As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Android Thread - Oh hey, Google is pretty cool.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Calgary (which looks to be the first Android phone Verizon will offer) looks nice and has a full qwerty keyboard.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chuv wrote: »
    I find the G1 to be the only Android phone so far that doesn't make me want to stab my eyes with a BBQ sauce covered fork. I think it looks good, and the rest look terrible. Touch, Lancaster, Bigfoot and Morrison all look so childish. And who the fuck made up the names for those lat two anyway?

Really?

2878-htc-magic-1.jpg

3480904966_ea3231bed8.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChuvChuv Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Calgary looks really like, sci-fi, but in a good way I think. I'd have to hold it.

Yes, Visti. That bottom one looks OK though.

Chuv on
    PSN: Chuvakie
    XBL: Chewyy
    Steam: chuvakie
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not going to go so far as to say that I dislike any of the other Android phones' appearances, but I'll say this, I can't use a soft keyboard to save my life, and I adore the feel and heft of my G1.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    I think I actually really dislike the G1's look over the Magic. I just wish I could get it in black. I mean look at that picture. That is sleek.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Yeah but it's not really all that different. You can tell that they are from the same family and all. Different buttons, no slide screen, a little slimmer.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As far as I'm concerned, the Hero overshadows the Magic by so much that it might as well not exist.

Fats on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, the Hero overshadows the Magic by so much that it might as well not exist.
    Which is why T-Mobile are being homps and not releasing it. They just spent all this time gearing up for the Magic. Fuckers.

JAEF on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well you might as well include the rumored Motorola "Morrison" and the Samsung "Bigfoot", too

Something on LG's website confirms another Android Phone (LG GW620) with a QWERTY keyboard. Screen resolution is 320x480. It's an Android device profile so you can read through the XML yourself to glean some more details.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Which is why T-Mobile are being homps and not releasing it. They just spent all this time gearing up for the Magic. Fuckers.

there's going to be even better Android phones by Q4 this year, mark my words

Centipede Damascus on
    edited July 2009

In the states though? That don't look like piles of ass? I'm really not sure that I need a keyboard at this point.

JAEF on
    edited July 2009

In the looks department, maybe. The jack is really the only significant hardware change.

Not that that's not awesome.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009

In the states though? That don't look like piles of ass? I'm really not sure that I need a keyboard at this point.

the internet seems pretty convinced that the Samsung i7500 is coming to T-Mobile USA at the end of the year

which I hope is true because it answers every wish I have about an Android phone

gt-i7500_03_600.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
  • ReckonerReckoner Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Samsung Galaxy is pretty ugly.o_O

Reckoner on
    edited July 2009
    The i7500 definitely seems like a powerhouse. I can't wait till the next Android generation.. If a phone comes out with radically better hardware, I might even switch.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Visti wrote: »

In the looks department, maybe. The jack is really the only significant hardware change.

It's all about the Teflon coating.

Fats on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's all about the Teflon coating.

According to Engadget that's only available on the white Hero units. Their black Hero didn't have it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, The Hero's really has sexed up the Android home screens. Stupid Tmobile.

Check out the UI. Really damn nice looking.

http://tv.slashgear.com/htc-hero-unboxing-and-sense-ui-overview-515/

Kyougu on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

the internet seems pretty convinced that the Samsung i7500 is coming to T-Mobile USA at the end of the year

which I hope is true because it answers every wish I have about an Android phone

gt-i7500_03_600.jpg
    yeah this here
    might be enough to convince me to stay on t-mo if true

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    pending reviews of course and whatnot

also, umm how does google voice now play into androids existence

also does anyone actually think they will use their google voice number

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited July 2009
    I don't know, but I signed up anyway.

Also I downloaded the app.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited July 2009
    Seems like a complete waste of time if you only use one cellphone.

My T-Mobile sales buddy said their Samsung rep said that his brother's girlfriend's dad said that they're trying to get the i7500 stateside by the end of the year.

JAEF on
    edited July 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

Also, keep in mind that this is available on the Magic now.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Is it available as a normal update? Or do you have to hack it in?

