As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck whatever we were playing, let's get ready for some goddamn DARK SUN

• Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The scythe is appropriate for the character

He's going along with another character, who is the daughter of the leader of their tribe, and is supposed to be serving as her guard and spiritual guidance (she's playing a druid). Also her cook. He's a phenomenal cook.

Accordingly, he has a fucked up spiritual world view and is pretty dismal himself. He also intends to do things like cut the hearts of her courageous enemies out and feed them to her without her knowledge.

A couple of well placed c's would have made that explanation so much more entertaining.
    Although it's a neat concept.

Probad on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scythes have historically like no basis in weapon adaptation

At least at no large scale

And the few times they were adapted they took the blades off and moved them to make more of a polearm thing

But I still like them

Straightzi on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i am thinking my shaman's weapon will look something like this spear here. i plan on designing the outfit to look nothing like this though

1-1.jpg

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scythes were only improvisational weapons used by hastily organized farm militia. They would be highly effective against wheat-based foes, but you aren't going to do much against something with any kind of mobility.

But dnd is all about suspension of disbelief so I've never seen a problem with making characters kick some ass with scythes.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Scythes have historically like no basis in weapon adaptation

At least at no large scale

And the few times they were adapted they took the blades off and moved them to make more of a polearm thing

But I still like them

Yeah, fauchards and war scythes were still pretty badass though, considering they were modified farming implements.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    War scythes and fauchards are more designed like the polearm pictured above, with the blade coming out vertically, so you're right that they were used very effectively. But the big farm scythe with the blade coming out horizontally is pretty impractical, and only really worked for combat in a much smaller one-handed sickle form. But they do look really really cool. The idea of having one as a largely ceremonial implement is a great idea.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    So, have they come up with an At-Will cooler than Prestidigitation yet? I'm betting not.

There's a set of gloves from the Adventurer's Vault that allow you to use Mage Hand and Prestidigitation. I think I'd want them for any and every character I ever built.

What level item is it? And does it do anything else.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shorty wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Man ain't nothin wrong with the FR.

There are a few things but the biggest complaint I've heard around is that it makes the players feel irrelevant.

that is entirely the fault of their DM, not the setting

And while you can claim that (and there is validity in it, I agree) there is a certain amount of responsibility given towards the setting. Now to clarify my remark, it makes the players feel possibly irrelevant in much higher level campaigns. In lower level campaigns where rescuing a maiden or stopping a small town from an invasion is the objective, the players can shine well. But when you introduce campaigns in which major components of the setting itself could be changed you run into the biggest & commonly most cited problem, high level npcs. And people have brought up the Elminster but he is the huge pink elephant in the room for most 'epic-flavored' campaigns.

Elminster is sort of like Dumbledore in a Harry Potter story. While the plot can thicken and go deep, there's a thought in the back of your head of how exactly Dumbledore is influencing the outcome (because he is, he's god damn Dumbledore).

Its the same problem that any story runs into when using pre-existing material. Should you happen to run a campaign in Gotham City for example and the stakes begin to rise, when/where does Batman come into the story? And it isn't a matter of why does he enter the story because it's his 'world,' he'd enter the story sooner and later and when he does it's his story now (by mere virtue of his ability to outclass the original protagonists).

So I will agree with your original claim that it does fall on the lap of the DM to shine the light correctly on the players but a setting containing a Batman or Dumbledore does add a certain amount of difficulty when playing higher-level campaigns.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So, have they come up with an At-Will cooler than Prestidigitation yet? I'm betting not.

There's a set of gloves from the Adventurer's Vault that allow you to use Mage Hand and Prestidigitation. I think I'd want them for any and every character I ever built.

What level item is it? And does it do anything else.

4 and no

Melding on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Only a level 4 item? Man I should try and get that from my DM next time we loot some magic items. My rogue would LOVE that.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    so, carson's duder is an avenger following the raven queen
    The Raven Queen
    Unaligned

The name of the god of death is long
    forgotten, but she is called the Raven
    Queen. She is the spinner of fate and
    the patron of winter. She marks the
    end of each mortal life, and mourn-
    ers call upon her during funeral rites,
    in the hope that she will guard the
    departed from the curse of undeath.
    She expects her followers to abide by
    these commandments:
    ✦ Hold no pity for those who suffer
    and die, for death is the natural
    end of life.
    ✦ Bring down the proud who try to
    cast off the chains of fate. As the instru-
    ment of the Raven Queen, you must punish
    hubris where you find it.
    ✦ Watch for the cults of Orcus and stamp them out
    whenever they arise. The Demon Prince of the
    Undead seeks to claim the Raven Queen’s throne.

would he be against resurrection/raise dead?

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nah. I think they would hate undead since they're raised without souls, but someone being raised from the dead would be fine, I think.

Then again, that seems like a roleplaying thing. Like, he could be vehemently against raise dead because he believes that death should just be the end, etc.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    The Raven Queen
    Unaligned

The name of the god of death is long
    forgotten, but she is called the Raven
    Queen. She is the spinner of fate and
    the patron of winter. She marks the
    end of each mortal life, and mourn-
    ers call upon her during funeral rites,
    in the hope that she will guard the
    departed from the curse of undeath.
    She expects her followers to abide by
    these commandments:
    end of life.
    cast off the chains of fate. As the instru-
    ment of the Raven Queen, you must punish
    hubris where you find it.
    ✦ Watch for the cults of Orcus and stamp them out
    whenever they arise. The Demon Prince of the
    Undead seeks to claim the Raven Queen’s throne.

end of life.
    cast off the chains of fate.

Looks like.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Belruel wrote: »

snip

If I recall, the official material is more like, resurrection doesn't count as cheating death, because you're just ending an unnatural death(violent ending) and not a natural one(old age). You're still going to die, just not yet. Cheating death is more like vampires/liches, people who unnaturally lengthen their lifespan through foul magic or being bitten or something. Besides, otherwise there would be a big problem at epic tier when most classes get abilities saying "Once per day, when you die" since they'd be cheating death every day.

Now, of course, if he wants to play it as him abhorring resurrection, that's fine. I'm pretty sure all of the above is just so they give a good reason for the avenger not being a dick to the rest of the party when they want to resurrect the fighter. You know, avoid inter-party conflict. But if you don't mind that kind of conflict, it's not really a problem.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd really like to try out 4E, but coming from oWoD, it all seems so fucking complicated. Also, I hate math.

ALSO, my friends are all like "I want to dual-wield vorpal Jojos!". Imagine Unforgotten Realms only more stupid. :?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    there are so many things wrong with that post I don't know where to begin

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    there are so many things wrong with that post I don't know where to begin

Yea, I know.

I know 3.5 from games like Neverwinter Nights and I've compared it to 4e. While 4e IS less of a garbeled mess, I still find it complicated. I'm that bad at anything related to numbers.

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    you don't know how to add, subtract, and multiply?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    you don't know how to add, subtract, and multiply?

I do but I'm bad at it and without a calculator I'll most likely get the result wrong.

Besides, D&D has so fucking MUCH of it. There seem to be tons of stuff you have to take into consideration in a normal fight.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    4e makes it really, really easy. The Character Builder prints out Power and Ability cards with all of that math figured out for you.

But I guess that's hard for a game with faggy vampires playing Paper, Rock, Scissors. 8-)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    But I guess that's hard for a game with fucking werewolf-deathmachines playing Paper, Rock, Scissors. 8-)

Fixed that for you.

D&D Insider has a fee and somehow I doubt it's available in Europe at all.

It's not like I don't WANT to get a grip on D&D but it takes so much fucking time for me to learn the ropes.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quickstart rules and a free adventure have been linked to multiple times.

It was the first official 4e adventure and it's a bunch of fun.

Also what the fuck WotC is getting into the shoe industry?

This pair isn't that bad, really.

ahaha

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Those are all awful.

Much like world of darkness

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    But NaS, don't you wanna be ready to play where ever, whenever?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ahahahaha

WOOOOSH

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Look at how cool I will be. Tapping my feet.

80252944.png

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, i got that email, I'm alittle weirded out by the idea of DnD shoes.

Also, DDI is available in Europe. It's DnD :Online that's not being free in Europe or something.

Melding on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh dear god the Eberron Campaign Guide has so many awesome villains

and only like, 2 of them, are truly evil jerks.

Decisions

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would wear some of those shoes.

With my wolf moon t-shirt.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I have to admit, 4E isn't that bad on the whole numbers stuff after I've found a decent, automatic character sheet.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Blank, anything useful to player characters specifically or is it more just a DM book type deal?

Melding on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    Blank, anything useful to player characters specifically or is it more just a DM book type deal?
    It's definitely a DM book, it even says "Hey, we suggest that you don't let your players read this book because it could ruin all of your surprises."

It has a lot more monsters than the FRCG had as well.

The only thing I think players could use are the new mount statistics

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Any super cool new mounts?

Melding on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Carver, Clawfoot, Fastieth - Large, Medium, Smaller-Medium versions of dinosaur mounts.

Glidewing - Pteradactyls.

Dragonhawk - Kinda self explanatory.

Magebred Destrier - Pimped out Horse

Valenar Riding Horse - Holy shit zooooooom

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That's pretty awesome, I think they had the magebred Destrier on the preview site a while back.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Valenar Horse is crazy fast.

+7 Initiative, 10 Speed, when mounted it gets +4 to speed until the end of it's next turn and has an encounter power that lets it shift 2 squares.

At level 2

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    God.

People keep trying to make me play in the RPGA, living forgotten realms.

I am like fuck that noise.

It's like you have a different table full of people every weekend.

Kinda defeats the purpose of D&D to me.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ROCKET HORSE!

Melding on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ferrus wrote: »
    I have to admit, 4E isn't that bad on the whole numbers stuff after I've found a decent, automatic character sheet.

It is really, really easy now. Just look at it some more, if you are older than a 6 year old, you should be able to handle any and all the math the game might throw your way. I mean if anything, just grab a calculator and use it for the addition.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guys I want to play a D&D game so bad.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
This discussion has been closed.