As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic The Gathering

• Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Alright, I'm getting the machination of my new deck put together. It uses green accel to get out all 5 colors, then...

Scion of the Ur-Dragon (WURGB)
    Conspiracy on table.

Main Phase:
    Play Scion's Activated Ability to turn it into a Deep-Sea Kraken.
    [Kraken in GY]
    Turn Scion into a Yore-Tiller Nephalim
    [Nephalim, Kraken in GY]
    Declare Attackers Step
    Swing with Scion(Turned Yore-Tiller)
    --Scion pulls the Kraken out of the graveyard, attacking. (As per Yore-Till)
    --After this effect has resolved, play the ability again, turning it into the second copy of Deep Sea Kraken.

Result: Opponent is smacked for 12 unblockable, and I have a Kraken on the table. Pretty much GG.

I think I'll run one-of Fortune Theif in there as well, which will effectively buy me another turn to live. Combined with 4 brainspoils, that can fetch both a scion or a conspiracy, I feel pretty good about it.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Ur Dragon can't be turned into anything but a dragon, so your idea doesn't work. Also, when it becomes a copy of a dragon, it loses it's copy ability till the end of the turn.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Conspiracy turns everything in graveyard, hand, and whatever into a dragon.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh shit. I didn't even notice that you had that on the board, my bad. You still can't use the Ur-Dragon's ability more than once per turn, however.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    EffStarStarStarEffStarStarStar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Currently Magic suffers from an Ongoing problem of making the Rares really good and Making Commons/Uncommon laughably bad.

At least, that what I gather from the latest sets.

ex. Darksteel=

Rare: Darksteel Ingot. "Hi i'm an indestructable omni mox!"

Uncommon: "Haha, I'm only good if combo'd with rares!"

Common: "ROFL I'm hilariously bad, like most of the other commons!"

You have greatly confused me, sir. Darksteel Ingot is a common, not a rare. And I can't think of anyone who uses it because it's just not very good in constructed. It is about as far from an "omni mox" as possible. If we're using Darksteel as an example, it had its fair share of Uncommons that were hideously good such as Æther Vial and the infamous Skullclamp. And just a glance reveals that many of the rares are bad or forgettable (Turn the Tables, a 5 mana Fog that can fizzle/Viridian Zealot, 2/1 creature that sacs for a Naturalize, but with a mana cost/Darksteel Reactor, does nothing unless you combo it with other cards).

And some of the Darksteel commons see tournament play. Echoing Truth is better than a Boomerang as long as you're not trying to hit a land with it; it also stops a cycled Decree of Justice. Arcbound Worker goes into Affinity decks even in Legacy, I think.

Within any of the rarities, you're going to see different levels of power. Even within a cycle of cards (heh, especially within a cycle of cards) you see varying strengths. Hell, even Sword of Fire and Ice and Sword of Light and Shadow are miles apart in terms of usefulness. If anything, the complaint that Wizards hears more and more these days is that their rares are too bad, not too good. People feel that they're owed at least that one good card in a booster pack.

EffStarStarStar on
  • Options
    EffStarStarStarEffStarStarStar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dr. Face wrote:
    I have an account on MTGO that has 15,000 cards more then I need because I only play one deck now. Not that other decks aren't interesting, I am just infatuated with this one. Its red/blue that centers around Confusion in the Ranks. God I love that deck. I basically beat you with your own stuff. My deck ends up being only as good as yours, and I get to play with all the cool rare cards I don't own (but you do).

I love Confusion in the Ranks. My deck is red/black instead of red/blue. The meanest trick? Even if they're playing a creatureless deck, I play an artifact land, Confusion triggers and I target one of their lands (any permanent that shares a type, and artifact lands are artifact and land), then I play Rust Elemental to get my land back. Now they're down a land and taking 4 damage a turn until they can get rid of it.

[spoiler:d74d067fcc]Okay I lied. The meanest trick is fucking Glitterfang.[/spoiler:d74d067fcc]
    Legoman05 wrote:
    OK, someone explain this to me:

Why is a first turn Stomping Grounds -> Kird Ape so good?

I mean, you're basically taking that Kird Ape beat to make sure that they take a kird ape beat the next turn. Personally, I don't see the point. Is there a point?

Unless it's a mirror match against another aggro deck, any deck that plays turn 1 Kird Ape does not care about taking damage at all. The idea is that the opponent will be face-down in a pool of blood faster than they will, and that's all that matters.

EffStarStarStar on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    SO, apparently, MTGO is running Nix Tix events for the drafts until Jan 2nd. Hmmm.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    SO, apparently, MTGO is running Nix Tix events for the drafts until Jan 2nd. Hmmm.
    What does that mean exactly?

Also, I have an MTGO account, and almost made a thread about it here haha. But since theres an actual MTG thread I wont bother. I just started, but I love how easy it is to get shit I need. Last night I grabbed 32 commons for a buck, and most of them were not lame either. I have a nice Black, Blue, Red, madness deck that I've now spent about $4 on in total, and it would probably cost me well over $20 to make with the real cards.

