As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The NEW Cell Phone Thread

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I spent a half hour talking to T-Mobile on the phone and they were incredibly helpful. It seems like if I just buy a phone outright I can get unlimited phone, text, data, tethering, and use the phone as a wifi router, for 79 bucks a month, 69 if I convince my boyfriend to get one too. I could probably use Skype/Google Voice to call my dad in Spain.

I think I'll buy a Nexus One and do that. All I have to do is convince Verizon to cut my ETF. I told T-Mobile a few of my ideas about what to say and they said they were pretty good, so wish me luck. Anybody know a good place to get a Nexus One?

You can only buy the nexus one online through google.

Or craigslist for 100 bucks cheaper. Does it come with a year warranty or something similar if you buy it through Google? Do you not get anything if you buy it from someone else, IE the device warranty does not transfer to the new owner even if it's brand new from craigslist?

You get 14 days to return the phone. If you have any other problems you have to deal with their tech support.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spaniard, look in to how many minutes you really need. 79.99 for unlimited everything is great, but if you're really only using 300 minutes a month, why pay the extra $20?

Also, the name of the plan you're looking at is the "Even More Plus" plan, just incase he didn't say that to you. If you go in to a store, that's the red-ish colored pamphlet, not the blue-ish colored one.

Evander on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Spaniard, look in to how many minutes you really need. 79.99 for unlimited everything is great, but if you're really only using 300 minutes a month, why pay the extra $20?

Also, the name of the plan you're looking at is the "Even More Plus" plan, just incase he didn't say that to you. If you go in to a store, that's the red-ish colored pamphlet, not the blue-ish colored one.

Ok ok you have a point, So for T-Mobile what plan am I looking at for say 500 minutes a month, free nights and weekends, 500 texts, unlimited data, tethering, etc. I can go for lower minutes and texting, the unlimited data and tethering is what's important to me. Can I get something like that for 50-60 bucks?

Also no luck with Verizon, I told them I was getting shitty reception in my apartment which is my primary location of use since I use it for everything as a landline and cell, and they said that they don't guarantee indoor service. Well, if they can't help me then I'm going to change my service, the ETF is 150 bucks which isn't murder, but it still smarts. Maybe I can sell my phone for 50-100 bucks to someone.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    and JAEF about the whole cell number thing, you are saying that if I got someone else to finish my contract for me I still can't take the number with me without paying the ETF? What do they care as long as somebody is paying for the contract? Also baring that, once the contract is up I can take my number with me right?
    The contract is that you agree to continue service with your provider for X amount of time. If you terminate service (which taking your number to another carrier necessitates) you pay the termination fee. There is no way to attach your contract to another number unless you voluntarily change your number, thus forfeiting your old number, which will be recycled back into the number pool after ~6 months.

Basically port out and pay up or stick with Verizon until the contract is over. Also if you're picking up an Android phone from Sprint (either the Moment or Hero, since the Evo has a junkload of extra fees) you can do wired tethering for free through the data plan included in the service I linked you, which is handled through an application called PDANet with a one-time purchase cost of $20.

Sprint reps won't discuss that with you since it's not a service they offer and profit from.

JAEF on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to T-Mobile and the Nexus One, check my last post for my final questions.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You're looking at the Even More Plus 500 plan which mirrors the Sprint plan I linked aside from all cell network calls being free. $60, 500 minutes, unlimited text/data, same deal for tethering.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    You're looking at the Even More Plus 500 plan which mirrors the Sprint plan I linked aside from all cell network calls being free. $60, 500 minutes, unlimited text/data, same deal for tethering.

I was in a Sprint store today and they said only one phone of theirs offers tethering and they charge an extra 30 bucks a month just for the privilege on top of the data.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I was in a Sprint store today and they said only one phone of theirs offers tethering and they charge an extra 30 bucks a month just for the privilege on top of the data.
    I seriously just covered this.

If you'd rather not reread the short post: All Android phones can do tethering unlimited through your mandatory-anyway data plan with a tethering application. It just won't be a wifi hotspot for multiple devices. You said you want it for your laptop and not some kind of franken-ipod-psp-netbook monstrosity so you would be fine with that.

