As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Android Thread - Oh hey, Google is pretty cool.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Hero doesn't have those view options in its contact list. You either have a contact, and it's displayed, or you don't. Easiest way to double check everything is going to be in your contact list in GMail. Hit the web site and make sure everything's kosher.

JAEF on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eh? It does have a View option when you hit Menu, at least on mine. Hitting it brings up SIM, Google (with a Show auto Gmail contacts sub-option), Phone, and Facebook as toggleable (heh) options.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Well that'd be a notable difference between the GSM and CDMA versions of the OS then. Damn you GSM *shakes fist*

JAEF on
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    Speaking of sync, so I had contacts sync'd from my gmail, as well as my old address book ported over. Not all contacts are showing up in People (HTC Hero). I can search them, but I don't want to have to type.

Hit Menu and check the settings under View, maybe?

Bingo

clsCorwin on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Well that'd be a notable difference between the GSM and CDMA versions of the OS then. Damn you GSM *shakes fist*

At least you got your official 2.1 update :P

(The custom GSM ones were pretty much all based off either Droid Eris ports or the CDMA Hero 2.1 update; nowadays they're based on the Taiwanese update that just came out - no WWE release just yet.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Well, win some lose some.

JAEF on
  • GlitchGlitch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Fodder wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten a chance to play with the mytouch 3g slide? I was in the t-mobile store today to see whether they were selling nexus ones in store yet, and the guy was pushing it as a good alternative. It definitely didn't seem as good as the nexus one, but it would also be much, much cheaper, so I'd definitely be able to justify replacing it sooner rather than later. I'm still leaning towards the n1, but figured it'd be good to check to see if anyone had played with one yet.

What do you want to know about it? I've set a couple of them up (and own a Nexus myself, for comparison.)

On an overall level, I do ultimately prefer my Nexus, but I AM jealous of that keyboard.

I like my clean vanilla Android (albeit with hacked-up parts) on my Droid a lot better than I like the Sense UI phones I've played with. I did install the HTC Sense keyboard though, and it is awesome. I'm sure you can do it on the N1- just google around for HTC_IME, I'm sure you can find a download and tutorial on XDA Developers.

Glitch on
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On a somewhat different note, has anyone else had run-ins with apps wanting more permissions than would seem necessary? The particular app that gave me pause was Caligo Chaser, an admittedly cool-looking hack and slash RPG. It's a port from a pretty major iPhone games company, which makes me a lot less suspicious about phishing and the like, but it still wants access to stuff like GPS location, network communication, phone identity, etc. That seems a bit much for an offline RPG, but I really don't have much of a reference point. Should I be concerned?

rndmhero on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, so this has me stumped and annoyed. I added a new contact (twice mind you) and it's not showing up. His first name begins with an A, so he should be right there at the top of my contacts screen after I complete it, but he's not.

Anyone know why this would happen?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Ok, so this has me stumped and annoyed. I added a new contact (twice mind you) and it's not showing up. His first name begins with an A, so he should be right there at the top of my contacts screen after I complete it, but he's not.

Anyone know why this would happen?

Well first off, where did you add the contact, on the phone, or on gmail?

I've had a few contact issues with the two not syncing occasionally, but if you're adding it right from the phone, the only thing I can think of is that you already have a contact in there with some part of the information that's the same?

RhalloTonny on
    !
    edited June 2010
    Here's what I do:

Contacts -> Menu -> New contact -> Enter in "Given name", "Family name", and phone number -> hit "done"

Then I check my contacts and he's not there. I've done it before and never had a problem, but no idea why this one guy won't show up.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Make sure you're filtering the contact list properly. One thing I really don't like about the contact list is that you can't select what group a contact is in but you can select what groups to specifically list. I think you need to list "Other" or "All Other Contacts"

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I enabled all possible groups and he still doesn't show up.

Ok, so I went ahead and made it so all Facebook contacts show up. Even those without phones and he isn't on the list still. And he gave me his number via Facebook.