I love some of the crazy ass decks you find people playing with. My buddy was playing last night against a control deck whose win condition was to play an enchantment (cant think of the name now) that puts 1/1 flying creatures in to play with "Sac this creature, deal 2 damage to target player or creature" or something like that.

edit: eh Ill put the card list for my deck in before I go to work.

BURNINGMADNESSOLOL!!11
    2 Compulsive Research
    2 Consult the Necrosages
    2 Dimir Signet
    4 Fiery Temper
    5 Island
    2 Izzet Signet
    5 Mountain
    4 Necrogen Spellbomb
    4 Perplex
    10 Swamp
    2 Call to the Netherworld
    2 Dark Withering
    2 Drekavac
    4 Gorgon Recluse
    2 Lightning Axe
    2 Nightshade Assassin
    4 Taste for Mayhem
    2 Trespasser il-Vec

Sideboard
    2 Compulsive Research
    2 Consult the Necrosages
    1 Feldon's Cane
    2 Dark Withering
    2 Lightning Axe
    2 Nightshade Assassin
    2 Surging Dementia
    2 Trespasser il-Vec

The side board is merely cards I wanted in there but just couldn't fit in under 60 cards.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I didn't play M:tG for very long, but after an ex got me heavily into it at the beginning of the Mirrodin cycle, I played almost daily until the middle of the Kamigawa cycle.

After I'd mastered deckbuilding, my decks always centered around one thing: making other players so miserable that they never wanted to play Magic again. They were usually speedy combo decks that relied on bouncing/countering/damage mitigation to help me last until I could bring the combo off. Also, I liked to give my decks cute names, like "Malice of the Void," or "Orim Job".

Although deckbuilding was my favorite part of the game, when it came to actual playing, I prefered Draft to Constructed.

naporeon on
  • Options
    NionNion Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I find MTG to be really crappy after collecting\playing a bit of VTES. No 4-card-limit, most of the best cards in the game are commons\uncommons, and when I lose a game I think "he won because he was skilled", not "he won because he's bloody rich". The Common\Uncommon\Rare division actually makes sense there, as most rares are cards you'd never play more than one or two of, while commons are the kinds of cards you'll include 10+ of. I do still enjoy MTG drafts and MTGO leagues. And Ravnica was fun, though enjoying one block in Magic kinda sucks, as it'll rotate out way too fast.

Nion on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh, sorry, nix tix means means you only pay packs to enter a draft. they aren't charging tickets. Basically, it saves you 2 bucks a draft.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Who wants to play a t1 tournament?

Everyone bring your most fucked up deck

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So I think we should start a list of people who have MTGO with there User names. If you guys are online, look me up under the name Sorcelator.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bendery wrote:
    Who wants to play a t1 tournament?

Everyone bring your most fucked up deck
    Haha i'd play some type one. I think we just need a MTG tourney of any sort to get started.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've got a really fun black-white Guildpact deck that has all sorts of awesome expensive rares in there (Skeletal Vampire, Angel of Despair, Orzhov Ghost Council, etc.) but, what has won me more games than any other cards in that deck is a nice little Mourning Thrull+Shadow Lance. That's a common-uncommon combo that can be rediculously destructive.

I also have a pretty sick R-G deck that has yet to find another beat-down deck that can actually take it on. I played a friend's rat deck and completely destroyed him.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I stopped collecting when Urzas Saga went out.

Aside from that, I've got the usual Shadows, Slivers, Artifact, Counterspell, Fire, Thran Turbine Blue/Green, Opals, and Squirrel Token decks. But those are all older sets, and I'm always looking to sell off my collection bit by bit.

When Champions of Kamigawa came out, I got enough cards to make a Kitsune deck, and sold off all the other cards. It was worth it, I love kitsunes (not just the MtG versions) Otherwise my collection days have long been over.

I just don't find it that interesting, and the people that do play here locally, aren't ah....all that 'fun' to play with anyways. It's either rules lawyering, ultra kill power decks, or some other junk that sucks all potential fun out of it. I have better things to do than to sit there for half an hour, watching some guy build up his army (while destroying every permanent on the board except his) to get "the perfect kill".

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hey, if I needed advice on a deck would this be the place to ask or should I go somewhere else (ie. another site)? It'd be nice to get some input on some of my decks.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, we could probably give you an opinion or two, but if you wanted proper critique and helpful suggestions, you might be more likely to find them on a dedicated Magic forum somewhere. WoTC official boards are quite good in this regard, or so I'm told...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So Wizards has a preview card up on the Magic page for Planar Chaos. It's a black Wrath of God. Exact same thing, same cost, just black. Called "Damnation".

