As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow Complex: The last liberal is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace. (new OP)

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why doesn't it have good online co-op? That's what I'd like to know. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm buying this Wednesday, but I'm going to have 800 points left over. What other game should I get? I was thinking about either Duke Nukem 3D or Splosion Man.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    I'm buying this Wednesday, but I'm going to have 800 points left over. What other game should I get? I was thinking about either Duke Nukem 3D or Splosion Man.

What XBLA games do you already have? N+ is a lot of fun

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    OremLK wrote: »

The only one I have is Castle Crashers.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Oh man you are in for a treat. Geometry Wars 2 is great also. There are tons of great games on XBLA you could get though.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Oh man you are in for a treat. Geometry Wars 2 is great also. There are tons of great games on XBLA you could get though.

Yea, I was looking around and I completely forgot about Bionic Commando: Rearmed. Decisons, decisions

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yea, I was looking around and I completely forgot about Bionic Commando: Rearmed. Decisons, decisions

Remember, every XBLA game has a demo version available.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Also, don't forget Rez.

And if you want a game similar to what this thread is about, there's also Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A little over 20 hours to go.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh god I'm so excited

I had plans for tomorrow but they fell through so I'm just gonna play it all day

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When do new games go up? I'm assuming it's not something cool and awesome like "midnight", huh.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always check at 3 AM EST, but everyone in Redmond is a procrastinating asshole. Oftentimes it's 4 or 5 AM before shit's up.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When do new games go up? I'm assuming it's not something cool and awesome like "midnight", huh.

I'm of the understanding that it's usually 2AM West Coast.

area on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay, keep the pitchforks sheathed, but the first non-fellating review came in from 1up's Jeremy Parish, giving the game a B grade overall. His overall take is that it's a great game, but never separates itself from its obvious Super Metroid trappings and offers too little that's truly unique:
    Does this single new idea [the combat] make Shadow Complex worth playing? Well, no, not on its own. But, the fact that this single new idea is draped across a shape that looks suspiciously like one of the greatest games of all time... well, that's pretty nice. Shadow Complex earns its name: It never quite steps out of the long shadow cast by the games it cribs from, and you'll definitely find yourself making unflattering comparisons to Nintendo's original work. The game world may be huge, but it's also unwieldy and discourages hunting for alternate paths; you fight the same five foes through the entire adventure; of all the Metroid elements to draw on they decided to copy the stupid key hunt from Metroid Prime.

But the game has enough redeeming moments -- like the insane final battle and the unexpected, delicate piano music that follows a one-time event that causes the indirect slaughter of dozens of enemies -- to demonstrate that beneath Shadow Complex's copy-and-paste design are some fresh new ideas waiting to bubble forth. With luck, we'll see them explored someday in a work that more effectively establishes its own identity. For now, though, Shadow Complex is a nice (if in no way surprising) diversion for Metroid fans.

If we're really lucky, it'll light the fire of competition under Nintendo and Team Ninja's feet to inspire them to make the next real Metroid game even better. Hey, no one ever said inspiration can't work both ways.

I'm kind of surprised he's the only one so far who's taken this stance—I was expecting more people claiming it to be nothing more than an uprezzed port of Super Metroid. Parish is a retro man through and through, and I personally take all of his non-JRPG reviews with a grain of salt.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

The real question is, why don't you already have Splosion Man? It is awesome and everyone should buy it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jawsome 800 point XBLA games:

- Geo Wars 2
    - Pac-Man CE
    - Rez HD
    - Splosion Man
    - Bionic Commando Rearmed
    - Ikaruga
    - Worms 2 Armageddon
    - Secret of Monkey Island SE
    - The Dishwasher

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Okay, keep the pitchforks sheathed, but the first non-fellating review came in from 1up's Jeremy Parish, giving the game a B grade overall. His overall take is that it's a great game, but never separates itself from its obvious Super Metroid trappings and offers too little that's truly unique:
    Does this single new idea [the combat] make Shadow Complex worth playing? Well, no, not on its own. But, the fact that this single new idea is draped across a shape that looks suspiciously like one of the greatest games of all time... well, that's pretty nice. Shadow Complex earns its name: It never quite steps out of the long shadow cast by the games it cribs from, and you'll definitely find yourself making unflattering comparisons to Nintendo's original work. The game world may be huge, but it's also unwieldy and discourages hunting for alternate paths; you fight the same five foes through the entire adventure; of all the Metroid elements to draw on they decided to copy the stupid key hunt from Metroid Prime.

