As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pro Wrestling: RIP Captain Lou Albano

• Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    Like Taz at Victory Road and Tonight..

But I do want to say its not unwatchable or anything, its just bad. It's more akin to late 80s early 90s WWF if you ask me. With some extra stuff of course.

Hjorvarthr's comment is on target, if they would clean house a bit, and use the old guys more to put the new guys over and be "managers" and "mentors", it would definitely help the product. Though as many have said, without change it can't ever hope to seriously compete against WWE.

are you saying TNA is bad and you like WWE? or just talking about what it would have to do to compete?

I'm going to the RoH show in Toronto tomorrow night. Bret Hart is gonna be there for a meet and greet and to speak. yay.

I am saying I like both, but for TNA to be competitive it needs work. I accept that TNA is currently bad, but its that cheesy b-movie kind of bad.

No, it's that poorly written give booker T a new accent each month push old WWE wrestlers and hold down your good talent bad... I like b-movies, they have a special charm... TNA doesn't.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes, I'll agree stuff like Booker T's "accent" and the spider gimmick should be done away with rather quickly.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Something I can't believe TNA actually pulled off was fucking up Samoa Joe.

Now, the blame isn't entirely on them, since it seems that he stopped giving a shit once he realized he wasn't getting anywhere, but come on@

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Joe with the main event mafia... just feels so stupid. Having Taz coach Joe could actually help Joe out if it brought him back to his old style of "Gonna hurt people and win matches". I could see also having a small arsenal of suplexes similar to Taz would help too. Of all the people, Joe, IMO, could be seen as a next generation Taz.

But seriously, having Joe back down from ANYONE, no matter if he just had a match or not, is just wrong.

Also, his match with Homicide just felt... slow and weak. Joe can put on good matches, and very good matches with the right people. It just felt like neither of them were really into it at all, with such an odd pacing like they were trying to build up speed but neither felt interested enough to go faster.

I am surprised that they really did bring in Lashley with how is MMA career is going. Although, in an odd way, it might actually make sense. Pro-Wrestling for TNA is really not that difficult compaired to WWE, you do very little travel and if you plan it right you don't do many matches. It could be a way for Lashley to keep active and increase his pay check.

On another TNA note... is the MEM just another NWO where they will bring in so many people that it won't be "Who is and isn't in MEM" it will be "Oh, hey, it's one of the three people thats not a main event mafia person, sucks for him."

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, it's a pity that no one is willing to bring in Heyman. Damn if he knows what he's talking about.

http://heymanhustle.craveonline.com/blogs/21208-paul-heyman-wwe-and-tna-fail-the-future

Kyougu on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Watching Smackdown, and Hardy and Jericho just had a good match for the opener. Also, Michelle McCool is a pretty bad heel.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Right now there is something in Heyman's article that I think needs to definitely be put into some kind of perspective. I do agree with a lot of it, but comparing pro wrestling today with major league American sports in the aspect of scouting just doesn't work like he is trying to make it sound.

Yes, both TNA and the WWE need to get newer people in there so that they can prepare them to be future main eventers, and even pushing them up to the top of the business now. However, there is only so much room in the world of pro-wrestling in the "major leagues" (WWE, TNA, and possibly RoH coming up a close third). They are competing for ratings with, quite frankly, their writing staff and not the people on screen. As is quite obvious as well, in ring talent doesn't mean jack shit anymore for 90% of the wrestlers, but instead storytelling is what draws an audience. There are obviously a few exceptions, but for the most part its Storylines first, in ring action second.

The reason major league sports teams scout is to get the best of the next generation of atheletes before the other teams do. Having someone with a better batting average, a good three point shot or can rull really damn fast after catching a ball means a lot when the other team is trying to get the exact same thing and will use it directly against you. Pro-wrestling is not a competition in this sort. The wrestlers from the WWE aren't going into the ring against TNA guys. It's all about ratings, and so whatever gets you good ratings is what you go with. Triple H and Cena get good ratings, good crowd reations and sell merchandise. In the business sense that is the obvious way to go, it's what gets you money.

The WWE and TNA have enough people as it is coming to them, and as the two biggest American promotions, and frankly the only two that would be considered recognizable to the average person at this point it would be a waste of resources to go looking for people. Yes, there is the chance that they would find the next Hogan, or the next Austin or Rock in some Indie show, but why go out of their way for a chance that might not pay off when they can sit safely with, say, a product that is 50-75% as good yet is proven to work. There is no realistic reason for WWE to take chances with this at this time when they can comfortably stick with what they have. However, TNA needs to take these risks. They came up from behind and started making a good amount of splash in the wrestling world, then have begun to fall back more and more due to trying to become sort of a WWE/WCW remake in a way. You can't just take what someone else does and plan on it working better, you have to either change it yourself or make up something entirely new.