Paid representatives for cell phone companies won't discuss this option with you as it is not a service provided or guaranteed through them and they do not profit from it.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I seriously just covered this.

If you'd rather not reread the short post: All Android phones can do tethering unlimited through your mandatory-anyway data plan with a tethering application. It just won't be a wifi hotspot for multiple devices. You said you want it for your laptop and not some kind of franken-ipod-psp-netbook monstrosity so you would be fine with that.

Paid representatives for cell phone companies won't discuss this option with you as it is not a service provided or guaranteed through them and they do not profit from it.

I'm sorry, I missed that, it was late. I still need help figuring out whether to go with Sprint or T-Mobile, I was leaning towards T-Mobile but you guys are telling me things going either way.

http://gizmodo.com/5571614/iphone-4s-real-cost-versus-other-top-smartphones

It seems with T-Mobile for 79 bucks I can either get unlimited everything when I purchase the phone or decide to pay the same 79 bucks for 500 minutes and unlimited everything else. Makes no sense, I might as well go with the 79 bucks for unlimited. On sprint I would be paying 79 bucks for 450 min and unlimited text and data. The better deal seems to be with T-Mobile. Unless I were to get some sort of employee referral that was linked earlier in the thread, I'm not sure or familiar with any of those particulars, if you'd want to fill me in. Though the chart is a little confusing, because it says that if I purchase the phone that limited and unlimited tiers are the same price, but at the bottom line for the limited and unlimited tier there is a 350 dollar discrepancy. What's that about?

Edit: My bad, I just looked at the T-Mobile website and the Even More Plus talk+text+web plan is 59 bucks for 500 min.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That chart is cocksuckingly retarded and assumes a number of factors for you. Disregard it completely. The plans you want are $60/month at either carrier (Sprint/Tmo) with 500 minutes, unlimited everything else. The only downside is that this plan will not work with the Evo on Sprint, so T-Mobile offers much better device choices at the moment.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That chart is cocksuckingly retarded and assumes a number of factors for you. Disregard it completely. The plans you want are $60/month at either carrier (Sprint/Tmo) with 500 minutes, unlimited everything else. The only downside is that this plan will not work with the Evo on Sprint, so T-Mobile offers much better device choices at the moment.

So it sounds like T-Mobile is the way to go then? Fabulous, thanks for all your help guys. You are all as brainsome as you are toothsome.

So do 1800 numbers incur minutes cause I sometimes am on the phone with tech support for this company and that for an hour or so, and I'd hate to run out of minutes cause I was on the phone with tech support on a 1800 number.. =P

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yes 1-800 numbers will pull from your pool of minutes. Unless it's on night/weekends.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yes 1-800 numbers will pull from your pool of minutes. Unless it's on night/weekends.

Which those numbers are rarely available for.. Well in that case should I just spend the extra 10 bucks to have a 500 minute buffer? 10 bucks more for a total of 1000 min?

Edit: Oh oh, and is the price for the Nexus One on Google straight up 529 or are there taxes and fees on top of that? Cause I can get a brand new one one Craigslist for about 400+ bucks.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh oh, and is the price for the Nexus One on Google straight up 529 or are there taxes and fees on top of that? Cause I can get a brand new one one Craigslist for about 400+ bucks.

Taxes apply depending on what state you live in.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh oh, and is the price for the Nexus One on Google straight up 529 or are there taxes and fees on top of that? Cause I can get a brand new one one Craigslist for about 400+ bucks.

Taxes apply depending on what state you live in.
    So it's not like Amazon? Damn I might as well get one off Craigslist for a couple hundred cheaper.

Edit: So I've been hearing all this talk about buying a Nexus One unlocked. https://www.google.com/phone/choose?hl=en&gl=US&s7e= On the phone only section there, explain what's going on there? Are those not unlocked?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I know the "phone only" purchases all come unlocked. The reason they have different carrier options for the phone only purchase is because they support different bands, so if you bought the AT&T N1 and tried to use it with TMo you'd only get voice and really shitty data service. Just make sure you buy the right one for your carrier choice (make sure of this when going through Craigslist.)

