As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I saw a mudcrab crying "Vengeance!", you N'Wah!

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i was always excited because i thought i was going to get something awesome because all these dudes are wearing daedric stuff

but no oblivion gates just have to suck all the time

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got the Special Edition of Oblivion

but I got it used in England for... 15 pounds? It was missing the coin, but I think the guide to Tamriel is pretty neat anyway.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Umbra was in oblivion too, you could get ebony armour really early in the game if you killed her (well since umbra is the spirit of the sword or whatever, I suppose it's technically a him?) and get the sword that is really good and has soulbind on hit or whatever the spell to fill up soul gems was called.

L|ama on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Spencer get back on a computer goddamnit I need to discuss some things with you on AIM and also show you Barnaby Jones

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i am on a computer

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Er...I really really liked this game for what it offered.

90641_large.jpeg

54564.jpg

100% voice acted...it was the first 'open world' game I'd ever played...I actually really loved the story, and this whole open world business was still new enough where I spent literally hours upon hours exploring this little low polygonal world.

It gets a bad rap sometimes, but I think if you remove the "Elder Scrolls" branding, it was an absolutely exceptional adventure game.

There were no RPG leveling elements, and was more story driven...but man...some of the quests were just so fun figuring out. For example:

So there's this mysterious smugglers den in town that you keep hearing about, and apparently this guy Lakeen knows the password to get in. The problem is, Lakeen likes to gamble, and this thug Rolo has his locket, and you have to get it back for him first. Upon entering Rolo's house, he "knows nothing about no locket." However, if you look carefully, he's literally sitting on a big treasure chest behind his table. He does mention that he works as a dock worker, however....Later, if you do a favor for the old man at the dock, he'll let you have his little flag that he uses to communicate down at the docks. If you actually climb up the tower at the docks and wave the flag (this is all manual--no scripted events or actions)...you hear a bell ring. The town bell apparently signifies a ship coming to port, and the old man waves his flag as an indicator. With the bell going off...who comes lumbering down the street but fat old Rolo. Poor guy thinks he has to come into work. Anyway, off to rolo's house, and the locket is yours unguarded.

Sounds convoluted in a way, but the game's fun puzzle/quest solving elements were all manual. There were no scripted events, or simply walking up to a quest object and hitting a "use" key. There is one portion of the game where you have to buy a shovel, and actually follow a treasure map (Literally: Walk 50 paces south of the statue...turn east...walk 20 paces...etc.) to find it and dig it up.

Oy, anyway. Sorry, that was nostalgia talking there. These were the days when games came with shit...and Redguard even came with a nice parchment map with burnt and frayed edges! Of course, it was a detailed map of the entire island...and these were the days where being able to fully roam an entire ISLAND (OH GOLLY!) was like a gaming wet dream. I just find this interesting because I'm not sure if I, or we, well ever fully get that sensation again. I mean, when being able to explore a lush open world was NEW new. I still had that urge to explore on into games like GTA 3, but anymore, games seem to be getting more and more detailed, with rich environments and the like...and yet, I seem to care less and less. I had more fun exploring the nooks of Stros M'Kai in Redguard than the prettiest and lushest open world games of today...sort of akin to how the little scripted parts of Half-life 1 blew me away...yet anymore, games are jam packed with little cinematic events, and I hardly even blink an eye.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh my god I used to own that game

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Still have the tarnished/frayed map that came with it?

Drew-B on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My favourite part of morrowind was becoming a golden god near the end.

I refered to myself as a choo choo train, who ran around with his tiny little hammer forged by the gods

and could murder anyone and anything

and I loved seizing houses for my own personal use
    this

except i didn't refer to myself as a choo choo train what the hell is that
    and why is sunder so small

I was a huge Orc, and ran really really quickly

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really need to finish Morrowind one day.

Like the main quest. Or one of the Great House factions.

I really enjoyed the time I did all the Temple shrine pilgrimages, no fast travel, as a beggar, utilising only what I could make myself.

Also, Daggerfall is crazy. Oblivion was great, too, just wandering around in the wilds, hunting and journeying. But Morrowind is my favourite. Man, I've months playing that game.

Also, Alec Meer of RockPaperShotgun has been doing a Morrowind blog last week or so. Not a real fan so far, but his mod selection at the beginning was interesting and RPS is usually a pretty good read, so I'm hoping something comes of it.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    For some reason, the whole 'get better at a skill by using it' thing was a huge barrier for me. Arguments about 'well that's how it'd be in real life' aside...there was just something that really killed me about that system. Considering how mundane some of the sidequests in Oblivion were, paired with the fact that you don't get XP for completing quests...it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Huh. That's one of the things I really like about the Eldar Scrolls games.

Like, really, really like.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morrowind was great because training was something you could do en mass

infact all my money at the start of a game went towards it

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuck Daggerfall. That game can suck the withered ruin that is my penis.

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    Huh. That's one of the things I really like about the Eldar Scrolls games.

Like, really, really like.

