As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Coughed up something scary

FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was up last night with a terribly sore throat due to oversmoking, yelling, and general stress-related things

Anyway, I woke and hacked something that felt solid up. I spit into a cup and looked at this morning and it appeared to be a little piece of lung

My brother saw it and was pretty worried, but he ovverreacts a lot. I feel mostly fine, still a little sick, but not like anything is missing

am I going to die

reposig.jpg
Fandyien on

• mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Uh. Fucking doctor? Now|?

You sure it wasn't food?

mooshoepork on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A yup

It was a fleshy chunky thing. But it was really small, and I feel fine.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are you sure it wasn't just sputum? Not a doctor, but as a smoker I hack up gross shit all the time.

Simpsonia on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    are you sure it's not sputum?

the wook on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm just going to take a guess that coughing up a lung would hurt enough for you to call a doctor and not consult the internet.

probably just sputum

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's almost certainly sputum. Welcome to being a smoker.

Thanatos on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsil_stones

Does it look like that? I don't think it's really a big deal. I get them sometimes. They're kind of like little hard balls of pus that build up in the back of your throat.

Lemming on
  • purplebubblespurplebubbles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Putting my nurse hat on I would say that with all of the yelling and such that you did, you dried out your secretions and coughed up a dry ball of sputum. In all of my 5 years nursing I have NEVER seen or heard of someone coughing up part of a lung. Even people with advanced lung cancer don't actively cough up lungs.

purplebubbles on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've coughed up blood clots during particularly nasty bouts of sore throat.

Underdog on
  • HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lemming wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsil_stones

Does it look like that? I don't think it's really a big deal. I get them sometimes. They're kind of like little hard balls of pus that build up in the back of your throat.

So that's what those are. I used to get them a lot.

I saw a doctor about it when I first noticed, and he just said, "Don't worry about it. It's benign." I hate it when they don't tell you what something is.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    A yup

It was a fleshy chunky thing. But it was really small, and I feel fine.
    I would point that if it had actually been a part of your lungs... have you ever known any part of the human body that can be violently removed without incurring a great deal of blood and pain? Especially bits that are never supposed to come out, like the lungs?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have coughed up some horrific blood clots after having nosebleeds. The clot forms, slides back down into my throat and I hack it up. It's gross looking/sounding/feeling.

Have any nosebleeds before this happened?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmmm, I was expecting someone to be coughing up some flesh eating maggots or something. :p

Okay, fleshy chunk, coughed up. I doubt it is from your lungs, as coughing things up requires quite some force and a solid chunk of flesh would probably stay down there. So if anything, it is from your throat. Also, ever ripped out a chunk of your palate? I have, and I am assuming doing something to your throat would feel similar...so..trust me when I say that you'll know.

If you're that worried, see a doctor, and maybe cut back on smoking. I occasionally smoke a pack or so over the course of a week (and then not for several weeks/months) and when I rush through said pack because of stress, I start hacking up all sorts of nasty tasting things...so not entirely unthinkable that that plays a role.

Tinuz on
  • ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When in doubt see a doctor. If you think you should go on here to ask about it, just go see a doc and get it checked out.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man it's so not worth going to a doctor over. Bodies do weird things sometimes that are completely normal.

Lemming on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What a great ad for not smoking.

Shawnasee on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    What a great ad for not smoking.

YellowGreened for truth and grossness.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Arasen wrote: »
    When in doubt see a doctor. If you think you should go on here to ask about it, just go see a doc and get it checked out.
    This is really fucking stupid advice, especially in the U.S.

Paying $200 to be told you're a hypochondriac really isn't worth it.

Thanatos on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

I agree that it's probably sputum, and unless something else occurs that a doctor visit is not needed.

On the other hand, if you have health insurance then really you're only looking at $20-25 copay most likely, so if you're really worried then there is little harm.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I once urinated out something that looked suspiciously like flesh. It scared the living crap out of me. I kept a sample and took it to my doctor.