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I' re-downloading the MTG:O client as we speak so I'd be up for a game with people who aren't asses.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So Wizards has a preview card up on the Magic page for Planar Chaos. It's a black Wrath of God. Exact same thing, same cost, just black. Called "Damnation".
    Yeah, it's one of the new "timeshifted" cards; it's from an alternate universe where WoG was never White in te first place.
    All the timeshifted stuff from Planar Chaos is going to be severely off-colour stuff like this.

Red counterspells anyone? :P

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I wish I had the moneys so I could build a wtfbbq WB Control deck.

4x Damnation
    4x Wrath
    4x Fetters
    4x Castigate
    4x Pillory o' the Sleepless
    4x Magus of the Disk
    4x Orzhov Signet
    4x Last Gasp
    3x Debtor's Knell

+ Land

Wow. I would fucking hate to play that deck.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote:

images.jpg?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote:

images.jpg?

I can't tell what that is, but I'm assuming it's Molten Influence.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Yeah, it's one of the new "timeshifted" cards; it's from an alternate universe where WoG was never White in te first place.
    All the timeshifted stuff from Planar Chaos is going to be severely off-colour stuff like this.

That sounds retarded. I don't like colourless so I certainly don't like colours being given cards from other colours now!! When I play a red deck I want it to be a red deck.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Eh, don't blame me, I'm not in Wizards R&D...

OTOH, I have always thought that if anyone else was going to get Wrath, it'd be Black...

Hey, maybe there is an actual alternate reality in which Wrath was always black and Mages of the Shore just busted out a preview for a white version and everyone there is all WTF?!

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    IT IS ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT MR. ROSE.

Going to fire up MTGO tommorow now it's installed. I wonder what horrors await me.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote:

images.jpg?

I can't tell what that is, but I'm assuming it's Molten Influence.

I'm far more old school than that. Red launched with a limited counterspell: Red Elemental Blast.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Man, WB doesn't even need more Wraths. They already have the awesome dimir house guard tutor trick :D

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, but now you can have 12-of board wipers. You're basically guaranteed to get three of the damn things in any given game, which makes Debtor's Knell WTFBBQ good.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    From Planar Chaos -

382_4mj2b3f5h5j8mpa9.jpg

[img]Http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/fcpics/making/mr261_at4p9xfsp1tjef48.jpg[/img]

mr261_damnation.jpg

This kind of makes me want to start playing Magic again. Green Ball Lightning FTW.

bruin on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So they just turned Wrath of God from White to Black and gave it a new name?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That damnation card is pretty.

Still, I find it best to ignore rares unless I actually own them, I never want to have to buy a number of blisters with the aim of getting one card.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oh, it gets worse - those timeshifted rares (the ones with white text and different frames are from alternate realities where Wrath was always Black etc.) are only in one of every four packs.

OTOH, I'm one of those crazies that buys boxes of boosters at a time, so I shall probably wind up with one or two (hah!, now I've said that, I'll not get any, will I?).

Actually, I'd rather have a Groundbreaker, especially since Green still has Giant Growth and friends...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have 4 Ball Lightnings that I use in my 1.5 G/R beatdown. I bet Groundbreaker would find a nice home there as well. Now I just have to find 4 of em. I'll probably just buy them from www.trollandtoad.com and not have to worry about opening tons of packs.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    One in every four packs? Are you serious?

Man, why do I even play this game, it's such a money sink.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    OK, some people seem to have gotten confused...

A standard Magic booster has 1 Rare, 3 Uncommons and 11 Commons, right?
    For Time Spiral, this was changed to 1R,3U,10C and one "Timeshifted" card (reprints of old classics like Akroma).
    For Planar Chaos, they're monkeying around with the distribution even more:
    You get one standard Rare, three standard Uncommons and seven standard Commons. the remaining four cards are 3 Timeshifted Commons and either one Rare or one Uncommon Timeshifted card. The ratio of Timeshifted Uncommons to Rares is 3 to 1, hence you only get one Timeshifted Rare in every four packs.
    In addition, continuing from the precedent set in Time Spiral, all "Premium" or foil cards replace a Common rather than whatever rarity the foil card would normally be. Thus, the opportunity exists to get three Rare cards in a single pack.

Is that a bit clearer?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Smarmy LechSmarmy Lech Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've decided to jump back into Magic. The last set to come out when I quit before was Mirrodin, so I feel kind of lost. I know Time Spiral is the latest set, so I'm going to start there. I figure I'll just get to know the cards that came out between those two sets as I encounter them, or would that be stupid?

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Most people who come into Magic from cold have to learn way more than that, so I don't think it's particularly uncommon.
    I would recommend that you start with Standard though; particularly Ravnica and it's Hybrid Mana. Also, because of this, nearly every deck you come across will be multicoloured, which is a departure of sorts from Mirrodin...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've got Magic Online downloading now, let's hope I can remember my username and password.

Do we have an ODAM room set up in there? If not let's get on it. At least if I lose to someone with a horrible deck from here then it's somehow less annoying.

SUPERSUGA on
This discussion has been closed.