As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadow Complex: The last liberal is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace. (new OP)

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    But, there is no door that I can see. I can reenter the place but the elevator is blocked off by rubble, so there is no going back in.

Outside, I had to use a crawl space to get to it, and yea, it's right near that bridge/super jump area. I can't find an out of it though. I've grenaded/missiled/gunned the whole area, and even tethered to every available surface. Don't know why I can't seem to do this. Argh!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Proving Grounds- The one with the barrels and the laser walls and conveyor belts (next to last one I think), how do I beat it?

SkutSkut on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I recall getting stuck in the same area.

There isn't a door on the top left? When you originally got into that area you had to do a speed jump over the gap that is that little "hanger" area. I think the draw bridge is actually ABOVE that door, so you should be able to get out.

That's if you're in the little "hanger" area. When you set the explosion and then jump up the elevator shaft... doesn't it lead you back outside?

Not sure. Haven't played in a few months. If you get a sec, take a picture or something, if possible, of where you are, or try to pin point it on a map or something and hopefully someone else can lend a hand!

Sheep on
    edited January 2010
    I'll try to get a picture of the area. Yea, the explosion happend, I jumped up the elevator shaft, and went outside.

It's right outside that I can't seem to figure out how to leave.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited January 2010
    How'd it go?

Sheep on
    edited January 2010
    Still stuck.

I'm thinking I am going to have to restart...so yea. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, this has to be the best $15 I've dropped since... I think I paid about the same for my Super Metroid cart.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    edited January 2010
    It's a great game....but Super Metroid is still far superior.

Especially considering that no matter how much I like Shadow Complex, the story makes no friggin sense. You never really know who the badguys are, in fact, I was half expecting that you ran through this place, shooting people, blowing things up, just to find out it's an american government facility. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Especially considering that no matter how much I like Shadow Complex, the story makes no friggin sense. You never really know who the badguys are, in fact, I was half expecting that you ran through this place, shooting people, blowing things up, just to find out it's an american government facility. :P

Turns out you're no hero, you're just a domestic terrorist asshole.

No, it's not as good as Super Metroid, but in my opinion it's better than any of the Castlevania's. They never did click with me for some reason. Just saying though, I would've paid way more than $15 for this gem.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    edited January 2010
    pardzh wrote: »

Turns out you're no hero, you're just a domestic terrorist asshole.

No, it's not as good as Super Metroid, but in my opinion it's better than any of the Castlevania's. They never did click with me for some reason. Just saying though, I would've paid way more than $15 for this gem.

I'll agree with you there. To be fair though, I've never been much of a Castlevania fan, so SC is much better than any Castlevania as far as I'm concerned.

But Samus on the other hand....she has my heart on a string. The Metroid games are some of my favorite gaming experiences ever. If not for Super Metroid paving the way, games like the later Castlevanias and Shadow Complex wouldn't exist.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll agree that the game was way better than any of the DS Castevania games by far.

But Symphony of the Night took the Super Metroid archetype to a whole 'nother level, and for me at least will be the bar by which the genre is now measured.

DietarySupplement on
    edited January 2010
    Funny enough, I never cared for SotN. It was fun, but not the best.

Heck, I think some of the follow ups did things much better than SotN did.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know if I can sincerely evaluate a modern game like Shadow Complex against a nostalgia-encased game like Super Metroid; it's not that SM isn't worthy of the adoration, it's just that the game is so entrenched in my memory that I can't fairly compare against it. :P

That said, Shadow Complex reminded me how much I love the 2-D Metroidvania formula. I could never get into the Prime series as much; good games, but I ended up getting lost a lot and just didn't enjoy navigating the environment as much as I did in 2-D. I also loved Fusion, SOTN and Order of Ecclesia. And I do like how the Castlevanias and Shadow Complex add even more explicitly RPG-ish mechanics, like stats and levels; it's the steady progression and pacing that kept me going back to Shadow Complex over and over again until I hit level 50.

I ended up making Shadow Complex my GOTY in the other thread, which didn't really surprise me all that much. It's a testament to how far digital distribution has come on gaming systems, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As weird as it sounds, I really feel like Super Metroid had me caring about the story more, or at the very least, that baby metroid. I still don't understand how a game with such minimal dialogue gave me such an emotional impact.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited January 2010
    Kor wrote: »
    As weird as it sounds, I really feel like Super Metroid had me caring about the story more, or at the very least, that baby metroid. I still don't understand how a game with such minimal dialogue gave me such an emotional impact.

Not weird at all—I totally agree. It's a textbook example of "show, don't tell."

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited January 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

Not weird at all—I totally agree. It's a textbook example of "show, don't tell."

It was especially powerful emotionally if you had worked through and beaten Metroid 2, which I had.

I actually cried when the baby metroid sacrificed itself to save Samus. And it especially pains me that I'll have to live through it again since it seems like that scene will play a role in Metroid: Other M. :(

Super Metroid to this day is one of my favorite games ever made, and I probably play through it at least once a year.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got stuck in this game several months ago and dropped it, right at the end. Last night I picked it up and figured out exactly what to do in no time, so I beat the game.

Overall I liked it. I was ready to "keep going" and keep leveling for 100% but I'm not exactly sure how that mechanic works in this game. I guess there is no New Game+? I hit new game and it said everything would be erased. I kind of expected that I'd be able to start a new game with everything I already had but instead I'm back to square one. I don't mind playing through it again (appears I got no choice, anyway). But next time I beat it, how do I "keep going"?

Ohio on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's odd, because most of Super Metroid, you don't think much of the baby until that one room where it latches on to eat you, leaving you at 1 health, and then it starts that cute little cooing noise it makes.

