Options

The NEW Cell Phone Thread

• Options
    cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have an AT&T Quickfire and I absolutely hate it. Worse phone I have ever used.

After my contract is up, I either want to switch to verizon, or stay with AT&T if persuasion presents itself.

I am looking for a flip phone with little features. A camera would be nice, and a usb connection of course.

I was looking at the motorola w755 as a reference, but maybe i'm not looking in the right place.

Any suggestions?

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So just started a paid-internship thing which is rocking.

They gave me a samsung omnia with a plan that has all the bells and whistles. Which I thought was pretty sweet. Now for some damn reason I can't get the Windows Update app on the thing to work properly. Does anyone have any personal experience from this phone. For the most part I am enjoying it, although the interface is a little quirky.

I am also on a plan with another company as I had no idea I would be getting a free phone, unfortuantly I've only been on the contract for like a year. Guess I'm going to be paying the 400 bucks to get out of it, as it would be worth it in the long run.

Dixon on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if there has ever been a windows update to a WinMo phone. They put it on with the intention of using it, but carriers won't let them push an update via that method because the carriers have no control over it.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No, there has been. I remember when WM 6.0 came out, the T-Mobile Dash was able to upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0.

That's the only example I can think of off the top of my head, though.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey that phone looks pretty good indeed! And so does the 6500 :)! Would have gotten an iPhone but I am jobless so I don't feel I deserve it/afford it. Thanks!

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No, there has been. I remember when WM 6.0 came out, the T-Mobile Dash was able to upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0.

but did it come through the actual windows update application on the phone? Becuase I'm pretty sure that an OS update like that would have been a ROM from T-Mobile. That type of update would be akin to Microsoft pushing out an "upgrade" from XP to Vista through windows update.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I've seen one thing come through the Windows Update application ever. Some minor foofarah.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

but did it come through the actual windows update application on the phone? Becuase I'm pretty sure that an OS update like that would have been a ROM from T-Mobile. That type of update would be akin to Microsoft pushing out an "upgrade" from XP to Vista through windows update.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "windows update". Yeah, that upgrade had to be downloaded from T-Mobile.com to the phone through a computer.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey Centipede, is it possible for me to buy a T-mobile prepaid phone and just stick my normal SIM in it? I'm going fishing in a couple weeks and I don't really want to bring my G1 along.

It seems logical to me, but I went into the T-mobile store this afternoon and the lady there swore I couldn't. I guess I could troll ebay for an unlocked beater, but this would be easier.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes, you can. There's no difference at all between prepaid phones and regular ones, (well, except for the Nokia 2610). Out of the current prepaid phones, I'd go with the Nokia 1661. It's got an LED flashlight and FM radio and it's only $20.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    speaking of!

I was thinking of getting rid of my iPhone and getting a pay as you go phone, because I have like 8 months of rollover minutes

AT&T charges you 1 dollar for your first call of the day as a fee + the minutes you use. so if you take a call every day, that's $30 before you actually talk. which is a fucking rip off.

anyone have (or know of) a pay as you go phone that isn't a rip off?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes, you can. There's no difference at all between prepaid phones and regular ones, (well, except for the Nokia 2610). Out of the current prepaid phones, I'd go with the Nokia 1661. It's got an LED flashlight and FM radio and it's only $20.

$15 at Target. emot-toot.gif Works great, thanks.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    speaking of!

I was thinking of getting rid of my iPhone and getting a pay as you go phone, because I have like 8 months of rollover minutes

AT&T charges you 1 dollar for your first call of the day as a fee + the minutes you use. so if you take a call every day, that's $30 before you actually talk. which is a fucking rip off.

anyone have (or know of) a pay as you go phone that isn't a rip off?

well, T-Mobile has a pay as you go option with no other fees

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/Prepaid-Plans.aspx

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Big post asking for advice on Blackberry Bold vs. iPhone 3GS
    It's time to upgrade the old phone. I'm stuck on AT&T due to these damned "your minutes are free if you call the same network" systems they put in place. I live in DC, so we have a large 3G network. I've heard repeatedly that the AT&T 3G network is pretty choked by iphones, though, and the Bold won't benefit from it as much.

I WILL be using this phone for business. Having access to my Outlook calendar and e-mail at the same time as my gmail will matter a great deal to me. I am of the understanding that I won't get true push e-mail with the iphone, so I may have up to a 10 minute delay on getting some e-mails if I'm not manually checking. That's not a huge problem, but it's an inconvenience. Additionally, I hate the iphone keys with all of my heart. I have large enough fingers that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to operate the on-screen keys well, but I've been repeatedly told my iphone owners that I'll get used to it.

I'll probably use the phone some for music playing when at the gym or something, but I gather both phones handle that pretty well.

On the iphone's side are two considerations. First, apps. The damn thing gets all kind of nifty little apps and fun games. Me likey. Additionally, there's some discussion that the federal government, especially the DoD, are making a move against blackberries being set up to handle traffic from their mail servers because of cloud-side storage of passwords. This isn't the biggest consideration, but it's a tiny favor point for the iphone on my chart of costs and benefits.

Anyway, I've been going back and forth on the two for a couple days. I was hoping someone could help me out with their thoughts/commentary.

Edit: I am also pleased by the iphone's superior browser.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Navy uses Bolds, currently. Yous crazy.

As for choosing, I can't help you there. Personally, I already get a work BB, so the bold hasn't even been a consideration. I'm probably getting a 3GS.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Navy uses Bolds, currently. Yous crazy.

As for choosing, I can't help you there. Personally, I already get a work BB, so the bold hasn't even been a consideration. I'm probably getting a 3GS.

I talked work out of buying me a BB this time and into just covering part of my cell bill. I'm tired of two-fisting phones. I'd been getting advice by a couple of contractors to avoid the BB because there was some edginess about security. It was all hearsay, though.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    if you want to have access to an outlook exchange account, the Blackberry wins, hands down. there is no smoother/better/more streamlined experience.

the iPhone is a good personal phone, but don't pretend it's a high powered business device.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Uh, my co-worker has calls forwarded from his BB to his iPhone, and uses mail forwarding to get his work mail on his iPhone. But I don't know what my point is since you already mentioned the 10min/manual email refresh thing.

I'll just agree with what wunderbar said, because i just remembered the other stuff like calendar/tasks/notes/contacts that don't sync with the iPhone.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anybody have any experience with the sparkly new Blackberry Tour?

I've got a friend that works for BestBuy that could get me hooked up with one for around $149, but didn't know how good of a deal that is.

I know it's the newest commercially available one and the camera on the thing is fantastic for a smartphone, but I don't know enough about them to make a truly informed buying decision.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Tour is $200 with 2-year agreement online, so dunno what you are agreeing to with your friend at BB.

What are you looking for in a phone? Blackberry phones in general are excellent, and the Tour is basically Verizon's version of the Bold, but slightly better from the reviews I've been seeing.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/07/07/verizon-blackberry-tour-review/

Essentially, new keyboard, trackball, and screen (480x360) are excellent updates to the 8830 and 8330 currently available on Verizon, and better than even the Bold. It's offered with and without a camera, so make sure you specify when ordering. :) Oh, and the GPS chip is not locked to VZNav, so you can use whatever mapping program for GPS.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How do you guys feel about the upcoming Android phones?

The "MyTouch 3G" is pretty tempting, terrible name aside.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I love the idea of Android, but I haven't really liked any of the hardware that I've seen paired with it yet.

On another note:
    I find the entire Palm/Apple drama hilarious, and I'm rooting for Palm.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I've held the BlackBerry Tour briefly, but have followed it keenly since my company uses a CDMA carrier exclusively and the BB Tour is CDMA only right now.

Basically, the Tour is the best BlackBerry RIM has made to date. It takes the formfactor of the Curve 8900, the keyboard of the Bold, the screen of the 8900, and some of it's own design elements, throws it into a blender, and gives you the prettiest BB made to date.

The keyboard felt fantastic, the screen was on par with what you'll see from the Bold/8900, and it just feels good in the hand. It was a little heavier than I was expecting it to be, but it's still lighter than the bold. It doesn't have wifi, which sucks, but you can blame that solely on Verizon, even though it fucks it up for everyone else, even those of us in Canuckistan.

even with the lack of Wifi, if you are on Verizon or Sprint in the US, and Bell or Telus in Canada, and you are looking for a new BlackBerry, the Tour just became the device you are going to buy. Don't even bother looking at another BlackBerry on those 4 carriers(unless you need PTT).

wunderbar on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well the Sprint version of the Tour also doesn't have any WiFi so in this particular case, the blame might not be on Verizon crippling the shit out of a phone for once. I've been meaning to check out the Tour as I'm due for an upgrade from Verizon but I'm not sure if I want to go that route yet, or even stay with Verizon. I'm starting to get sick of getting poor phone selection and late releases, although the service certainly is great.

Rei on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, poor phone selection is why I really want to get away from Verizon. They have the absolute worst phones.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rei wrote: »
    Well the Sprint version of the Tour also doesn't have any WiFi so in this particular case, the blame might not be on Verizon crippling the shit out of a phone for once. I've been meaning to check out the Tour as I'm due for an upgrade from Verizon but I'm not sure if I want to go that route yet, or even stay with Verizon. I'm starting to get sick of getting poor phone selection and late releases, although the service certainly is great.

I'm pretty sure it is at least partially Verizon's fault. Until very recently, like, 2 weeks ago, Verizon had a policy against WiFi on their phones. And since Verizon is by far the biggest CDMA carrier in north america,they could pretty well dictate to RIM that if they wanted to get the Tour onto Verizon, it coudlnt' have wifi.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I know it all depends on where you live, but WiFi is the absolutely least used feature on my Blackberry. Every Wifi spot (and even then there aren't many) in my area is stupid pay-use garbage so I don't even bother turning the Wifi radio on. And Wifi speeds up internet SIGNIFICANTLY in my case because I'm on the 8350i with Nextel's painfully slow network...

It's not really something worth complaining about, imo, if you have EVDO or 3G available.

I wouldn't really say it's Verizon's fault there's no Wifi either, because there are other phones with Wifi available on the network. So it just doesn't make sense that they'd limit it. I have heard that the phone is a bit thicker than the Curve, so perhaps RIM just didn't want to make it any thicker to try to squeeze the radio in? I know my 8350i is pretty thick compared to some of the other models of BB. Though that could also be attributed to Nextel.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tour is thicker than the Curve because it has a CDMA and GSM radio rather than just one or the other. I've also never gotten any use out of Wifi, wherever I go Sprint's data follows. I imagine if I switched to T-Mobile it's something I'd want though.

JAEF on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    The Tour is $200 with 2-year agreement online, so dunno what you are agreeing to with your friend at BB.

He's manager of the mobile division at my local store, he said I could do it so I could redeem my Reward Zone stuff w/ the new 2 year contract offer, something that's normally not doable.

Reading up some more, I'll definitely be pulling the trigger on it, it looks to be freaking sweet. Sadly it'll have to wait a couple of paychecks at least, till I could cover the phone plus the massive first bill (let's see, activation fee + service charge + 69.99 for unlimited text and data + etc... = wallet screaming!).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Akinos wrote: »

Well there's going to be some even more awesome Android phones coming out later this year

you should head over to the Android thread

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Akinos wrote: »

Well there's going to be some even more awesome Android phones coming out later this year

you should head over to the Android thread

Hey look at that, an Android thread. Thanks!

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

He's manager of the mobile division at my local store, he said I could do it so I could redeem my Reward Zone stuff w/ the new 2 year contract offer, something that's normally not doable.

Reading up some more, I'll definitely be pulling the trigger on it, it looks to be freaking sweet. Sadly it'll have to wait a couple of paychecks at least, till I could cover the phone plus the massive first bill (let's see, activation fee + service charge + 69.99 for unlimited text and data + etc... = wallet screaming!).

Activation fee? People still charge for that? I haven't seen an activation fee in years.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Activation fee? People still charge for that? I haven't seen an activation fee in years.

How it works, at least for my carrier, is that if you activate in store, you have to pay a fee, but if you activate online/over the phone, you don''t.

Because apparently the 2 minutes it takes to activate in store is worth $35, that's a pretty good hourly rate =/

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Unless you can find some reason to not activate over the phone/online.

I can't activate any phones online or over the phone because they ask me to change my plan to a new one (since mine is no longer offered, same with text plan), so I have to use the store. I tell them this and they don't charge activation fees. :D

So find a reason you can't do it online (or offer to and see if they let you) and then get the activation fee waived. :)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Can someone here give me a quick hand?

I have a Motorola K1 Rzr and I need to know how to make it lock every time I close the phone. So every time I flip open the phone, I want to enter a pin.

I've turned on automatic locking, but it doesn't appear to be what I'm looking for. I don't see any difference when I turn on automatic locking.

edit - ah, never mind. I've just put a lock on the messages application. That should keep my brother out.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty adamantly against activation fees, but when I got my 3GS on launch day, the dude in the store activating it for me sat on hold for two hours while I fucked off back to work. He got it activated and working and all I had to do was come back at the end of the day to sign some papers and walk away with my new phone.

I feel that this was an instance where the activation fee was properly earned.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why the heck did it take two hours to activate? That is absurd.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Probably something to do with apple's servers not being able to take the load of all the new 3gs and cheaper 3g's being activated all at once. Any time something big like that happens with the iphone, the server just start chugging. Happens every time a major firmware update hits too

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ::insert joke about running the activation server on an Apple server here::

Yeah, when it's something as annoying as that, sure it's probably worth the few bucks to make sure you can actually use your phone at the end of the day. But when all they do is type a 10 digit (or however long it is) serial number into a computer and hit "go", it's not worth $35. Same with phonebook transfers. I've heard them try to charge like $15-25 for them too, occasionally, but I never will.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Anyone want a Palm Pre?

Palm Pre drops to $99 at Best Buy
    engadget wrote:
    Interesting -- just a couple days after Sprint CEO Dan Hesse told a conference that "it's too early to tell" if the Pre's a hit while talking about Android, the latest Best Buy ad shows Palm's baby on sale for just $99 on a two-year contract. That ought to spike some sales, but we'll see if its just a one-week special or a permanent drop before we start trying to read any tea leaves here -- anyone running out to grab one?

Precentral.net

EDIT: Misprint apparently, it's $199.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png