Someone actually brought in a N1 to a Verizon store and tried to activate it once, I had to stifle a chuckle.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Friend just offered me his old G1 for free, should I go for it? Is there anything I should know about that model phone, can I still use it to do everything I wanted to do before? I mean I could just use this till it wears out and then get a new phone.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jump on that shit. It'll do what you want.

JAEF on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Which those numbers are rarely available for.. Well in that case should I just spend the extra 10 bucks to have a 500 minute buffer? 10 bucks more for a total of 1000 min?.

If you're worried about how many minutes you use, why not look and see how many minutes you use now? Your habits aren't going to change.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You do realize that 500 minutes is a bit over 8 hours of straight talk, right? That may not seem like a lot but it's much more than you think.

I think I only ever went over 500 minutes total (incl. n/w) in a month once ever, and I work for the Navy; so when I'm on the road I'm getting phone calls constantly.

Your call activity may differ, I'm just pointing out that you've got more talk time in that plan than you realize.

Although I guess you could start at 1000 mins if you can afford it and just downgrade in the future if you're not hitting 500/month.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nexus One just got here! I love it. I have to touch the icons a little bit harder than what I expected but I'll get used to it. Its probably better off that its not too sensitive anyway.

3G is understandably shitty inside the apartment. Loads pretty quickly connected to my wifi though. Should be fun to see how well it works outside the apartment.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited June 2010
    So my friend has mailed the G1, and asked for just one month of WoW in return. He said he was missing the charging cable, so does the G1 use a mini USB or Micro? Also are there any other accessories for it I should order while I'm at it?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So my friend has mailed the G1, and asked for just one month of WoW in return. He said he was missing the charging cable, so does the G1 use a mini USB or Micro? Also are there any other accessories for it I should order while I'm at it?

Here's the user manual to the G1 (in case you need it):

http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm30234.pdf

The G1 uses ExtUSB, which is an HTC proprietary port that fulfills USB needs and can also function for audio output, among other things. It's compatible with standard mini-USB for charging, though.

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/psa_htcs_extusb_works_with_reg.html

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm sure this has been covered - where's a good place for entirely free high quality ringtones - clips of songs or video game sounds and music?

I think I'm aiming for FFVIII fanfare for main ringtone and best sounding MGS codec for text messages

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    when the nexus one updates to 2.2 it WILL be a hotspot for multiple devices, with no extra fees

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Here's the user manual to the G1 (in case you need it):

http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm30234.pdf

The G1 uses ExtUSB, which is an HTC proprietary port that fulfills USB needs and can also function for audio output, among other things. It's compatible with standard mini-USB for charging, though.

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/psa_htcs_extusb_works_with_reg.html

charging AND data

Evander on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    my HTC desire should arrive tuesday
    And the only thing I pay is a 5€ rise compared to the contract I have now, for which I get 120 minutes everywhere, an unlimited HSDPA flat, 40 sms, 5 mms and the phone itself
    55€ is a bit steep, but the 120 minutes are nice, I was using more than the 60 I had in the previous version of my contract and it kept getting MORE expensive than the 55€..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been covered - where's a good place for entirely free high quality ringtones - clips of songs or video game sounds and music?

I think I'm aiming for FFVIII fanfare for main ringtone and best sounding MGS codec for text messages

Depending on your phone, Cellsea.com used to be my go to for sound clips. But since I got an iphone and they have to be in a specific format I use Audiko.com. They allow you to upload your own files, choose from theirs or input a youtube url and let them extract the audio. Then they let you choose which segment to use. It's pretty comprehensive for being free.

honkymcgoo on
    I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I usually just find the audio clip I want from wherever has the wav or mp3, then use Bitpim to import it onto my phone. If you're lucky and have a nicer phone that allows you to just drag and drop into your ringtone folder, you're even better off.

I've never trusted those "Free ringtone!" sites.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I usually just find the audio clip I want from wherever has the wav or mp3, then use Bitpim to import it onto my phone. If you're lucky and have a nicer phone that allows you to just drag and drop into your ringtone folder, you're even better off.

I've never trusted those "Free ringtone!" sites.

