As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's going to be a Viewmaster movie for some reason

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Nonono, not a movie ON the Viewmaster. Because that would be awesome. A movie ABOUT the Viewmaster. And it's not a documentary, no. It's going to be some random adventure movie. Centering around the Viewmaster. Made by big-name Hollywood folk. Yeah.
"Fringe" co-producer/writer Brad Caleb Kane will be writing a movie based on the View-Master toy, which first came on the market in 1939.

He announced on his Twitter account that after he's done penning the sci-fi action-adventure Uprising for director Wolfgang Petersen and Columbia Pictures, he will take on the project for DreamWorks Pictures.

Kane says Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci ("Fringe," Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek) are behind the film and that it will be "like the old 80's Amblin movies: Goonies, Young Sherlock... In that vein."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56857

Between this and the Asteroids movie (based on the ancient arcade game, no less than four movie studios got into a bidding war over it) I'm starting to wonder if there's anything that won't get a movie treatment.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What's a Viewmaster?

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It'll be some kind of magical Viewmaster.

    Maybe a Mexican mysticism Viewmaster that shows what people are really like on the inside.

    Or it'll be a demonically possessed Viewmaster with slides of the coming cataclysm, and Nicholas Cage has to figure out a way to stop it. They'll call it "Viewing".

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    viewmastermovie.jpg

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How the.. I mean. What the phu..

    Its a..but how can a, who would write a... I mean.

    What the fuck?

    Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Or it'll be a demonically possessed Viewmaster with slides of the coming cataclysm, and Nicholas Cage has to figure out a way to stop it. They'll call it "Viewing".

    I would like to buy your idea for $1,000,000


    Or perhaps subscribe to your newsletter.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    How the.. I mean. What the phu..

    Its a..but how can a, who would write a... I mean.

    What the fuck?

    Hollywood brass is made of fail and stupid. And the blow doesn't help either.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maybe it will be part of the WTF RoboCop remake?!.

    Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Meh. It won't be a movie about the Viewmaster any more than The Lake House was a movie about a mailbox. It'll just be the device that drives the plot.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    what was the name of that 90s kid-ninja movie, where one of the kids in the movie was always playing the gameboy game OF the movie, to figure out how to beat bad guys, whatever?

    Evander on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    what was the name of that 90s kid-ninja movie, where one of the kids in the movie was always playing the gameboy game OF the movie, to figure out how to beat bad guys, whatever?

    You just made my brain explode.

    Thanks a lot.

    RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    what was the name of that 90s kid-ninja movie, where one of the kids in the movie was always playing the gameboy game OF the movie, to figure out how to beat bad guys, whatever?

    Toy Story 2? That was actually pretty awesome.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    what was the name of that 90s kid-ninja movie, where one of the kids in the movie was always playing the gameboy game OF the movie, to figure out how to beat bad guys, whatever?

    Toy Story 2? That was actually pretty awesome.

    What? No.

    I want to say it was one of the "3 Ninjas" movies, but I feel like it was something else, but similar.

    Evander on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    what was the name of that 90s kid-ninja movie, where one of the kids in the movie was always playing the gameboy game OF the movie, to figure out how to beat bad guys, whatever?
    Surf Ninjas. And now for making me remember that, you need to die.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Or it'll be a demonically possessed Viewmaster with slides of the coming cataclysm, and Nicholas Cage has to figure out a way to stop it. They'll call it "Viewing".

    I would like to buy your idea for $1,000,000.

    And then turn it into a sequel to 8mm.

    *click* OH DEAR LORD NO

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It was "Surf Ninjas", and it was a GameGear.

    edit: my google-fu is slow on a phone

    Evander on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    From the people that brought you Battleship and Ouija...
    In a world...
    There was a boy...
    Who looked too deeply into things best left unseen...
    "Look at what I found in the attic!"
    "Cool, what is it!?"
    *blows off dust* "It says 'viewmaster'..."
    *random scary scenes*
    Viewmaster, coming July 4th, 2013. Thisfilmisnotyetrated.

    Tomanta on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Please, please, please let the Viewmaster be evil and stalking a scantily clad starlet.

    Also, please let it have a Bob the Builder disk stuck in it.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Yes!

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    I am not sure what to think about this.

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    Maybe it will be part of the WTF RoboCop remake?!.

