MIXED MARTIAL ARTS (nsf pussies)

14567810»

• Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I watched the fight and felt like Silva was being a bit of a dick.

Offering to help your opponent up when he falls down during the match instead of capitalizing on it is basically saying "Haha, I don't even need to fight you for real to win"

and then he drops his hands and just jukes Griffin's punches like it's not even hard.

Silva, you are a fucking death machine. We get it. You're faster than everyone. We get it. You don't gotta embarrass a man like that.

It's one thing to lose a match, it's another to lose a match to an opponent who goes out of his way to make fun of you while you are fighting.

I don't know, fighting, like most sports, is as much, if not more, mental as it is physical. I don't see why attacking your opponents mind is worse than attacking his body. Also, it sends out a message to everyone else that he is going to fight, shows them what he is capable of, makes them afraid.

Seems like sound tactics to me.

It's disrespectful and unprofessional.

Any kind of fighting sport is inherently very dangerous and if your opponent doesn't respect you and doesn't act professionally, things can go very badly.

When I fought, I respected my opponent. Even when I was young and full of myself and cocky, I wasn't disrespectful and rude towards the guy I was fighting.

So, I expect and demand respectful and professional conduct from professional fighters. Anything less is an invitation to start turning things into a bloodsport.

Yeah I agree entirely. there's room for a little showmanship and theatricality, but not between bells.

Like what Lesnar did after the fight, entertaining and ultimately harmless, but Silva shouldn't be doing that kind of stuff in the middle of the fight, that's how people get hurt.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are a few of people in the world of martial arts that could give lesnar a run, but most of them either compete in one-range sports or don't want to cut to 265. Personally, I want to see lesnar/Velasquez

Some guy who works for an MMA blog, or magazine likes to go on sparring sessions with MMA guys. I think it was Machida, or somebody(maybe the strikeforce guy who's name starts with a c?) kicked his calf muscle off the bone. he wanted to do a session with Velazquez and everyone told him he would get literally killed.

I'd like to see that fight as well, he's fighting Carwin next, right?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Offering to help your opponent up when he falls down during the match instead of capitalizing on it is basically saying "Haha, I don't even need to fight you for real to win"

and then he drops his hands and just jukes Griffin's punches like it's not even hard.

Silva, you are a fucking death machine. We get it. You're faster than everyone. We get it. You don't gotta embarrass a man like that.

It's one thing to lose a match, it's another to lose a match to an opponent who goes out of his way to make fun of you while you are fighting.

I don't know, fighting, like most sports, is as much, if not more, mental as it is physical. I don't see why attacking your opponents mind is worse than attacking his body. Also, it sends out a message to everyone else that he is going to fight, shows them what he is capable of, makes them afraid.

Any kind of fighting sport is inherently very dangerous and if your opponent doesn't respect you and doesn't act professionally, things can go very badly.

When I fought, I respected my opponent. Even when I was young and full of myself and cocky, I wasn't disrespectful and rude towards the guy I was fighting.

So, I expect and demand respectful and professional conduct from professional fighters. Anything less is an invitation to start turning things into a bloodsport.

Yeah I agree entirely. there's room for a little showmanship and theatricality, but not between bells.

Like what Lesnar did after the fight, entertaining and ultimately harmless, but Silva shouldn't be doing that kind of stuff in the middle of the fight, that's how people get hurt.

Exactly. You want to hoot and holler and talk shit outside of the fight, whatever.

In the ring, you act like a professional and you show respect. You stop doing that, and that's when people end up getting dirty shots on them by guys who they enrage.

If you're a skilled fighter, you don't need to piss your opponent off into getting sloppy. Fight based on your skill, not on your ability to be a douchebag.

Pony on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    There are a few of people in the world of martial arts that could give lesnar a run, but most of them either compete in one-range sports or don't want to cut to 265. Personally, I want to see lesnar/Velasquez

War Carwin!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Exactly. You want to hoot and holler and talk shit outside of the fight, whatever.

In the ring, you act like a professional and you show respect. You stop doing that, and that's when people end up getting dirty shots on them by guys who they enrage.

If you're a skilled fighter, you don't need to piss your opponent off into getting sloppy. Fight based on your skill, not on your ability to be a douchebag.

I'm going to have to disagree, for the most part. MMA, overwhelmingly in my experience, with the exception of the behavior UFC encourages, is a sport where huge rivalries can start up and shit-talking is fierce PRE-fight. Once the fight is done, it's done. The shit-talking stops, the nastiness is gone. You shake hands and call it a day. This has been my personal experience, certainly.

As for the whole Silva mind-games, I really think you're looking at it with a bit of a psychological bias. I don't think Silva was going out of his way to be a dick to him, I honestly believe he was using the mental aspect to his advantage.

I don't know how you can say that Griffin's touch-gloves after the near-groin shot was respectful, but Silva's bowing to his opponent was disrespectful.

Dropping his hands is something plenty of pros do when they outclass their opponent while striking because it isn't just about mind games, it's about concealed counter-punching, which is exactly how he finished the fight. Silva is like that, he switches how he's throwing to keep you on your toes. The dude goes from ortho to southpaw regularly for Christ's sake.

I dunno. I think if you can look at Anderson Silva's behaviour and think he's a disrespectful turd inthe ring and is bad for MMA's atmosphere, I think you're looking for a reason to hate on him.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'm going to have to disagree, for the most part. MMA, overwhelmingly in my experience, with the exception of the behavior UFC encourages, is a sport where huge rivalries can start up and shit-talking is fierce PRE-fight. Once the fight is done, it's done. The shit-talking stops, the nastiness is gone. You shake hands and call it a day. This has been my personal experience, certainly.

As for the whole Silva mind-games, I really think you're looking at it with a bit of a psychological bias. I don't think Silva was going out of his way to be a dick to him, I honestly believe he was using the mental aspect to his advantage.

I don't know how you can say that Griffin's touch-gloves after the near-groin shot was respectful, but Silva's bowing to his opponent was disrespectful.

Dropping his hands is something plenty of pros do when they outclass their opponent while striking because it isn't just about mind games, it's about concealed counter-punching, which is exactly how he finished the fight. Silva is like that, he switches how he's throwing to keep you on your toes. The dude goes from ortho to southpaw regularly for Christ's sake.

I dunno. I think if you can look at Anderson Silva's behaviour and think he's a disrespectful turd inthe ring and is bad for MMA's atmosphere, I think you're looking for a reason to hate on him.

I was specifically thinking about the second time Griffin went down and Silva bent over to help him up.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I was specifically thinking about the second time Griffin went down and Silva bent over to help him up.

Same. That was disrespectful. That was making fun of your opponent during a match, and that's not okay.

Pony on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009

Some guy who works for an MMA blog, or magazine likes to go on sparring sessions with MMA guys. I think it was Machida, or somebody(maybe the strikeforce guy who's name starts with a c?) kicked his calf muscle off the bone. he wanted to do a session with Velazquez and everyone told him he would get literally killed.

I'd like to see that fight as well, he's fighting Carwin next, right?

Yeah, UFC 104 I believe.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The funny thing is I think velasquez has a better shot against lesnar than carwin, but carwin is about 60/40 vs velasquez.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Same. That was disrespectful. That was making fun of your opponent during a match, and that's not okay.

Just rewatched it. I guess. Do you really see that one thing as "Holy shit, he's such a dick in the ring"? I don't see it being much different than, say, Filipovic walking away and looking disappointed at a fighter who stays on his back. It's saying the same thing. "I'm not afraid of you standing up, I want you to stand up." The only extra is offering the hand, and frankly I'd put that down to Silva's sense of humour before any kind of malicious put-down. He's a funny dude. Did you see the face he had on when the crowd was booing him in the intros?

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I dunno man. Brock Lesnar is a huge fucking gorilla. And pretty skillful! I mean, look what he did to Frank Mir, and Mir is one of the better heavyweights around.

He's just so fucking strong. I can definitely see Fedor beating him, if not just because Fedor has made a career of pummeling huge fucking ape-men like Lesnar into a bloody heap.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hong man choi is not really comparable to Lesnar.

are you calling Kevin Randleman an ape-man (racist)?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That would be a great match, but Fedor will never make it into the UFC with the management he currently has. Fuck M-1 Global.

And on the subject of whether or not Silva was being disrespectful, I like and respect all guys who come into sports like MMA, wrestling, boxing, and other sports that have a huge potential for injury. I respect Silva. I respect Griffin. I don't respect unnecessary taunts and stalling of fights. If you got a guy hurt, don't put your arms down, finish the job. I don't respect running out of the ring the instant the match ends unless you have a major injury. And as far as I know, Griffin doesn't have one.