Unless of course you played Metroid II, then you had an attachment to the thing from the beginning.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited January 2010
    It's odd, because most of Super Metroid, you don't think much of the baby until that one room where it latches on to eat you, leaving you at 1 health, and then it starts that cute little cooing noise it makes.

Unless of course you played Metroid II, then you had an attachment to the thing from the beginning.

This was why the ending to Super Metroid hit me so powerfully when I was younger.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ohio wrote: »
    I got stuck in this game several months ago and dropped it, right at the end. Last night I picked it up and figured out exactly what to do in no time, so I beat the game.

Overall I liked it. I was ready to "keep going" and keep leveling for 100% but I'm not exactly sure how that mechanic works in this game. I guess there is no New Game+? I hit new game and it said everything would be erased. I kind of expected that I'd be able to start a new game with everything I already had but instead I'm back to square one. I don't mind playing through it again (appears I got no choice, anyway). But next time I beat it, how do I "keep going"?

New Game+ only lets you keep your current level and whether you have opened the room full of golden guns.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    New Game+ only lets you keep your current level and whether you have opened the room full of golden guns.

Oh. There's a room full of golden guns. ...I must have just missed that.

Ohio on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ohio wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »

Oh. There's a room full of golden guns. ...I must have just missed that.

It's what the gold bars are for. Collect them all, get the golden guns at the start.

They are a necessity if you're trying to do a minimalist run.

Hedgethorn on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This game is still great. Everyone played the hell out of it at first and it died off kinda quickly.

I hope the "Downloadable Content" part of the menu comes into effect one day.

Hawk on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hawk wrote: »
    This game is still great. Everyone played the hell out of it at first and it died off kinda quickly.

I just hope it isn't more challanges.

Side-quests, new areas, or new items would be better.

DietarySupplement on
    edited January 2010

I'd completely forgotten about that. I wouldn't mind more missions along the lines of the last challenge, the one that acts like a bite-sized single-player campaign. Has Chair been up to anything recently?

Lunker on
    edited January 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

I'd completely forgotten about that. I wouldn't mind more missions along the lines of the last challenge, the one that acts like a bite-sized single-player campaign. Has Chair been up to anything recently?

Yeah they're raking in the money :P

Hawk on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just tried the Matt Hazzrad demo. Wow does it want to be Shadow Complex. The first few seconds of play are identical. You can shoot in the background and everything. Then the gameplay shows itself. Ew.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited January 2010
    Yeah but it doesn't use the right stick to aim.

I quickly quit and deleted that demo. I have standards now.

Hawk on
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This game reminds me of Metal Gear and Die Hard. Is this insane?

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
    edited January 2010
    That fits, yes. Nice one.

Sheep on
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just wish Jason would say "Ho ho ho, I have a machine gun too!"

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just finished Hidden Empire (sequel to empire, and in the same world as Shadow Complex) if they want to do a similar game: it might be (book spoilers behind tags)
    a secret facility in Africa, run by the mastermind behind the place from the first game. He's not producing huge robots though- now it's just boring EMP guns.
    Frankly, I don't know if they can take anything from the books for a sequel. After reading the Acknowledgments at the end, Card mentioned that CHAIR gave him free reign except they wanted a red-state blue-state civil war and the main character
    should die half way through
    . Sadly, I'm guessing Chair was hoping the Civil War would be much bigger than Card made it- because there isn't a lot they could draw out for more games from that. Card made the civil war a footnote to a bigger thing.
    Anyhow- if they drop this IP, I still have hope Chair will find another reason for future IPs to have this gameplay!

Sharp10r on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is Nolan North the only available VA for games now?

Played the Dark Void demo last night, guess who voices the main character?

I mean, I like him and all, but it seems that every game now stars Nathan Drake.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I mean, I like him and all, but it seems that every game now stars Nathan Drake.

1) This is awesome
    2) Is there really no way to reset your level meter? I want to start over at level 1. I deleted my save game and that didn't work

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

1) This is awesome
    2) Is there really no way to reset your level meter? I want to start over at level 1. I deleted my save game and that didn't work

Maybe by deleting the save game and the actual game, then redownloading the game? That should work, in theory at least.

Lunker on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This was why the ending to Super Metroid hit me so powerfully when I was younger.

I remember it was the first really cool game I had for my gameboy...I was damn proud when I beat Metroid 2...only to geek out when Super Metroid picked up right afterwards. Trust me, I was PISSED when 'my' baby Metroid sacrificed himself in the end. Mama Kill!

That said, I'm seriously considering giving this game a try. Still not happy with the Orson Scott Card link, but the Peter David link is slightly better. Ugh. So many conflicting priorites.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That said, I'm seriously considering giving this game a try. Still not happy with the Orson Scott Card link, but the Peter David link is slightly better. Ugh. So many conflicting priorites.

I picked this up during the sale and played and loved it. I would have had have had no idea there was even any potential controversy if I hadn't read it here. Seriously, you'd be doing yourself a massive disservice if you miss out on this excellent game because someone you disagree with is tangentially related to the barely existant plot.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Seriously, you'd be doing yourself a massive disservice if you miss out on this excellent game because someone you disagree with is tangentially related to the barely existant plot.

I'm beginning to agree with you. Effort this good needs to be rewarded. I think the controversy they felt because of it will cause the company pause in the future. Or not, gaming and politics shouldn't get mixed together anyway.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited January 2010
    Well, I found out why I got stuck before. Appearantly, I missed lowering the drawbridge, and somehow, a glitch allowed me to get on the other side of the bridge THROUGH the wall, so I beat that section and got the new gun, but afterward, I couldn't get back out to the other side of the bridge.

Oh well, I just 100% the game my second playthrough, and now I have access to golden guns, and my minimal playthrough shall be started tonight. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited January 2010
    Ah. Do you have infinite foam? That gets me out of situations like that.

Sheep on