But the game has enough redeeming moments -- like the insane final battle and the unexpected, delicate piano music that follows a one-time event that causes the indirect slaughter of dozens of enemies -- to demonstrate that beneath Shadow Complex's copy-and-paste design are some fresh new ideas waiting to bubble forth. With luck, we'll see them explored someday in a work that more effectively establishes its own identity. For now, though, Shadow Complex is a nice (if in no way surprising) diversion for Metroid fans.

If we're really lucky, it'll light the fire of competition under Nintendo and Team Ninja's feet to inspire them to make the next real Metroid game even better. Hey, no one ever said inspiration can't work both ways.

I'm kind of surprised he's the only one so far who's taken this stance—I was expecting more people claiming it to be nothing more than an uprezzed port of Super Metroid. Parish is a retro man through and through, and I personally take all of his non-JRPG reviews with a grain of salt.

Eh, considering how rarely we get something like this, I'd actually be happy with something that feels a lot like Super Metroid.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey. The world needs more 2D Metroid.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Hey. The world needs more 2D.

Fixed.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jawsome 800 point XBLA games:

- Geo Wars 2
    - Pac-Man CE
    - Rez HD
    - Splosion Man
    - Bionic Commando Rearmed
    - Ikaruga
    - Worms 2 Armageddon
    - Secret of Monkey Island SE
    - The Dishwasher

If you hate yourself, or you happen to be fucking awesome as hell, then sure get Ikaruga.

I'm bitter, because I wasted 10 bucks for something that I'll never ever be able to even get half way through, even on easy.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Eh, considering how rarely we get something like this, I'd actually be happy with something that feels a lot like Super Metroid.

Yeah, what he considers negatives I take as pretty strong positives. "Molded too close to the golden rule of Super Metroid" is the kind of problem I want to see more often. Parish is the kind of guy who would say, "If I wanted Super Metroid, I would just play Super Metroid," but there's nothing wrong with a modern take on the classic recipe (see Castle Crashers).
    Septus wrote:
    If you hate yourself, or you happen to be fucking awesome as hell, then sure get Ikaruga.

I'm bitter, because I wasted 10 bucks for something that I'll never ever be able to even get half way through, even on easy.

The only solution is to become more awesome. 8-) If you haven't already, swallow your pride and turn continues on—it makes things a lot easier to manage, and you'll unlock more credits over time. There's no way I could 1cc the thing; in my best GC days, I managed to three-credit it, but I was just happy I beat the game before unlocking infinite credits!

Lunker on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Hey. The world needs more 2D Metroid.

I actually hope this sells like crazy and makes Nintendo go "hrm... maybe we were stupid to not make a 2D Metroid title for this long. Hey, Team Ninja! Play this game before you go back to work!"

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think I'm going to get so drunk at work that I pass out and wake up tomorrow with Shadow Complex downloaded, ready for me to cup its balls.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

I really don't see anything wrong with his review.

That's pretty much how I feel about most of the Metrovania games. Symphony of the Night and Tomba are good, but there aren't many games in that "genre" and every new Castlevania game seems to focus on the item collection aspect instead of making any real progress.

As long as it's fun, fine. Super Metroid is a 10. I'm not gonna be heart broken if a newer game doesn't quite live up to it's inspiration.

As long as it's fun. Which it definitely seems to be. So that's fine by me.
    Yeah, what he considers negatives I take as pretty strong positives. "Molded too close to the golden rule of Super Metroid" is the kind of problem I want to see more often. Parish is the kind of guy who would say, "If I wanted Super Metroid, I would just play Super Metroid," but there's nothing wrong with a modern take on the classic recipe (see Castle Crashers).

But Castle Crashers kinda refines that Beat em Up gameplay. Good balance between new and old.

The only main gripe I have with CC is the very iffy hit box.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Septus wrote:

The only solution is to become more awesome. 8-) If you haven't already, swallow your pride and turn continues on—it makes things a lot easier to manage, and you'll unlock more credits over time. There's no way I could 1cc the thing; in my best GC days, I managed to three-credit it, but I was just happy I beat the game before unlocking infinite credits!

Playing Touhou Project makes you better at Ikaruga, and all shumps in general. After shredding Impershiable Night and Mountain of Faith, suddenly I could beat Boss 1 in Ikaruga in just a few seconds (by staying as the opposite color the entire time.)

Also, Cho Ren Sha is a dollar indie game <3

Cantido on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I didn't like Super Metroid, it had no direction and I never knew what I was doing. I just beat the inverted castle on SotN for the first time though, and that was a pretty awesome game.

Edit: I'm worried about the fighting the same five foes throughout the whole game thing though. What I liked about SotN was that there was always something new around each corner.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    rayofash wrote: »
    I didn't like Super Metroid.

I had to quote that to make sure that's what you really intended to type, and there was no hidden code screwing up your post...

I suppose to your defense that Nintendo was quite notorious for limited narrative. Actually, the game has no narrative between the prologue and epilogue. I don't mind having to make progress based solely on context, though. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment when I finally make it to the next area without being told what to do, how to get there, and what I need to do it.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »

I had to quote that to make sure that's what you really intended to type, and there was no hidden code screwing up your post...

I suppose to your defense that Nintendo was quite notorious for limited narrative. Actually, the game has no narrative between the prologue and epilogue. I don't mind having to make progress based solely on context, though. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment when I finally make it to the next area without being told what to do, how to get there, and what I need to do it.

Well, that and it just felt so empty. I'd probably enjoy a remake though.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The first time I played it, the music annoyed me because it did feel empty, but I was deeply involved with games like Street Fighter II and Final Fantasy. When I played Metroid Prime, the music was basically the same, but for some reason, it felt euphoric in a 3D environment. After playing Super Metroid again, I was able to appreciate it.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, 1UP has always been a piece of shit publication with incoherent masturbatory reviews anyway. But that's not exactly a negative score.

OremLK on
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I love the empty, lonely feeling of it. It's what I imagine space exploration to be sort of like. If they do ever make a movie, I vote for zero dialogue.

But as for Shadow Complex, can't wait, in fact bought a 360 just to play it. (then I heard it was coming out on pc :?)

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Well, that and it just felt so empty.

I think that's part of the reason I loved the game, and it's still my favorite game of all time, hands-down, no contest. Because I played it when it first came out, alone in my basement, before gamefaqs. You're given an objective and a starting point, and you're on your own, space cowgirl.

Shadow Complex is a guaranteed purchase for me. I'm not even doing the demo thing. I've only every played one bad metroidvania, and that was an indie game called Eternal Daughter.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »

Well, that and it just felt so empty.

I think that's part of the reason I loved the game, and it's still my favorite game of all time, hands-down, no contest. Because I played it when it first came out, alone in my basement, before gamefaqs. You're given an objective and a starting point, and you're on your own, space cowgirl.

Shadow Complex is a guaranteed purchase for me. I'm not even doing the demo thing. I've only every played one bad metroidvania, and that was an indie game called Eternal Daughter.

Really? That game gave me the creeps as a kid. That and I was permanently lost. I finished it later and oh, was it satisfying.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's just too damn hard (we're talking about Eternal Daugher, right?). It has the huge open world of Super Metroid, but you don't want to venture into any of the places you can go because it takes three hits to kill you if you're lucky.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This will be the first game I buy without checking out the demo first. Gimme gimme.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This will be the first game I buy without checking out the demo first. Gimme gimme.

Rhapsody on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got something right here that will make the short wait much longer

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-shadow-complex/17-1156/

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »

HAH! Blocked by government web filter. You're not getting me with that!

Morvidus on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Uuuugh. Oh man. That looks great.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »