Options

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS (nsf pussies)

• Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Kind of like in an RPG when you're fighting a boss but you've trained and you're way overlevelled so you can destroy him with just regular attacks.

Javen what styles do you train in?

Also how do you like fighting?

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty strictly Muay Thai. To my own detriment I really have no experience grappling.

Also I like fighting very much! Fighting and breaking bread with the same dude mere hours apart carries a certain amount of satisfaction.

Javen on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm considering gaining weight so I can be in another weight class.

I don't really want to be a featherweight anymore.

Javen on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I would call one of my old Senseis a wizard. He used some of the most basic techniques you could imagine but man could that mother fucker take you out.

Yes. My instructor would punch you and you would not be able to keep fighting, on account of you got punched too good. He has been teaching for over 40 years and really knows his shit. That's mastery.

i used to have a really arrogant attitude towards karate

i used to be all like "pfft, karate, that's what they teach fat kids with no self esteem at the YMCA, pfft"

i would look at basic karate techniques and chortle at the superiority of my clearly more powerful muay thai

then i actually stepped into the ring with a black belt in karate for the first time and he beat the shit out of me, using the most basic moves that they teach you just when you are starting, but with such speed and technique that i got destroyed

there's this very basic karate strike, i have no idea what the formal name for it is but it's this straight forward strike that you make with your forearm. it's such a basic karate move that it appears in pretty much every movie or video game featuring karate

i would see that move in fiction and stuff and be like "that shit is retarded"

then i actually got hit with it and it fractured my sternum

so

even the very most basic moves in the hands of someone who is trained and experienced enough can be completely devastating.

ain't gotta be fancy or advanced.

Pony on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know that one guy in your club that just seems to wreck shop?

Every club usually has one.

In all my years studying/teaching martial arts the best one I had ever come across was a dude named Brendon.

He was the nicest man you could ever meet.

However, he was 6 ' 8 and a professional triathlete and was built like a tank.

Grappling with him was always a blast because his pure strength was incredible.

I once had him in a great arm bar on the ground and he just stood up.

Leaving me more or less dangling from that redwood tree he called his arm.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Defender wrote: »
    I would call one of my old Senseis a wizard. He used some of the most basic techniques you could imagine but man could that mother fucker take you out.

Yes. My instructor would punch you and you would not be able to keep fighting, on account of you got punched too good. He has been teaching for over 40 years and really knows his shit. That's mastery.

i used to have a really arrogant attitude towards karate

i used to be all like "pfft, karate, that's what they teach fat kids with no self esteem at the YMCA, pfft"

i would look at basic karate techniques and chortle at the superiority of my clearly more powerful muay thai

then i actually stepped into the ring with a black belt in karate for the first time and he beat the shit out of me, using the most basic moves that they teach you just when you are starting, but with such speed and technique that i got destroyed

there's this very basic karate strike, i have no idea what the formal name for it is but it's this straight forward strike that you make with your forearm. it's such a basic karate move that it appears in pretty much every movie or video game featuring karate

i would see that move in fiction and stuff and be like "that shit is retarded"

then i actually got hit with it and it fractured my sternum

so

even the very most basic moves in the hands of someone who is trained and experienced enough can be completely devastating.

ain't gotta be fancy or advanced.

What made karate suck was all the strip mall McDojos being taught by someone who had no business teaching anything but they wanted to just to cash in. The actual techniques are good, you just gotta be careful about who you learn them from.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited July 2009

In all my years studying/teaching martial arts the best one I had ever come across was a dude named Brendon.

my sanshou instructor tried very hard to disavow people of the notion that size is irrelevant

a lot of martial arts schools in north america seem to push very hard this idea that the size of your opponent is unimportant and that smaller fighters might even have the advantage

this may be true in some contexts. for example, a small guy with martial arts training versus a gigantic lummox who doesn't know how to fight, the big guy's size is not enough to overcome the small guy's technique, most of the time.

