As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Android Thread - Oh hey, Google is pretty cool.

15961636465

Posts

  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a Sense thing, or an Android thing, but: On my HTC Hero, since the 2.1-update, I've noticed that the clock + weather widget (the half page one) I keep on my home has started animating based on the weather. If it's cloudy, whispy clouds will animate across my home page when I unlock the phone. If it's raining, rain drops will drop down and a wind shield wiper sweeps across the home screen. Useless, but somehow very cool. Made me smile anyway.

    I have beautiful widgets and they updated around the same time to do the same thing. Was kind of trippy to see it the first time but I like it.

    Jubal77 on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a Sense thing, or an Android thing, but: On my HTC Hero, since the 2.1-update, I've noticed that the clock + weather widget (the half page one) I keep on my home has started animating based on the weather. If it's cloudy, whispy clouds will animate across my home page when I unlock the phone. If it's raining, rain drops will drop down and a wind shield wiper sweeps across the home screen. Useless, but somehow very cool. Made me smile anyway.
    That's via Sense 2.1

    blood unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to mess with Froyo so I wasn't sure what you were referring to.

    JAEF on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was just clarifying my previous statement.

    Just noticed that froyo does animated gifs

    bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait what? In the default photo viewer it supports them? That's pretty classy.

    JAEF on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In the web browser too, I presume.

    It used to not animate the gifs.

    Jragghen on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I saw a cool trick while watching some youtube vids on 2.2. In Gallery if you "pinch out" on a collection the pictures in the collection cascade from one finger to the other. Nice subtle add on.

    Jubal77 on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a Sense thing, or an Android thing, but: On my HTC Hero, since the 2.1-update, I've noticed that the clock + weather widget (the half page one) I keep on my home has started animating based on the weather. If it's cloudy, whispy clouds will animate across my home page when I unlock the phone. If it's raining, rain drops will drop down and a wind shield wiper sweeps across the home screen. Useless, but somehow very cool. Made me smile anyway.

    This is my favorite feature of Android.

    rndmhero on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Wait what? In the default photo viewer it supports them? That's pretty classy.

    Seems to be only in browser. I noticed it in someones sig, and test out some other gifs in the browser, but they didn't seem to work in the gallery.

    bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I've barely got an Android phone yesterday, an HTC Hero. All today I've been having trouble getting internet. If I'm not around wi-fi it just won't pull internet at all. What the hell?

    clsCorwin on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a Sense thing, or an Android thing, but: On my HTC Hero, since the 2.1-update, I've noticed that the clock + weather widget (the half page one) I keep on my home has started animating based on the weather. If it's cloudy, whispy clouds will animate across my home page when I unlock the phone. If it's raining, rain drops will drop down and a wind shield wiper sweeps across the home screen. Useless, but somehow very cool. Made me smile anyway.
    That's via Sense 2.1

    blood unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to mess with Froyo so I wasn't sure what you were referring to.

    Used to be that the flip clock would actually flip, too, but they removed it in an update.

    Unless they've put it back; I haven't used the widget for ages.

    Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just got an Evo. I absolutely fucking LOVE it.

    But Im CLUELESS about Android. Ive been playing with this thing for like 6 hours and I feel so lost. I love the ease of the android marketplace and stuff, but Im finding it really hard to figure out how to set this thing up.

    So basically, is my "All Apps" page kind of just a dumping ground for everything I download, and then using "scenes" I pick the ones I want most and use them there?

    And I love widgets - how do I get more widgets? I downloaded Sportacular, thinking Id be able to get some scores widgets going on - but then when I hit add widget it's not an option. Is there a place to see what has a widget attatched to it?

    And a really, really minor questions - Is there any way to put people in my "Favorites" widget thing in the order I want and not alphabetical order? And where the hell did that widget come from, anyways? I dont see it on the list so Im scared to delete it, thinking I'd never find it again.

    Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll be bothering the hell out of you in the weeks to come.

