Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Charcuterie 101 - The Silence you hear is the meat deliciousifying...

18910111214»

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    So when it says in the jerky section that Pink Salt was used, which one was used? Cure #1 or #2? Also, is there a way to make it long term shelf stable? I mean that as in no freezing/refrigeration needed, and have jerky last long term? I want to make it long term because I get game meat as well as buy in bulk when on sale and storing that much in the frig/freezer would take tons of space.
    Would using the cure and simply really really drying it out work to make it last a long time out of refrigeration? Thanks for the help.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Once it's done, you should be able to vacuum seal it for years in theory

just make sure it's good and dry and it was an extremely lean cut of meat

Vacuum seal. Now would bagging it and putting oxygen absorbers work the same to get rid of the air left in the bag(s)? Also, again what type is the pink salt that he said he used? I can get either if therm off of Amazon, I'm just wondering which one Pink Curing Salt #1 or #2.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    if I remember correctly cure 1 is typically used for "quick" curing things, and #2 is used for country hams/prosciutto/long term curing things

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    3ds 2853-1334-6215
    edited January 2018
    I checked that, and it seems that that is the case. So would heat sealing with oxygen absorbers closely replicate vacuum sealing?

Edit: thanks the advice and tips so far guys.

RightfulSin on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I checked that, and it seems that that is the case. So would heat sealing with oxygen absorbers closely replicate vacuum sealing?

Edit: thanks the advice and tips so far guys.

probably not but I haven't ever tried, if all the oxygen is gone then maybe? if you are doing large quantity of meats owning a vac sealer is a great investment.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There are anaerobic bacteria that don't need oxygen to make your food inedible and toxic. Botulism is caused by one of those bacteria.

Don't rely on vacuum sealing and oxygen absorbers as your only food safety mechanism. The point of vacuum sealing before freezing is to remove surface area for freezer burn and ice damage to appear and prevent the ability for air to enter the bag and decrease the quality of the food. Freezing itself pretty much stops all bacteria activity, and, theoretically, vacuum sealed food that's frozen will be safe to eat almost indefinitely. Though, there will be a slight texture and possibly taste changes over time (quality decrease as mentioned by the FDA).

Ladies.
    dumb question

can you corn any cut of beef? I really enjoy brisket and everything, but by the time you remove a bunch of fat, you end up losing 2/5 of the cut. I don't want a big old plate of corned fat hash, and I'd rather not pay for it either.

yes

Ladies.
    Xaquin
    hallelujah!

No reason you couldn't do it with pork or chicken too, it's essentially a brine with some other stuff tossed in.

Ladies.
    Xaquin
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    My mother-in-law and I were talking about this the other day and apparently bottom round and eye round are commonly corned along with the usual brisket.

ceresXaquinBlackDragon480
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Rightful if you're looking for a good way to do long term meats that don't need any special refrigeration look into pemmican

pemmican + hard tack + some kind of liquid = food for 20 years

Arch wrote: »

I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
    oh I'm glad someone mentioned pemmican because I don't understand it at all.

every recipe for any applicable meat will lead with the fact that fat goes rancid seemingly over night .... so how come mixing it with dried meat and dried fruit somehow makes it not go rancid for 10 years (slight exaggeration)?

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    oh I'm glad someone mentioned pemmican because I don't understand it at all.

every recipe for any applicable meat will lead with the fact that fat goes rancid seemingly over night .... so how come mixing it with dried meat and dried fruit somehow makes it not go rancid for 10 years (slight exaggeration)?

I honestly don't know. It has three ingredients: rendered beef tallow, meat, and blueberries, and that shit stays good for years.

No clue.

