As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] On-Topic Fortress 2 - Absolutely No Freewheelin'

ZekZek Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
bullet.jpg

Links
bbb1.png
bbb2.png
bbb3.png
bbb4.png
bbb5.png
bbb6.png
bbb7.png

Servers
How to add a server:
Before you start TF2, right click Steam in your toolbar and click on Servers. Go to the Favorites tab, click Add a Server, and type in the IP. Next time you launch TF2, go to the Favorites tab and select one of the servers that has people in it, type in the password (wang), and you should be good to go. Also make sure "Show map list" is unchecked in the bottom left. It makes finding servers stupid as hell.

ZeekNyne's (War Never Changes)
Penny Arcade Arena Donate!
New server! 12-a-side all-arena public server with PA adminship. HLstatsX enabled.
Server IP: 8.6.75.22:27015

Hey You's
TF2PRO.COM
New server! Mixed map rotation.
Server IP: 208.167.246.12:27015

Job's
Hyperbolic Drama Chamber Donate!
Normal server with SourceMod.
Server IP: 216.155.146.69:27015

JonXP's
JonXP's server Donate!
Regular vanilla server. No plugins whatsoever.
Server IP: tf2.finalmeasure.com

PMAvers's
House of Non-Conformity Donate!
Custom map server.
Server IP: 208.167.243.68:27015
Download the Map Pack.
Extract to: Steam\steamapps\<your account>\team fortress 2\tf\maps

b_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.png

IMPORTANT NOTE: There is no real PA TF2 Steam Group. The HoNC has a Honc Night group that occasionally announces a custom map night, but that's about it. To get involved and meet people post here and add the servers to your favorites and hop on.

Zek on

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm so glad my video card died so I can only use my laptop which can't run TF2

Everyone should pitch in and buy me a new video card

Lemming on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any news on when they're gonna implement trading so I can trade my dozen huntsmen for a dozen sandviches?

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Any news on when they're gonna implement trading so I can trade my dozen huntsmen for a dozen sandviches?

Last I heard was when they confirmed it was coming. No word on when at all.

Peewi on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Trading System is coming a few months after HL3 is released.

My game overheats my computer now, and with a dead fan it results in computer shutdown.

/tear

McAllen on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    McAllen wrote: »

My game overheats my computer now, and with a dead fan it results in computer shutdown.

/tear

That's what's been happening to me! Except now my video card is completely broken. hi5

Lemming on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I'm going to concentrate exclusively on playing Medic for the foreseeable future. Trying to get good at playing Spy is just not worth the grief.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PS, I got next thread.

ON TOPIC MAN: I have a ton of screens, expect dump soon.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lemming wrote: »

/tear

That's what's been happening to me! Except now my video card is completely broken. hi5

Oh, god. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Losing a PC to gamez almost seems ironic.

Engineer's new melee weapon should be a hammer, that does something useful that the wrench didn't. Maybe a faster attack speed that compensates a small reduction in damage to repair/build things quicker.
    Kupi wrote: »
    I think I'm going to concentrate exclusively on playing Medic for the foreseeable future. Trying to get good at playing Spy is just not worth the grief.

Grief as in "HAHA I GOT YOU FAGGOT SPY!!" and all the shit that goes with it? It's the only class where I get the most insults. It totally boners the player who kills you I guess.

McAllen on
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lemming wrote: »
    I'm so glad my video card died so I can only use my laptop which can't run TF2

Everyone should pitch in and buy me a new video card

You can get a video card that runs TF2 for less than 100 bucks. If you can't scrounge up that kinda dough you need to get a job. Or stop wasting your money on drugs and hookers.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Grief as in "HAHA I GOT YOU FAGGOT SPY!!" and all the shit that goes with it? It's the only class where I get the most insults. It totally boners the player who kills you I guess.

Grief as in routinely going 1:5 K: D and beating myself up about it because I can usually go 2:1 with any other class. My stabs go wide, enemies dance through my revolver bullets, people somehow chase me cloaked for several seconds at a time... and every single time it's glaringly obvious that the problem is on my side. I'm not built to play Spy, and trying to just hurts. So, Medic it is.

