As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I saw a mudcrab crying "Vengeance!", you N'Wah!

MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNBREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Social Entropy++
I would have fit an Arena reference in there but that's probably too much. If you didn't get that from the OP, this thread is about the Elder Scrolls series!

What are the Elder Scrolls games?

They are a series of fantasy roleplaying games made by Bethesda Softworks. They share traits in that all of them are played in first-person perspective, have a huge variety of choices for your character, and typically each one has numerous bugs and annoyances unique to the release.

What are the games in this series?

Es1Arena.jpg

ArenaScreen1.png
ArenaScreen2.jpg
ArenaScreen3.jpg
ArenaScreen4.jpg

The plot of this one is really simple. The Emperor is kidnapped and you need to save him. After you escape from prison. Are you a bad enough adventurer to fail saving the Emperor?

Oh, and this game is free now, thanks to Bethesda. You still need to set it up in DOSBox, and I believe it's just the floppy version (the CD-Rom version had extra speech/rendered cutscenes), but you still can't argue with free. Well you probably can, if you a bitch.

Es2Daggerfall.jpg

DaggerFallScree3.png
DaggerfallScreen1.jpg
DaggerfallScreen2.jpg
DaggerFallScreen4.png

Oh my, this game is enormous. Seriously it's fucking huge, and there's tons of shit to do. You can become a werewolf or a vampire or you can join a fuckload of guilds, go on randomly generated quests, get lost in the fucking enormous and confusing dungeons that the game has all over the goddamn place... Or you can follow the storyline which has something to do with finding out why the king of some place is angry enough that he died that he came back as an undead spirit who likes to murder the hell out of dudes. It's also buggy as shit, and you'd probably do well to find some of the fanmade patches.

This game is also available for free thanks to Bethesda!. It's the CD-Rom version, of course, but I think it's probably stripped down again. At the very least it's probably missing the cheesy as hell intro cutscene.

Es3Morrowind.jpg

Es3MorrowindScreen1.jpgEs3Morrowindscreen2.jpgEs3MorrowindScreen3.jpgEs3MorrowindScreen4.jpg

SEEN ANY ELVES? HAHAHAHA

Probably my favorite of the Elder Scrolls games, though that might be because it's the one I played the most. Morrowind takes place in, well, Morrowind (land of the Dark Elves), or at least an island off the coast of it called Vvardenfell. You're a prisoner who is suddenly set free and told to go to Balmora. Of course, this being an Elder Scrolls game, you don't have to, and I spent probably about fifty hours my first game screwing around, stealing shit, and then realizing I had sold one of my quest items to the first merchant you're likely to meet in the game. It's a much smaller scale game than Daggerfall or Arena, but this is a good thing since it means that the desigers placed everything themselves, designed every dungeon themselves, instead of just running a random generator program. Also, I find the main quest pretty neat even if it's all text and no voice acting. Also the setting is fucking cool, all giant mushrooms, demons and huge lombotomized silt striders that the dark elves use to get around and shit.

Some of the problems with the game are truly boring dice-based combat (you can be right next to a guy and still not hit him because your skill with the weapon you're using is too low), hideous characters, becoming extremely easy when you're at a high level, and a lack of direction in the storyline. Mods can at least fit the second and third ones, and the last one is kind of an Elder Scrolls trademark anyway.

Morrowind also got two expansions, Tribunal and Bloodmoon.

Es3Tribunal.jpg

Es3TribunalScreen1.jpgEs3TribunalScreen2.jpg

Tribunal takes place in the Morrowind capital of Mournhold - City of Light, City of Mmmmmmmmmagic! It's much tougher than Morrowind, which is nice because Morrowind was piss-easy once you got to a certain level. Mournhold is a pretty awesome looking sequel too.

Es3Bloodmoon.jpg

The second expansion, Bloodmoon, takes place on an island off the coast of Vvardenfell called Solstheim. It's a cold place, filled with lots of spooky monsters and guess what? You get to help build an Imperial colony there! Also you can become a werewolf in this one, which wasn't in vanilla Morrowind.

Es3BloodmoonScreen1.jpgEs3BloodmoonScreen2.jpg

Morrowind has numerous mods made for it, and honestly I haven't played it in so long that I don't know what's good. If someone has suggestions for it or for sites to use, let me know.