    I, personally, could never see myself going back to an iPhone after this.

    mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I know this was a minor point for you but the "Favorites" widget is the first style of the "People" widget by HTC. You can also set it up to be a 1x3 column if you don't want it taking up the full screen.

    SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I know this was a minor point for you but the "Favorites" widget is the first style of the "People" widget by HTC. You can also set it up to be a 1x3 column if you don't want it taking up the full screen.

    Awesome - thank you.

    One last minor question for anyone - can you put widgets on the lock screen? I thought I read somewhere that was a big selling point on Android, being able to check things without having to unlock the phone. I found Flyscreen or whatever but it changed the general look of my lock screen so I didn't use it...

    mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    One last minor question for anyone - can you put widgets on the lock screen? I thought I read somewhere that was a big selling point on Android, being able to check things without having to unlock the phone. I found Flyscreen or whatever but it changed the general look of my lock screen so I didn't use it...

    I have no idea, but if you find out make sure you post it in this thread! I've wanted something better than the standard notification icon in the corner / first few words of a text message for as long as I've had the phone.

    SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I want to switch to Android, and the Evo looks damned good. I mean amazing for what I need (the whole 3g/4g WiFi hotspot will save me much grief at work and while on trips). But I need to know if there's a good Android (or Windows that will upload to my phone) app equivalent to iTunes that's essentially an aggregator for podcasts. I haven't really looked much, but what I've come across is nowhere near as convenient.

    Teth on
    #1
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just read that if you unistall a purchased app within 24 hours you get a refund.

    Is that true?

    That can't be true.

    That makes WAY TOO MUCH SENSE to be true.

    mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can definitely get a refund on purchased apps, and it is within the first 24 hours, but I'm not sure it's by just uninstalling the app. You might have to uninstall and visit your Google Checkout account on the web (I've only ever done it once, and that was ages ago).
    Teth wrote: »
    I want to switch to Android, and the Evo looks damned good. I mean amazing for what I need (the whole 3g/4g WiFi hotspot will save me much grief at work and while on trips). But I need to know if there's a good Android (or Windows that will upload to my phone) app equivalent to iTunes that's essentially an aggregator for podcasts. I haven't really looked much, but what I've come across is nowhere near as convenient.

    doubleTwist just released a player for Android, and is probably as close to iTunes as you can get (hell, the page quote is from TechCrunch, calling it "iTunes for Android" :P)

    Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I cannot believe the backorder for this Evo. Now if only Zune was allowed...

    LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When I've uninstalled an app in the first 24 hours, the refund has been automatic. :^:

    gilrain on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is incredible. Instead of asking around about how the NES Emulator is with touch controls, Ill just TRY IT.

    WHODA THUNK IT!

    mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is really random, but would there be anyway to use your android as a garage opener? I see people using them as remote controls, and was wondering if the same could be used for garages

    Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    This is really random, but would there be anyway to use your android as a garage opener? I see people using them as remote controls, and was wondering if the same could be used for garages

    It should be possible, as the phone can send an RFID signal. That said, I have zero idea how to do it, and I doubt there is a ready made app for it. You'd have to learn the radio library of Android and write it yourself. It should be simple though: You just need to know the frequencies for open and close, and have a button in your app.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh man, Norton Anti-virus for Android. *shudder*

    bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    This is really random, but would there be anyway to use your android as a garage opener? I see people using them as remote controls, and was wondering if the same could be used for garages

    It should be possible, as the phone can send an RFID signal. That said, I have zero idea how to do it, and I doubt there is a ready made app for it. You'd have to learn the radio library of Android and write it yourself. It should be simple though: You just need to know the frequencies for open and close, and have a button in your app.

    it would be significantly more complicated considering that any modern garage door opener is on a rolling frequency pattern.

    Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    This is really random, but would there be anyway to use your android as a garage opener? I see people using them as remote controls, and was wondering if the same could be used for garages

    It should be possible, as the phone can send an RFID signal. That said, I have zero idea how to do it, and I doubt there is a ready made app for it. You'd have to learn the radio library of Android and write it yourself. It should be simple though: You just need to know the frequencies for open and close, and have a button in your app.

    it would be significantly more complicated considering that any modern garage door opener is on a rolling frequency pattern.

    This goes back to my "zero idea how to actually do it" part, because I didn't know this. It makes sense, for security reasons though. Especially with how easy RFID scanners are to get.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My Hero refuses to get internet unless I'm on wi-fi.

    I say again, wtf? HALP!

    clsCorwin on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Teth wrote: »
    I want to switch to Android, and the Evo looks damned good. I mean amazing for what I need (the whole 3g/4g WiFi hotspot will save me much grief at work and while on trips). But I need to know if there's a good Android (or Windows that will upload to my phone) app equivalent to iTunes that's essentially an aggregator for podcasts. I haven't really looked much, but what I've come across is nowhere near as convenient.

    Doggcatcher is the best, though pricey at 8 bucks.

    It automatically downloads podcasts to your phone (through 3G and Wifi) and automatically deletes them when you have listened to them. There hasn't been a podcast that I had trouble with.

    Kyougu on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    My Hero refuses to get internet unless I'm on wi-fi.

    I say again, wtf? HALP!

    It's hard to troubleshoot this, any particular symptoms, errors, etc.?

    Impersonator on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    My Hero refuses to get internet unless I'm on wi-fi.

    I say again, wtf? HALP!

    ok.

    step 1. google your problem, read about known existing errors and common fixes

    step 2. failing that try all the basics, battery pull, toggle data on off, toggle airplane mode, toggle wifi, power cycle device.

    step 3. call tech support for your provider.


    Hard troubleshooting like this is not only not really suited to this forum, but for you would be incredibly painfully slow. as evidenced by your multiple unanswered posts so far.

    Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone gotten a chance to play with the mytouch 3g slide? I was in the t-mobile store today to see whether they were selling nexus ones in store yet, and the guy was pushing it as a good alternative. It definitely didn't seem as good as the nexus one, but it would also be much, much cheaper, so I'd definitely be able to justify replacing it sooner rather than later. I'm still leaning towards the n1, but figured it'd be good to check to see if anyone had played with one yet.

    Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So how different is HTC's Sense UI vs a stock Android build? I'm not really complaining about it per se, but I've been pretty anal about turning off most of my apps to maximize battery life on it, and have ended up crashing Sense quite a few times, somehow >.<

    Then again, maybe I don't really need to be so uptight about letting programs run in the background...

    Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fodder wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten a chance to play with the mytouch 3g slide? I was in the t-mobile store today to see whether they were selling nexus ones in store yet, and the guy was pushing it as a good alternative. It definitely didn't seem as good as the nexus one, but it would also be much, much cheaper, so I'd definitely be able to justify replacing it sooner rather than later. I'm still leaning towards the n1, but figured it'd be good to check to see if anyone had played with one yet.

    What do you want to know about it? I've set a couple of them up (and own a Nexus myself, for comparison.)

    On an overall level, I do ultimately prefer my Nexus, but I AM jealous of that keyboard.

    Evander on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    So how different is HTC's Sense UI vs a stock Android build? I'm not really complaining about it per se, but I've been pretty anal about turning off most of my apps to maximize battery life on it, and have ended up crashing Sense quite a few times, somehow >.<

    Then again, maybe I don't really need to be so uptight about letting programs run in the background...

    You can disable the Sense Home launcher, but you won't be restoring the stock Android apps (e.g. Calendar, Contacts, Messaging). If all you're worried about is the launcher and widgets using up battery, that could be an option.

    As for battery life, that's extremely dependent on things like how often apps will use your data connection; I only have the standard push Google Sync going alongside Seesmic updating every 20 minutes, and my Hero's battery life doesn't drain a whole lot unless I'm actively using it to surf the web; my Battery Usage thing consistently has Display as the largest source of battery use, followed by Cell Standby (which is a fraction of the Display percentage).

