As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play]Spider-Man:Web of Shadows - Set 11 - Swing to the end

KlykaKlyka DO you have anySPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
Web_of_shadows_boxart.jpg
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows is a video game title encompassing three versions: a full-3D action game for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows and Wii; a 2.5D sidescrolling beat em up action game for the PlayStation Portable and PlayStation 2 (called Amazing Allies Edition), and a 2.5D side-scrolling brawler/platformer for the Nintendo DS.
At various points in the game, the player will be able to choose between good and evil paths. There are multiple endings depending on how the game is played out. In addition, the player will decide which villains to fight against. The player will be able to switch between the classic red and blue suit, and the Symbiote suit at any time during gameplay. Red and blue-suited Spider-Man is fast and agile, while Symbiote Spider-Man is stronger and more destructive.

Hey guys and girls, welcome to another one of my Let's Plays!

I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and have been ever since I was a kid. So now that I got my hands on this game's PC version, I'm really looking forward to a fun and exciting LP. A lot of people may say negative things about this game,but when it comes down to it, it's a really fun Spider-Man game and that's what it's all about. Please keep the discussion of how much better Spider-Man 2's webswinging is to a minimum ;)

So, I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I will and will follow me on my journey through the Webhead's version of Manhattan.

Please note that you can vote on whether I should go as Red&Blue or Black Spidey. I will do a complete run through being only good or only bad,depending on the vote, constantly switching and being something of a neutral guy is not my kinda thing. I personally prefer Red&Blue from a gameplay point of view and Black for the story. You decide!

Set 01 - Your friendly(?) neighborhood Spider-Man
Set 02 - You wore a tiara!
Set 03 - Here, Kitty Kitty Kitty!
Set 04 - High Altitude, Lowsy Opponents
Set 05 - Deranged Wallcrawlers
Set 06 - Danger, Symbiotic Voltage
Set 07 - Riding the Rhino
Set 08 - Shockingly Slimy
Set 09 - Birds in a web
Set 10 - Symbiote Road Bus
Set 11 - Swing to the end

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
lTDyp.jpg
Klyka on

• PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are you some sort of video recording and encoding machine?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    Are you some sort of video recording and encoding machine?

I just have three days off right now, ending today.

Also,the velvet assassin videos were encoded last week already, I just had to upload them these past two days and my upload is sloooooow.

Also, I am German. I work while I sleep.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wow just after the first video i already hate the VA for spidey. how could anyone think that was good for the game/character?

i almost picked this game up a few weeks ago but read about how bad of a port it was and shied away so i'll definitely be watching.although after watching the first set ,outside of the voice acting and the volume issue it didn't seem to play that terrible so far.

i'll vote red spidey even though the voice is slightly better on symbiote spidey (which i'm still trying to figure out how it split from the main venom/brock symbiote.)

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You're a machine, Klyka. A wonderful german machine.

This game looks like a lot of fun; so I can't wait to see it play out. The swinging is fine, so I'm going to first vote that you don't have to cut for a mission. I'm sure if it becomes a problem later we might change it, but for now, it's entertaining enough to watch.

But I did have a question about that. Does Black Spidey swing mostly the same as Red and Blue Spidey? I think the majority of the time you were swinging around, it was as Red spidey and even during the second vid, you more ran and jumped instead.

It's kind of a hard vote for me. I can imagine the story might be better for Black Spidey, but being able to throw cars seems pretty meh, especially when Red gets to fly around and teleport and such. And as mentioned the VA for the Black Spidey (Got, that's getting tiring to type out >.> ) is much better.

I'd like to vote Black Spidey because of the better story/VA, but ultimately, I think Red will be more entertaining to watch. So I'm voting Red and Blue suit.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is the PC version of this game like how the other PC versions of Spiderman games are? That is, complete pieces of shit? There was one with the preplanned swing points (I think it was for Spiderman 2).

edit: Hmm, it appears that this game has brought back "helicopter" web swinging. That is, the web attaches to the sky (The cartoon would joke that there was a helicopter off screen every time Spidey did that)

double edit: Oh wait, it does attach to buildings. So how is the webswinging different this time around? Does it just feel different?

triple edit: AUGGGGGGGGGGH HIS VOICE IS TERRIBLE!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    his voice really isn't bad. It's only fucking horrible in the intro. It appears that the voice actor did not excel in making a panicked voice.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited July 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    his voice really isn't bad. It's only fucking horrible in the intro. It appears that the voice actor did not excel in making a panicked voice.

Yeah, it got better once Luke Cage showed up. It started to go into a more "aw shucks" mode.

But seriously, "Everything's gonna be okay. I love my present!"

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2009
    My favorite line is still "you are of no help!"

who says that?

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was about to buy this last weekend, but then i remembered ive been overwhelmed with NYC based games, and i need to stay away for a few months. This LP will make me happy for a while though, im vicarious like that.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
    edited July 2009
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I was about to buy this last weekend, but then i remembered ive been overwhelmed with NYC based games, and i need to stay away for a few months. This LP will make me happy for a while though, im vicarious like that.