This is annoying.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Fodder wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten a chance to play with the mytouch 3g slide? I was in the t-mobile store today to see whether they were selling nexus ones in store yet, and the guy was pushing it as a good alternative. It definitely didn't seem as good as the nexus one, but it would also be much, much cheaper, so I'd definitely be able to justify replacing it sooner rather than later. I'm still leaning towards the n1, but figured it'd be good to check to see if anyone had played with one yet.

What do you want to know about it? I've set a couple of them up (and own a Nexus myself, for comparison.)

On an overall level, I do ultimately prefer my Nexus, but I AM jealous of that keyboard.
    Just sort of general impressions, how snappy and all it is, how terrible that social networking stuff is, stuff like that.

I'm definitely concerned about the slower processor and a little bit about it not getting 2.2, though it looks like it's coming "soon" so thats probably alright. I've only really found one review of it, but it seems comprehensive so it's definitely getting more and more appealing.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, according to this you're at least going to get 2.2 (sometime)

http://www.tmonews.com/2010/06/mytouch3g-users-youre-wish-is-about-to-come-true/

Dehumanized on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Google SkyMap is hands down the coolest Android program I've found so far. This, this is what technology should be doing for us. This right here, this SkyMap stuff.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited June 2010
    Here's what I do:

Contacts -> Menu -> New contact -> Enter in "Given name", "Family name", and phone number -> hit "done"

Then I check my contacts and he's not there. I've done it before and never had a problem, but no idea why this one guy won't show up.
    Do you have another contact with a similar name? It may be trying to merge them. If you're doing it through the phone try inputting it on GMail and then requesting a sync from the phone.

JAEF on
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here's what I do:

Do you have another contact with a similar name? It may be trying to merge them. If you're doing it through the phone try inputting it on GMail and then requesting a sync from the phone.

There's also some nonsense about the "My Contacts" group in Gmail/Voice- I don't really see the point of having a My Contacts group that automatically forces contacts to be a part of every time a contact is modified.

There's a default option that's buried that hides other contact groups, make sure that it's pulling all contacts.

RhalloTonny on
    !
    edited June 2010
    Here's what I do:

You know, I don't know why I never thought of this, but it is exactly what it did. How do I separate them? One contact now has two phone numbers, two e-mail addresses, and two facebook profiles attached... UGH! I love my phone, but shit like this is annoying.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    open contact, click on [linked] top right corner. Unlink them

Alegis on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Google SkyMap is hands down the coolest Android program I've found so far. This, this is what technology should be doing for us. This right here, this SkyMap stuff.

Yeah, it is awesome. Totally awesome.

Having said that I live in central London so it's basically just for showing me what I could be seeing if it wasn't always overcast and if light pollution wasn't so awful.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited June 2010
    Yah, I live in Texas, so if I drive about 20 minutes west, I can be out in a cow pasture 15 miles from the worst light pollution and get a pretty good glimpse of the sky. Now that i have Google SkyMap, I really want to get a little telescope I can pack up and bring with me.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I got impatient for FroYo to make it into CyanogenMod and flashed my N1 with the rooted FroYo image here: http://android.modaco.com/content/google-nexus-one-nexusone-modaco-com/309286/24-may-frf50-froyo-pre-rooted-update-zip-no-radio-option-online-kitchen/

The weirdest fucking thing happened: the dialer app was missing. So was the contacts list app. Even the new shortcut at the bottom of the screen just gave me a "sorry, this app is not installed" message. Everything else worked fine.

Good thing I made a nandroid backup beforehand, I guess.

Daedalus on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So apparently the default IM app only does GTalk. Kind of lame coming from the Pre, where I had everything in one app. Anyone recommend a IM app, preferably one that logs conversations and doesn't require its own login?

Phoenix-D on
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I finally rooted and installed froyo, it's eleven kinds of awesome. Finally feels fast enough to compete with my old iphone.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there a good calendar app that supports landscape mode?

Critter on
  • Craptastic-JCraptastic-J Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone else have problems with their gmail account after setting it up through android? Through android it works fine, but when I try and access Gmail the old fashioned way through my PC now, it freezes up, I get database errors, can't check my inbox, etc. It started right after I set up the account through my Evo...