Impersonator on
    edited July 2009
    Second one. But it is stupid easy.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's good to know, thanks. :)

Impersonator on
    edited July 2009

I have to say, I actually don't like that home screen that much. Looks too much like TouchFLO to me.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited July 2009
    Anyone know of a way to tether a G1 without root access?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Anyone know of a way to tether a G1 without root access?

yeah, live in Europe and use a provider that doesn't ban tethering.

otherwise you're gonna need that root access.

Daedalus on
    edited July 2009

Is it available as a normal update? Or do you have to hack it in?

They also got it running on the G1 too, though the process seems to be more complicated.

And yeah Centipede, that UI is just a modified Touch Flo to run with Android.

Kyougu on
    edited July 2009
    I've said it before: I had it on my Magic and I don't like it. While it at a glance looks like pretty much the same layout, just shinier and with some cool additions, they have changed some stuff that I really liked about the old setup. Namely, sliding the menu up from beneath, which is now only available as a button press. And not a button press in the center - in the side, like some sort of start button. I understand that having three seperate buttons on the bottom is handy (there's one in the middle for call, one on the left for menu and one more that I don't remember), but I can't see why I can't just slide it up for menu like normal and still press once for whatever function that button represents. Oh, yeah. And for total confusion, you can still slide it down easily.

So, yeah, it's nitpicking, but still. It will take some getting used to, if they make it a mandantory update.

edit: Oh, so I just read that you can turn off the Sense interface. Awesome.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm really interested in getting an android phone, but I'm in a bit of a unique situation so I'm hoping someone will have some good advice. Right now I'm in the US using t-mobile, and I'm due for a new phone so I could just get a g1 for about $200. However, I'll be going to the UK to spend 9 months doing a study abroad, so I could easily get a hero when I go over in September, use it while I'm there and then bring it back with me. The hero looks pretty swanky, but since I'll be over there for less than a year I don't think I qualify for any sort of carrier discount, especially since right now I'm looking at getting the t-mobile monthly service that doesn't require a contract.

Are there likely to be any deals I could get on it or should I just pick up a cheapish g1 now and be happy with it?

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    You would probably have to pay full price for a Hero, so it comes down to how much you could spend.

Though with the new Android phones in the horizon, I would personally hold off on purchasing a G1.

Kyougu on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You would probably have to pay full price for a Hero, so it comes down to how much you could spend.

Though with the new Android phones in the horizon, I would personally hold off on purchasing a G1.

My father and I have both had major problems with our G1s due to firmware updates over the last 2 months. The cupcake update completely killed internet access on my phone somehow, forcing an exchange when nothing else worked. The more recent update of this past week rendered my father's unable to make or receive calls, also necessitating an exchange. Then the new G1 he ended up with has been unable to access pictures and other data stored on his SIM card....

My previous phone was a T-Mobile Dash, also made by HTC, which also had numerous problems - among them just randomly shutting down at any given moment. Frankly, at this point I wouldn't recommend ANY HTC made phone, based on personal experiences. I really like the G1, but the reliability issues would prevent me from selling someone else on it. I'd look into an Android phone from another manufacturer.

Ketar on
    edited July 2009
    HTC excels at making absolutely fantastic but tragically flawed hardware. Pass on the G1, there might even be a nice phone out in September before you leave.

JAEF on
    edited July 2009
    I've never had any real problems with my G1, but at this stage in the game, if I didn't already have an Android phone, I'd hold off until later this year when the new generation will be coming out. Stuff like the Samsung i7500 and such.

Centipede Damascus on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will hold off for now, especially seeing how t-mobile's 3g in my area is spotty at best. Hopefully it'll be more solid with my fancy new phone when I get back.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    As happy as I am with the Magic (The only HTC phone that I've had with no problems whatsoever), I would totally say hold off as well. Things are only starting to take off.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    I really hope their next lines of phones come with some good storage space. Talking 8 Gigs mininum.

Kyougu on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really hope their next lines of phones come with some good storage space. Talking 8 Gigs mininum.

Don't the current batch have MicroSD slots? What's the problem?

Daedalus on
This discussion has been closed.