I can't really fault Griffin for wanting to get out of there ASAP, however. The man got embarassed in front of everybody watching at home, at the bar, and at the arena. It got to the point where Silva didn't even appear to be trying. I still like and respect the two fighters, but I don't respect the things Silva did during the match (taunts), or what Griffin did after the match (running out of the arena). Just like I respect and like Lesnar, but don't respect him flipping off the fans and trashtalking Mir after he whooped him.

That said, 19 days till I see Thiago Silva whoop Keith Jardine, and Randy Couture either barely beats Antonio Noguiera, or gets retired by Noguiera. C'mon UFC 102!

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dynagrip I will rape you.

I will rape you until you die.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Nah that's not racist, but calling Lesnar a gorilla is!
    You're right though. Fedor has never been against someone of Lesnar's size who also has his wrestling ability. I also think that Lesnar is a smarter fighter, his game plan against Mir was solid.
    I still want to see Fedor destroy Lesnar like he did to Silvia though.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SLAMMUSLAMMU Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

You're right though. Fedor has never been against someone of Lesnar's size who also has his wrestling ability. I also think that Lesnar is a smarter fighter, his game plan against Mir was solid.

Mabye i'm forgetting something, but wasnt lesnar's plan for Mir basically hold him down and hit him until the ref stopped him?

Don't get me wrong, it worked great for him, but I would say that is more because he is insanely big and strong then him being a smart fighter

SLAMMU on
    SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Finally got my god damned mouthguard today.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SLAMMU wrote: »

Mabye i'm forgetting something, but wasnt lesnar's plan for Mir basically hold him down and hit him until the ref stopped him?

Don't get me wrong, it worked great for him, but I would say that is more because he is insanely big and strong then him being a smart fighter

He knows he's big and strong, thus the smart thing to do would be to take advantage of that and lay on top of Mir and punch him until the ref stopped it.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

He knows he's big and strong, thus the smart thing to do would be to take advantage of that and lay on top of Mir and punch him until the ref stopped it.

I think I worded that badly

He definantly knows his strengths and how to use them, but I can't think of anything he has shown where he can adapt to a different fight if someone counters him there

SLAMMU on
    SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What channel(s) does UFC play on?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Spike mostly

If you get VS you can catch some WEC fights there

SLAMMU on
    SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    What channel(s) does UFC play on?

Live events on PPV usually. The free and old stuff is shown on Spike.

I think I worded that badly

He definantly knows his strengths and how to use them, but I can't think of anything he has shown where he can adapt to a different fight if someone counters him there

Well, we will see when he actually has to adapt! You're right though, he may not be very smart himself but at least his team has so far come up with plans that use his advantages well, except for that time Mir tapped him anyway.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know who else watched the Carano/Cyborg fight last night, but

Jesus, Cyborg scares the hell out of me

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't know who else watched the Carano/Cyborg fight last night, but

Jesus, Cyborg scares the hell out of me

they should never have made gina fight a man. it just isn't fair.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cyborg is the female Wanderlei Silva who in turn is the real life Baraka.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I liked how every time Cyborg took down Carano, Carano ended up in mount.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think they should have let the fight move on to the second round.

Cyborg is fucking scary though and I was pulling for Gina.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So that cyborg could have definitively taken Carano's lunch money?

http://i29.tinypic.com/2lxdohw.jpg

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gina's just gotta go back to the beginning

See that look in Cyborg's eyes?

Eye of the tiger, Gina

Eye of the tiger

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    couldn't Carano not be interviewed because she was receiving medical treatment?

it did get called with a second to go though, right? that does kind of suck.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh hey my dad works at the place that had that fight

awesome

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hooooly shit

that was some straight up "i'm afraid of dying" face

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It did get called with a second to go though, right? that does kind of suck.

Nah, it's the same as Forrest, she ran out because she felt bad, not that there is shame in that.

But did anyone else think that fight was terrible? Both of them looked like amateurs, the wrestling in particular was just embarassing. If that is the best women's MMA has to offer, it might need a little more time in the oven, so to speak.

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Indica1 wrote: »

Nah, it's the same as Forrest, she ran out because she felt bad, not that there is shame in that.

But did anyone else think that fight was terrible? Both of them looked like amateurs, the wrestling in particular was just embarassing. If that is the best women's MMA has to offer, it might need a little more time in the oven, so to speak.

well, i mean... they are women.

expecting them to be good at anything really is setting yourself up for a fall.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    but they've got fundamentals!

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Indica1 wrote: »

well, i mean... they are women.

expecting them to be good at anything really is setting yourself up for a fall.

Theres really no excuse for sucking that much, i don't care how many ovaries they have.

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.