It turned out it was flesh. I wasn’t going to die but it was something that needed to be addressed (endometriosis). So if this ever happens again keep a sample and take it to your doctor, if for nothing else for your peace of mind.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
    edited July 2009
    Yeah 99% of the time it's gonna be nothing. But if you're concerned go see a doctor who can actually look at the damn thing. Describing something to people in an internet forum isn't going to yield an accurate answer. I'm an EMT, seen some wierd shit out there. Normally it's something small, but it never can hurt to get checked out. It's like saying your chest hurts after working out. Most of the time you just need to catch your breath or just being sore, but sometimes it's a heart attack. You'd be surprised at the number of people who know the signs and symptoms of a cardiac event and pass it off as nothing. Granted it's an extreme example but it better to go in be told it's nothing than rather it be significant and not addressed.
    As for OP here. Get seen if you think it's worth concern and will grant you peace of mind. If not, don't go. Personally, if I'm not sure I play it on the safe side.

Arasen on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here's a spoiler on how this is going to go:

OP: "I coughed up something weird after a night of smoking and yelling."
    Doctor: "When you smoke you cough up sputum. Expect this to continue to get worse. You should stop smoking. It's bad for you."

It is flat out impossible to cough up chunks of lung.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
    edited July 2009
    Show me where he said he smokes.

Arasen on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Show me where he said he smokes.
    Fandyien wrote: »
    So I was up last night with a terribly sore throat due to oversmoking, yelling, and general stress-related things

Anyway, I woke and hacked something that felt solid up. I spit into a cup and looked at this morning and it appeared to be a little piece of lung

My brother saw it and was pretty worried, but he ovverreacts a lot. I feel mostly fine, still a little sick, but not like anything is missing

am I going to die

Enc on
    edited July 2009
    Well then, I obviously need to read better.

Arasen on
    edited July 2009
    It's almost certainly sputum. Welcome to being a smoker.

I cough up black stuff all the time, but this was the first time it was something solid

I guess it was just the most significant thing I've ever hacked up

But yes, I do, indeed smoke a whole bunch.

[edit]
    Underdog wrote: »
    I've coughed up blood clots during particularly nasty bouts of sore throat.

Yeah, I should have added that I had/have a terrible sore throat and swollen glands and just general throat shittiness

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

...or having your company policy shell out $1000 for a doctor to tell you you're a hypochondriac and having that additional cost taken on by a funded plan making the likelihood of a premium increase even higher, really isn't worth it.

Not that I'm bitter.

At all.

God damnit.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    I had a really awful cold a while back and I coughed all the time. Sometimes I'd cough up phlegm that was much more fibrous than the normal kind to the point that it seemed pretty solid. I think it's just part of having an unhealthy respiratory tract.

Doc on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You guys,

i feel so bad for you, that you have to weigh your health against money everytime sonething comes up. I just cannot begin to imagine how much that sucks.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    You guys,

i feel so bad for you, that you have to weigh your health against money everytime sonething comes up. I just cannot begin to imagine how much that sucks.

I have insurance, it really would only be $20 to go to the doctor. But this isn't "something" coming up. The dude was smoking and yelling and his body repaid him appropriately.

When I drink heavily for most of a weekend and get drunk pizza at 4AM, I don't go to the doctor when I get nasty shits and stomachaches asking "how did I come to this?"

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
    edited July 2009
    he coughed up tissue

i've coughed up phleghm in all the colours of the rainbow, but tissue?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Actually, as it turned out, I was having a severe allergic reaction to some antibiotics I was on. I should have been in the emergency room!

Now I'm just covered in hives.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Back in 2002 when I was retraining from infantry to artillery and still smoking, I contracted full blown pneumonia and was barely able to be fully awake for maybe three or four hours a day, with a temp near 106F for two of those days. yes yes, lucky to be alive

but each morning whenever it was that I was able to drag myself out of bed and into the shower, I would crank the water temp as high as possible because the steam was doing a better job of loosening the shit in my throat and lungs better than the meds were, and aside from the many many occasions where I would cough and hack mouthfulls of blood and mucus into the sink or toilet, on one occasion I was in a coughing fit, started choking and couldn't get any air in or out so it was like the dry-heaving of coughing, and then I felt a very sharp pain about two inches below my adam's apple and a chunk of bloody, slightly porous flesh landed in the sink with a nasty "splat".

I picked it up. Examined it. It wasn't some solidifying secretion, it was flesh. From where? I can't say for sure but god damn I'm glad I was able to quit smoking.

Weaver on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Goddammit Weaver.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited July 2009
    auto-tonsillectomy!

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg