As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Android Thread - Oh hey, Google is pretty cool.

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone had any experience with the Samsung Galaxy i5700?

A friend of mine is thinking of getting a cheaper android phone, and likes the look of it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If it's cheap yeah, it's better than the Magic which was one of HTC's flagship handsets, and I guess the best Android terminal after the G1.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Motorola's plan is apparently to make a phone that can replace a laptop. I'm not sure how well that's going to go over; smartphones are useful, but I can't see myself doing large amounts of work on even the EVO's screen.

Their plan also seems to be to keep going with Motoblur, so it's pretty clear they don't have many good ideas. :(

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Motorola's plan is apparently to make a phone that can replace a laptop. I'm not sure how well that's going to go over; smartphones are useful, but I can't see myself doing large amounts of work on even the EVO's screen.

Their plan also seems to be to keep going with Motoblur, so it's pretty clear they don't have many good ideas. :(
    They left Motoblur out of the Droid, which was brilliant. Unless that was Verizon stronghanding them.

JAEF on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I've been incredibly pleased with the spike in productivity that my droid has provided, but I can't see getting serious work done on a phone. A lot of the areas where I've seen an increase in productivity (reading pdfs, the quick view for documents, reading e-mail, etc) are all acts of consuming information. On the flip side, writing, calculating, or any kind of creative work is slow, and takes a huge penalty due to the lack of a traditional keyboard and mouse. Until that input bottleneck is removed, laptops > smartphones, at least when concerned with tools/ability to get work done.

Maybe I'm just completely out of touch, but when did the term "handset" enter the modern lexicon, fully replacing "phone" or "cell phone"? I mean, technically I guess it's correct, but it always carried an impression of something like a microphone/speaker deal, separate from the phone itself.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My Nexus One has replaced my netbook pretty much entirely, so they might be on to something.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »

They left Motoblur out of the Droid, which was brilliant. Unless that was Verizon stronghanding them.

But it seems to be on all the leaked Droid X/2 info so far, which is mind-numbingly stupid.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »

But it seems to be on all the leaked Droid X/2 info so far, which is mind-numbingly stupid.
    Yes but from reports it's a far less obtrusive Motoblur. From what it sounds like, similar to the way linking your facebook to your contacts is unobtrusive. Here's hoping.

JAEF on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe I'm just completely out of touch, but when did the term "handset" enter the modern lexicon, fully replacing "phone" or "cell phone"? I mean, technically I guess it's correct, but it always carried an impression of something like a microphone/speaker deal, separate from the phone itself.

It started to come in to play when the operating system and the phone itself were not a branded pair. The Droid is the handset, Android is the operating system. It's been around as an industry term for a while, but it's leaked in to popular speak because of the stark differentiation between software and hardware you're starting to see on phones (which is a very natural progression).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »
    My Nexus One has replaced my netbook pretty much entirely, so they might be on to something.

ditto for me and my eee 901. My Incredible can do everything it can do, and more, faster.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NNNOOOOOOOOOO the swype beta just expired on my phone

how the fuck am i supposed to go back to regular keyboard D:

Snork on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I never had a chance to get on the swype bandwagon, but ShapeWriter works decently on my Evo... maybe give that a shot?

I don't think I can go back to a regular keyboard either at this point, this is just so much faster.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Shapewriter is getting taken off the market on the 20th (why??), so get in on it now.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What do these programs do that is so much better than say, the HTC built in keyboard, which I get along fine with?

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, is there a reason why, over the course of a day, I keep losing free memory when I have Advanced Task Killer killing programs when my screen goes off? o_O

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Task killers kill processes. The OS is good enough at doing that itself, so when it sees a process get terminated, it starts it back up. This eats resources and battery. Task killers are bad. There's an article floating around here somewhere that describes it in much more depth.

petition to put this in big red bold letters in the OP of the new thread.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This doesn't seem like that article, but it's still pretty interesting: the internal task killer (and how to fiddle with it, if you really wanted to.).

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Task killers kill processes. The OS is good enough at doing that itself, so when it sees a process get terminated, it starts it back up. This eats resources and battery. Task killers are bad. There's an article floating around here somewhere that describes it in much more depth.

That's all well and good, except I use it to close programs that don't close. A running program is going to use more battery than a closed one, as well as resources.

And this also doesn't really answer my question about why my phone gets less and less free memory when I do nothing with the phone.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

That's all well and good, except I use it to close programs that don't close. A running program is going to use more battery than a closed one, as well as resources.

And this also doesn't really answer my question about why my phone gets less and less free memory when I do nothing with the phone.

yeah, task killers are only a bad thing when the apps you're running are smart about their memory usage and stuff
    android seems to like randomly starting a bunch of shit in the background when i haven't even used it in days though

Snork on
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

This is false from what I remember. When you exit an application it doesn't close, however it does get updated at all either. It stays in memory doing nothing at all. When the android system needs more memory it kills the application. What this means is that if you kill apps which are running in the background you don't really save any battery or processing power, it just means it takes more power/time to start the app back up again.

Of course, it's been a while since I read about how the android system handles things so I could be mistaken.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Scroffus wrote: »

This is false from what I remember. When you exit an application it doesn't close, however it does get updated at all either. It stays in memory doing nothing at all. When the android system needs more memory it kills the application. What this means is that if you kill apps which are running in the background you don't really save any battery or processing power, it just means it takes more power/time to start the app back up again.

Of course, it's been a while since I read about how the android system handles things so I could be mistaken.

If a program is really misbehaving (has a background service running that constantly eats battery, for instance) it can chew up the battery when you're not using it.