If you have any version of an andriod phone Mabilo Ringtones is great and has both tones you want. Or a friend with an Android should be able to download those tones and text them to you. That's what I do for my husband, he's got an envy 2 and it works fine.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    or ringdroid if you have an mp3 etc

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Verizon is being a bunch of typical douches.
    Dear Mr. Charlie Falco,

Hello Mr. Falco, I have a rather serious Verizon issue and after repeated calls to technical support was unable to find a resolution, so I believe I need to escalate my issue to the top, and seeing as you are the VP of Verizon Customer Support, I could not imagine anyone else better to speak to about my issue. First and foremost, I'd like to impress upon you, that I am a long time Verizon customer. I have convinced my entire family to join Verizon, and even convinced them to not only stay with Verizon, but pay for a higher level contract, because I thought it was a good deal for them. I would like to part with Verizon on good terms.

My story begins about a year ago. I was having issues with my phone so I called up Verizon for help. What followed was a baffling series of calls and events in which nobody was able to help me. I had spent over 2 years paying the monthly insurance on my phone, but when I called for repair or replacement, I was bounced between Verizon and Asurion for several months. I continuously called trying to get help being told different things every time and eventually being shuffled off to the opposite company. I even visited a local Verizon kiosk no less than 3 times, each time being told something different.

After a couple months of trying I finally got in touch with a rep that knew exactly what needed to be done, and helped me start the replacement process on my almost non-working phone. Unfortunately an issue came up. I am on a family plan and another family member looking at the bill noticed the 5 dollar a month charge for the insurance and assumed that it was on their phone and asked to have it removed. It was a misunderstanding and somebody removed my insurance on my phone without my authorization or permission, but it was caught within a couple of weeks when I was on the phone with Verizon about my phone, and that is when things went down hill. Since my coverage had just been canceled I was told that my phone could not be replaced. It did not matter that I had spent several months trying to get help and that my coverage was only recently canceled. It was a bit galling that I couldn't be helped considering that had I been helped by my first phone call this issue would not have happened, but it was because of knowledgeable techs bouncing me back and forth for several months that it happened. The situation should be downright embarrassing to Verizon, and the fact that I started my calls over the issue before my insurance was canceled, it still should have been honored.

At that point I asked what my options were, and I was told that my only options were to either spend several hundred dollars on a new phone or renew my contract and they kept pushing it on me. I was basically talked into and strong-armed into renewing my contract, which at the time wasn't really an issue because I was happy with Verizon. But shortly after renewing my contract I moved to a location where I get bad coverage indoors. I didn't realize it at first, but after about 6 months I figured out that in my home I have really bad reception, dropped calls, and undelivered text messages. This is a serious issue since my cellphone is my primary phone. I have no land line, I use my cellular phone for everything, and unfortunately 90% of my usage is at home. I called Verizon for some help, just wanting to get my reception issues worked out, and I was matter-of-factly informed that Verizon does not guarantee indoor coverage and it says so in my contract. I was just trying to get help from a company that I had been a customer of for years and I was not only not being helped but being told that it wasn't their problem.

If I couldn't be helped I asked if I could just cancel my service without being forced to pay the ETF since I wasn't just blithely canceling my service, I was being forced to. I even offered to return my still in mint condition phone and was told that no matter whom I talked to I would not be able to wave the ETF, period. I asked if I was being told to either deal with really bad phone service or pay 150 dollars to get out of it and was flatly told, "If that's how you want to put it, then yes that is exactly what you are being told." I'm flabbergasted. After being absolutely stonewalled, I am hoping that one last try, trying to send an email to the top might help, because at this point Verizon has the choice of loosing one customer on good terms or four customers for life. Considering the situation, and the long list of events, I'm hoping that I could be helped somehow. Verizon could even call it even on the ETF with the fact that I paid 5 dollars a month for over 2 years to cover my phone and couldn't be legitimately helped when it came time to call on that insurance. If I had been properly helped about a year ago when everything began, this series of events would have never occurred. I would have never had to renew my contract if my phone had been replaced because I was perfectly content on my month to month after my plan had passed the current 2 year mark.

Please help me out, I would love to part ways with Verizon on good terms. I don't believe that it is fair under the circumstances to charge me an ETF or expect me to continue paying month to month for unsatisfactory service. I also think it would be better for Verizon to only loose one customer on pleasant terms and retain three others for years to come, then to loose four.

Sincerely;
    Alfonso ***********

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A well written letter and if he is any sort of decent man he would comply. It drives me nuts that people who are idiots and raise a ruckus in the store get their way, but if someone is actually polite and kind while trying to raise the same issue, they get blown off and the raw end of the deal. I worked in retail and saw this all the time...

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    A well written letter and if he is any sort of decent man he would comply. It drives me nuts that people who are idiots and raise a ruckus in the store get their way, but if someone is actually polite and kind while trying to raise the same issue, they get blown off and the raw end of the deal. I worked in retail and saw this all the time...

Not to mention that they can actually get away with saying that because there is some bullshit clause in their contract they don't have to give you the service you paid for, and if you don't like it then it's 150 bucks to take your business elsewhere.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If it were me, I would release you from your contract without ETF, but I would also send you this link:
    http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/loose_lose.htm
    This is because I am a customer service individual for a different company myself, and empathize with your situation. However I am also a tremendous grammar nazi.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If it were me, I would release you from your contract without ETF, but I would also send you this link:
    This is because I am a customer service individual for a different company myself, and empathize with your situation. However I am also a tremendous grammar nazi.

Lol, want to hear something funny? Before I sent that away I pastebinned it and asked a couple people to proof it, and one of them told me that I should have swapped it the other way. Without even really paying attention or thinking I did, and it turns out I was right all along. :lol:

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, a ridiculous opportunity just presented itself. Let me break it down as best as I can

My dad gets a 25% discount from his employer on the Sprint network. He just got the Evo 4g (as did my little brother) and I seriously love this phone to death. I could even get used to the non-qwerty keyboard. The plan is ridiculously cheaper if I join it, too (discount and rates, etc). I'd essentially get an Evo for 150.00 (Right?) and join a network that destroys AT&T. It seems like a no brainer, but here are my concerns -

I really want to wait for a winmo7 phone. I mean, I think it'd be ridiculously convenient to have my zune and phone integrated as one instead of holding two devices. I want a WM7 but I don't know when/what carrier is going to have it. If I knew sprint would get it, I'd suffer and go sprint and have an Evo4g and have comfort in knowing that I'd have a winmo7 phone as an option if I could sell the Evo4g. I mean, I know that ATT will definitely get one (GSM, etc).

I need to save money as best as I can. If I were to join Sprint, I'd be able to get back on their family plan and get that phone for free (thank my dad's employer). I would essentially pay nothing... and I would only need to cough up the money for the rate, if anything, which would be cheaper. I mean, I'd be getting a better service and a great android phone. My main concern is eliminating as much of my current expenses because I'm planning on starting medical school next fall (yes, I know).

So, long story short, I guess I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do. I mean, I know the Sprint network is great and cheap(er). I have heard nothing but great things from the Evo. Is there ANY reason I should wait for a WinMo7 phone now?

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    WinMo is launching in October, eventually for all major carriers but it's not known for whom first. I'd say likely an early go with Verizon, probably AT&T, iffy on TMo/Sprint's timelines.

Honestly unless Zunepass support, the mobile X-Box Live shit, and a heavier focus on gaming are important to you, get an Evo, enjoy the shit out of a great phone at a super cheap price, be fruitful and multiply.

I know Android has a few of those pharmaceutical database apps that med students/professionals are always using. Not sure on how fast they'd put that out for WinMo7.

Edit for my terrible, terrible grammar.

JAEF on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really really want to get behind WinMo7, but honestly Microsoft doesn't have a chance in hell of coming close to the utility offered by iOS or Android within the next year. They've just got too much catch up to do.

I'd love a zunephone as much as anyone else who's used a zune pass, but I think I might just ending up with a smartphone in one hand, zuneHD in another until MS has some time to let WinMo7 get a bit more complete featureset.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Lol, want to hear something funny? Before I sent that away I pastebinned it and asked a couple people to proof it, and one of them told me that I should have swapped it the other way. Without even really paying attention or thinking I did, and it turns out I was right all along. :lol:

It's not a major thing, just looks like an auto correct error. I do wonder where this confusion comes from though, I never saw this particular grammar faux pas when I was going through school.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png