As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have a cold and it's made me fucking dumb

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
...and what needs to be assassinated is my cold. As of right now, I have a very scratchy throat and nasty cough. Im extremely tired and will probably head off to bed in a bit, but today I had 1 Airbourne pill thingy which is way over 1,000% Vitamin C and I have drank lots of water. Before I go to bed, I will probably scarf down half a pomegranite too so as far as I know, I am doing everything I can to help fight my cold. But what else can I do tomorrow to ensure I get over this SOB as quick as possible because I simply cannot function when I have a cold. I ran out of Airbourne pills and have only a single bottle of water left. Any tips? Dayquil? A few oranges?

Thanks in advance!

pheezer EDIT:
Next person who makes a completely inaccurate thread title to get attention takes a short vacation to contemplate the myriad reasons why this is a stupid thing to do.

Lucky Cynic on

• Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Lemon, honey, and whiskey will rid ye of ye throatte agitation

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zinc. It's the only thing which has been scientifically proven to reduce the duration of a cold. Airborne and Vitamin C are voodoo. You may as well be taking sugar pills.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    IloroKamouIloroKamou Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Zinc. It's the only thing which has been scientifically proven to reduce the duration of a cold. Airborne and Vitamin C are voodoo. You may as well be taking sugar pills.

/shrug

Placebo effect is real, so...Long as he believed those sugar pills were actually doing something, it would still be marginally better than nothing. I've found a regiment of lots of Nyquil, fluids, and sleeeeeep to be much better than just waiting it out.

IloroKamou on
    "There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
  • Options
    ddahcmaiddahcmai Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Like what Thanatos said, zinc is an excellent way to relieve sore throat/cold. Cold-Eeze cough drops are by far the best I have ever used. Pick some up, just be sure to follow the directions on how many to take. Coating your entire digestive system with zinc can't be healthy. Even so, I can't really recommend these strong enough, you can actually feel a difference when you use them.

ddahcmai on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    what my problem is is i have a canckre (sp?) sore like thing on my right tonsil and its been there for like three weeks now..

also i have another cancre sore on my left lower gums and its so irritated it has swollen somewhat and ive never had one do that before

is this something serious?

tugga on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Try to get alot of sleep... like weekend amounts if at possible. Drink a redonkulous amount of water, I think it helps with the cold and it soothes the throat as well.

If it gets really bad, cepacol lozenges are excellent. They numb that throat right up.

If you want to enjoy some good old fashioned pain, drink something acidic (citrus juice) while your throat is sore. Hurts like a mofo.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've found that if you take a q-tip and scrape the gunk off of your throat, it helps a bit.

It hurts like a knife, but it seems to help.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    that sounds like ultra pain.. ill try that after chugging some sunny-D

tugga on
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Asprin for the throat, nose spray for the blocked nose. There's this really great tablet that breaks up mucus and makes it all runny. I don't know what it's called but ask your chemist. Just don't let them sell you that fucking cough medicine, it's rubbish.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You don't need bottles of water unless you live in some kind of third world country, tap water will do fine. You are going to want to knock back at least 3 liters of water a day.

Also diet is one of the biggest reasons you'll get sick so try and eat healthy as well.

Blake T on
  • Options
    TalousTalous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I find that taking airborne for some reason really helps me feel better; for me, after drinking that shit I hack up a bunch of bile. So I recommend it.

Talous on
    Glampgrotz - Black Orc - Ulthuan TSM
    SS13 Rules Post
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have a horrible sore throat right now. When I woke up today, it felt like I swallowed a cup full of shattered glass.

The only thing I've found that helps alleviate a bad sore throat is this:

yhst-79246182436118_1925_405834387

I believe it's the only "extra strength" type of Halls. Light blue package and the flavor is "Ice Blue." It actually has a slight anasthetic affect and if you take ten in a row you won't be able to taste anything as it temporarily dulls your taste buds. It's really, really good though. Let it trickle down your throat.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    stixs4321stixs4321 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Whatever you do right now outside of sleeping and not over exerting yourself will not do much. Eat as healthy as you want but it doesn't help much from my own personal experiences when you already got a cold. Eating healthy before the fact however will stop a cold from happening and lessen its severity if it gets through. For the throat try not talking too much.

stixs4321 on
  • Options
    curbycurby Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Seriously, fuck everyone else's adivce. I have the solution. Go and buy 1000mg tablets of vitamin C (NO time release). Take 2 every hour for 3 hours. Cold gone.

Oh, and you might want to gradually decrease your doses over the course of a few days before you stop taking it, so you don't get a rebound effect.

Vitamin C is not "voodoo" or "placebo" if taken in megadoses.

And "one Airbourne pill thingy" doesn't count as a megadose.

curby on
    linktous.gif
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    curby wrote:
    Seriously, fuck everyone else's adivce. I have the solution. Go and buy 1000mg tablets of vitamin C (NO time release). Take 2 every hour for 3 hours. Cold gone.

Oh, and you might want to gradually decrease your doses over the course of a few days before you stop taking it, so you don't get a rebound effect.

Vitamin C is not "voodoo" or "placebo" if taken in megadoses.

And "one Airbourne pill thingy" doesn't count as a megadose.
    I don't care how big of a dose you're taking: Vitamin C as a cure for the common cold is total voodoo. Vitamin C acts as a slight antihistamine, but the only way it shortens the cold is if you take it in megadoses, and then it doesn't really shorten it by a significant amount (8%, which, if you've got a cold that lasts 2 weeks, is 1 day). once you've got a cold, it doesn't really help you; you're better off taking Sudafed. This is scientific fact.

Thanatos on