As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night and [PHOTO] Every Day

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I do the breathe out and click which is the same thing you do when firing a rifle. One thing he didn't mention is that I think you are supposed to do the *click* a little bit before you run out of breath and have to breathe in. This isn't a forceful breathing out just a very shallow calm exhale. I have another technique I use which will probably only work for skinny people but i basically rest my right elbow on my right hip* and bring my arm up against my chest with my hand going up from the hip to my face so the camera is right there. I find I can shoot about 1/20-1/30th with my 50mm with this technique pretty well.

Edit:
    *I am actually pushing my elbow in so I'm moving some muscle/fat what have you above the hip bone so I can get something solid for my eblow to rest on.

Also if you are able to sit down you can use your knees as a tripod and rest your camera on top of that and get some more speed out of it. Another helpful tip is to put the camera on multishot instead of single shot so if you hold down the shutter button it keeps taking pictures till you let up. The reason for this is the motion of pressing the shutter button moves the camera a little bit and if you take 2-3 pictures the 2nd and 3rd picture will almost always be sharper than the 1st. This technique is called "chirping" IIRC.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, the fellow that was pulled from the fire died too.

Don't worry, I won't float burned corpses onto the internet.

Here's some more pleasant material I captured while testing out my new ND filter.

NDTest-3.jpg

NDTest.jpg

NDTest-2.jpg

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shooting my first solo wedding today. I hope I dont screw anything up.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I needddd a ND filter asap those are awesome!

Sueve on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm starting to get to know the functions of my camera a little better.

longexposure1.jpg

Not a great photo, but I'm learning.

Flay on
  • Options
    PenpalPenpal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    muninn: That shot is awesome. It feels like a real place... if that means anything. It also reminds me of Condemned for some reason... man, anyone remember those games?

and uncle long: Oh, man, have I wanted to shoot daylight with long exposures. What's it like? I've heard (apart from rivers/running water) that the best subjects to go for with a ND filter in daylight are fields of wheat, or similar things. It makes them look really cool... I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember seeing a picture of a busted tractor in the middle of a wheat field that was taken with and ND and it was brilliant.

3780204840_c9b588806d_b.jpg

Penpal on
    Kevin+Coffey.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I bought a polarizer recently, and lent it to my sister.

She misplaced it within five minutes, and we haven't seen it since. :(

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Penpal that is a wonderful photo

Usagi: its probably slanty, I can't hold cameras straight

Jake!: it's not the lake distract, its southern france :)

3780025691_6778158268_b.jpg

3780025299_848236f56a_b.jpg

3780024499_98b45606ec_b.jpg

Jives on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    shit yes waterfalls

Another one from Washington. Marymere Falls:
    3781520472_c3bddae013.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jives wrote: »

Seriously, great use of available light. Good comp. too, don't think it would have hurt to have her a little more centered but that's being really picky. Great shot.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    KAJedKAJed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I went to my friends wedding on the weekend. There were actually a number of pros there just from friends (lucky couple!). I took some too. I haven't had time to do any post yet, but here is one of my favorite shots from MUCH later in the night (very happy I could even take a straight shot at that point!)

3784178975_3de5119b91.jpg

KAJed on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jives wrote: »

Seriously, great use of available light. Good comp. too, don't think it would have hurt to have her a little more centered but that's being really picky. Great shot.

I love that photo. I don't think she needs to be any more centered, but it would help if it was a bit smaller and didn't break my h-scroll at home. It is a bit grainy/ iso noisy but that is to be expected in that kind of light.

Kajed: well she just looks like a little hussy with her straw...and crown.....and fruit drink.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DSCF2275.jpg

Reflection of a glass on a glass coffee table. I love macro photography! So many everyday objects you wouldn't really think of can be a subject to photograph, and get interesting results from.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't call that interesting I would call it cluttered. If you really like the reflection you should try and seperate it from all the other stuff in the photo. For example you should probably move the object that is being reflected so it isn't near that bar or the wood edge. Then you could throw a black sheet or poster underneath the table so you get more contrast between the reflection and the ground / carpet. As it stands now the rest of the scene is too bright compared to the reflection and there is just so much superfluous stuff that adds nothing to the intended subject.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Penpal: I'm with the general consensus, but I don't know why you kept the near post in frame.

Rohan: I agree with cow, even though he's being blunt as usual :)

arizona1.jpg

arizona2.jpg

gcanyon1.jpg

gcanyon2.jpg

gcanyon3.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jake I like the 1st and 3rd photo but they both suffer from the usual pollution problem. It is a matter of preference but I would probably bump the contrast through curves or levels on those portions of the photo and use a mask. On second thought I'm not sure if that would benefit the 3rd photo as much since the tree stands out more against the hazy background.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jake I like the 1st and 3rd photo but they both suffer from the usual pollution problem. It is a matter of preference but I would probably bump the contrast through curves or levels on those portions of the photo and use a mask. On second thought I'm not sure if that would benefit the 3rd photo as much since the tree stands out more against the hazy background.

While I definitely agree with you on #3, it looks like he's already boosted #1. That and I honestly really like the sorta washed out look of #1 anyways, any more washed out and I probably wouldn't. But I think it would look to wonky boosted more. I'unno... I'm lovin' #1.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Some touristy (though taken by a native) New Mexico shots:

3786941295_7505cd54df.jpg

3787754886_8238b959ae.jpg

And a couple random ones (the last one taken with a lensbaby):

3787750848_3ff0b653a1.jpg

3786932103_3f0c1785ef.jpg

limester816 on
  • Options
    nation161nation161 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Penpal, that alien-esque shot a few pages back... I saw it a few days ago and still think it's really creepy/cool looking, nice.

Jake, the tour you went on looks awesome, makes me want to get out more. Great shots.

nO and UncleLong, you guys always amaze me at what you capture, seriously, I'm almost always in awe at what you post.

Here are some from Cape Vincent, NY (grandparents have a little house up there):

3783855706_1e2ee67dff.jpg

3783851706_1a815ab36b.jpg

3783850302_b16a167d39.jpg

3783846402_105d3193d1.jpg

3783834734_37bf5d66db.jpg

3783021785_b551c3948e.jpg

nation161 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks dudes. Also, the reason why the light post had to be in frame was because it was my only light source. Had we moved over a little ways, it would have been entirely backlit, and I didn't want to crank the iso any higher. I love night shots, and the 5D2 is letting me take more of them. I apologize if the flash is too noticeable in the second one, but it was the only way I was able to get decent definition with her, I hate how it separates her so blatantly, though. Best viewed large, too.

fake edit: I know the first one is blurry. It was the only good one out of the set, so I used it.

3788099376_8426c5d41f_b.jpg

3787273499_5ee899f7b1_b.jpg

3787281093_1e51102dee_b.jpg

3788078766_e14ea8ff2c_b.jpg

Penpal on
    Kevin+Coffey.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jake! wrote: »
    Rohan: I agree with cow, even though he's being blunt as usual :)

Oh, I agree with both of you. It's too cluttered and could be great if I shot it again under the conditions Cow spoke about, but I'm not very interested in doing that. I was just playing around with my camera as usual and it was one of the more interesting shots from my perspective.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So right now I have a Nikon D40 with an SB-600 and a clear Lightsphere II diffuser.

Anyone want to recommend an inexpensive lighting setup for doing occasional portraits? Should I use the Cactus V4's, or an optical slave?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So right now I have a Nikon D40 with an SB-600 and a clear Lightsphere II diffuser.

Anyone want to recommend an inexpensive lighting setup for doing occasional portraits? Should I use the Cactus V4's, or an optical slave?

cactus....I haven't heard very many good things about the "peanut" optical slaves.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Few from recently, nothing spectacular but I liked a couple.

img3779resizedbetter.jpg

img3797resized.jpg

img3843resized.jpg

Third one isn't particularly interesting, but the color was just amazing.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

cactus....I haven't heard very many good things about the "peanut" optical slaves.

So which flashes should I get to go on the triggers?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey Penpal-- love the colors and nice bokeh.

limester816 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

So which flashes should I get to go on the triggers?

If you are going cheap I would see if you could find an sb-24 for 100-120 dollars but that isn't likely so I would try the lumpro flash from mpex.com. I bought one of those to replace my vivtar 285hv which is a piece of shit.

The sb-24 is somewhere between a stop and 2 stops more powerful than the lumpro but the lumpro has SIMPLE connections on it like both the pc-sync and 3.5mm and an optical slave built in.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    ratrat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    some photos from the backyard

3791250345_1fe1c0e7cd.jpg

3791251611_a99971ae72.jpg

3792068508_fdffe7262c.jpg

rat on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Really digging the spider one. Screw the arachnaphobes (sp?).

Aldo on
  • Options
    ratrat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    thanks, I really like how the web came out with the narrow depth of field

rat on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    rat: the composition and colour of the top one is at least a league above the other two imo.

Does anyone have a fast lens around 28-35mm? I'm looking to pick one up for a 5D. I've seen good reviews of a few sigma lenses, and of course there's the 35mmL.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I am convinced that the 35mm f/1.4L can not take a bad photo.
    Well, I know, of course it can, but it's ridiculously good. I know someone who uses it pretty much exclusively on their 5D. It's brilliant.

Penpal on
    Kevin+Coffey.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I like my 35/2.0 on my 5d. I use it for most of my fashion work and the vignetting is not too noticeable at 2.8 and I still get pretty good DOF.

If you have more money you could probably get something better but that lens is pretty cheap, something like $250.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Preview photo from the wedding I did this past weekend.

ALMIWEDDPREVIEWweb-1.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Preview photo from the wedding I did this past weekend.

I think you may have benefited from a lower aperture. The bride's face is slightly out of focus, but not enough to make it look like you're doing it on purpose, and the dress overexposed, losing detail. The angle and composition is also a little off putting, but I'm not sure why.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Believe me, if I could have used a lower aperture I would have. Kit zoom lens ftl. But yeah I tried to fake not having the aperture I wanted. I like it either way.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Pinch-a-LoafPinch-a-Loaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    projectmayhem: I think I can see what you were trying to do, but the out-of-focus areas lead the viewer's eye straight toward the focused areas, which, in this situation, is the bride's chest. The color in those flowers is beautiful though!

I've been reading these boards for years, but never really post anything. Recently bought my first dSLR and started playing around with it. Like so many others before me, I have found our cats to be good accessible models to get me started on my learning curve...

6296_752535580601_10046823_46810054_4247451_n.jpg

6296_752535585591_10046823_46810055_2389053_n.jpg

edit: Eh, decided to remove the third image.

Pinch-a-Loaf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I really enjoy the first two. The third well, I just cant tell what it is :)

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As much as I hate cat pictures the first two are processed pretty well. The last one is crap though.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    She sure is beautiful. But yeah, the out-of-focusness drags a bit too much of the male's attention to two specific features of her.

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.