As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Android Thread - Oh hey, Google is pretty cool.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alegis on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So quick question for you guys.

Is K-9 Mail lying to me about me disabling background syncing, or does Google's IMAP service automatically push newly received emails as soon as they're received?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i was hoping my nexus one would ship with froyo but alas it didn't. at least it seems like these phones will be getting froyo first though

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Somewhere out on the interwebs is a file to update a nexus one to froyo. Looks like the only way to take Droid to 2.2 is to root it and for some reason I just can't bring myself to do that.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mts wrote: »
    so what exactly do the launcher aps replace? i have seen people suggest launcher replacements

As far as I know, there are three types of launchers out (with some subtypes). The launcher is what you press to see your apps. It can either slide up from the bottom (old standard android), have a button to slide it up in one side (HTC Sense) or a transparent button in the center that brings up a menu that can either be scrolled down or sideways, like the Ipod/Iphone OS (Nexus).

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alegis wrote: »

There's a kernal fix for the wifi issue, with overclocking options.

Setting up Flash and Hulu

Running Froyo at 1ghz, hulu is a little choppy from what little I've tried so far

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I am considering upgrading from no phone right now to a smart phone, how much more awesome will my life be and how much should I expect to pay a month? I haven't really followed this whole thing but after reading a bunch of guides that were all outdated it looks like the Nexus is the best phone to get, is there anything new coming out in the next 6 months I should wait for?

Sprint at www.sprint.com/everythingplus has a plan with 500 minutes, unlimited voice to cell phones from any carrier (so, 90% of the phones I call) and unlimited text and data for $59 per month. With taxes and phone insurance my bill is $73 or so.

Use russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com and 383 for the pin code (he's an executive of the company in the PR department that put his address out for people to use) and they'll ship the phone to you. You usually get them next day or the day after.

Sprint service is pretty damn good (much better than T-Mobile) and you can roam from free on Verizon's excellent network. They have a couple of Android phones, the best of which is the Evo, but you pay $10 more a month for that. Otherwise, the Hero is a decent phone.

badpoet on
  • Options
    HexHex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Got my Incredible back in April, love it, anyone looking for a phone on Verizon should totally pick it up. Battery life isn't an issue if you're smart about your internet usage, turn off wifi and gps when not is use, etc.

A little off topic, I've just finished up developing a free jigsaw puzzle app on my Incredible, and I'm wondering if any of you with 2.1+ would want to try it out for a couple minutes and let me know if you get any crashes, etc. Not trying to pimp my wares, just looking for some feedback. PM me if you're interested.

Or, if there's general interest I could post some links :P

Hex on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, this may have already been covered on here, but whats the word on the OTA update of Froyo for the Nexus One? I've heard that press phones have got it, but I'm still waiting. The other thing I heard is that it will be going out around mid-June.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    badpoet wrote: »
    I am considering upgrading from no phone right now to a smart phone, how much more awesome will my life be and how much should I expect to pay a month? I haven't really followed this whole thing but after reading a bunch of guides that were all outdated it looks like the Nexus is the best phone to get, is there anything new coming out in the next 6 months I should wait for?

Sprint at www.sprint.com/everythingplus has a plan with 500 minutes, unlimited voice to cell phones from any carrier (so, 90% of the phones I call) and unlimited text and data for $59 per month. With taxes and phone insurance my bill is $73 or so.

Use russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com and 383 for the pin code (he's an executive of the company in the PR department that put his address out for people to use) and they'll ship the phone to you. You usually get them next day or the day after.

Sprint service is pretty damn good (much better than T-Mobile) and you can roam from free on Verizon's excellent network. They have a couple of Android phones, the best of which is the Evo, but you pay $10 more a month for that. Otherwise, the Hero is a decent phone.

Does this deal apply only for new customers or existing customers?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    coverage i get with Tmobile

I've found the trick to getting great coverage with T-Mobile is to spend 90% of your time within a couple miles of their US headquarters

You guys should try that

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    badpoet wrote: »

Does this deal apply only for new customers or existing customers?

I think it's only supposed to apply to new, but a guy in another thread thinks you can get it added to yours. I got the deal when I switched from my old SERO plan to a EverythingPlus plan and the switch was painless (meaning that I just upgraded my phone online and was forced to switch to the new plan during the upgrade).

badpoet on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    coverage i get with Tmobile

I've found the trick to getting great coverage with T-Mobile is to spend 90% of your time within a couple miles of their US headquarters

You guys should try that

The DC-Baltimore area is also really well hooked up, but if I'm ever on a trip that takes me to the middle of fucking nowhere (like Delaware, or central Pennsylvania, or whatever) it turns to shit quite quickly.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Froyo is damn amazing on my Droid.

Why didn't I root sooner? That was painless and this thing has never run faster or looked better :)

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Awww, my Incredible wants some Froyo too!!! :cry:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    Froyo is damn amazing on my Droid.

Why didn't I root sooner? That was painless and this thing has never run faster or looked better :)

I need to see if there is any comparison videos on youtube when I get home. Speaking of time to start the commute.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What's the roadmap on development for a free divx/xvid player for Android handsets?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just watched the iPhone 4 video... did anyone else find it humorous that when they stated the screen eliminates glare just as glare was creeping its way across the screen?

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The dicks @hulu have blocked android :(

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yeah what the fuck. You'd think they'd be all over this, like writing their own app or something. How does this benefit them at all?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How were you guys accessing it? Browser? Can't you mask it by changing the user agent?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How were you guys accessing it? Browser? Can't you mask it by changing the user agent?

I dunno if Hulu is doing this yet (I'm still on 2.1, dammit Cyanogen!) but they could easily block you based on your IP address if it indicates that your ISP is a cellular carrier.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »

Yeah what the fuck. You'd think they'd be all over this, like writing their own app or something. How does this benefit them at all?

They don't have mobile distribution rights to their content. If they officially allowed it, their content providers would probably sue the everliving fuck out of them.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Supposedly hulu is doing an ipad app.

But, supposedly it'll also be for pay. And I have no idea if that'd be considered "mobile" or not...I guess that depends if they restrict it to wifi or not.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For any stock 2.1 Droid users out there, this guide is perfect to get that delicious Froyo update. With this, you can get to rooted 2.1 to install Nandroid without having to revert back to 2.0.1, which was what was keeping me from rooting 2.1.

This is fantastic. In the process of getting to 2.2.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Apparently HTC have let it slip that the Desire is getting a froyo update 23 June

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Apparently HTC have let it slip that the Desire is getting a froyo update 23 June

Yay!

Hopefully it won't wipe everything and make me redownload my stuff...

By the way, if I were to pay for an app from the Marketplace and uninstall it on accident, will it remember that I bought it and allow me to redownload for free? Or would I have to rebuy it?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »

Yay!

Hopefully it won't wipe everything and make me redownload my stuff...

By the way, if I were to pay for an app from the Marketplace and uninstall it on accident, will it remember that I bought it and allow me to redownload for free? Or would I have to rebuy it?

Double yay!

And I'm pretty sure that stuff you've paid for and then uninstalled still appears in the "downloads" section of the marketplace so you can just redownload it.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whenever you log in to any Android phone with the same gmail account your "my downloads" section in the market will show your purchased apps available for free redownload.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    so on the topic of redownloading, is there a way to back up apps and such? Using a nexus but no froyo so i can't save things to the SD card.

also

anyone know of an app or setting change that would allow me to customize a time frame for alerts to be on? like from 8am to 10pm notification sounds and lights would be on but from 10pm to 8am only the ringer?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    anyone know of an app or setting change that would allow me to customize a time frame for alerts to be on? like from 8am to 10pm notification sounds and lights would be on but from 10pm to 8am only the ringer?

I use ProfileChanger to save headaches. I have it set up to go into vibrate-only mode every night at 10:30pm when the wife goes to bed, wake up when I do at 7:30am into a full profile and then on weekdays it goes back into vibrate-only from 9:00am to 5:30pm for the workday.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I use ProfileChanger to save headaches. I have it set up to go into vibrate-only mode every night at 10:30pm when the wife goes to bed, wake up when I do at 7:30am into a full profile and then on weekdays it goes back into vibrate-only from 9:00am to 5:30pm for the workday.

I actually found another one that seems to be good. Sound manager seems to do a similar thing. seems useful

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Whenever you log in to any Android phone with the same gmail account your "my downloads" section in the market will show your purchased apps available for free redownload.

Actually when I just *cough*ed my phone last night and updated to 2.*cough* Fr*cough*... sorry to many cigs last night ;) all my apps I had installed downloaded after I synced to my google account.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    huh anyone see this yet?

seems neat
    http://gesturesearch.googlelabs.com/

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Actually when I just *cough*ed my phone last night and updated to 2.*cough* Fr*cough*... sorry to many cigs last night ;) all my apps I had installed downloaded after I synced to my google account.

Auto-updates, FTW. Market thinking I need updates to programs I uninstalled months ago, FTF.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah i tried gesture search. Not really any faster for me, but it is more fun. Useful if you have way too many contacts and apps.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Auto-updates, FTW. Market thinking I need updates to programs I uninstalled months ago, FTF.

Actually looking through the app list the only apps I got that I had uninstalled were the google apps earth and goggles.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    With all the Android phones I've reloaded service onto I've seen a very small handful of occasions where it automatically reloads the apps you've previously downloaded. Slightly more often I've seen the my downloads list show the apps you had downloaded but make the downloads manual, and a great majority of the time I simply see the my downloads section being completely empty aside from purchased apps.

Maybe the Nexus One is different, but I don't deal with that phone at all. Also on my Hero even my update notifications don't work for the market, I always have to go in and manually download updates. Anyway those are my anecdotal findings. I know update notifications work swimmingly on the Motorola Droid though.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I was referring to Froyo's auto update feature.

And for a long time I've been getting update notifications for an app I uninstalled. I can update the uninstalled app, and I can uninstall the updates, but I can't run the app, and I can't remove it from my market downloads.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not sure if this is a Sense thing, or an Android thing, but: On my HTC Hero, since the 2.1-update, I've noticed that the clock + weather widget (the half page one) I keep on my home has started animating based on the weather. If it's cloudy, whispy clouds will animate across my home page when I unlock the phone. If it's raining, rain drops will drop down and a wind shield wiper sweeps across the home screen. Useless, but somehow very cool. Made me smile anyway.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.