As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Android Thread - Oh hey, Google is pretty cool.

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just got my Incredible yesterday, so I haven't had the chance to test it out thoroughly, but my first impressions are extremely positive. Granted, it's my first smart phone but I've had an iPod Touch for a couple years now to compare it with.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So I've got a Nexus One that I'm quite satisfied with, but I need to pick up a cheaper Android phone for my girlfriend because she doesn't want me to get her an expensive phone (and I probably don't have the money anyway). I'm on T-Mo. What should I get? I'm thinking my best option is picking up a used G1 from Craigslist or something, is this a horrible idea?

Yes.

Go with the Magic. The G1 wasn't bad for the a launch Android unit, but it's so outdated compared to everything that is out now.

As far as I can tell, the HTC Magic on T-mobile (the myTouch 3G, and I couldn't come up with a shittier name if I tried) is identical to the G1 except it doesn't have a foldout keyboard. Same processor, RAM, radio, battery, screen, etc. (edit: I understand Europe got a non-gimped version of the thing, of course).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I"m thinkin of switching to Verizon

How's the reviews on the Incredible so far?

Good phone, poor battery life, extremely unfriendly to being dropped.

I've dropped mine five or six times now (from about 3 feet up). The cover came off once, but yea, I'd buy a case.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I've got a Nexus One that I'm quite satisfied with, but I need to pick up a cheaper Android phone for my girlfriend because she doesn't want me to get her an expensive phone (and I probably don't have the money anyway). I'm on T-Mo. What should I get? I'm thinking my best option is picking up a used G1 from Craigslist or something, is this a horrible idea?

Yes.

Go with the Magic. The G1 wasn't bad for the a launch Android unit, but it's so outdated compared to everything that is out now.

As far as I can tell, the HTC Magic on T-mobile (the myTouch 3G, and I couldn't come up with a shittier name if I tried) is identical to the G1 except it doesn't have a foldout keyboard. Same processor, RAM, radio, battery, screen, etc. (edit: I understand Europe got a non-gimped version of the thing, of course).

One important difference, the SDL is large enough to handle Android 2.x. The G1, despite having enough ROM, is not partitioned correctly to make it work.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So I"m thinkin of switching to Verizon

How's the reviews on the Incredible so far?

Good phone, poor battery life, extremely unfriendly to being dropped.

I've dropped mine five or six times now (from about 3 feet up). The cover came off once, but yea, I'd buy a case.

I haven't had one to stress test myself, but this right here would indicate to me that it's a good idea to be super cautious with it:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/05/27/quick-tip-dont-drop-your-droid-incredible/

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I am considering upgrading from no phone right now to a smart phone, how much more awesome will my life be and how much should I expect to pay a month? I haven't really followed this whole thing but after reading a bunch of guides that were all outdated it looks like the Nexus is the best phone to get, is there anything new coming out in the next 6 months I should wait for?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I am considering upgrading from no phone right now to a smart phone, how much more awesome will my life be and how much should I expect to pay a month? I haven't really followed this whole thing but after reading a bunch of guides that were all outdated it looks like the Nexus is the best phone to get, is there anything new coming out in the next 6 months I should wait for?

Most data plans are 30-40 a month tacked on top of a regular phone plan...Which could average anywhere from $10-15 to $70-80, depending on just how much you need.

Depending on your phone usage and any close friends/family members available, a family plan is often MUCH cheaper per person. I pay my phone's data plan and insurance right now, and I'm making out like a bandit by having access to the the infinite texts and plenty of minutes that my family shells out for without having to handle those myself.

Also, how much more awesome will depend on the exact phone and what you do with it. Mine gives me permanent internet access, nigh-infinite musics, the weather, price comparisons, and a lot more, but not all of that will be useful to everyone.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yalborap wrote: »

Most data plans are 30-40 a month tacked on top of a regular phone plan...Which could average anywhere from $10-15 to $70-80, depending on just how much you need.

Depending on your phone usage and any close friends/family members available, a family plan is often MUCH cheaper per person. I pay my phone's data plan and insurance right now, and I'm making out like a bandit by having access to the the infinite texts and plenty of minutes that my family shells out for without having to handle those myself.

Also, how much more awesome will depend on the exact phone and what you do with it. Mine gives me permanent internet access, nigh-infinite musics, the weather, price comparisons, and a lot more, but not all of that will be useful to everyone.

The cheapest individual plan I know of is the $60/mo 500min/unlimited text/unlimited data plan from T-mobile, but you pretty much need to live in a major metropolitan area, or you won't have 3G coverage. Or fucking voice coverage for that matter. Also you need to pay the full cost of the phone upfront but that's okay because you save money that way.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i dunno, i have been surprised at the coverage i get with Tmobile. its not like it was with verizon, but i wouldn't call it awful.

can the nexus one do wifi calling rather than use minutes.

we really need a consolidated recomended apps list, i just got mine and dont want to be that guy asking what the best apps are

So what are the best apps to download?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So I'm looking at ways to get my iTunes media over to my Incredible. DoubleTwist would be a good option except it took more than a day to read my iTunes library when I tested it. That would be fine...if it didn't then have to reread the whole thing again after restarting the program or adding anything to iTunes. Such a shame, as I expect the new Android DoubleTwist app would have given me the iTunes+iPod-like integration I would like to see. Oh well.

For now, I'm considering using Salling Media Sync to sync my music, podcasts, and iTunes U content as it seems to work well enough, but I find the Music application on the Incredible itself to be rather weak. I'd like to be able to sync playback positions of synced podcasts between the phone and iTunes, but I don't expect there's anything available for that, right? Is there at least an app for Android that will save playback positions for audio (and hopefully video) files?