It's a great place to set a game. Lots of streets and tall buildings that you can jump off of. Also, it's fairly familiar to many people.
    My favorite line is still "you are of no help!"

who says that?

I like how he says he "had to see about a friend". That's really old fashioned lingo.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Black suit

Sir Platypus on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game looks excruciatingly boring.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game is awesome. I only wish that I hadn't traded it in after getting it 100% completed.

Houndx on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How does the swinging compare to other Spidey games?

Muddy Water on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm gonna vote red and blue spidey.

Rizzi on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, Spider-Man's voice is horrible.

edit: Not just Spidey, it's everybody.

Burden of Proof on
    edited July 2009
    Well the game has Robin Atkin Downes, of smoldering generic rage fame. And Tricia Helfer, so it's got "celebrite".

Apparently, one of Luke Cage's canned lines is "It's Christmas time, baby!" a la Terry Tate.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2009
    More people need to vote Black suit so I can get my Spidey on with sweet sweet Tricia Helfer/Black Cat.
    That voice.... SO SEDUCTIVE.

The swinging isn't really bad,it just doesn't have the same "realistic" physics that Spider-Man 2 had. Which basically means I can pull off lots of cool looking stuff easily. Also, I can swing upwards and suddenly GAIN speed and push further up. It's...weird, but helps a lot.

I'll try to keep the repetitiveness to a minimum,but it IS a sandbox Spidey game,so we basically only have swinging,punching,swinging and some more punching.
    I will definitely NOT abuse the Webzip-Attack though.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    More people need to vote Black suit so I can get my Spidey on with sweet sweet Tricia Helfer/Black Cat.
    That voice.... SO SEDUCTIVE.

After a quick IMDBing, Changing my vote to Black Suit. I've heard her play Black Cat in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoons. Very much a fan. (Also, I just really wanted the Black Suit story.)

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited July 2009
    according to Youtube comments, a vote for Black Suit is a vote for a dance number

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I vote for Regular Spider-Man. Come on Peter, don't fall off the wagon.

Owenashi on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Klyka, you have filled the Helloween-shaped hole in my heart with your awesome LPs. I couldn't even imagine if you were both doing one at the same time. I think the forums would explode from pure awesome!

Also, red and blue for great justice!

IdolNinja on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    according to Youtube comments, a vote for Black Suit is a vote for a dance number

Going with black suit.

Zandracon on
    edited July 2009
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    Klyka, you have filled the Helloween-shaped hole in my heart with your awesome LPs. I couldn't even imagine if you were both doing one at the same time. I think the forums would explode from pure awesome!

Also, red and blue for great justice!

Thanks!

Maybe you should get the bomb shelter build...just to be sure I mean.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2009
    phhhh, there's no dance number.

though it is worth it for Black Cat. And the story is way more absurd.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited July 2009
    phhhh, there's no dance number.

though it is worth it for Black Cat. And the story is way more absurd.

Stay tuned.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Set 02 - You wore a tiara!
    Spider-Man 3 lives and dances again!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Red and blue suit won? Hmm. I hope this doesn't mean more whiny Parker.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game looks excruciatingly boring.

The DS version was the best of all the Web of Shadows games.

Kelor on
    edited July 2009
    The swinging actually looks pretty rad. Cartoony, but that's what I expect. I don't want buildings to get in my way when I swing!

Was that a Take 5 gum ad I saw? Product placement?

edit: Hmm, lot of black space at the end of that last video. Good though.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game has the best orb colecting.... well, as good as you can get. You can see those things from a mile off. ALso, black spidey needs moar time. I played through r&b spidey because i didn't like the black spidey moves. But after youtubing it, I really should've spent more time on it.

Also, what do you use to capture the footage and put it onto the pc?

Big Classy on
    edited July 2009
    I use FRAPS and I don't have to put it on the PC,it's already on there. This is the PC version I'm playing.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2009
    oh. My bad, watching it on the laptop and the 'press A' on the initial video threw me off. I'm guessing you're using the 360 pad? In any case, good job. I love this game to bits. Takes alot to come back from the abortion that is spidey 3. Different devs, I know, but still, they had their work cut out for them.

Big Classy on
    edited July 2009
    Yes, I'm using the 360 pad. Which I think I said at the very start of the LP,haha.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2009
    i don't have sound :p
    I do, but I'm in the living room and I'd rather not break the awkward silence with the soothing sounds of our resident german lol

Big Classy on
    edited July 2009
    Hahaha, watching an LP without sound?

Why do I put all the work into the canned jokes and the laughtracks :cry:

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Not to worry mein friendle (my attempt at german) I'll go through it again tonight properly on the old desktop anyway. It looks like a series of screenshots on the laptop.

Big Classy on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, it got better once Luke Cage showed up. It started to go into a more "aw shucks" mode.

I'm literally cringing every time he says something.

Burden of Proof on
    edited July 2009
    see, watching it without sound doesn't seem such a bad idea now does it folks?! :p

Big Classy on
    edited July 2009
    Wiki says the developers of this game are the same guys who developed Spiderman 3. And apparently are working on Call of Duty 7.

The developers have got to be foreign, since the script is so awkwardly American.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png