but in a contest between two trained fighters who have similar styles and levels of experience, the guy who is simply larger and stronger is going to have an advantage most of the time.

weight classes exist for a reason, after all.

if i'm fighting against a guy who is 160 lbs. (I'm 230 lbs.) and he's not my clear superior in terms of technique and/or experience, he's in for a world of hurt. he might be several times my speed as a result of his smaller size and lower weight, but if i hit him at all he's usually fucked.

which makes sparring hilarious sometimes, for mismatches like the one you mentioned

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

my sanshou instructor tried very hard to disavow people of the notion that size is irrelevant

a lot of martial arts schools in north america seem to push very hard this idea that the size of your opponent is unimportant and that smaller fighters might even have the advantage

this may be true in some contexts. for example, a small guy with martial arts training versus a gigantic lummox who doesn't know how to fight, the big guy's size is not enough to overcome the small guy's technique, most of the time.

but in a contest between two trained fighters who have similar styles and levels of experience, the guy who is simply larger and stronger is going to have an advantage most of the time.

weight classes exist for a reason, after all.

if i'm fighting against a guy who is 160 lbs. (I'm 230 lbs.) and he's not my clear superior in terms of technique and/or experience, he's in for a world of hurt. he might be several times my speed as a result of his smaller size and lower weight, but if i hit him at all he's usually fucked.

which makes sparring hilarious sometimes, for mismatches like the one you mentioned

One of my old instructors gave me the best advice when it came to fighting.

He told me

"There are some men that for no rhyme or reason will not go down. If you ever find yourself facing one of these opponents, throw your wallet at him and run like hell."

Tasteticle on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    UFC 1, the very first fight, Savate vs Sumo (no weight classes, AFAIK):

Fight starts at 4:50

Fuck.

EDIT: I realize I came in at a very convenient time with the whole size thing, but this is not about that at all

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    snip

hur dur

more like "theonewhosaysdumbshit"

edit: also savat is fucking bad-ass.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    UFC 1, the very first fight, Savate vs Sumo (no weight classes, AFAIK):

Fight starts at 4:50

Fuck.

not letting this get BoTP'd

EDIT: also this:

Crucifix at 1:36

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I watched this Discovery Channel thing about Savat. It was neat.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    I'm pretty strictly Muay Thai. To my own detriment I really have no experience grappling.

Also I like fighting very much! Fighting and breaking bread with the same dude mere hours apart carries a certain amount of satisfaction.

How long have you been training?

• Options
    TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    snip

hur dur

At least Defender tried to address what he thought was bullshit with actual, y'know, reasoning. You watch your UFC and think it's world class MMA across the board, pal. Stay in your world. You're the MMA viewer equivalent of a YouTube comment.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    also if you don't want to watch the videos, at least consider this line from the first one:

"that's where the tooth came out"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Too true. Sparring with a guy way over your ability level or who physically outclasses you is actually the funnest sparring I have. And naturally, usually the most educational.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    snip

hur dur

At least Defender tried to address what he thought was bullshit with actual, y'know, reasoning. You watch your UFC and think it's world class MMA across the board, pal. Stay in your world. You're the MMA viewer equivalent of a YouTube comment.

All you have done is come in here and talk shit about UFC fighters.

if you don't like it bring up another promotion that you think has world class fighters and talk about them. I don't think that any other promotion out there has the depth of talent that UFC currently has. PRIDE had pretty good fighters before they were absorbed into the UFC. Affliction is pretty decent, and BodogFight is not to bad either.

• Options
    edited July 2009
    snip

hur dur

I take comfort in the fact that I'm not the dude who thinks I'm better than everyone because I'm A REAL FAN, MAN.

Elitist cock-sock.

Also Defender does that because that's what Defender does. He defends things with really succinct, well thought out and put together responses and occasionally graphically offensive expletives.

I just call people names so they know that I want them to get AIDS.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    snip

hur dur

All you have done is come in here and talk shit about UFC fighters.

if you don't like it bring up another promotion that you think has world class fighters and talk about them. I don't think that any other promotion out there has the depth of talent that UFC currently has. PRIDE had pretty good fighters before they were absorbed into the UFC. Affliction is pretty decent, and BodogFight is not to bad either.

Again, I'm not saying that UFC fighters are all terrible. Far from it. I'm saying that the UFC's method of marketing is hurting the sport because of its trend towards exclusivity and arbitrary favoritism. And I believe the MMA viewing public that hasn't educated themselves are being misled into believing the UFC's fighters outclass the rest in the world.

In either case, good point. The collection of talent in Bodog is pretty good. Affliction I think will soon be stacked with better fighters across the board. Right now its just their light-heavy and heavyweights that are keeping my attention. I heard they were trying to get Takanori Gomi to do a few fights outside of DREAM, but they wanted to match him to welters who didn't want to drop down in weight, and he didn't want to gain.

When it comes to light, welter and middle, nothing beats DREAM. Shinya Aoki is fucking insane. Joachim Hansen has the most brutal knee knockout I've ever seen.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    on one hand, duder, you are saying you are bitching about UFC's marketing and how it's leaving the false impression that UFC is the be-all end-all of MMA and that UFC's fighters are the best ever

which is an agreeable enough point, i suppose

but on the other, you're trying to underline this point by attacking specific fighters and how well they may be regarded by others with arguments that are more than a little hollow

make your point differently, chief, and people won't be shitting on you.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    snip

hur dur

I take comfort in the fact that I'm not the dude who thinks I'm better than everyone because I'm A REAL FAN, MAN.

Elitist cock-sock.

Also Defender does that because that's what Defender does. He defends things with really succinct, well thought out and put together responses and occasionally graphically offensive expletives.

I just call people names so they know that I want them to get AIDS.

Dude, chill. I watch UFC. I don't think I'm better than the general public. I just care about the sport because I've been involved in it and have a deep appreciation for it. I'm worried that North America will fuck it like it fucked up boxing. Although boxing is sort of recovering, so, there is that. I want the MMA viewing public in North America to get a fair shot at seeing the truly remarkable talent that currently exists outside the UFC.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    on one hand, duder, you are saying you are bitching about UFC's marketing and how it's leaving the false impression that UFC is the be-all end-all of MMA and that UFC's fighters are the best ever

but on the other, you're trying to underline this point by attacking specific fighters and how well they may be regarded by others with arguments that are more than a little hollow

You can easily take the huge post I made, and remove the points about Lesnar and Penn. My major problem is with the marketing and contracting that White is doing.

You're totally right in that the other points are way more subjective and hence makes them easier to criticize.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dana White is kind of a Douche Bag, but you can't deny that he has grown the brand

• Options
    edited July 2009

You can easily take the huge post I made, and remove the points about Lesnar and Penn. My major problem is with the marketing and contracting that White is doing.

You're totally right in that the other points are way more subjective and hence makes them easier to criticize.

well then

take that to heart then

and in the future try to make a more clear point without muddying what you are trying to say with a bunch of subjective opinionating.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I would whole-heatedly agree with you on that. He has grown the UFC brand. He has not grown the sport at is has been internationally understood.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    dude bro i'm totally gonna start taking classes at this MMA training place

if i had a nickel for every retarded tough guy i heard say that

i'd have a few nickels

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

well then

take that to heart then

and in the future try to make a more clear point without muddying what you are trying to say with a bunch of subjective opinionating.

Eh, I thought it might illustrate the point a bit. Specifically the progress of Brock's career. That's pretty clear evidence in and of itself.

The B J Penn addition was really me being a cunt because I'm tired of hearing Joe Rogan verbally sucking his dick every time he speaks. And people get so up in arms about him, going off of so very little.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fallout wrote: »

i'd have a few nickels

I know two guys exactly like that.

