Options

The Bitching About Bad Comics Thread

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I don't understand why people like Millar so much. Everything he's written since he got a name for himself writing Ultimate X-Men is basically supposed to be directed by Michael Bay. It's not good at all.

He's had some good stuff, just not recently. Superman: Red Son was great, and I really enjoyed his Authority run. But his stuff today is way overrated, like Kick-Ass and Old Man Logan.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Super Man: Red Son is indeed superb.

I think Old Man Logan might stand better as a whole than it does as an issue by issue series.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Has Old Man Logan finished yet? I haven't seen the finale.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I don't know, I can't think of one villain the showed in Old Man Logan that isn't at least a bit mustache twirly.

Well, most villains didn't appear in Old Man Logan. The whole fight that sets the stage for the series takes place off-screen, after all.

One example that comes to mind, however, is Mysterio. Why the hell would Mysterio aid in the collapse of civilization?

And of course, there's the fact that Magneto is supposed to have teamed up with Red Skull in that big fight.

Was that original Mysterio or a new one? I dont know what new Mysterio is like.

Skulls role was pretty fitting, but yeah you're right, most of those in Hoods outfit are low level costumed villains interested in money because they want it or need it and theyre tired of being manhandled by super heroes even when they aren't out villaining, just because of who they are.

I think thats the key to having The Hood organisation work, for the low level super-thugs, they should just be motivated by money and it's acquisition. When you're not somebody like Doctor Doom and you just live in an apartment somewhere killing a superhero should be like kill a cop.

Having The Hoods crew as the 'beat up the hero and then leave when they aren't in a condition to chase you down'' level of violence set allows them to have enough victories to remain a credible threat without things becoming Ultimatum.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    I don't understand why people like Millar so much. Everything he's written since he got a name for himself writing Ultimate X-Men is basically supposed to be directed by Michael Bay. It's not good at all.

He's had some good stuff, just not recently. Superman: Red Son was great, and I really enjoyed his Authority run. But his stuff today is way overrated, like Kick-Ass and Old Man Logan.

I'd disagree about Old Man Logan but I've only read about half of it so far.

But 1985 is the best work he's ever done.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, who the fuck thought X-Force was a good idea?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Current X-Force has been really good so far.

But, to answer your question literally, Cyclops did.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Huh, I've looked through the previews and have seen absolutely nothing good worth mentioning.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh and kevin smith has never written a single good comic book ever

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kevin Smith isn't even a good writer, why does the industry pretend he is

And he told a story on Leno about how his excess weight made a toilet come off of a wall and it went everywhere. Gross.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Huh, I've looked through the previews and have seen absolutely nothing good worth mentioning.

Not sure what to tell you. They've done interesting things with Wolfsbane and especially Angel during the series. It's actually been full of really interesting, profound changes for the characters and it's only at issue 15. Wolverine is just kind of there, but X-23 and Domino are awesome as always. The addition of Foley to the team was inspired, considering their mission and the fact that he's a healer trying to keep his dark side at bay.

I don't really know what you expected to see when looking through the Previews, but I will say that you probably have to read the comic to get a sense of what they're doing in it. A lot of the stuff doesn't lend itself to a quick summary.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2009

[/I]

But what about..........................

Holy crap, you're right. I never realized before that Kevin Smith sucks. I love this thread.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

And he told a story on Leno about how his excess weight made a toilet come off of a wall and it went everywhere. Gross.

some of his movies are good sometimes

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't know... after finishing his comic about the Black Cat being raped, I felt as though I had been as well.

Isn't that the sign of good writing? Making you feel what the characters feel?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I find it amusing that Kevin Smith's comics are wordy as hell. They are just thick with dialog. Yet the character he plays in his movies is "silent" Bob.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    have you ever seen his movies

dude loves people talking and talking and talking and talking

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fucking extra Earth for no reason that will never be mentioned again. Goddamn "Doom's Master", super-the-most-best villain that's basically just a 1985 cameo and will, again, never been mentioned again.

You know there is a mini-series about the extra earth, right?

I guarantee that it will not move beyond that, except if Millar brings it up again. Also, that series is godawful as well, I just give it a pass because it's a crappy spin off that I didn't expect much from.

Also, DarkWarrior your expectations are incredibly easy to fuck with.

I've seen the "Bad Guys WIN?!?!?!????" thing done so many times it is now an expectation of mine. Nine out of ten times, it's "Ah! So they worked together?" as though no one had ever thought of that before. And occasionally it's hilarious. Like in Old Man Logan, didn't Millar have Magneto working with the Red Skull?

Edit: and yeah, Smith likes having everyone but him talk like it's saving their life.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Dark X-Men have the worst roster ever. Isn't it about 15 years late to have Cloak and Dagger on your team? And Mimic? Does anybody even remember how crappy the non-Exiles version of Mimic is going to be? And the one character that could have save this team from being shit is Namor, but the writer seems to forget who he's even writing.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    hey hey

Dark Beast, son

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    I think the way we were meant to take it is The Hood essentially established a super villains union. They stick with him because it's a job that comes with health cover, being bailed out of jail, crap like that.

Man, I hope Bendis doesn't think he's being super-original with that one. Mark Gruenwald's Captain America from the 80s had a years-long subplot about Sidewinder taking over the Serpent Society by giving everyone health care, 401(k) plans, and legal representation, and all of them - even Puff Adder, whose power was to be a fat guy with fangs - were like twenty times cooler than The Hood.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    hey hey

Dark Beast, son

Okay, I'll give you that. But is he even part of the team? We know he's going to stab Osborn in the back before Utopia is all said and done.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I am pretty sure he is part of the team

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Dark X-Men have the worst roster ever. Isn't it about 15 years late to have Cloak and Dagger on your team? And Mimic? Does anybody even remember how crappy the non-Exiles version of Mimic is going to be? And the one character that could have save this team from being shit is Namor, but the writer seems to forget who he's even writing.

If this was the Bitching About Bad Tastes thread, I would unleash

Namor is amazing. Emma is cool and it'll be nice to see where she's going with this. It's nice to see Cloak and Dagger actually in stuff. 616 Mimic has me interested from the Dark X-Men oneshot. It even has Mystique! Daken! Weapon Omega is pretty much the only one on the team I can say whatevs about.

The team is exploding with awesome.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    faynor you didn't talk enough about dark beast

is he another character you should love but don't because you a jive sucka

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Come on... there's nothing overly interesting about Dark Beast. Except his ability to be the most incompetent genius in the Marvel Universe.

Yes yes, he's science unrestrained by morality... how about adding another dimension to that cliche?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    he created the morlocks

also he is awesome

and you suck

Dark Beast 4eva

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought the Morlocks predated the Age of Apocalypse. Did he go back in time when he went to the 616 universe?

Also, Sentry's right.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How did he create the morlocks if his world didn't exist then?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I thought the Morlocks predated the Age of Apocalypse. Did he go back in time when he went to the 616 universe?

yes

he totally went back in time when he was thrown out of the Age of Apocalypse

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Did he go back in time when he went to the 616 universe?

yes

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    When he came to 616, he went into the past, if I remember right.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    nobody ain't know nothin' bout no Dark Beast son

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Look, for a one-off villain, he's fine. But they keep trying to shoehorn him into these different events and it just becomes trite. He's Joseph Mengele if he was a furry, fine... but after a while he's just kinda stupid. You'd think someone they were writing to be that much of an evil genius would have a little vision, instead of playing a big game of What-If, Vivisection Edition for the rest of his life.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You'd think he would've done more damage to the past than creating a bunch of deformed sewer babies.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    HEY TLB
    Also! This isn't the thread to defend to the death your favorite creator or series. This isn't a GET ANGRY AT EACH OTHER FOR OPINIONS thread, this is a GET THE SHIT OFF YOUR CHEST SO YOU CAN DISCUSS THINGS RATIONALLY ELSEWHERE thread.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    BLANK SHUT UP AND DRAW ALREADY

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

some of his movies are good sometimes

No, they aren't. And they certainly do not hold up with time.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    dangit crimson

I almost respected you

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Saying anything good about Kevin Smith is a deal-breaker.

I keep thinking there's something I really mean to bitch about, but can't quite put my finger on it. I mean, I try not to bitch about comics I read because that generally makes me look like a tard for reading them in the first place. But at the same time I seem to have a lot more regret reading stuff that came out not too long ago while still harboring my nostalgia for the books I read before the break even though I haven't read 99% of them (not that I have many as it is) in a long time. But I hate the fact that it seems like, especially with the events and banners at Marvel that it very easily instills a sense of buyer's remorse. I mean, I was hyped as fuck for Dark Reign and now I'm probably one of the most vocally opposed to it on GV because ... I don't know. It just seems to have no point or something.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    oh and kevin smith has never written a single good comic book ever

Hey fuck you Guardian Devil and the first two arcs of Green Arrow owned pretty goddamn hard

Me Too! on
This discussion has been closed.