As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cheap/Reliable wireless router

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
Self explanatory.

Could use a new one. The one I currently have is completely erratic and none of the features work.

I'd like features like MAC address filtering, encryption, etc.

Thanks in advance PA!

Sheep on

Posts

  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Linksys is pretty much defacto... even N routers are so trivialized that it's basically a single circuit board sitting in a cheap plastic shell. Can't get much cheaper than that. I picked up mine at Target for about 50ish... don't go to Best Buy, the prices are jacked up.

    Jasconius on
  • warmepwarmep Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you want a 802.11b/g router, Asus makes some good DD-WRT compatible routers. This or this would do the trick.

    warmep on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sometimes I have the most horrible dreams. Or maybe they are real. Do dead men dream?
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Linksys is pretty much defacto... even N routers are so trivialized that it's basically a single circuit board sitting in a cheap plastic shell. Can't get much cheaper than that. I picked up mine at Target for about 50ish... don't go to Best Buy, the prices are jacked up.

    I'll check it out, but I've purchased two Linksys in the past and both crapped out on me after about a year of use, and I could never get WEP or WPA encryption to work on them.

    Sheep on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just got a really good Asus one off Newegg for ~35.

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I gotta tell ya, I've always been a Linksys fan. The latest round of hardware from them (WRT110N, WRT160N, WRT610N, etc.), however, is not impressive from a reliability standpoint. Looks elsewhere. As others have mentioned, ASUS is looking to be a good option these days. Oh, and make sure you can run DD-WRT on it. You may not want to now, but probably will at some point in the future.

    underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    underdonk wrote: »
    Yeah, I gotta tell ya, I've always been a Linksys fan. The latest round of hardware from them (WRT110N, WRT160N, WRT610N, etc.), however, is not impressive from a reliability standpoint. Looks elsewhere. As others have mentioned, ASUS is looking to be a good option these days. Oh, and make sure you can run DD-WRT on it. You may not want to now, but probably will at some point in the future.

    Take a look at the WRT310N or WRT320N on Amazon, they should still be on sale. Some of those Linksys routers you mentioned are doing a pretty nice job. You just have to remember to update or replace the firmware immediately and not use the Linksys software to configure the things.

    Dark Shroud on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    underdonk wrote: »
    Yeah, I gotta tell ya, I've always been a Linksys fan. The latest round of hardware from them (WRT110N, WRT160N, WRT610N, etc.), however, is not impressive from a reliability standpoint. Looks elsewhere. As others have mentioned, ASUS is looking to be a good option these days. Oh, and make sure you can run DD-WRT on it. You may not want to now, but probably will at some point in the future.

    Take a look at the WRT310N or WRT320N on Amazon, they should still be on sale. Some of those Linksys routers you mentioned are doing a pretty nice job. You just have to remember to update or replace the firmware immediately and not use the Linksys software to configure the things.

    I have one WRT310N which, above and beyond the others, seems to be quite stable. It's running DD-WRT and is mounted vertically on a wall which apparently solves some of the heat problems that this specific model suffers from. The two WRT160Ns I use on a daily basis are, unfortunately, are V3 models and there is no DD-WRT support. I've upgraded to the newest version of Linksys firmware on both of them and both still suffer from reliability problems (need to be rebooted on a regular basis). From my understanding, this is not an uncommon problem.

    underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've heard there's a new version of the WRT160, the WRT160NL. It should be something like the WRT54GL (awesome and DD-WRT/Tomato capable) as opposed to the WRT54G (crap, atleast the later models did not have enough memory). So Im waiting to hear some reviews if this is true like last time.

    gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    gneGne wrote: »
    I've heard there's a new version of the WRT160, the WRT160NL. It should be something like the WRT54GL (awesome and DD-WRT/Tomato capable) as opposed to the WRT54G (crap, atleast the later models did not have enough memory). So Im waiting to hear some reviews if this is true like last time.

    That would be teh bombz0rZ. Hit me up with a PM if/when you get any info, if you don't mind.

    underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    underdonk wrote: »
    gneGne wrote: »
    I've heard there's a new version of the WRT160, the WRT160NL. It should be something like the WRT54GL (awesome and DD-WRT/Tomato capable) as opposed to the WRT54G (crap, atleast the later models did not have enough memory). So Im waiting to hear some reviews if this is true like last time.

    That would be teh bombz0rZ. Hit me up with a PM if/when you get any info, if you don't mind.

    Take your pick. :)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124343&Tpk=WRT160NL

    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-N-Broadband-Storage-WRT160NL/dp/B0028N6VLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246977416&sr=1-1

    Dark Shroud on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    underdonk wrote: »
    gneGne wrote: »
    I've heard there's a new version of the WRT160, the WRT160NL. It should be something like the WRT54GL (awesome and DD-WRT/Tomato capable) as opposed to the WRT54G (crap, atleast the later models did not have enough memory). So Im waiting to hear some reviews if this is true like last time.

    That would be teh bombz0rZ. Hit me up with a PM if/when you get any info, if you don't mind.

    Take your pick. :)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124343&Tpk=WRT160NL

    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-N-Broadband-Storage-WRT160NL/dp/B0028N6VLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246977416&sr=1-1

    Sweet. Thanks!

    Anyone want to buy two WRT160Ns (V3)... cheap?

    underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woot has a refurb Linksys WRT110 for $25 shipped today.

    http://www.woot.com

    NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This thread makes me happy, I had been looking at that Asus router. Gonna get me one!

    MarvellousM on
Sign In or Register to comment.