Kupi on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The only thing on topic is bullets

and crit rockets

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Grief as in routinely going 1:5 K: D and beating myself up about it because I can usually go 2:1 with any other class. My stabs go wide, enemies dance through my revolver bullets, people somehow chase me cloaked for several seconds at a time... and every single time it's glaringly obvious that the problem is on my side. I'm not built to play Spy, and trying to just hurts. So, Medic it is.

No idea how you really play yaddayaddaetcetc, but it's okay to wait for your enemies as a spy. You don't have to be moving 24/7, as it usually increases your chance for gibbage. This is when I mostly die, but if you really need to get from A to B, are you using Dead Ringer often?

Cause, you know. It's the best item in the game.

McAllen on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Playing a spy is getting so much harder now that players listen for the fucking Dead Ringer. Bring back 2 weeks ago when I would be #1 on any scoreboard simply because no one was looking for me and no one played pyro. :(

I want to get really really good with a class but I can't decide which.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's a reason spies get 2 points per stab. You might not get as many kills, but your kills will be more valuable(in other words, medics)

Although it annoys me that you're upset at giving better than average performance because you're just not better enough.

Mars on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If it looks like people are expecting you to show up when youre playing spy then go find other people to stab. If you just had a failed attempt or someone saw you just go find somewhere else to work if it looks too dicey. There's generally 3 places you can mess about in. The front lines where theyre pushing (my favorite and the most effective), the forward defense high traffic areas where engineers usually set up (most dangerous if you ask me) and the enemy spawn. once you hit in one place move somewhere else.

I wouldn't recommend new spies to use the dead ringer until they can figure out how its useful without being told.

iowa on
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I released pl_dbheights_b4 and its currently running on my server for the rest of the day. It has a few kinks in it but its good for testing.

Known "major" kinks:
    -Hole in stage 3-2
    -invisible wall on 3-3

Please if you find any more kinks in the map please PM me or post the issue. As always pictures help the most :). Thanks!

Hey You on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does anyone know why now my found items have (seemingly) arbitrary levels to them? I know in the past the levels were there but since Valve mentioned having different stat levels in the future would it be a bad idea to delete my Level 65 DR duplicate as opposed to my standard DR duplicate(s)?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    ToastmoldToastmold Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The new engineer melee should be the extension cord on his belt, used like a whip.

Toastmold on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Toastmold wrote: »
    The new engineer melee should be the extension cord on his belt, used like a whip.

Why bother? His wrench already has a 15 foot range.

Ohhhhhh snap.

God I'm a bitter spy.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Does anyone know why now my found items have (seemingly) arbitrary levels to them? I know in the past the levels were there but since Valve mentioned having different stat levels in the future would it be a bad idea to delete my Level 65 DR duplicate as opposed to my standard DR duplicate(s)?

As far as I know, they are indeed arbitrary. On that note, and maybe this is a stupid question, but how the hell do you delete duplicate items? I don't see that option anywhere in the character setup.

Adus on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Adus wrote: »

As far as I know, they are indeed arbitrary. On that note, and maybe this is a stupid question, but how the hell do you delete duplicate items? I don't see that option anywhere in the character setup.

There is a delete button in the bottom left of the item loadout screen. Click on the item you want to delete, click on the delete button, presto.

You discard some gun manufacturer's hard work.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    Playing a spy is getting so much harder now that players listen for the fucking Dead Ringer. Bring back 2 weeks ago when I would be #1 on any scoreboard simply because no one was looking for me and no one played pyro. :(

Quit uncloaking behind people. The DR is for escaping. I like to make sure I decloak where they can hear it just so the dick that shot me knows it didn't take.

Zek on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Adus wrote: »

There is a delete button in the bottom left of the item loadout screen. Click on the item you want to delete, click on the delete button, presto.

You discard some gun manufacturer's hard work.

Ah it was in the backpack. I kept looking at the specific characters. It was full of like 12 KGB. No wonder all the items I got recently weren't showing up.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    Cognisseur wrote: »

Quit uncloaking behind people. The DR is for escaping. I like to make sure I decloak where they can hear it just so the dick that shot me knows it didn't take.

I do the same thing, hahaha.