Craptastic-J on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fring is about the best you're going to do, I'm pretty sure, on the front of a multi-protocol IM app.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Meebo IM works fairly well for IM, but like most other network programs on android it chews through the battery (or did, last time I used it six months or so ago)

Fring probably eats through your batteries the same way, so don't let that sway you

It's deceptive, the app will have 1% "battery use", but that 1% consists of waking up the apps processor + network, doing something on it for 10 milliseconds, and putting it back to sleep every 5 minutes, which results in a lot of wasted power

Lilac Citizen on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I went and got the mytouch 3g slide. It's pretty excellent, but coming off a 3 year old blackberry it really ought to be. I'm beginning to get a handle on most of the features and apps, and I'm really digging swype which came on it by default. The hardware keyboard has really irritating labels, with the secondary keys as big as the primary ones, but it turns out a hardware keyboard is basically required for effective sshing with this app, so thats been a good thing to have.

I have a feeling this is a no, but is there any way to get handcent to send everything through google voice, or am I stuck with their rather underwhelming app?

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    open contact, click on [linked] top right corner. Unlink them

I'm on Motorola Droid and I don't see that as an option.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm I guess it's an HTC Sense thing.

Maybe try editing the contacts in gmail. In the 'extra' field HTC uses its tags to associate facebookIDs.

Alegis on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here's what I do:

I'm a big fan of Google Sync. I use it on my iPod Touch, which is now a wonderful texting device between Google Voice and Push email. Hopefully soon on my future iPhone too. One thing I learned really quick is the following.

http://www.google.com/contacts is your friend for getting contacts right. Google doesn't advertise that page enough.

enc0re on
    edited June 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Hmm I guess it's an HTC Sense thing.

Maybe try editing the contacts in gmail. In the 'extra' field HTC uses its tags to associate facebookIDs.

I figured it out. For those that have the same problem.

Contacts -> select contact -> Menu -> Edit contact -> Menu -> Seperate

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Um, Motorola's announcement of a 2ghz Android Phone by years end has me stupidly excited. I have had a lot of fun with the original Moto Droid. Then, I won an Incredible. And, since I'm an employee, I'll be eligible for upgrade to the new moto phone by year's end, assuming it is with VZW.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think I'd be more excited if they started talking about phones with twice the battery life instead of twice the clock speed. The 1ghz snapdragons already provide quite a lot of power, as-is.

Dehumanized on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    as unpleasant as it is watching technology pass me and my moto droid by so rapidly, it's very nice knowing that by the time i'm next eligible for an upgrade, front-facing cameras and 4g will probably be relatively commonplace on higher-end phones :>

Snork on
    edited June 2010
    I think I'd be more excited if they started talking about phones with twice the battery life instead of twice the clock speed. The 1ghz snapdragons already provide quite a lot of power, as-is.

This. As awesome as the Evo is, it has terrible, terrible battery life when the 4G radio is on, especially if the Snapdragon is humming. Something like six hours or less, blarg.

That's mostly okay, because I am usually near my car where I have a USB charger plug-in thing, or near my computer, where I charge my phone, but what if I'm not for a while? Yah, I can turn the 4G radio off (which is exactly what I would do), I'd just like to see them work on battery life. The phones are already pretty powerful.

A 2ghz ARM CPU is going to make your phone cook, almost literally. It's going to run really warm, and suck battery life down. If they do a 2ghz CPU, it will have to have something like Intel's SpeedStep to downclock itself (the Snapdragons may already do this, I'm not sure).

GnomeTank on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Snork wrote: »
    as unpleasant as it is watching technology pass me and my moto droid by so rapidly, it's very nice knowing that by the time i'm next eligible for an upgrade, front-facing cameras and 4g will probably be relatively commonplace on higher-end phones :>

By then the LTE network will be in full swing and you'll have to choose between the LTE iPhone on Verizon or the Droid Super Supreme Deluxe.

And yeah honestly, until they figure out how to put bigger (or better) batteries in these things, I don't WANT a phone faster than 1ghz. It's not like my Incredible ever really makes me wait for anything :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Motorola's plan is apparently to make a phone that can replace a laptop. I'm not sure how well that's going to go over; smartphones are useful, but I can't see myself doing large amounts of work on even the EVO's screen.

Phoenix-D on
This discussion has been closed.