Their are obviously though exceptions to this. OVW or whatever WWE's developmental territory is now. That works very well for what heyman is trying to get across. I still don't believe that scouting is neccessary or even a good choice, but something like this is and should be much easier to get into. This is where the WWE can keep an eye on people, groom and perfect them to move up to the WWE main roster in some way. If the WWE somehow either set up or worked with other independent promotions, and had multiple indie/developmental promotions around the US with which they could then scout for talent. That would be a feasable, simple and beneficial choice as, if done wisely, would increase independent promotions as well as effectively increase WWE's possible roster pool with overall minimal effort.

This doesn't work as well for TNA in it's current position. It would cause very direct confrontation with the WWE, and any direct confrontation would turn into who has bigger wallets. TNA will always lose that fight. This does show the obvious problem with the American pro-wrestling scene today. For the big name televised events, WWE wins hands down do to their sheer size compaired to anyone else. They don't have to be better, they don't have to even be good. They are just what we are used to, and so we flock to that.

One thing I do agree whole heartedly is that the lack of any form of scouting process, or even allowing new talent to come in and realisticly getting a push past mid-card status for the most part is going to hurt the WWE, and practically kill TNA if they don't change. When HHH, Cena, Michaels, Orton, Undertaker and the other current main eventers are gone, who will we have? MVP, Kofi, Bourne, Kozlov, Khali, Swagger, and others, but likely a good number of them won't be around in 10 years due to how fickle the industry is. TNA is even worse off, as they have not only kept people from pushing up now, but once they got Angle they have been grabbing ANY WWE guy that had any form of success and pushing them straight to the top at the cost of the talent that put TNA on the map. They are not only keeping talent from being prepared to be the next generation of big name wrestlers, they are pushing people down who had been at that spot.

Its astounding to try and think of what Pro-Wrestling will be like in 10 years. With Ring of Honor slowly coming up with a bigger focus on in ring ability, looking at how many shows are monopolized by people who won't be there in 10 years, let alone may not even make it 2-3 more years, I can't begin to imagine what the face of wrestling will be. In the past 30 years Wrestling has changed so very drastically. From a slower, grounded pace with almost no entrance music whatsoever, to an era of sex, drugs, violence, titantrons, and soap opera storylines to a PG version of this. I'm scared at the future of wrestling, because if it doesn't change, my god is it going to suck so bad.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, uh, WWE is kind of doing a bad job of making me hate Punk in his promos.

Drugs. Bad. Yeah, I pretty much agree here.

They really need to go for the "Straight Edge makes me a completely superior person in every single way to all of you ignorant fucks I mean seriously I'm so awesome and so much better than you it's kind of ridiculous" route, rather than the "Drugs are bad guys, seriously, come on, drugs are so bad they are the worst thing!"

Right now it's like... we're supposed to be cheering for drugs...? Uh... Kind of an awkward position for Jeff Hardy, here.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought this slow burn was going to make me finally like CM Punk, but the DARE program on Smackdown! was just too much. Didn't we already do this with Jack Shwagger and MVP (replace drugs with crime)?

WWE really needs more faces, not more heels, the 2 best people main eventing in WWE (lol opinions) right now are heels: Jericho and Orton. While the mid card has plenty of good faces like Morrison, Bourne, etc they are going to need to find a way to get some faces to replace people like HHH, Cena, and Rey Mysterio.

Although I guess it could be said that quite frankly the WWE could do whatever the hell they want and still be the top program when the competitor is doing spider gimmicks and wannabe nWo shtick.

edit: Oh but at least WWE did make me like CM Punk for beating up on Mini Cena.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    So, uh, WWE is kind of doing a bad job of making me hate Punk in his promos.

Drugs. Bad. Yeah, I pretty much agree here.

They really need to go for the "Straight Edge makes me a completely superior person in every single way to all of you ignorant fucks I mean seriously I'm so awesome and so much better than you it's kind of ridiculous" route, rather than the "Drugs are bad guys, seriously, come on, drugs are so bad they are the worst thing!"

Right now it's like... we're supposed to be cheering for drugs...? Uh... Kind of an awkward position for Jeff Hardy, here.

You're not supposed to hate what he is saying, you're supposed to hate the way he is saying it. That said, you aren't supposed to fully hate him yet it doesn't seem.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gentlemen, I present to you the shocking, previously secretive yet unsurprising breakdown of a typical Triple H match. This is the difinative reason why HHH, mother fucker extraordinar, has been on top of WWE for so long.
    HHH_Flow_Chart.jpg

It's a bold new world we've entered. One in which HHH's carear knows no limits. I can only envision HHH's career ending one way - a "loser leaves the WWE FOREVER" gauntlet match in which he ends the career of everyone on the WWE's active AND legend roster, who then return to applaud him has he walks up the aisle victorious, but unable to compete any more due to lack of competition. Standing tall, he sheds a tear for there is no-one left to bury.