They annoy me greatly.

Tasteticle on

• Options
    edited July 2009

i'd have a few nickels

i would be instantly suspicious of any place that says they teach "MMA"

that screams bullshit to me on a very profound level.

if a person wants to learn "MMA" they should, you know

learn martial arts

and then mix them

creating... mixed martial arts

guys who say they are learning "MMA" are probably retards and suckers.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    woah woah pony slow down with that moon speak

Tasteticle on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9lN-t-Oy5Q

Skip to 2:40 if you just want the coldest, baddest knee knockout you'll ever see.

Imanari is barely on his ass after taking it and Hansen is already walking back to his corner.

He did the same thing to Luis Azeredo.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

i'd have a few nickels

learn martial arts

and then mix them

Yeah, there's a place in Edmonton called "The Combat Zone", that offers "Mixed Martial Arts Training Sessions". Fuck sakes.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

i'd have a few nickels

learn martial arts

and then mix them

Pretty much

In related news a friend of mine says he is giving serious thought to going into MMA

He is (a) a boxer, (b) taking Judo, and (c) about two metres tall and almost twice my weight

But (d) I am convinced he is going to get his arse kicked by the murderous bastards who will no doubt populate his weight category so I'm hoping he changes his mind

I know we've got the cage fight tournies up north but not sure what he'd be dealing with in the capital, I bet they're mean

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i think a boxer/judo background would do alright in an mma setting

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i always find the term "cage fight" really weird

despite people on here saying that i claim to be a "cage fighter"

i've never actually fought in a cage in my whole life

there was this one time where these dudes tried to sorta make a cage but it was garbage

even the unlicensed fighting i did was either in a ring, or it was just on some mats or the ground in a circle or something

i don't think i've even ever attended a real "cage fight"

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    See if he was anyone else but the guy I'd known for 15 years I'd be fine with it

I guess I'm just concerned that he's going to go toe to toe with Roidy McHuge and get bashed around a lot

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i always find the term "cage fight" really weird

despite people on here saying that i claim to be a "cage fighter"

i've never actually fought in a cage in my whole life

there was this one time where these dudes tried to sorta make a cage but it was garbage

even the unlicensed fighting i did was either in a ring, or it was just on some mats or the ground in a circle or something

i don't think i've even ever attended a real "cage fight"

Said cage fights? In a regular ring.

I have no idea why they'd call them cage fights in the promotions and posters, it's probably to appeal to the ravening idiots up here who associate the term with bloodletting

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    See if he was anyone else but the guy I'd known for 15 years I'd be fine with it

I guess I'm just concerned that he's going to go toe to toe with Roidy McHuge and get bashed around a lot

well i mean that's a risk in any kind of real competitive fighting

obviously, the risk of running into some roided up, honorless bag of shit who gets off on hurting people is much higher in the amateur and semi-pro MMA scene compared to say

just doing tae kwon do tournies

but really, any kind of full contact fighting competitions in any context carries the risk of taking on people who are assholes that just want to fuck you up

and even when you are fighting people who aren't deliberately looking to damage you beyond what is needed

there is still the risk inherent in the fact that you are in a fight competition

i have been seriously injured and have seriously injured people in fights where there was no malice or deliberate effort to injure involved

it's just a reality of, you know

choosing a sport where you are beating the shit out of each other

Pony on
  • Options
    Franklin Chang-DiazFranklin Chang-Diaz __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    hi im an expert in many martial arts including sudoku :) if you need tips please pm me

Franklin Chang-Diaz on
    211rx4o.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cage fights are intense because they're in a caaaage

the fighters are trapped! nowhere to go! :twisted:

as opposed to a regular match, where they are only trapped in the ring by the... rules

i'd have a few nickels

learn martial arts

and then mix them

there are places that teach "MMA", but yeah, they're total hackjob faghovels

i can't believe retards buy into that shit

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png