It's pretty easy to find out which program is doing this and just uninstall it, though; that'll help your battery more than replacing it with a different background service in the task killer.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The programs I kill are the default Mail and Message apps, which even though I disabled notifications, they still pop up occasionally, for example. No reason to have them running when I have K-9 and Handcent going.

So noone knows why my free memory just slowly fills up as time goes on?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Self aware handset which becomes slowly more and more intelligent only to blink away into the void when your phone switches off and be reborn anew when switched back on?

I have no real idea, if you are killing lots of apps and it stays the same then I'm not sure why.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Task managers are fine when used with responsibility, i.e. "Oh this program is running something in the background that is still streaming/downloading/accessing the GPS when I specifically don't want it to"

Also, if you're developing, task killers are great for killing your work-in-progress program when it decides to blast music at full volume without giving you any way to stop it.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yeah, just uninstall any crapware on the phone and don't flip out over the stuff that's still "on" in the background

all the programs from Google (and presumably from the OEM/MO, but maybe not) will do absolutely nothing on the CPU when they're not active and will cost you no battery power

having some crappy task killer wake up your phone every 5 minutes to look for tasks to kill is going to hurt your battery life a lot more than a bunch of paused background services

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I need some help:

My girlfriend just lost her Droid in a cab tonight. I texted it my phone number and said that if the phone if found, the person could call me and I'd give them a cash reward. She's worried that her gmail is automatically logged in on her phone, and that someone could get in her email and get some personal information. Is there any way to disconnect that from a computer? Also, what would be the best method to get the phone back?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    So I need some help:

My girlfriend just lost her Droid in a cab tonight. I texted it my phone number and said that if the phone if found, the person could call me and I'd give them a cash reward. She's worried that her gmail is automatically logged in on her phone, and that someone could get in her email and get some personal information. Is there any way to disconnect that from a computer? Also, what would be the best method to get the phone back?

Change your gmail password. The phone stores it and needs it to login, I am almost 100% sure. Other than that, I have no idea.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Got into Swype beta. This thing is friggen sweet.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swype is fantastic, and it came with my phone, so I don't ever have to worry about losing it. It took about 5 minutes to get used to, but it's absurdly intuitive now, and I don't think I could go back to a regular keyboard.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yayyy the swype beta reopened! now i am finally legit with this shit
    god i missed it so much

Snork on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I need some help:

Change your gmail password. The phone stores it and needs it to login, I am almost 100% sure. Other than that, I have no idea.

Yep. I changed my Gmail password recently, and the phone displayed a notification asking me to re-enter my details (think it was worded in a way which was more along the lines of "authentication failed"). As for contacts already on the phone, I don't think there's much you can do about that.

Wavesecure let's you do stuff like remote wipe, but it's only useful if installed before the fact.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »
    So I need some help:

Yep. I changed my Gmail password recently, and the phone displayed a notification asking me to re-enter my details (think it was worded in a way which was more along the lines of "authentication failed"). As for contacts already on the phone, I don't think there's much you can do about that.

Wavesecure let's you do stuff like remote wipe, but it's only useful if installed before the fact.

Also, the program Where's My Droid (free program) will activate its GPS and send the coords to you in a text message if you send it a special text.

Also useful, is that with a different text, it will turn on the ringer, crank up the volume, and keep it ringing until you find it.

Edit: Also useful before the fact.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    GlitchGlitch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swype beta installs but will not work on my Droid with Bugless Beast v1.1.
    I guess I will have to get by with HTC_IME for now.

Glitch on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    On a somewhat different note, has anyone else had run-ins with apps wanting more permissions than would seem necessary? The particular app that gave me pause was Caligo Chaser, an admittedly cool-looking hack and slash RPG. It's a port from a pretty major iPhone games company, which makes me a lot less suspicious about phishing and the like, but it still wants access to stuff like GPS location, network communication, phone identity, etc. That seems a bit much for an offline RPG, but I really don't have much of a reference point. Should I be concerned?
    I've seen it on occasion. Does the game have banner ads or anything? Some games only put them on game over screens, pause screens, etc. The banner ads will take advantage of gps position, etc.

There may be other statistics stuff... how many installs, how many active installs, where those are (good for targetting things like localisation priorities), etc. The developer console google provides doesn't provide nearly enough of that sort of info, so people may be using 3rd party libraries to gather that kind of data.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Quick question - since I checked back a few pages and didn't see anything in the OP. I just caved and updated to an Android phone. Couldn't quite swing the EVO so I did the HTC Hero. While it's shipping of course I'm doing what any dork would do and watching unboxing videos, reading reviews, etc. What I can't find are quite as many good sites for reviews/news as I have for my Blackberry. Can anyone recommend some?

Really excited to see the webbrowser compared to what I've been living with on my Blackberry.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why is there no Android based version of the iPod Touch?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

Creative Zii (or Zii EGG for the OEM version). Not out yet, though.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I need some help:

Yeah, I've definitely been afraid of what will happen if I lose my phone. I have used it to pay bills and such, so I'm sure in the hands of the right/wrong person they could get my information. I have an app called AppLock on it that will require a 4 digit PIN to be entered when particular apps are launched.

It's also to prevent my friends from sending prank text messages, cause that shit happens quite a bit when we drink. I do it myself.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

Creative Zii (or Zii EGG for the OEM version). Not out yet, though.

Also, I believe the Dell Streak will have a non-phone version available.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I also got into the new swype beta, but for some reason it just will not work on my stock 2.1 Droid. Is the Droid not supported? I didn't see anything on the website. Like the keyboard shows up and the paths, but nothing I swype will show up in the actual text field.

edit: I just remembered after installation it tried to register but said that registration failed. I uninstalled and reinstalled, same thing happened.

Simpsonia on
This discussion has been closed.