As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things to get with my HDTV

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So we are getting a Samsung DLP, 1080p, TV because ... why the hell not?
(56" TV)
So we need to get stuff to go with the TV.
A stand, for example, is one of those things. What kind, where are they cheap, etc...

Perhaps a new receiver? See, we've had surround sound for a while but the receiver is rather old, I mean, it doesn't have component or HDMI or anything fun like that. So perhaps a new one? That JVC one looks kind of snazzy...

My old speakers and subwoofer probably are still fine though. Probably.

Maybe a new upconverting DVD player? Saw some nice ones for like 80 bucks... suggestions welcome.

But, here is a question: Do some receivers upconvert signal, and if so do you get a not upconverting DVD player?

Also, for note: I have a Wii and an Xbox (not 360) and intend to get a 360 eventually down the line...

Mmkay.

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    360 and GoW. That is all you need.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Your tv might already upconvert DVDs (and TV) for you. If this is true, buying an upconverting dvd player is basically hoping that the dvd player does it better than your tv.

So before you buy an upconverting dvd player, make sure you can return it.

I picked up an upconverting dvd player, had two copies of a bunch of movies, and would compare the movies at the same time (switching inputs), and there was no improvement on my aquos. i returned that sucker.

Serpent on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    an audio reciever with optical inputs for true surround sound goodness

nexuscrawler on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yes, well, my audio receiever does have optical inputs at least, but just 1, and no HDMI or component inputs/outputs so maybe I should upgrade?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Your video source should also be HD... otherwise you're just watching regular TV on a really fancy screen.

MagicToaster on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Your video source should also be HD... otherwise you're just watching regular TV on a really fancy screen.

Yeah I'd look into what your TV service is offering in the way of HD stations. You may have to up your package to get all the HD channels you want.

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I know.
    At least for now I'll get a nice antenna so I can watch over the air HD, which has me covered for Lost/24/Heroes/etc I guess... this TV is mostly for movies and videogames anyway, so yeah.. but yeah, good input.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yes, well, my audio receiever does have optical inputs at least, but just 1, and no HDMI or component inputs/outputs so maybe I should upgrade?
    How many of each type of input do you have on your TV? How many of each type of output do you have across all your devices, including the ones you're likely to add (e.g. Xbox 360, HDTV cable/satellite/whatever)? Depending on the outputs and inputs you have, you might need a new receiver, or a HD-compatible switchbox, or maybe just some converters. Receivers or switchers that can get pretty expensive though, particularily if they include the capability to go from component to HDMI in full HD.
    At least for now I'll get a nice antenna so I can watch over the air HD
    Does your TV have an HD tuner? If the TV says "HD Ready" on it, then it is capable of displaying an HD signal but doesn't include an HD tuner. If that's the case, you'll need to get an HDTV tuner for OTA (over-the-air) HDTV.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
    edited December 2006
    Have not bought the TV, but the TV we're probably gonna get is this.

Or the equivalent model except with 720P, but they're the same other than that AFAIK.

So then: Connections: 3 composite A/V (1 front), 2 S-Video (1 front), 2 component (Y/Pb/Pr), 2 HDMI, 1 RF, 1 USB

And built in tuner.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've never quite understood the point of running video through an (audio) receiver. Is it just so one device can be used to select the inputs for everything? The receiver certainly isn't processing the television signal, it's just switching it, right? Neither component or HDMI are sending audio signals anyway, right? Those are presumably going from the various audio sources (DVD, Wii, Xbox, and so on) to the receiver via either RCA cables, optical, or digital coax, right?

DrFrylock on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ...I'll get a nice antenna so I can watch over the air HD...

I don't get this, someone explain to me how this works. HD is a digital signal... an air antena works on analog signals. Isn't there information lost during that conversion?

MagicToaster on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    DrFrylock wrote:
    I've never quite understood the point of running video through an (audio) receiver. Is it just so one device can be used to select the inputs for everything? The receiver certainly isn't processing the television signal, it's just switching it, right? Neither component or HDMI are sending audio signals anyway, right? Those are presumably going from the various audio sources (DVD, Wii, Xbox, and so on) to the receiver via either RCA cables, optical, or digital coax, right?

Yes this is true. And that's why I was confused as to why the OP feels he needs a new receiver. If he's buying simply for the video switch features he'd be better off buying a true HD video switcher because it would a) have a lot more inputs and b) be a hell of a lot cheaper.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ...I'll get a nice antenna so I can watch over the air HD...