Arch wrote: »

I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
    Xaquin
    edited March 2018
    It's essentially a type of rendered jerky. E: When you remove the water via rendering from the fat you're removing two of the spoiling methods (water spoiling/oxidation), and storing it in the airtight containers in a cool/dry/dark place keeps the bacteria away too.

bowen on
    Ladies.
    Xaquinceres
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    Made a small pastrami (maybe 2 lb?) today, thanks to the awesome instructions provided by Thegreatcow. It sat in the cure for about a week though because I was super busy at work and couldn't pull out the smoker until this morning.

5s0sjmY.jpg

CauldchromdombowenceresTNTrooperdarkmayofirewaterwordVishNubCarpyV1mThawmusApogee
    Niiiiiiice

I ordered another meat grinder (hopefully this one doesn't break the second time I use it) and am saving up for a LEM sausage stuffer

making your own sausage is really really good

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    What kind of casing are you planning to use?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    natural hog middles

they're cheaper and recommended

Hey, so I read somewhere about possibly using a mixed water and potassium sorbate solution applied to jerky bwfore drying to greatly extend the nonrefrigerated shelf life of jerky. Can anybody confirm? I am looking to use my dehydrator and to make jerky that can last a whilw qithout need of refrigeration or freezing. How would sodium nitrite and potassium sorbate qork at achieving this? I have access to larger game and I would like ro make large batches of jerky, but I tend to be the only main one that eats it, so I don't fo through it super fast. Thank you for the help.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I would like to make duck prosciutto in my refrigerator.

Does anyone have a good recipe?

I have never cured any meats, but it looks fairly simple and fun

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
    if you do it take lots of pictures because I am interested

Ladies.
    XaquinceresV1mCauld
    edited September 2018
    I would like to make duck prosciutto in my refrigerator.

Does anyone have a good recipe?

I have never cured any meats, but it looks fairly simple and fun

My brother did duck prosciutto a year ago. First attempt at doing anything like it and it and it turned out great (sadly I dont know the recipe) he ended up curing a bunch of other stuff. Now he is really into beer making, ill have to ask he if he still doing the meats.

this was the duck
    haybr6ugrsg9.jpg

darkmayo on
    chromdomDouglasDangerbowenXaquinDarkPrimus
    edited September 2018
    Cider Updates

Since the posts last summer, I had done several batches of ciders and kits.

The mixed fruit batches were alright, Cherry and Cran where pretty good, the POM one was a little too subtle to make it worth buying that expensive juice.

Did a few more kits over the winter/spring. Those all turned out great.

Ended up getting a press for Christmas, and used that to press a gallon worth of juice before I stopped pressing and ordered a bigger one online. I had 300lbs of apples that we picked from the in laws acreage and the little press I had wasn't going to cut it.

The first gallon I pressed finished about 2 weeks ago, and its pretty good, still a little too dry, that was just made up of one type of apples from the tree.

Sadly while waiting for the press to show up the rest of the apples rotted away except for the red apples.

It was tragic.. but it did save me from figuring out what I was going to store 14 gallons of cider in. (I was looking at kegs, and back carbonating it with CO2 instead of bottle carbonating, as I didn't feel like buying, cleaning and filling a hundred or so bottles)

The wife ended up picking a bunch of the plums that were ripening a few weeks after we picked the apples. Ended up taking a crack at making Plum Wine and I have a gallon of Plum mystery booze that went through the same process as I do with apples... we will see how that turns out.

Picking Apples
    442gfedq3jtq.jpg

Sexy Apple in the Rain
    vo8f34p2w6nx.jpg

The Haul
    he5dhnkmudyz.jpg

Plum Wine (technically it will be plum infused vodka, as I cant get Ume Plums here nor can I get cheap Shochu.. but I think it will work out nicely regardless)
    t5ldeqkgobfo.jpg

Plum.... something
    ae7z9p202dkv.jpg

hasnt been much meat smoking this summer, did some ribs here, a batch of jerky there... we ended up getting nailed with the smoke from the BC fires so I wasnt really in the mood to add more to it.

darkmayo on
    bowenCauldXaquinDarkPrimus
18910111214»