As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC - 4E DnD] Artist of Sharn

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To be fair, Tavar has a shield power built into Storm Magic. He can end his resistances until the end of the encounter to gain a +4 bonus to all defenses until the end of my next turn. Aegeri just rolled really well against him such that each attack he made beat my potentially boosted defenses by one or two every time.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was pleased how that encounter went. It could honestly have been really horrible and completely confusing, but it worked well and I think was a bit different from a traditional "murder this amount of HP" solo.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I will say I'm pleased with the fact that attacks were unnecessary so my chances of making terrible attack rolls was greatly diminished. One nice thing about Verax (my Cleric in Aegeri's other game) is that even when he misses he's still usually pretty effective, by offering healing and keeping someone marked. It's fun playing a Striker for the opportunity to do lots of damage, but you really feel every missed attack.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, that was a really unique and fun encounter. I think having the fire that you mentioned might have actually made it too confusing what we were supposed to do(in most games, both video and pnp, fire="don't go here, you're supposed to solve/fight something first"). The slowly closing doors, however, screamed "It's Indiana Jones time! Run, you mothers!".

Overall, it was way more climactic and bad-ass than simply fighting the poltergeist could have been. A+++ for Aegeri.

Mars on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That was a lot of fun =) I'll have to ask you all to keep Oren's dragonmark a secret for now. In fact, before I leave the crypt I'll be performing the ritual to conceal the mark once again. He doesn't want extra attention.

Damn useful thing it proved to be, though.

Folks, I'm having trouble picking a feat for 4th level. Here's my choices; weigh in, what do you think I should take?

Defensive Healing Word: Recipient of my Healing Word gains +Cha (3) mod to all defenses against the next attack made against him.

Healer's Implement: Adds enhancement value of Holy Symbol (+2) to hp recovered by any cleric healing powers.

Distant Advantage: Gain CA with Ranged attacks against flanked enemies (bit of a conundrum here; all my attacks are Ranged, but we only have two melee attackers now so flanked enemies might be rare.)

Runner-ups are Combat Medic and Jack of All Trades (I have +2 int, +3 cha and +4 wisdom, yet many untrained skills that are tied to those attributes.)

Rius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Forget Jack of all Trades and Combat Medic, neither's very good.

Healer's Implement is good and it gets better very rapidly. If you've got a +2 implement that's when it starts paying off IMO.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, if you're wondering the doors had the solos HP/number of doors. They didn't close instantly though, so actually you could bypass a good chunk of HP. I'll post the puzzle later.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Here is the "puzzle". This is a replica of the scratches on the surface of the sarcophagus' lid you found in the Mausoleum.

Puzzle.jpg

You can make intelligence checks to get clues if you get stuck.

It's clear there is writing here, so if you look for patterns perhaps it could tell you what is written.

It's pretty obvious whoever did this was in obscene amounts of pain to actually write this, literally chipping away with whatever they had on hand. Given the amount of blood on the scratchings it could well have been something like a fingernail...

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The Protege is Within the Song of Soul?

Obviously a typo, it's supposed to be Within the Soul of Song, indicating the the Protege is the manifestation the emotion that drives one to make art. Clearly, this is why the bard was the first to go mad.

Mars on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yep, the writing makes out to be "The Protege is Within the Song of Soul", whatever the hell that is supposed to be.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Unexpected MonkeyUnexpected Monkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And here I was hoping the puzzle would start with 'I haff tvelve metchsteek...' Nice work Mars.
    Aegeri wrote:
    Kakos - Human Avenger (Striker) - Tried to save Eve... but the monster was too quick and she lost him somewhere on the streets of Sharn... streets that soon became endless...

Looks like there won't be much of a welcome when we get out of the tomb.

Unexpected Monkey on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Damn, you people are sharp. Solving my puzzles and reading the OP on a regular basis.

Next I'm going to hide things in random edits throughout the thread, HA!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So Rius, just a heads up for you should you decide to take Astral Seal instead of Gaze of Defiance. It heals for 2 + Cha (3) + Wis (4) + Healer's Brooch (1) + Holy Symbol (2) if you take the Healer's Implement feat. That's 12 HP healed at will.

Just something to keep in mind.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So Rius, just a heads up for you should you decide to take Astral Seal instead of Gaze of Defiance. It heals for 2 + Cha (3) + Wis (4) + Healer's Brooch (1) + Holy Symbol (2) if you take the Healer's Implement feat. That's 12 HP healed at will.

Just something to keep in mind.