MORROWIND LIST OF MOD SITES

Telesphoros' List O' Mods

Es4Oblivion.jpg

Es4OblivionScreen1.jpgEs4OblivionScreen2.jpgEs4OblivionScreen3.jpgEs4OblivionScreen4.jpg

Ah, Oblivion. You went so far forward in improving things, but you also hit reverse so it's not like you moved very far. Oblivion is a good game, yes, but it has some serious annoyances.

The setting is so much more generic than the previous games. It takes place in the Imperial Province of Cyrodiil, but unlike in the descriptions where it's supposed to be all crazy and jungle-y, it's just Generic Fantasyland. Granted, it's a very pretty Generic Fantasyland, but it is one regardless. They also fixed the overleveling problem in Morrowind by making everything level along with you. While that's kind of cool it also removed a lot of the fun of going back to areas that kicked your ass and just steamrolling over everything. The quests, with the exception of the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild, were kind of dull and uninteresting. Still, it's a solid enough game, and the combat is far, far better than Morrowind's.

Oblivion also had an expansion - Shivering Isles.

Es4ShiveringIsles.jpg

Es4ShiveringIsles1.jpgEs4ShiveringIsles2.jpg

Shivering Isles takes place in... Well, the Shivering Isles, the realm of Sheogorath. I thought this was a fantastic expansion, personally. It had an awesome looking world, a fun main quest and lots of sidequests, and basically brought a lot of the atmosphere I missed from Morrowind back.

There are lots and lots of mods for Oblivion, so if someone could reccomend some, I will list them here. Or post links to your posts, or something.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Only a rumor, but Bethesda did register the trademark a while back, so who knows? Skyrim is the home of the Nords, and is apparently very cold. Personally I'd rather visit Orsinium or Argonia, but that's because I think it's more likely that we'd see bizarre shit in there than in what may just be Norselike Adventureland. But it may be a cool setting so I am witholding most judgement!

Moriveth on

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You made the thread!

And bringing me one step closer to reinstalling Morrowind.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    And bringing me one step closer to reinstalling Morrowind.

You know you wanna.

You fetcher.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Can the women in Elder Scrolls: Arena have skimpier clothing?

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like how the characters have there arms crossed as if the animators didn't want to make the hands

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Can the women in Elder Scrolls: Arena have skimpier clothing?

There are lots of titties in Daggerfall and Arena I think

particularly if you go into the temple of the god of love or something

just naked ladies hanging out

Moriveth on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yessss

I only got Oblivion a couple of weeks ago, having never played any of the Elder Scrolls games before.

I progressed through the story to making it to Cloud Ruler Temple. Then I overheard two citizens about how the Dark Brotherhood recruits members and I just went "... Better make a new game."

Anyway a week after that I've finished that guild and am back to working through the story.

OBLIVION GATES ARE SO BORING

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I remember playing Morrowind, and I was doing alright, up until the point I was attacked by freaking pterodactyls who I couldn't run from, or I broke my sword trying to attack them.

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I remember playing Morrowind, and I was doing alright, up until the point I was attacked by freaking pterodactyls who I couldn't run from, or I broke my sword trying to attack them.

So, like an hour in?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cliffracerswarm.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The conversations between NPCs in Oblivion are so fucking wacky

one time I witnessed a conversation between a High Elf and an Orc

High Elf: Hello!
    Orc: LEAVE ME ALONE!
    High Elf: I saw a mudcrab the other day. Nasty little creatures.
    Orc: I HATE THEM!
    High Elf: Goodbye.
    Orc: Good day!

Edit: Nooo Rolo you're going to give me fucking nightmares

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    nooooooooooooo rolooooooooooooooo

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Rolo wrote: »
    cliffracerswarm.jpg

Those were the ones

I have no idea how far I was, it was maybe 5 years ago, my brothers rented it

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What's that Skingrad? There's an Oblivion gate right outside the walls? I'll just go shut it for you...

OK job's done, quest complete now please. What?

OH THERE'S ANOTHER OBLIVION GATE? LIKE TWO HILLS AWAY FROM THE FIRST? AND INSIDE IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME?

THANKS

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It was always fun getting a trail of cliff racers after you

SCREE SCREE SCREE

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, getting the orbs out of the oblivion gates and making items out of them was kinda neat, but damn that shit got tiresome quickly.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    It was always fun getting a trail of cliff racers after you

SCREE SCREE SCREE

No matter how fast you go, they still follow.

I stacked 100% magick resist and equipped the Boots of Blinding Speed- motherfuckers were still on my tail.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I really liked the big old battle in front of one of the gates though

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You need to get big area of effect spells to kill them in swarms.

It's the only way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U31i-uBVus4&feature=related

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm kind of cheap when I play Morrowind, I'd always rush to get that one amulet that gives you 80% chameleon for three minutes or something

then I'd go to ghostgate and steal the glass armor in the shop

then I'd go to that one egg mine near the ghostgate and take the daedric dai-katana behind the kwama queen

then I'd be set

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    omg

those darts from the tribunal expansion
    they were freakin' incredible

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    These games are like Wizardry except way gayer.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morrowind is probably my favorite game ever.

Here's a good site with a bunch of useful (and even more useless) mods. I recommend "passive healthy wildlife" (makes normal, non-diseased/blighted animals less likely to attack you, and keeps cliffracers from fucking you in the ass), regionally known criminals (makes your crimes/bounties specific to the region you committed them in, but it's a little buggy), drug realism (so you can still trade with merchants while holding moon sugar or skooma, even if they won't buy it from you), any of the expanded cities mods, and any face , body and texture replacers that aren't too hideously ugly.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God. One time I was playing a low-level bow user and alchemist. I stumbled across a necromancer's lair that was way too high-level for me, but I managed to avoid the insane wizard and her summoned undead long enough to drink a potion of levitation I had made.

I floated up on top of this ledge and was able to take potshots at the necromancer while dodging her ranged spells until she dropped. I felt like I had fucking accomplished something.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Been thinking about reinstalling Oblivion and getting a bunch of mods. Stuff like FCOM, Enhanced Daedric Invasion, etc. Seems like it'd improve the game a good bit.

Wonder if there's a mod that makes the closing of the gates less tedious.

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I never really got into Morrowind, although I invested some time into Oblivion and Shivering Isles

my only memories from Morrowind were that praying thing that gave you 100 Levitate, the tree-wizard-areas, walking through some city while Eminem played in my house (??) and being killed anytime I went into a place with enemies

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My favourite part of morrowind was becoming a golden god near the end.

I refered to myself as a choo choo train, who ran around with his tiny little hammer forged by the gods

and could murder anyone and anything

and I loved seizing houses for my own personal use

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man I stole so much stuff in Oblivion.

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This isn't about the reprisal for the Munich Massacre at all.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My favourite part of morrowind was becoming a golden god near the end.

I refered to myself as a choo choo train, who ran around with his tiny little hammer forged by the gods

and could murder anyone and anything

and I loved seizing houses for my own personal use
    this

except i didn't refer to myself as a choo choo train what the hell is that
    and why is sunder so small

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stop right there, criminal scum!
    It's the hero of Kvatch!
    You're the grand champion of the arena!
    We're watching you...

Koshian wrote: »
    http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/convergence.html

FCOM is the biggest and debatably best tes iv mod there will ever be

downloading and installing it is a fairly convoluted process and will take literal hours of your time

probably not worth the effort, but it is the oblivion mod

I spent most of a day trying to install that cunt of a mod, then tried playing and it mostly worked except I kept spawning in the middle of buildings when I changed areas.

I spent way waaaay too much time on Oblivion and shivering isles. I think I had two saves with over 50 hours on them each, ugh.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I did. Twice. That was when I decided to never play oblivion again.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also I can't help laughing every time I go into Mournhold and one of the guards goes "Mournhold! City of Light! City of Mmmagic!"

I should reinstall Morrowind sometime soon, perhaps tomorrow.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Okay now I am just straight up sprinting to the sigil stones. Hooray for easy mode!

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you keep pressing E (or whatever your pick up button is) when you take them, you get multiple ones per gate.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't even think I'd have the hard drive space for Oblivion, I just remember getting side tracked by so much other stuff

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    I remember playing Morrowind for the first time and was at a fairly low level, jsut wandering, and came across some pissed off orc dude in crazy sick armor

I was an archer and did something to piss him off, so I ran and found a rock he couldn't climb and sat there shooting him in the head for like ten minutes until he died while he ran at me constantly

looted his shit and made out like a fucking bandit

oblivion is amazing if you just never warp and ignore the main quest right off the start, so the gates never open. I had a few mods that kept causing crashes, though, and ended up getting frustrated, but god what a wonderful game.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Was that Umbra you pissed off? Cause that guy was asking for it. Literally!

Also I have Oblivion on the 360. It's quite relaxing to play with the difficulty cranked down. Oblivion Gates still suck ass, though.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    coulda been

some angry fucker in the middle of nowhere

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think oblivion is the only game I've ever bought the special edition for

the dvd is worthless, but I like the coin that came with it

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png