As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAR On] Galactic Arms Race : WW Lazerz

BrianBrian Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
From Slashdot -

"Just as interest in user-generated content in video games is heating up, a team of researchers at the University of Central Florida has released an experimental multiplayer game in which content items compete with each other in an evolutionary arms race to satisfy the players. As a result, particle system-based weapons, which are the evolving class of content, continually invent their own new behaviors based on what users liked in the past. Does the resulting experience in this game, called Galactic Arms Race, suggest that evolutionary algorithms may be the key to automated content generation in future multiplayer gaming and MMOs?"

Link:GAR Website and download

From the website -

"For an idea of what the game is like, think "Space Diablo", with real-time combat, cool particle system weapons, and RPG-style leveling and skill trees."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiBOk6ar1mg

Ok so I just recently saw this game and became intrigued. Not to mention online play. Looks sort of like Galaga went to a rave.

Discuss.

Brian on

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wonder how fast these weapons evolve, I'm downloading it now to try it out.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    killa283killa283 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also downloading, looks amazing.

Finished downloading!

AI making weapons?
    Getting pretty close to robots making robots.

killa283 on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When will we see:

"WANG Gun, invented by GAR" ?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll give this a try later tonight.

Sounds interesting.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A lot of these seem like the same weapon shooting in a different pattern. Some of them also looked minimally useful.

Not that impressed really.

I guess I'd have to see more.
    Maybe I'm not appreciating the underlying meaning of an AI developing it's own weapons. That's cool I guess... I just want to see more than the same ball of energy flying around in a different color and pattern.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They're particle weapons. It's not going to do anything that a particle can't.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I suppose.

It's really just the same weapon firing in different patterns and shapes.

It's pretty cool as a school project. Good on these guys for accomplishing this, but it's not groundbreaking.

If it was more like generation of weapons based on some conditions, like a longer range, lower power beam weapon for use against a short range, high powered projectile used by an armored cruiser as a reaction to what the AI was facing, that would really be something.

If there is more to this game, they really didn't show it.
    I should probably try a demo or something because I'm probably not giving the game a fair shake based on the video.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well... that's why this is cool. This basic idea could eventually be grown into something normal games use.

I want to see statistics on how user preferences have influenced what the AI is generating.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I hope it does! It's a great start.

I don't mean to bash the game, I think it's a really good idea. I'm just not taken with it from an entertainment aspect in its current state.

Endomatic on