I don't get this, someone explain to me how this works. HD is a digital signal... an air antena works on analog signals. Isn't there information lost during that conversion?
    Any antenna can pick up digital signals. No information is lost if your reception is above the threshold needed - you image is perfect. It's actually much easier to pick up digital signals with an antenna than analog signals, and OTA HD actually has better image quality than HD satellite or cable feeds.

Zoolander on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So then: Connections: 3 composite A/V (1 front), 2 S-Video (1 front), 2 component (Y/Pb/Pr), 2 HDMI, 1 RF, 1 USB

And built in tuner.
    Hmm, I'd say you're pretty good for receiver or switcher then, or a tuner for that matter. I don't think you'll run out of ports too soon, and if you do find yourself short down the road, you can always get a switcher then.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
    edited December 2006
    Well don't be confused by me, I have no idea what I'm talking about which is why I was asking you all.

Silly me.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    did you win the lottery or something?

when you run out of HD inputs you should just buy an HD switching box. I have no idea which one you should buy.

if your speakers sound fine, do not replace them. if you are not sure if they sound fine, do not replace them. sound is a tricky thing and much of the audio industry is actually powered by voodoo (marketing) and has very little to do with science.

seriously, if you don't know how you feel about your speakers, then just feel good about them. if you don't like them, and you hate money, replace them.

I get asked this question a lot: "are my speakers any good? I'm thinking about replacing them.", to which I reply "you're speakers are great, why would you replace them?" this is independent of whether I've heard the speakers, seen the speakers, or even know what speakers we're talking about. why is that? because they go home, listen to their speakers, say to themselves 'you know, he was right!' and they feel great (and save money). this trick works on me too, actually, when people whose opinions about sound I trust or respect tell me things about speakers, or how a particular kick drum sounds, or anything audio related. it's a neat trick, and falling for it doesn't mean you're not intelligent (me not being the benchmark for intelligence).

if you really want to spend a lot of money, feel free to donate money to me and my roomates. I will buy drugs and food with it. I will even take pictures of the drugs and the food (and the stupid shit I do while consuming them) and send them to you!

kingmetal on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You have a 1080p HDTV?

Don't throw money away on a DVD player. Either get an HD-DVD player (refurbs can be had for 300ish, probably less - we got ours for 300), or get your Xbox 360 now and get the HD-DVD add-on for 200 bones more.

I love it with my 1080i RP-CRT. With your 1080p DLP, you'll have eyegasms, trust me. It's a noticable step up from standard DVD even for us and I think you'll find it even more prominent with a 1080p DLP TV.

I highly, highly recommend you get an HD-DVD player.

Also, I believe all HD-DVD players do automatic upconversion for standard DVDs. Our 300-dollar refurb does.

The only complaint I have with ours is that it takes a long time to initially load up the system because it's more like a computer than a DVD player. It takes 3-5 minutes to initialize. Once it does, you're good, and we usually keep it on so we don't have to turn it on and off, but you may want to read up before you just buy one willy-nilly.

Personally, I'd just buy an Xbox 360 + the HD-DVD add-on which will run you either 500 or 600 total depending on whether or not you get the core or premium system. With that 600 dollar package, you'll have a lot of high-definition widescreen interactive and non-interactive goodness.

Of course, you could just buy a PS3 which has a Blu-Ray player and 1080p games.

But the PS3 sucks. So get an Xbox 360 + HD-DVD. Thank me later.

EDIT: Just in case you aren't aware, all HD-DVDs support 1080p. So do all Blu Ray discs.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • KismetKismet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    As the others have said, you either want a new receiver (expensive) or a video switch, preferably with a remote. Now, the best thing about having a receiver properly hooked up and everything is ease of use. It's nice to hit a button and be able to switch video and audio from several sources - when I want to choose whether to watch TV, use the 360, PS2, or Wii, it's simply a matter of hitting the correct button on the receiver's remote (and not having to change a thing on the tv) - it's just handy.

Adding a video switch instead just means having to switch two things (one audio, one video) instead of the one, at the benefit of cost savings. If you do go that route, I would recommend finding one that uses a remote, and then pick up a programmable remote that can learn signals from other remotes - then you can just set it up to switch audio and video together(by programming one button for two steps).

Kismet on