I'm aware of Google Listen, but as far as I know it's geared toward downloading podcasts directly on the phone, but that's not a good solution for my particular usage and I don't think Listen is capable of playing arbitrary files stored on the phone. Is that right? I suppose I should just check. :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I flashed "Bugless Beast" to my Droid the other night. The new home screen is pretty sweet. Likewise with the smoked glass theme. I even managed to overclock to 1ghz with the low voltage kernel. This baby runs like a dream. I can't wait until I can get in on that Froyo action with BB.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I flashed "Bugless Beast" to my Droid the other night. The new home screen is pretty sweet. Likewise with the smoked glass theme. I even managed to overclock to 1ghz with the low voltage kernel. This baby runs like a dream. I can't wait until I can get in on that Froyo action with BB.

i think BB 1.1 has already got some bits of froyo in it's eclair

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The cheapest individual plan I know of is the $60/mo 500min/unlimited text/unlimited data plan from T-mobile, but you pretty much need to live in a major metropolitan area, or you won't have 3G coverage. Or fucking voice coverage for that matter. Also you need to pay the full cost of the phone upfront but that's okay because you save money that way.

Hah, finally something I pay less for in the UK!

£15 a month for 300min/unlimited texts/data, with £190 upfront for the Desire (way less than full unlocked retail price).

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone using the official twitter app and having problems with the widget? It stopped refreshing automatically and giving me notifications.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    can anyone recomendan app or something to change icons on like folders and stuff? i want to group some common apps/widgets together to keep things neat

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jonxp wrote: »

Yes.

One important difference, the SDL is large enough to handle Android 2.x. The G1, despite having enough ROM, is not partitioned correctly to make it work.

The non-gimped version just has more RAM, IIRC. I think the Magic got an update to include HTC Sense, though, so that might be a factor (for or against, depending on how much you like Sense.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »

£15 a month for 300min/unlimited texts/data, with £190 upfront for the Desire (way less than full unlocked retail price).

The U.S. cell service provider industry is ridiculously fucked up due to a combination of historical idiocy and industry collusion.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The reason that things cost more in the UK is that people get paid more in the UK.

Wanna try living on a minimum, wage of $7.25 USD? (Hell, it was $5.15 when I started working.)

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    Stuff about syncing podcasts and playing them on an Android phone with bookmarking and the like.

For anyone interested, bTunes appears to do what I want. As an added bonus, its interface rather closely matches the iPod app on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Its playback position saving is a little wonky--it seems to confuse bookmarks from one audio file with another--but I was also switching between podcasts far more often than I realistically would in normal usage so hopefully in practice it won't be a problem.

Another downside is that it isn't able to read the Incredible's internal storage (yet?). For now, I'm just putting my audiobook/podcast/iTunes U content on the 2GB microSD card Verizon threw in the box.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evander wrote: »

The reason that things cost more in the UK is that people get paid more in the UK.

Wanna try living on a minimum, wage of $7.25 USD? (Hell, it was $5.15 when I started working.)

Minimum wage is about $8.40 an hour in the UK.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey man up here in Canada we get shafted even more, I don't think there is a worse country for cell service. It is getting better, but even just a year ago customers were being bled dry

Dixon on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So whats everyones opinion on the HTC Hero?

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is anyone else slightly disappointed when they see this thread in their subscriptions panel and then suddenly remember we're not actually talking about robot butlers?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    People actually use the subscription panel?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I use it more often than forum index.

Alegis on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    Great phone but the hardware is behind the times and you'd be happier with something with a snapdragon in it. The speed differences readily apparent day to day. If someone gave you a Hero, use it. If you're buying something, get a more powerful phone.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alegis wrote: »

Why would you not use it?

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Great phone but the hardware is behind the times and you'd be happier with something with a snapdragon in it. The speed differences readily apparent day to day. If someone gave you a Hero, use it. If you're buying something, get a more powerful phone.

Well, I just bought one, but I'm coming from a Samsung Rant, and the Hero is only 80. For a budget, it seemed like a good deal to me.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »

Well, I just bought one, but I'm coming from a Samsung Rant, and the Hero is only 80. For a budget, it seemed like a good deal to me.
    It's a very solid phone, it'll keep you well. I just get a little frustrated with the speed of mine since I'm always around much faster phones.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ah. Hell, I'll be happy if it doesn't crash 20% of the time I'm on the internet and go to reply to a text. Or you know, go from shitty internet to regular internet.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    People actually use the subscription panel?

Why would you not use it?

I dunno. Maybe if you had a robot butler to do your browsing for you?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woo, HTC Desire - get!

Now... I need to find a good mail app (the built-in one is ok, but it'd be nice if there was another one out there with better handling of multiple accounts), and the market needs to fix the problem where I can't find Handcent SMS :(

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    K-9 Mail is a pretty good mail application. It's based on the built in app so it still may not quite meet your needs, but it works well for me.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    so what exactly do the launcher aps replace? i have seen people suggest launcher replacements

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mts wrote: »
    can anyone recomendan app or something to change icons on like folders and stuff? i want to group some common apps/widgets together to keep things neat

BetterCut is the only app that I know of that allows you to customize shortcut icons, but its $2. If someone knows of a free alternative, I'd be all over it.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    K-9 Mail is a pretty good mail application. It's based on the built in app so it still may not quite meet your needs, but it works well for me.

I couldn't find it when I looked yesterday. I'll check again.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Try here.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It showed up in the Market for me today. I kept seeing it as K 9 or K9, and those weren't coming up with anything.

Thanks!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Got froyo on my droid. need to get adobe up then I'll be set for hulu

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Got froyo on my droid. need to get adobe up then I'll be set for hulu
    This post is relevant to my interests....HOW?

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.