    :cry:

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    what was the name of that 90s kid-ninja movie, where one of the kids in the movie was always playing the gameboy game OF the movie, to figure out how to beat bad guys, whatever?

    Well, it's already been made clear that it was Surf Ninjas, but the number of people who can recall that fact at will makes me feel better about having the same ability.

    However, I do still get Surf Ninjas/3 Ninjas/3 Ninjas Kick Back confused.

    Delzhand on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That Surf Ninjas thing seems brilliantly meta.

    I'm guessing the rest of the movie didn't live up to that idea.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So it'll be like Jumanji, Zathura, or even The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (insofar as you take the idea as "commonplace, everyday object ends up to be magical gateway to children's adventure")? Something like "hey, this magical Viewmaster brings the things in the disc to life!" or, "I'm in the disc!"

    Huh. Well, I guess the kiddies will like it. Maybe.

    I'm far more excited about the Asteroids movie. It's just practically bursting with character development and plot!

    darkgrue on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    That Surf Ninjas thing seems brilliantly meta.

    I'm guessing the rest of the movie didn't live up to that idea.

    Actually, the concept as to why he could use his Game Gear to tell the future wasn't a bad one - the kid had the power of precognition/prophesy, and the Game Gear acted as a conduit for that power. Implementation sucked, though.

    Now, since I was able to remember that - please shoot me now and put me out of my misery.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    That Surf Ninjas thing seems brilliantly meta.

    I'm guessing the rest of the movie didn't live up to that idea.

    No.

    HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    That Surf Ninjas thing seems brilliantly meta.

    I'm guessing the rest of the movie didn't live up to that idea.

    Actually, the concept as to why he could use his Game Gear to tell the future wasn't a bad one - the kid had the power of precognition/prophesy, and the Game Gear acted as a conduit for that power. Implementation sucked, though.

    Oh, that's stupid.

    I was hoping that it was a breaking of the fourth wall, where they realize that they're in a bad action movie with gratuitous merchandising, and they use the movie's own merchandising against it.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    That Surf Ninjas thing seems brilliantly meta.

    I'm guessing the rest of the movie didn't live up to that idea.

    Actually, the concept as to why he could use his Game Gear to tell the future wasn't a bad one - the kid had the power of precognition/prophesy, and the Game Gear acted as a conduit for that power. Implementation sucked, though.

    Oh, that's stupid.

    I was hoping that it was a breaking of the fourth wall, where they realize that they're in a bad action movie with gratuitous merchandising, and they use the movie's own merchandising against it.

    It was called Surf Ninjas.

    I think you set the bar a little too high.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    That Surf Ninjas thing seems brilliantly meta.

    I'm guessing the rest of the movie didn't live up to that idea.

    Actually, the concept as to why he could use his Game Gear to tell the future wasn't a bad one - the kid had the power of precognition/prophesy, and the Game Gear acted as a conduit for that power. Implementation sucked, though.

    Oh, that's stupid.

    I was hoping that it was a breaking of the fourth wall, where they realize that they're in a bad action movie with gratuitous merchandising, and they use the movie's own merchandising against it.

    It was called Surf Ninjas.

    I think you set the bar a little too high.

    Well I dunno, some movies that look stupid on the surface actually turn out to have a really smart and subversive undercurrent. Robocop is a really good example that's already been brought up in this thread. Or Gremlins 2.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    That Surf Ninjas thing seems brilliantly meta.

    I'm guessing the rest of the movie didn't live up to that idea.

    Actually, the concept as to why he could use his Game Gear to tell the future wasn't a bad one - the kid had the power of precognition/prophesy, and the Game Gear acted as a conduit for that power. Implementation sucked, though.

    Oh, that's stupid.

    I was hoping that it was a breaking of the fourth wall, where they realize that they're in a bad action movie with gratuitous merchandising, and they use the movie's own merchandising against it.

    It was called Surf Ninjas.

    I think you set the bar a little too high.

    Well I dunno, some movies that look stupid on the surface actually turn out to have a really smart and subversive undercurrent. Robocop is a really good example that's already been brought up in this thread. Or Gremlins 2.

    Last Action Hero is my favorite example of this.

    I must have missed the smart and subversive undercurrent of Gremlins 2.

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RussellRussell Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Maybe it will be part of the WTF RoboCop remake?!.