    Another thing you could try is to look in Wireless & Networks for the "Enable Always-On Data" option (something like that). Turning that off will basically disable your data connection whenever the screen is off, with the exception of Google's push syncing stuff; this should help battery life, but needless to say it screws up apps that are set to auto-refresh. This is just my experience with it, though - I've seen reports that people have managed to get their apps auto-refreshing and noticing no difference between it on and off.

    Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    This is really random, but would there be anyway to use your android as a garage opener? I see people using them as remote controls, and was wondering if the same could be used for garages

    It should be possible, as the phone can send an RFID signal. That said, I have zero idea how to do it, and I doubt there is a ready made app for it. You'd have to learn the radio library of Android and write it yourself. It should be simple though: You just need to know the frequencies for open and close, and have a button in your app.

    short answer: No, this is not even conceivable except in a thrilling movie, such as Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard. Now on Blu Ray!

    Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    So how different is HTC's Sense UI vs a stock Android build? I'm not really complaining about it per se, but I've been pretty anal about turning off most of my apps to maximize battery life on it, and have ended up crashing Sense quite a few times, somehow >.<

    Then again, maybe I don't really need to be so uptight about letting programs run in the background...

    You can disable the Sense Home launcher, but you won't be restoring the stock Android apps (e.g. Calendar, Contacts, Messaging). If all you're worried about is the launcher and widgets using up battery, that could be an option.

    As for battery life, that's extremely dependent on things like how often apps will use your data connection; I only have the standard push Google Sync going alongside Seesmic updating every 20 minutes, and my Hero's battery life doesn't drain a whole lot unless I'm actively using it to surf the web; my Battery Usage thing consistently has Display as the largest source of battery use, followed by Cell Standby (which is a fraction of the Display percentage).

    Another thing you could try is to look in Wireless & Networks for the "Enable Always-On Data" option (something like that). Turning that off will basically disable your data connection whenever the screen is off, with the exception of Google's push syncing stuff; this should help battery life, but needless to say it screws up apps that are set to auto-refresh. This is just my experience with it, though - I've seen reports that people have managed to get their apps auto-refreshing and noticing no difference between it on and off.

    Eh, the battery isn't a huge concern, I'd just like to tweak it to get a bit more out if possible.

    I don't have this Google Sync thing. Is it built-in or an app?

    I'll play around with the data option. I may need to keep it running, as Softbank's network doesn't have MMS (mobile to mobile) texting available, for some stupid reason. In-network SMS is fine, but any other network and I have to use my GMail account, so I need to keep it active (at least Background Sync) in case someone tries to get ahold of me. It's really retarded.

    Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Your contacts and calendar automatically sync with your attached GMail account unless you've disabled it, this is built into the OS.

    JAEF on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Your contacts and calendar automatically sync with your attached GMail account unless you've disabled it, this is built into the OS.

    Ok, yeah, I disabled it.

    Still gotta play around with some settings. I really enjoy how you can tweak it to do exactly what you want, though. :)

    By the way (sorry for all the questions, some of them being pretty stupid >.<), is there any way to keep the HTC messages app from starting up when I use Handcent? Or will that just happen?

    Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It will just happen. Make sure you've gone into messages and disabled it from retrieving messages or your texts will end up all wishy washy.

    JAEF on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of sync, so I had contacts sync'd from my gmail, as well as my old address book ported over. Not all contacts are showing up in People (HTC Hero). I can search them, but I don't want to have to type.

    clsCorwin on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    Speaking of sync, so I had contacts sync'd from my gmail, as well as my old address book ported over. Not all contacts are showing up in People (HTC Hero). I can search them, but I don't want to have to type.

    Hit Menu and check the settings under View, maybe?

    Cokebotle on
    工事中
This discussion has been closed.