As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

N/A

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Help / Advice Forum

NightDragon on

• Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Entry level resumes are generally education-centric for obvious reasons (if you'd had a job that was really in that field, you wouldn't be entry-level!). Most people have nothing if they don't pad it with things like scooping meat at the local Taco Bell and what have you, some people have related internships which counts for a LOT, more than just a semi-related job.

Don't put it if it's absurdly irrelevant. When I applied for the place I currently work after graduating (an engineering place), I had worked at Arby's, PF Chang's, and as a physics and math tutor. Guess which I mentioned.

I think computer lab/software assistant is pretty good since I think (but I'm not an expert) that games these days rely a lot on computers! The internship is good too. When you list relevant coursework, actually list the specific skills you learned in that class that'll be helpful.

Understand that when they read entry-level resumes they are aware it's an entry level resume and that you just spent the last near half decade or so in school, and so did all the other people applying against you. If you put the Gap, at best they won't give even a little bit of a crap, at worst they're gonna roll their eyes and say "why not mention mowing yards in the summer when you were 10?!" And don't get petty on the coursework either. If you don't like the brief relevant work experience, just have a relevant work and coursework section, or somesuch. I think that's what I did.

In my experience they're gonna look at your degree, maybe raise an eyebrow at your school if it's super prestigious, note the GPA, and see your internship and be like "oh sweet" and call you for an interview, where you may then sink or swim

BlochWave on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Only put things that a relevant. Period.

There must be some way you can reference particular projects to present them in place of a job. I have in several versions of my resume;
    Directed four shows and one performance group, Stage Managed seven shows and three performance groups; generated rehearsal schedules, organized and maintained director's and actors notes and concerns, secured performance rights, sold tickets
    Thats for my theatre degree.
    It certainly isn't false, but its written to sound bigger than it might have been. Thats really the key I think in taking the arts and putting it on a resume, to really make sure the person reading your resume knows the work that was required.

In another resume I break up my management duties of the touring group (I was in the group and we only performed out of our home town twice, but it was was FL to NY and Chicago) into its own section. I sure as fuck don't give that detail.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The best thing you can do in an entry level resume is list your proficiencies, and only list non-relevant work experience if it somehow implies a sense of responsibility uncommon to the average college student. So if you did anything at the Gap like handle deposit paperwork, manage shifts, etc, make sure to specify that.

If all you did was occupy space and smile, all you're doing is wasting ink.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well unfortunately I don't know much about the specifics of your field, but that sounds good.
    Many of my courses are pretty self-explanatory (i.e. Color Theory, Figure Drawing) but I've made sure to mention the software that was used in the 3D classes, as well as mention the software in my list of skills.

YES, exactly. If you used photoshop for a class, that'll probably flag their attention. Or whatever else is commonly used in the industry. Think of poor Tommy McPooface who has a GPA 0.2 better than you and used PS all the time but doesn't mention it on his resume to a company that uses it a lot. Even just exposure to the software gets you put on top of him.

And yah, they don't use a resume for a background check. They're not gonna be like "oh man you didn't list a job for this period, were you slinging crack?"

Funny story: Our boss occasionally asks our opinions on resumes. Guy fresh outta college applying for an engineering job, 2 page resume including winners like proficient in FREAKING INCAN AND MAYAN HIEROGLYPHICS (holy crap I spelled it right first try!). He ends the sentence with a glyph

People do stupid things on resumes, just don't and you already beat that crowd! The guy should've known our business is primarily with Aztecs!

But seriously, why not mention that you can juggle and ride a bike with no hands if you're gonna do things like that? If you're an interesting person be interesting in the interview. The resume's purpose is to not disqualify you from an interview

BlochWave on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The best thing you can do in an entry level resume is list your proficiencies, and only list non-relevant work experience if it somehow implies a sense of responsibility uncommon to the average college student. So if you did anything at the Gap like handle deposit paperwork, manage shifts, etc, make sure to specify that.

If all you did was occupy space and smile, all you're doing is wasting ink.

That makes sense. Thanks! :)

I'd imagine most retail jobs don't make the cut, then. My beadshop job had 2000-3000 products I had to keep stocked, and while I suppose that could be "impressive" if I was the only person doing it, the entire job was easy enough for an upperclassman highschooler to do.
    Only put things that a relevant. Period.

Thats for my theatre degree.
    It certainly isn't false, but its written to sound bigger than it might have been. Thats really the key I think in taking the arts and putting it on a resume, to really make sure the person reading your resume knows the work that was required.

So it wouldn't hurt me to cut out my other two jobs, and just have my computer lab and internship listed? I don't want them to think I didn't have an "official" job since 2005/6. Especially during my year off between that job and starting school again - though I really doubt they'd look that deeply into my year off.

Managing 3000 items seems like a lot and it shows that someone trusted you enough o do that. They don't know a monkey could do it. Some body trusted you enough to have you manage their entire inventory. Thats a good thing. I have something similar to that when I worked retail jewelery.
    It will only hurt to cut them out if they made you sound awesome. If you come up short with things, really reach deep and see what you can pull up. Be sure to use formatting style to your advantage so that the page isn't crowded nor empty.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sometime around this upcoming winter and spring, I'll be sending out hella resumes to game companies. I'm aiming for art-related things (concept artist/character artist/prop artist/2D artist/texture artist, or whathaveyou). Of course, they like to know of relevant work experience.

I was told that if I didn't have any relevant work experience, a good substitution would be to list relevant courses I've taken. I was told that that was fine for a resume for an internship, and is it alright for an entry-level job, as well?

I'll be going through a quasi-internship through my school this fall with a game company. It's like a class/internship, and apparently we can list this as an internship on our resumes.

My main question is...I have three previous jobs on my resume right now (Computer Lab/Software Assistant at my previous university, Clothing Lackey at the Gap, and a general "employee" and jewelry-maker for a local bead shop). I don't have room for - and would rather not - add the internship as the 4th entry in that section. It will be the only relevant experience. So should I only have that in the "relevant work experience" section? Should I remove another job and add the internship in, so I can keep the entries there at "3"?

I don't want them to think I've never had a job beforehand (if I remove all my irrelevant jobs), but I don't want to clutter my resume by having all four. Honestly, my time at the Gap is the least relevant, I think, and even though I worked there longer than any other place, I think I could cut it. At least with the other two jobs there was some creativity and computer/software handlin'.

Any thoughts?

A resume's experience section does two things: it shows you have skills and experience necessary to do the job, and it shows you are responsible enough to have a job and do it well. I might take off the clothing lackey position and keep the other two, and then add the internship. Being able to work in a computer lab and work in a bead-shop aren't skills relevant, but it shows you worked in some related fields and were able to show up on time and do your job. I'd think that game companies otherwise would be concerned about your portfolio in terms of measuring talent, anyway.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on