As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm still addicted to the DS

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    nostalgia looks awesome as hell

PiptheFair on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    gotta get that wine red ds, son

Clint Eastwood on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Soooooo Phantasy Star 0 was reviewed by Nintendo Power. They gave it an 8.0 out of 10, marking points off for the battle menu, but mentioned how impressed they were they fit as much data as a Dreamcast game onto a DS cart. They heavily enjoyed the game aside from its flaws, and compared it mostly favorably to its predecessor.

Antimatter on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I pretty much have to get Phantasy Star Portable 2 if it comes out here.

2132396256.jpg

(Sayo Yuuki from Castle Shikigami 1/2/3 etc.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Looks like sub Wild ARMs 1 graphics too

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was made by RED Company, so it has some pedigree at least.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    that new DSi looks pretty neat, I think i'm gonna get one

I already thought the DS Lite was a little too big for pockets, but that thing is HUGE for a portable system. The stylus turns me off a little more than the size, though.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always said if they made a bigger ds lite I would pick it up

I just hope it comes out here

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always said if they made a bigger ds lite I would pick it up

I just hope it comes out here

Apparently confirmed for 1st quarter 2010.

George Fornby Grill on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh my fuck I forgot all about phantasy star zero
    oh man it's out soon!

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited October 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    oh my fuck I forgot all about phantasy star zero
    oh man it's out soon!

You and I
    we'll do this, man
    we'll make this happen
    I should get it 'round Christmas time
    I'll post my friend code, and we can kill giant octopi

Antimatter on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    pfft, christmas? I'll have already killed all the giant octopi by then

also, on the note of FFIV DS: I was absolutely astonished that I could alter the status of enemies and bosses to great effect

I've just dealt with hard enemies giving me a FUCK YOU to poison/sleep/paralyze/etc for so long that it just felt so foreign to actually be able to play that hand when I needed to

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Man wanna play so bad but amazon is taking forever to ship it. Damn you super saver shipping!

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited October 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    pfft, christmas? I'll have already killed all the giant octopi by then

:(
    But seriously, I'd prefer teaming up with forumers over complete strangers.

Antimatter on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why did they call the game Nostalgia. Is it like when the japanimus thought Magna Carta was an awesome name for a jrpg?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They probably explain it in the game?

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited October 2009
    It's called Nostalgia because it's supposed to be a throwback to old RPG's.

Antimatter on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I heard the random encounter rate is even worse than Skies of Arcadia

ugh

Javen on
    edited October 2009
    Seems kind of lame because its not like we don't have a shit ton of rereleases of old rpgs anyway. I call shenanigans

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Well the review is just up a few posts, unless you can't watch it right now.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited October 2009
    I'm comfortable with my preconceived notions and close-mindedness at the moment. Maybe later

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    I heard the random encounter rate is even worse than Skies of Arcadia

ugh

wait, original or remake one
    because the GC remake toned it down a lot

PiptheFair on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I did not think it was that bad on the dreamcast as I have played games with random encounters one after another that just old and quite annoying

Brainleech on
    edited October 2009
    Final Fantasy Four had never ending random encounters that'd kick your butt, and that made you STRONG. You aren't STRONG if you can't handle it.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited October 2009
    There was a Genesis game called Cybercop/Corporation that was random some points were fixed like the parking garage

I have never beat it but it had random encounters with hulking green monsters that would kick your ass it did not help after you died/got caught as a human that you were thrown in jail if you had the bomb you could get out. Usually outside of the door you just blew was one of those monsters and you were screwed

Brainleech on
    edited October 2009
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    Why did they call the game Nostalgia. Is it like when the japanimus thought Magna Carta was an awesome name for a jrpg?

To be fair, Magna Carta was made in Korea.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I did not think it was that bad on the dreamcast as I have played games with random encounters one after another that just old and quite annoying

i definitely went through patches of one encounter after another in skies

finally getting the ability to fly over the clouds and at least avoid battles while in the world map was so wonderful

satansfingers on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brainleech wrote: »

i definitely went through patches of one encounter after another in skies

finally getting the ability to fly over the clouds and at least avoid battles while in the world map was so wonderful
    Let's not forget how when flying to the forest area for the first time you had move at like 30% your normal speed with the normal encounter rate through an entire portion of the map!

Cilla Black on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I finished Bowser's Inside Story last night. It was fun, but kinda easy. The last boss was no challenge at all.

Started The World Ends With You now. I like the music.

Ivar on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    rrrrgghhh stop with the really shoddy 3d gammmmessss

i cant even play you you look so bad

Arch on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want a new 2D Metroid

Ivar on
    edited October 2009
    I was playing Scribblenauts at lunch at work last night when I got stuck and bored so I started to summon a troll then some goats to see if he would eat them
    Then a kangaroo and boxer to fight each other that failed
    Then a dingo and baby, the dingo eats the baby every time! I could not stop laughing after that. Laughing in an evil and insane way

Brainleech on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Ivar wrote: »
    So I finished Bowser's Inside Story last night. It was fun, but kinda easy. The last boss was no challenge at all.

I just finished BIS too. It wasn't super hard but the last boss fight was loooooong for me.
    By the time I got the Dark Fawful thing down the point where I could attack the Dark Star, I would get in one or two shots and it would go back to Bowser/Dark Bowser, rinse, repeat. Maybe there was something I was missing to do some serious damage or speed things up but it just seemed to take a really long time.

DMAC on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DMAC wrote: »

I just finished BIS too. It wasn't super hard but the last boss fight was loooooong for me.
    By the time I got the Dark Fawful thing down the point where I could attack the Dark Star, I would get in one or two shots and it would go back to Bowser/Dark Bowser, rinse, repeat. Maybe there was something I was missing to do some serious damage or speed things up but it just seemed to take a really long time.

this was exactly my problem with it
    I don't know if it actually took a full hour but it felt like it

unintentional on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2009

Did you use Bowser's Inhale to have Mario and Luigi fight Fawfulstar?

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2009
    I finally beat
    Giga Gaia
    in Chrono Trigger. That was fucking annoying.
    I hate having to use lower level armor, but I had to use the Ruby Vests.

Antimatter on
    edited November 2009
    Keith wrote: »

Did you use Bowser's Inhale to have Mario and Luigi fight Fawfulstar?

Yeah, as far as I know I was doing it as often as I could. Whenever he'd cough him up I'd have Bowser inhale him. M&L must have fought it 7 or 8 times to do enough damage. It just felt super long and repetitive. I was starting to worry that my DS was going to run out of power before I beat him.

DMAC on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    7 or 8? It only took 4 or 5 for me

unintentional on
    edited November 2009
    As someone who beat Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga without correctly using Bros. Attacks, would I be able to beat Bowser's Inside Story the same way?

Antimatter on
    edited November 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    As someone who beat Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga without correctly using Bros. Attacks, would I be able to beat Bowser's Inside Story the same way?

Yes. That may have been part of my problem with the final boss. I never touched any of the Bros. moves beyond the turtle shell and the fire flower (and for Bowser, the Goombas and the Shy Guys).

DMAC on
This discussion has been closed.