As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey, [Chat], wish me luck!

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tarranon wrote:
    Dear D&D

How can I exercise my fingers so that they are more limber and able to move without causing the others to twitch?
    Play more Guitar Hero.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    WASHINGTON -President Bush on Wednesday said the enemy in Iraq is "far from being defeated,"

Woah. Thank God he said something.

Nixon was actually a great president if you were to compare him to Bush. How frightening of a statement is that?

moniker on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Tarranon wrote:
    Dear D&D

How can I exercise my fingers so that they are more limber and able to move without causing the others to twitch?

Finger Dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp5jPbhnA1I&mode=related&search=

Shinto on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Tarranon wrote:
    Dear D&D

Play more Guitar Hero.
    Agreed.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Tarranon wrote:
    Dear D&D

Play more Guitar Hero.

I am but my pinky refuses to strum properly. It just refuses! At this rate I'll never be able to play Carry on My Wayward Son.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    I saw this a second ago.

story.president.ap.jpg

Headline: Bush says he won't be rushed on Iraq changes

Looks like he's squating on the toilet patiently working to push out his new Iraq policy.
    No, I'm pretty sure he's formalising his Middle East diplomatic strategy.

"Put it in a box and mail it to Syria . . . heh heh heh.

When it is on their door step light it on fire."

If I could sig this, I would.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    What's the problem with Vista?
    Oh, not much.

I kinda dig the interface, although they did rip off MAC in a lot of places. I'm gonna wait and see how it plays out; I don't plan on buying a new computer (to meet those hefty sys req's) anytime soon

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tarranon wrote:
    Dear D&D

Surgery to cure your incompetent finger syndrome.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jackisreal on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Oh, not much.
    I kinda dig the interface, although they did rip off MAC in a lot of places. I'm gonna wait and see how it plays out; I don't plan on buying a new computer (to meet those hefty sys req's) anytime soon
    It's also worth pointing out that there will be six different versions, all available in both x86 and x64 versions.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Oh, not much.

At this point, they've ripped off each other so much it doesn't matter.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Oh, not much.
    Microsoft are legally allowed to do it, so the only thing keeping them from doing it more often is public disapproval.

stilist on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Oh, not much.
    Microsoft are legally allowed to do it, so the only thing keeping them from doing it more often is public disapproval.

Well right, but it's rather funny that a "criticism" of Vista is that it looks like OS X, when OS X looks more and more like windows.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    man, mark knopfler can really play.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    mario3.gif

Shinto on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Oh, not much.
    It's also worth pointing out that there will be six different versions, all available in both x86 and x64 versions.

Is the biggest difference in the two architectures that the x64 allows for more RAM?

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Proto wrote:
    I love "Sultans of Swing" so much. Also, there's a guy at the local NPR station that's friends with Knopfler. Apparently, the radio dude e-mailed him years ago when the Web was still fairly young, and ever since then Knopfler has sent him a pre-release copy of his albums.

stilist on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    So, how about that Vista? Have you any of you checked it out?
    I have absolutely no intention of installing Vista or ever using the thing if I can help it.
    This is pretty much my plan.

Dear Linux geeks,

Please make your OS user-friendly.

Love,
    Thanatos
    Seconded. Also it must run my games.

Dear Windows users,

Please yell at your game developers to port games to Linux. id and Epic already do, don't worry about them. Start with Valve, we could really use a Steam client.

Alternatively, switch to consoles for gaming.

Thanks,
    Warlock.

(And modern Linux distributions are pretty damn user friendly, after the install process anyway. Windows's installer is even worse, but you never see it unless something bombs horribly, because Windows comes pre-installed. Just realize that there are some major fundamental differences, do just a little bit of learning, not much, and you'll be fine.)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Oh, not much.
    Well right, but it's rather funny that a "criticism" of Vista is that it looks like OS X, when OS X looks more and more like windows.
    I hate this criticism of Windows, especially since I hear it mostly from Mac fanatics.

Jesus, you like Mac OS, and you're pissed that Windows steals from it? That's like me complaining "shit, this cookie tastes fucking delicious. They stole from that other cookie, fuckers!"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Oh, not much.
    Is the biggest difference in the two architectures that the x64 allows for more RAM?
    Sorta; x64 provides twice the address space, so it can handle maths far better. It also supports newer instruction sets, giving it an advantage over a lot of processors that are out. In essence, it's providing computers with more processing power.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Oh, not much.
    I hate this criticism of Windows, especially since I hear it mostly from Mac fanatics.

Jesus, you like Mac OS, and you're pissed that Windows steals from it? That's like me complaining "shit, this cookie tastes fucking delicious. They stole from that other cookie, fuckers!"

Actually, it's more because Mac is doing the exact same thing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Proto wrote:
    I love "Sultans of Swing" so much. Also, there's a guy at the local NPR station that's friends with Knopfler. Apparently, the radio dude e-mailed him years ago when the Web was still fairly young, and ever since then Knopfler has sent him a pre-release copy of his albums.

The Sailing To Philadelphia album is epic. I could listen to Speedway at Nazareth all night.

Proto on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Whooo

Five hours of Twilight Princess

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Oh, not much.

x86_64 has more general-purpose registers, and the registers have more space (64 bits instead of 32).

If you've never programmed in assembly language: general-purpose registers are a little bit of extremely fast memory located actually inside the processor that hold immediate values that have been loaded from memory or wherever. If you have a constantly-used value and you have to load it from memory every time, it will be slower (and more of a pain to code) than if you can keep it in a register the entire time. Also, it makes coding in asm a hell of a lot easier.

x86_32 has four general purpose registers (eax, ebx, ecx, edx), four registers that are technically general purpose but really you have to be careful with how you use them (esi, edi, esp, ebp) and a couple of registers that you can't fuck with very much if at all (eip, eflags, the section registers, etc.). x86_64 adds another eight general purpose registers (r8, r9, r10, r11, r12, r13, r14, r15). Also, all x86_64 registers are 64 bits long instead of 32.

EDIT: Also, I guess they added in some more stuff that has to do with SSE. I dunno, I've never coded with SSE before.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So Than yu coming to visit when you're in NY?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    (And modern Linux distributions are pretty damn user friendly, after the install process anyway. Windows's installer is even worse, but you never see it unless something bombs horribly, because Windows comes pre-installed. Just realize that there are some major fundamental differences, do just a little bit of learning, not much, and you'll be fine.)
    I'll agree with this for the most part—most Linux distros, once installed, will work pretty well for the average user. For people that fall between "what is an OS?" and "well I guess I'll just code this because I don't like other implementations", Linux falls apart. There's shitloads of choices, few of them more than passable, and I don't want to have to deal with the command prompt if I don't have to, and screw Sourceforge, and my wireless card doesn't work, what now?

In summary: maybe in five years it'll have enough suck removed that I'll consider using it. 'Til then, I'm happy with Windows and OS X.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You guys have to come visit me. :P

Looks like I'm gonna fly into JFK, but I'm in New York from the 28th of December until the 2nd of January. Choose a day (the 29th or 30th would be best), and we'll get together and hang out.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    I'll agree with this for the most part—most Linux distros, once installed, will work pretty well for the average user. For people that fall between "what is an OS?" and "well I guess I'll just code this because I don't like other implementations", Linux falls apart. There's shitloads of choices, few of them more than passable, and I don't want to have to deal with the command prompt if I don't have to, and screw Sourceforge, and my wireless card doesn't work, what now?

In summary: maybe in five years it'll have enough suck removed that I'll consider using it. 'Til then, I'm happy with Windows and OS X.

God damn it, what is it with people hating the command line? Okay, the command line in Windows XP sucks ass. The command line in a *nix system is often the best way to do things. I've got a little app that puts a mini-command line right on my taskbar, I don't know where I'd be without it. Yeah, it takes some learning, but so does everything worthwhile.

And shitloads of choices is a natural result of having every program able to be forked at any time. I suppose it does have its downsides.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I actually just took an assembly language and micro-architecture course this semester, so I am reading the wiki on the x64 and actually understanding a lot of it. :P

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    I actually just took an assembly language and micro-architecture course this semester, so I am reading the wiki on the x64 and actually understanding a lot of it. :P

It's really cool, and I didn't get to use any of it in my asm class this semester because nobody else (least of all our Linux computer lab where we write all our code and all the computers are outdated hand-me-downs from the Windows rooms) has a 64 bit OS running.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    NERD!

Gim on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:

God damn it, what is it with people hating the command line? Okay, the command line in Windows XP sucks ass. The command line in a *nix system is often the best way to do things. I've got a little app that puts a mini-command line right on my taskbar, I don't know where I'd be without it. Yeah, it takes some learning, but so does everything worthwhile.

And shitloads of choices is a natural result of having every program able to be forked at any time. I suppose it does have its downsides.
    I don't hate the command prompt; I'm fairly handy with it. But why make me use it when there's no need? I don't want to compile programs. I understand that Linux is based on open source, but dammit guys, get things together so you can distribute a single binary that'll function on every distro.

Shitloads of choices is purely composed of downsides for somebody who doesn't want to deal with a thousand poor implementations for the same thing, doesn't want to chase around bugs, and doesn't have any personal stake in a project's leadership or direction.

Like Wikipedia, Linux is slowly moving from "horrible, barely-usable mess" to "something that's decent, and maybe even useful". But I have no intention or need to use it in the meantime.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:

It's really cool, and I didn't get to use any of it in my asm class this semester because nobody else (least of all our Linux computer lab where we write all our code and all the computers are outdated hand-me-downs from the Windows rooms) has a 64 bit OS running.

My class was an intro course so we did our coding on a sim of the LC-3, which only has eight total GPR's and really only seven when you consider that R7 holds the PC.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:

The biggest problem with linux is the documentation. The result of all these hackers developing software is that although the software might be good, the documentation sucks ass. Even if you know a whole bunch about computers and software (ie. CS degree), it's a huge pain in the ass to find out how to do some simple things. And I really don't have hours to spend.

Proto on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I will admit that my experience with Linux is limited, but what I did use (which was supposed to be a fairly user-friendly interface) was so counter-intuitive that it took me five minutes to figure out how to do anything.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Shitloads of choices

Shitloads of choices are a pure negative for someone who would rather go get drunk than read a manual.

I count myself squarely in the "someone figure this out for me, because I'm going to go have fun now" camp.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:

My class was an intro course so we did our coding on a sim of the LC-3, which only has eight total GPR's and really only seven when you consider that R7 holds the PC.

Ouch. We at least got x86.
    I will admit that my experience with Linux is limited, but what I did use (which was supposed to be a fairly user-friendly interface) was so counter-intuitive that it took me five minutes to figure out how to do anything.
    Out of curiousity, what were you using and what were you trying to do? Usability bugs are bugs too.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    You guys have to come visit me. :P

Looks like I'm gonna fly into JFK, but I'm in New York from the 28th of December until the 2nd of January. Choose a day (the 29th or 30th would be best), and we'll get together and hang out.

I am all about this.

Seriously.

Edit: the 30th would work best for me.

MikeMan on
This discussion has been closed.