He then clones himself and a neverending match ensues.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And here I thought the definitive reason why Trips has been on top of the WWE...
    Was by being on top of her.
    stephanie_mcmahon.jpg

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    And here I thought the definitive reason why Trips has been on top of the WWE...
    Was by being on top of her.
    stephanie_mcmahon.jpg

OH SNAP!

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The truth hurts sometimes.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I enjoy what I see of TNA, which is not much. yeah there are old wrestlers there, but there are also great new ones.

and the RoH show was amazing. there was an after party at a bar that I believe is owned by someone who used to be involved so there were a bunch of wrestlers there. soooo fucking cool.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    I enjoy what I see of TNA, which is not much. yeah there are old wrestlers there, but there are also great new ones.

and the RoH show was amazing. there was an after party at a bar that I believe is owned by someone who used to be involved so there were a bunch of wrestlers there. soooo fucking cool.

Jade Chung? Hot asian chick? She's the only ex-ROH employee I know of who owns a bar and hosts ROH afterparties.

Read the results and the show sounded pretty cool.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like TNA.

Maybe something's wrong with me.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tag match is first. I'm saying Y2J's partner is Kane.

Nope, Big Show.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    As far as realistic choices go, Big Show surprises me not at all. However, I am surprised they didn't try and go for some sort of "Wow, I never saw that coming" move.

Wait... not surprised, disappoitned. It's the WWE "creative" team.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Really liked Punk's promo.

The US title match was pretty fun too.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Punk's promo was epic. He's the best thing in WWE right now, hands down.

Also Kofiiiiiiii

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    God this triple threat is boring.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    God this triple threat is boring.
    it ended pretty decently, though. With Legacy coming out after orton tapped to a sharpshooter stfu combo

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    A sharpshoot stf, that does sound interesting. Though, does this mean Orton no longer has the title?

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No, the ref couldn't decide who Orton was tapping out to.

And Heel Punk=Money.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ah, so it was Trips doing a sharp shoot and Cena doing the stf? They seem to do this sort of thing every 2 years or so.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Did not expect that ending, but I'm happy with it. Punk and Hardy work super well together. I hope they keep this feud going for a while.

I think I'm giving MOTN to Punk/Hardy with the US title match second.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You guys really like the anti-drug speeches CM Punk is giving? I'm getting sick of them pretty fast myself. He needs to Jericho it up a bit and build up some proper heat, all this stuff right now is cheap heat on party boy Jeff Hardy.

Big Show + New tights was interesting, but I was hoping for someone more random since Ziggler was occupied with Mysterio. Also I wish someone would let WWE creative know they can give Mysterio a different way to finish a match, because the Mini-Cena gimmick wore off long ago.

I have to say overall though this was a better PPV than I expected, but I hope something other than Orton/Cena/HHH again comes out of the spinnerbelt match.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Have Punk slap some women, that'll work

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Honestly, I expect to see a fued between Rey and Punk where Punk bring's up Eddie. I mean, if it's perfectly fine to them for Orton to do it only 2 or 3 months after his death, how can they be above them doing it now?

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aside from Maryse/Mickie, all the matches were at least decent. I actually thought Melina/McCool turned out to be pretty solid, it's too bad the crowd no-sold it cause those two beat the hell out of each other. The triple threat was good, one of the better matches of the night. But I'm sick of these three fighting each other. Punk/Hardy was good. Punk is amazing as a heel, andthe most compelling guy in the WWE right now. Six-man was a sloppy spotfest, but it was fun. Christian/Dreamer and Rey/Dolph were alright, nothing special but perfectly acceptable wrestling. The tag match didn't click with me, I don't think it helped it was heel vs. heel. Maryse has a lot of physical charisma and plays a good heel, but she's still really green, and Mickie has always been kinda sloppy, so their match was bad.

Overall, a solid show, but kinda dissapointing, IMO.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hopefully this CM Punk nonsense leads to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuP8tqxeslY

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They really need to do something about Raw main even scene. In Smackdown you have a good number of people you can mix up, but in Raw? It's Orton/HHH/Cena/HBK, with maybe, maybe throwing MVP in there, though he looks to be busy with Swagger. Guess you could have Mark Henry in a month long feud, but after that? No one.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jericho can still have matches on any brand, therefore RAW is saved:

RAW

is

JERICHO!!!

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shaq's taller than Big Show. Ha.

This is pretty amusing.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    This whole opening is 1000 times better than all of last week's show

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And of course he's friends with Cryme Tyme...it all makes sense! You'd think he'd bring in Hurricane, sorta like a Supes/GL tag-team.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Ah shit. I went to watch this and it looks like the cable company dropped me down to basic earlier than I expected :x

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Shaq went to highschool with Hornswaggle. Awesome.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And says no fist bumps for you Cole

Hjorvarthr on
This discussion has been closed.