Here's another tip for DR: Sometimes you have to run around with DR active if you're worried about sniper headshots, but: If you know you're about to run into an engy or something like that-- don't have DR active. In fact, fire a few pistol shots and take a bit of damage. Then activate DR so that when you get hit it looks more legitimate -- you took a bunch of damage, then died. That's a lot less suspicious than the spy who doesn't make any attempt to fight and dies on the first touch.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Image Dump.
    cpdustbowl0005.jpg

plrpipeline0004m.jpg

cpdustbowl0003l.jpg

plgoldrush0001kxq.jpg

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    Eff-ehEff-eh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Every second you spend not instagibbing me with the FAN as a medic or blowing me all over the battlefield with it when I'm a heavy is a blessing.

Eff-eh on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Eff-eh wrote: »

Every second you spend not instagibbing me with the FAN as a medic or blowing me all over the battlefield with it when I'm a heavy is a blessing.

yeah its nice when people take breaks from their normal classes and you dont have to shit yourself when you see them coming. like when tyrannus plays medic its quite delightful.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know why I keep trying to get better with the Soldier, I suck at it. Yet I am determined to not suck at it for some unfathomable reason. I think I just like crit rockets.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've been so 50/50 lately. I'm either sucking ass, 1:3 k/d ratio, or flipped of that, rocking faces.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Italax wrote: »
    I don't know why I keep trying to get better with the Soldier, I suck at it. Yet I am determined to not suck at it for some unfathomable reason. I think I just like crit rockets.

You need to bribe a kritz medic. You'll have all the crockets you ever wanted.

Yes. I'm taking offers.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you want to decloak in combat with the dead ringer, then you want to be in a position no one expects

Like falling through the air

Towards one of their heavies

Gumpy on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the DR is my preferred watch by far. Disguising as your own team and taking a couple hits before turning it on does wonders for convincing people you're dead. The only problem is that I'm absolutely terrible at anything other than just getting behind people. The DR sound makes people look out a little more, but people rarely go looking for the spy. The problem is that 90% of the time I get killed before doing anything because PA players tend to be far more paranoid than normal players. 9% of the time, I get to the target, the stab lands... and nothing happens. I don't even hurt the guy, but I go through the animation and get a stab sound and everything. 1% of the time, I kill something.

Of course, 100% of the time as Spy, I get fed up with totally random deaths because of things happening around me and and not actually to me. I really shouldn't even play Spy on PA servers at all; it relies far too much on the other team having bad pyros and that doesn't happen very often.

Oh, and you know what you call two people playing engies on Dustbowl defense when the other team has five players? That's right: assholes. Played against people like this the other night and I've never wanted admin powers so much in my life. I would've kicked them off the server so hard they would've landed in WoW.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I got the sandvich...how do I use it?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Equip sandvich on the character loadout, press sandvich button?

YggiDee on
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Taunt button.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Taunt button.

or attack button

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Go to loadout menu. Select shotgun. Call for medic.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

kupi can feel my pain

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Has anyone tested the interaction between the Dead Ringer and suicide commands?

Kupi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think the DR is my preferred watch by far. Disguising as your own team and taking a couple hits before turning it on does wonders for convincing people you're dead. The only problem is that I'm absolutely terrible at anything other than just getting behind people. The DR sound makes people look out a little more, but people rarely go looking for the spy. The problem is that 90% of the time I get killed before doing anything because PA players tend to be far more paranoid than normal players. 9% of the time, I get to the target, the stab lands... and nothing happens. I don't even hurt the guy, but I go through the animation and get a stab sound and everything. 1% of the time, I kill something.

Of course, 100% of the time as Spy, I get fed up with totally random deaths because of things happening around me and and not actually to me. I really shouldn't even play Spy on PA servers at all; it relies far too much on the other team having bad pyros and that doesn't happen very often.

Oh, and you know what you call two people playing engies on Dustbowl defense when the other team has five players? That's right: assholes. Played against people like this the other night and I've never wanted admin powers so much in my life. I would've kicked them off the server so hard they would've landed in WoW.

Don't use the DR to get behind people. That shit is useless. Just play as if you were a Spy with no cloak, and throw up the DR to save yourself from dying. Then try to decloak next to ammo so you can get it back instantly.

Zek on