    :cry:

    The first Robocop movie was an extremely violent Reagan-era satire... A sort of dark, comic doomsday scenario based on fears of a skyrocketing crime rate and unrestrained corporate power. It always seemed quintessentially 80s to me.

    I don't know how well it would work remade now.

    In other words, does anyone think the 'let's reboot this old franchise for ez $$$' impulse in Hollywood is getting too strong?

    Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I must have missed the smart and subversive undercurrent of Gremlins 2.

    They don't just break the fourth wall, they demolish it and dance atop the rubble.

    I mean, they had Leonard Maltin review the movie in the movie and then get attacked by gremlins. How awesome is that?

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Russell wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Maybe it will be part of the WTF RoboCop remake?!.

    :cry:

    The first Robocop movie was an extremely violent Reagan-era satire... A sort of dark, comic doomsday scenario based on fears of a skyrocketing crime rate and unrestrained corporate power. It always seemed quintessentially 80s to me.

    I don't know how well it would work remade now.

    The movie wouldn't be able to keep anything resembling it's original message. If it tried, it would inevitably look dated and silly. The original only still works when viewed as an artifact of that era. (And when viewed as such, it's brilliant.)

    It would certainly possible to reimagine the franchise with similarly subversive themes in such a way as to provide for excellent social commentary. But that's not going to happen. It's going to be a stupid action flick with flashy-yet-vapid CG effects.

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Russell wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Maybe it will be part of the WTF RoboCop remake?!.

    :cry:

    The first Robocop movie was an extremely violent Reagan-era satire... A sort of dark, comic doomsday scenario based on fears of a skyrocketing crime rate and unrestrained corporate power. It always seemed quintessentially 80s to me.

    I don't know how well it would work remade now.

    The movie wouldn't be able to keep anything resembling it's original message. If it tried, it would inevitably look dated and silly. The original only still works when viewed as an artifact of that era. (And when viewed as such, it's brilliant.)

    It would certainly possible to reimagine the franchise with similarly subversive themes in such a way as to provide for excellent social commentary. But that's not going to happen. It's going to be a stupid action flick with flashy-yet-vapid CG effects.

    I could see it working by replacing the company that makes Robocop with something like Blackwater.

    But that is basically not gonna happen.

    HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You guys suck, as a Kid, Surf Ninja's was awesome. I mean cmon, it had the guy who played Keno in TMNT 2.

    I personally welcome our new viewmaster overlords...

    Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Russell wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Maybe it will be part of the WTF RoboCop remake?!.

    :cry:

    The first Robocop movie was an extremely violent Reagan-era satire... A sort of dark, comic doomsday scenario based on fears of a skyrocketing crime rate and unrestrained corporate power. It always seemed quintessentially 80s to me.

    I don't know how well it would work remade now.

    The movie wouldn't be able to keep anything resembling it's original message. If it tried, it would inevitably look dated and silly. The original only still works when viewed as an artifact of that era. (And when viewed as such, it's brilliant.)

    It would certainly possible to reimagine the franchise with similarly subversive themes in such a way as to provide for excellent social commentary. But that's not going to happen. It's going to be a stupid action flick with flashy-yet-vapid CG effects.

    I could see it working by replacing the company that makes Robocop with something like Blackwater.

    But that is basically not gonna happen.
    A plot involving a Goldman Sachs-type company using a blackwater-esque PMC to wipe out areas of forclosed homes (that the Goldman Sachs type company issued the loans for knowing they would fail) might not be so bad honestly.

    But then again, you're sort of into "The International" territory there.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ITT: PA D&D proves it can do the jobs of Hollywood execs better then they can.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    ITT: PA D&D proves it can do the jobs of Hollywood execs better then they can.

    I just popped a pimple on my ass, and the sound it made as it deflated was a better film concept than 90% of what comes out of Hollywood.

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    ITT: PA D&D proves it can do the jobs of Hollywood execs better then they can.

    I just popped a pimple on my ass, and the sound it made as it deflated was a better film concept than 90% of what comes out of Hollywood.

    And you continue to prove me right!

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    what was the name of that 90s kid-ninja movie, where one of the kids in the movie was always playing the gameboy game OF the movie, to figure out how to beat bad guys, whatever?

    You just made my brain explode.

    Thanks a lot.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHGSXmOMqE

    Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    there was definitely a music video where a kid finds a viewmaster and it transports him to the beach

    Randall_Flagg on
Sign In or Register to comment.