Yeah, I mean the PC RPGs I played growing up were typically just evolutions of D&D, so I guess that's where I get my skill point fetish.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We're watching this thread. Scum.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    oh man

just reinstalled 1nsane

and they got a patch that allows joystick support

and I got a 360 controller hooked up to the pc

bliss

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hate how I basically have to train only one skill for an entire level if I want to have a character who is going to be at all viable.

Especially if you're primarily a magic user.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I only have played oblivion I had a really good time tooling around town and all that but I eventually realised I had a broken character and couldn't even fight goddam skeletons it made me not want to play the game any more.

Blake T on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oblivion was made about 500 times more fun by turning the difficulty slider down a bunch. You would have to be a special kind of retard not to be able to kill stuff on the lowest setting.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    Drew-B wrote: »
    For some reason, the whole 'get better at a skill by using it' thing was a huge barrier for me. Arguments about 'well that's how it'd be in real life' aside...there was just something that really killed me about that system. Considering how mundane some of the sidequests in Oblivion were, paired with the fact that you don't get XP for completing quests...it just rubbed me the wrong way.

it's a neat idea, but I hated how much skill and stat management went into making a viable character

unlikely as it is, I'd love to see TES V with fallout 3's skill system

I agree. I've always loved Fallout's system, Bethesda's changes included...

The only big thing Fallout 3 needed was loot (Beyond vanilla weapons), and Oblivion definitely had that going for it.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    Oblivion was made about 500 times more fun by turning the difficulty slider down a bunch. You would have to be a special kind of retard not to be able to kill stuff on the lowest setting.

Yes! I realised this once I got into Kvatch. You had to walk into the plaza and kill maybe half a dozen monsters. Of course all your retard soldier pals quickly get themselves killed, and then you'd be squished. So I turned the difficulty slider aaaalll the way to the left.

Of course now the combat is completely unchallenging, but sometimes that's a good thing after you end up having to plunder Generic Goblin Cave #68721.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sheogorth's shrine quest in Oblivion was great

It's raining burning dogs!

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    Daggerfall was one of my favorite games ever

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the best mod is cliff racer extinction

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mmmm Daggerfall.

And no, Mori, the version of Daggerfall that Bethesda has put out is not stripped down at all. Everything's there. Intro cinematics included.

It even works with Andyfall in DOSBox!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oblivion was fun but objectively "ehhh" at best.

I currently have Morrowind installed. So I will probably play it.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Drew-B wrote: »

Yeah. I never liked the skill systems post arena aka "you mean I have to put a paperweight on my space bar to do that quest?"

The thing about the leveling systems is that they only require you to do things that involve doing useful things to advance, whereas with the skill system it's like, oh, I guess I should sit here and jump and run for half an hour.

Couldn't stand it. Fallout 3 is definitely better for not relying on it.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh most definitely. The difference between Fallout and Oblivion for me was about 60 hours, and about 60 less demon gates.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It was so easy to break morrowind with any kind of paralysis weapon. You just stab them once and then switch to any other weapon to finish them off.

Brolo on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For all of Oblivion's attempts at balance, it was steal really easy to break it.

You just enchant all your gear with chameleon and no one can see you ever.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CorpseRT wrote: »
    For all of Oblivion's attempts at balance, it was steal really easy to break it.

You just enchant all your gear with chameleon and no one can see you ever.

Yeah I'm not sure how they didn't see that as a potential flaw.

Brolo on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    They don't give a shit. I've seen interviews where people have said "DON'T YOU REALISE YOU CAN JUST CAST A SPELL OVER AND OVER AND GET MAX MAGIC" or whatever is the exploit de jour and Bethesda say "if you want to play the game that way, go ahead". I just wish they'd fix the fucking levelling system and the whole game would be peachy.

Tube on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If they fixed the leveling system and the time-taking combat system, I would be most pleased.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the biggest problem with the leveling system is that even with it trying to adjust itself, it's still incredibly easy to kill pretty much anything after you get some decent equipment and a few of your skills to decent levels.

Brolo on
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for making this thread. I'm sure I'll be reinstalling Morrowind after I finish Arcanum (again, a few more times).

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I ended up with something like 400 hours spent on my character in Morrowind.

I cannot even pretend to regret this. Only game I've played that truly felt like you were entering into an entire world.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    Sheogorth's shrine quest in Oblivion was great

It's raining burning dogs!

Made even better if you do it after finishing the Shivering Isles main quest.

Also Moriveth, no mention of the official DLC for Oblivion? A few of them were pretty good. Knights of the Nine, Battlesomething Keep, the huge wizard tower.

Also if you haven't seen this then you probably should

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The huge wizard tower was kinda cool, but the quests for all the houses weren't nearly as awesome as the house quests in Morrowind.

Growing your own tower from scatch?

Hell yes.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God, getting your own compound was incredibly bad ass. Just the sense of owning this huge complex was awesome. I loved morrowind so much, but I have trouble getting back into it since I played it so much.. I would have to forget all about it to be able to play again.

Also trying to install daggerfall and it is being a pain in the ass.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus