As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Living in a loft and simplifying

2»

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It would just be a size issue. Before you head up there, make a diagram of your wardrobe and take lots of measurements.

ie: From wall to wall inside the wardrobe. From front to back. From hole to hole.

Then just take in a measuring tape when you go and see what will fit. I think they also have measuring tapes for you to use there.. at the very least the paper ones at the front before you go in.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PARTY AT LAVAKNIGHT'S PLACE, WOO.

But uh, yeah. Keep us updated.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ha ha, cool, thanks guys. Does anyone have any experience with the Ikea wardrobes and/or drawers in particular? I'll definitely measure everything pretty thoroughly and check with the drawer specifications online before I take the trip to the Ikea, so thanks for the tip.

I actually got my hair cut from that Salon last week. They kind of do a lot of wig work for drag shows, which might explain the photo. They're a really great salon, though, and the hope is that it will bring a good, established clientele to an area that's...let's just say kind of sketchy.

And yeah, party at my place if any of you venture out to Reno!

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey everyone! I wanted to thank everyone for the help they gave two months ago. I have since moved in and dealt with all the stressors that come along with moving, but am very happy in the loft! As a way of saying thanks, I cleaned up a little today and took some photos to share with you all! I know I love seeing results in H&A threads, so the least I could do is follow through with mine!

Entrance with art wall:
    entryway1024.jpg w1024.png

Wardrobes and room area:
    wardrobes1024.jpg w1024.png

Living room:
    livingroom1024.jpg w1024.png

My desk and computer
    deskperspective1024.jpg w1024.png

Desk part two because I love the desk:
    deskstraight1024.jpg w1024.png

Kitchen and dining room:
    kitchenandtable1024.jpg w1024.png

Kitchen tile closer:
    tileandpainting1024.jpg w1024.png

And finally, the cat you saw on the couch, playing with a plastic piece from a milk carton:
    catundertable1024.jpg w1024.png

Thanks again for the help and advice everyone. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask!

Edit: Looks like Picassa links wont embed. Lemme imageshack 'em really quick. That should do it.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow... I could never live there. Way too cramped for me hehe. Glad you managed to make it work for you though.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks nice, I like your arts.

Where are the bikes?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    :lol:

I was sure someone would ask about them. In the first photo, they are down and to the left leaning against the wall. As soon as I get paid again, I'm going to buy a wall mounted bike rack to get them off of the ground and out of the way.

And I'm only down to two bikes now, which is a little more manageable.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ditched the girlfriend eh?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ha ha, no. Her bike is at her house, for the moment ;-)

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Way to not show us the bed, man.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah, good call. It's not very exciting, because it's just a mattress up top and I rarely make it because, well, it's up and out of view all day! The one thing I'm disappointed about is that I can't get a bed bigger than the full that I have now. A bigger bed is seeming more and more useful, if you know what I mean :winky:

I'll post a couple in the morning.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nice work, looks good!

I live in a loft myself, and while mine is more spartan, I like yours quite a bit.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's a really nice, if small, space. Looks like you've done really well with making it work as well as possible. I'm impressed.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    My desk and computer
    deskperspective1024.jpg w1024.png

Desk part two because I love the desk:
    deskstraight1024.jpg w1024.png

Thanks again for the help and advice everyone. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask!
    The desk, where did you get this from? I like it and will be moving soon and need to furnish this new apartment since my current one is mostly furnished by the landlord. Any tips on where to get furnishings at?

Looks like you did a nice job with it, hopefully mine looks half as nice.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, promised photos!

Ladder leading up to the bed:
    ladder1024.jpg

And my bed! Just barely enough room for me to sit up and not hit my head ;-)
    bed1024.jpg w1024.png

Yeah, the space is pretty darn small, but I feel that I have successfully simplified where it counts. I got rid of a lot of old books, and put some old systems and games (ps2, genesis, 64...) into my family's storage unit, leaving those movies, games, and books that I'm most likely to use and display.

The pantry seen to the right of the kitchen doubles as a small closet, with foodstuff in the top glass portion, and computer hardware boxes and other things that I need but don't want out cluttering things up down below. The screen between the wardrobes hides a broom, vacuum, my snowboard, and other things that don't really have a place in the flow of the living areas.

As for the desk, I bought mine used on Craigslist, but you're in luck! I happened to see a deal on Gizmodo a month of two back for the same desk, and found out that it's from Staples. In general, glass desks feel very clean, but I struggled to get cables under control in the back. I ended up buying a cable management rack from Ikea, and zip-tying a whole bunch of the cables to it, but there are a lot of DIY cable management solutions on the net. Let me know if you want me to link any of them.

I bought most of the furnishings used, so my advice is to troll craigslist every day, looking for pieces that you need. Even wood pieces like the tables the tv is on, or the coffee table, can be well integrated into a relatively modern space, as long as you keep modern in mind. Ikea is the go-to place (and luckily, I found the wardrobes and pantry used here in Reno, as the closest Ikea is 3 hours away in Sacramento), as long as you don't go overboard and buy smart from them.

I'm glad you guys like it! If anyone's ever in Reno, let me know!

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is really cool
    but I've always dug really small bed areas

RubberAC on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's awesome man. You'll have to show us the bike racks once you have them set up.

Makes me want to try out a loft. Right now I am in the anti-loft: sharing a large old house with a bunch of roommates.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have the opposite problem. Not enough stuff to fill the space I have. Just bought a house and only have enough fu... well, not even enough to fill one room. I need either a recliner or another love seat to fill out my living room.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh man, I am LOVING your loft area. It looks so cool!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if the shower area being directly under the bed would ever be an issue. It's structurally sound, right? No water damage and one day you come crashing through the ceiling?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2009
    It shouldn't be an issue. I might worry if the ventilation wasn't very good, but I have yet to see any moisture buildup directly above the shower.

Glad you guys like it, and thanks for the well wishes!

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really like the layout and even the fact that everything is close together, looks really cool and contemporary to me. I think because everything is new and modern it looks good, I'm not sure that I could live in an older place like that.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Woah. It's like a bunk bed with a shower underneath. I always thought "Loft" was a artists' way of saying "studio apartment.'

I saw something similar to the shower-with-a-bed-on-top thing, only it was a desk format -- basically it was a bunk bed with a desk underneath.

KiTA on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Some proper cable management would really help clean up the office area.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    they also sell that desk or a VERY similar one at wal-mart if you're nearer to one of those

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of the office and cable management, what do you suggest? I have a cable holder I attached onto the back of the desk, and a lot of the computer ones are hidden behind the tower on the right, with the visible ones belonging to the speakers, which allow them to move back and forth between the monitor and the tv.

As for the cables on the left, I think part of the problem is that some of them are slightly short and have to stretch, but also that they have to cross the desk to the tower. I'm hoping to upgrade my system soon, into a smaller case hopefully. When I do that, the case might fit on the bottom shelf, and all the cables can hopefully be hidden behind the system to the left.

If you have any suggestions, though, let me know!

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    only switch to a smaller case if youre positive it will still have good airflow

RubberAC on