As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Android Thread - Oh hey, Google is pretty cool.

• TheRussianFunkTheRussianFunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    So I also got into the new swype beta, but for some reason it just will not work on my stock 2.1 Droid. Is the Droid not supported? I didn't see anything on the website. Like the keyboard shows up and the paths, but nothing I swype will show up in the actual text field.

edit: I just remembered after installation it tried to register but said that registration failed. I uninstalled and reinstalled, same thing happened.

Exact same problem here. And constantly uninstalling both the application itself and the installer then rebooting the phone to try again is getting a bit old, especially when any sort of data interruption FUBARS your 4MB download.

TheRussianFunk on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only thing I can think of is that the massive influx of beta testers trying to download and register is fucking with their registration server somehow.

Simpsonia on
  • GlitchGlitch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    +1 for Swype on Droid being non-functional dogshit. What a cocktease.
    I installed it yesterday but it seems that they just swung the doors open today.

Glitch on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I tend to blame swype's suckyness on the Droid on the Droids less than stellar touch screen.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Their site and services are crawling. I found out about the new beta from Lifehacker, and I'm sure it's on every Android blog and forum, so they're probably getting hammered. I got in with some patience, and it works great on my Droid running CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2.

My only gripe about it before was its seeming lack of support for complex punctuation and even common smilies, like :), ;P, etc. Now, it explicitly supports adding punctuation-only words to the dictionary. Before, you could add real words, but not words consisting only of punctuation. So, I added my smily lexicon and now it's pretty much perfect. Viva la Swype!

gilrain on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I tend to blame swype's suckyness on the Droid on the Droids less than stellar touch screen.
    It works great on my Droid, and I have big fingers... just as another data point. The line follows my finger accurately, and the words are 99.9% correctly transcribed, so.

gilrain on
    edited June 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    It works great on my Droid, and I have big fingers... just as another data point. The line follows my finger accurately, and the words are 99.9% correctly transcribed, so.

Maybe it's better with the latest build, but when I last used it (couple months ago now) it was such a mess that when I switched roms I didn't bother re-installing swype. I liked it at first but it slowly got more frustrating, terribly inaccurate.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    Their site and services are crawling. I found out about the new beta from Lifehacker, and I'm sure it's on every Android blog and forum, so they're probably getting hammered. I got in with some patience, and it works great on my Droid running CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2.

My only gripe about it before was its seeming lack of support for complex punctuation and even common smilies, like :), ;P, etc. Now, it explicitly supports adding punctuation-only words to the dictionary. Before, you could add real words, but not words consisting only of punctuation. So, I added my smily lexicon and now it's pretty much perfect. Viva la Swype!

I recently found out that if you hold the :-) button it'll pop up with the usual's though they all have 'noses' if that's not your thing you'd still be out of luck.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hate smileys with noses. They make me :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To anybody else that was getting the registration failed, I just reinstalled both installer and app and it registered and is working just fine now.

Simpsonia on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I signed up for the beta and got in last night for Swype, no problems so far and it's really nifty!

They need to open up other languages, so I can play with the Japanese input for it :(

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, I'm looking for a good note-taking/text-editing app. My requirements:

-Can save to a .txt or .RTF or something. Whatever. Formatting preferred, but I'll take what I can get.

-Free or cheap.

Extremely useful bonuses:

-Some kind of character and word counter, whether overall or selection or what. Ideally able to have up all the time, and updating in time with my typing.

-Can open and save more formats.

-Ability to share selection through my various sharing-capable apps, like Handcent or Twidroid or somesuch.

Any ideas?

yalborap on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm partial to 3Banana myself; give that a shot.

Daedalus on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone have an app that'll let me listen to world cup games? Online radio maybe? I really want to listen to the Mexico-France game.

Kyougu on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Anyone have an app that'll let me listen to world cup games? Online radio maybe? I really want to listen to the Mexico-France game.
    probably can just go through espn.com

and stream it or something

or maybe BBC radio

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

I know that WorldCupDroid has a Real Time feed for games, but you can't listen to it, just read as it updates.

Otherwise, it's also a great World Cup app :)

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skyfire browser lets me stream the video from Univision.com (and other sites). The video's grainy when the cameras are pulled back to show the width of the field, but it hardly ever stutters or buffers.

Bhow on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bhow wrote: »
    Skyfire browser lets me stream the video from Univision.com (and other sites). The video's grainy when the cameras are pulled back to show the width of the field, but it hardly ever stutters or buffers.

Huh, I download it, and when I try to stream it tells me that the video is not available to my area. o_O

EDIT: NVM, it works. Fantastic. Thanks a lot!

Kyougu on
    edited June 2010
    has anyone been coming across "video not available for mobile" errors on youtube lately?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    has anyone been coming across "video not available for mobile" errors on youtube lately?

It should only happen with recent videos, right?

Impersonator on
    edited June 2010
    I got it on some music videos and on a clip from letterman. Never had it happen before this past week.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Usually that happens with more recent videos, because Youtube is still in the process of converting the videos for mobile viewing. No idea why that should happen with older ones, though. Have you tried googling it?

Impersonator on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I got the swype beta installed nicely, only problem is that the dictionary is US English and not UK English, so it keeps trying to make me spell things wrong. There's no option for UK English in the language setting either.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited June 2010
    hmm, seems like it's been around in Youtube for while. I guess I just never ran into it before.:?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, should I pull the trigger on an Incredible now or is there something awesome that's coming out in the next few months, hopefully before winter?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited June 2010
    the Droid X and Droid 2 are in the pipe.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish they'd make a new Droid with a keyboard, I'm not a big fan of pure touchscreens. However, the Droid X does look really nice.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Man. Droid X, you're so beautiful. If I weren't at work I'd have my dick out rubbing it on the screen.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    believe one of the new droids has a phsyical keyboards if its is not the x than the 2 does

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

What's the difference between them and when are they cominggggg?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the two has the physical keyboard, if i'm not mistaken, and will be officially announced on June 23rd

Evander on
    edited June 2010
    I've heard the X drops this weekend

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I used to be jealous of the Droid's slide out keyboard (was using a Hero at the time), then I found Swype. Now, I see physical keyboards as clunky and slow.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I'm partial to 3Banana myself; give that a shot.

Hmm, definitely a nice app...Any way to get a character count going on it? Would be useful for stashing tweets or texts I wanted to send later, for instance, but for that I'd need to know just how many characters were in the note.

yalborap on
    edited June 2010
    What is swype?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    What is swype?
    you can't be told what Swype is. You have to see it for yourself.

edit: too slow

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is my Nexus One:

android-gray.png

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited June 2010
    Oh, that thing. Just say the thing from the commercial of the "worlds fastest texter".

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zetx wrote: »
    This is my Nexus One:

android-gray.png

what is that wallpaper?

Evander on
This discussion has been closed.