Are you trying to tell me what to do? =P

That's the road I was thinking of traveling, yeah.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oren's sheet is updated; http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1223. I retrained Gaze for Astral Seal and took the Healer's Implement feat.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We're still playing today, but I am in quite a bit of pain and such (though my EHEC has flared up a bit). We'll probably have a half a session (2 hours or so) today. This is because I'm just not up to sitting down for long periods of time at the moment (painful cramps, are painful).

Edit: Actually, I am in agony pretty much right now. I'm not in a good place at all! I'm afraid that I'm going to have to call the game off and go to the doctor right now. Because this is honestly more pain than I have had and it hasn't stopped for about three hours now. I will however put the server up so you guys can update your tokens if you want.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Daelkyr Symbiote
    This writhing, ugly worm devours your tongue and then replaces it, sitting in your mouth as naturally as anything else... Properties: You can understand and communicate with creatures you previously could not understand...
    You gain a +1 bonus to fortitude, reflex and will
    You permanently lose 1 healing surge while the artifact is equipped
    You gain the "Whipping tongue" encounter power
    You can eat any form of dead flesh to regain HP, spending a healing surge as normal

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sorry guys, no game this weekend as I will have to spend my Saturday in the lab. I have a report to write and I need to produce some things for that. So I won't be available as that will take up my morning + afternoon. Sorry about that again.

I'm getting a bit crushed by real life right now I'm sorry to say.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    On the other hand, I get to sleep on a Friday again! Not that I don't love your game, but sleep is good too. :P

...could someone tell me what happened last week?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am totally confused now, what does this have to do with my game? :P

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

he's just spamming the forums with nonsense in the hopes people will click on his sig

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

he's just spamming the forums with nonsense in the hopes people will click on his sig

Ah.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    But he doesn't have a sig o.O

Rius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    He doesn't seem to have an account either. Mysteeeerious!

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I admit I'd be a lot more broken up about this if I didn't have to write a draft for a 2000 word paper on shale oil by midnight tonight. This means I can put off starting on this thing even longer since I'll have tonight's DnD time to work on it.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, lucky coincidence, as I'd completely forgotten about the game and was just coming here to apologize for missing it.

So, yeah, sorry I missed the game, Aegeri :p

Mars on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am having a miserable time at work at the moment. There is drama occurring and I don't really want to elaborate much on this right away. I won't be able to play this weekend, but I will be available afterwards for reason I will explain before we play next week.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am having a miserable time at work at the moment. There is drama occurring and I don't really want to elaborate much on this right away. I won't be able to play this weekend, but I will be available afterwards for reason I will explain before we play next week.
    Oh man, that sucks. Hope your job sitch. gets better.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can't remember the end of our last session; did we hit level 5?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes; UM sent me a log of what happened. I don't recall any loot though...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm afraid that life hasn't really improved that much for me just yet. There will be a longer PM later explaining why, but right now I can't commit any time to DnD sorry :( It's just a bit of a mess I'm afraid.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That sucks man. Hope it all clears up soon. Don't worry about the game, it'll happen when it happens, and we can wait until things are better again.

Mars on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Anyone know if we're playing tonight? I would presume otherwise, heh.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oren Adrenni @ 5th level; Picked up Iron to Glass for my 5th level Daily power and also retrained Shield Bearer for Bane.

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1530

Rius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    We are playing this weekend guys! I see a few character sheets have gone funny and such, which is a bit odd as it has confused me a bit :P I would just like some updates and such so that as I write the adventuring for tomorrow I can see where everyone is at. We have TSI|Awesome joining the game with a Kobold Wizzard as well, for some controlling goodness.

Interestingly you'll be the first party I've ever had that has more ranged characters than you do melee characters. I'm interested to see how this works out.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Will probably be a few minutes late, just leaving work now.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's alright, you still have like 30 minutes anyway.

Also I want to emphasize that I am alive and I wasn't stolen by garden gnomes.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Here are the five paintings you found (the image names the relevant painting):

Note one may be considered slightly NSFW.
    DearlyBeloved.jpg

HollowSacrifice.jpg

Irony.jpg

This one may be slightly NSFW.
    Sorrow.jpg

TheConsumation.jpg

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hello. I'm going to move the games time forwards 30 minutes again, this gives people who are coming home from work slightly more time and such to get to the game. It's basically returning the game to the time it used to start at this point. So it will begin in one hour from now (not 30 minutes), because my observation from last week is that waiting for people to arrive will mean we'll be starting in an hour anyway. This means we aren't losing any "game" time.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    OK, so after all my back-and-forth over feats, I went for Hybrid Talent and took Brutal Scoundrel tactics for even more sneak damage. Also retrained to get Tortuous Strike because I figured we had enough area/burst attacks and a potential 4d4+9+2d6+4 damage was worth it for a lv. 1 encounter power. :P

Mr_Rose on