As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Fight Debate: Bracket 14

Doctor DoomDoctor Doom Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Graphic Violence
Match A:

225px-Bullseye5.jpg

Bullseye

Powers: Perfect accuracy,
Expert martial artist and hand to hand combatant,
Enhanced durability due to adamantium laced bones

Equipment: Harpoon gun

VS

225px-Groddbolland.PNG

Gorilla Grodd

Powers: Superhuman physical attributes, Vast psionic powers including transference of his consciousness, psychokinesis, telepathy, mind control, psychic blasts and matter manipulation

Environment: Atlantis (Marvel). Both competitors are equipped with an unlimited air supply. Grodd may not use mind control on Bullseye.

Match B:

250px-All_American_Comics_61.jpg

Solomon Grundy

Powers: Born on a Monday, pantsless, Superhuman strength and endurance

VS

250px-Taskmaster4.jpg

Taskmaster

Powers: Photographic reflexes

Equipment: Two Katanas, 10 Throwing Knives, two semi-automatic pistols, SHIELD energy projector for duplicating Marvel-specific weapons

Environment: The Negative Zone

Doctor Doom on

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    gorillas can't swim

Whippy on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bullseye.

All the way. He should win this whole thing.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh man. You can't throw underwater, but as far as I know gorillas also aren't particularly adept at swimming. Also, won't adamantium laced bones cause Bullseye to sink? Or is adamantium light-weight, thus explaining how Bullseye is so agile despite the weighted skeleton?

Are the air supplies provided by devices that can be damaged, or are they breathing magically?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm worried about Taskmaster. Can he hold up long enough to seriously hurt Grundy?

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Oh man. You can't throw underwater, but as far as I know gorillas also aren't particularly adept at swimming. Also, won't adamantium laced bones cause Bullseye to sink? Or is adamantium light-weight, thus explaining how Bullseye is so agile?

Are the air supplies provided by devices that can be damaged, or are they breathing magically?

Equipment: Harpoon Gun

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Can the gorilla block a shot with his mind powers? And also, does Bullseye's perfect accuracy work for trying to throw coral through the water?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    There are no adverse effects to being in the negative zone, correct?

So, if Taskmaster can stay at a distance or use hit and run tactics, I say he has this thing. Up close, Grundy will probably wipe the floor with him.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Skullo wrote:

So, if Taskmaster can stay at a distance or use hit and run tactics, I say he has this thing. Up close, Grundy will probably wipe the floor with him.
    If Green Arrow can take Grundy, Taskmaster has a shot.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Oh man. You can't throw underwater, but as far as I know gorillas also aren't particularly adept at swimming. Also, won't adamantium laced bones cause Bullseye to sink? Or is adamantium light-weight, thus explaining how Bullseye is so agile despite the weighted skeleton?

On most of those old superhero cards of Wolverine said his weight was about 400 lbs due to the skeleton. So my guess is that Bullseye would sink.

Marathon on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Skullo wrote:

If Green Arrow can take Grundy, Taskmaster has a shot.

Trust me, Taskmaster is going to get my vote, but I'm just throwing out options.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Can the gorilla block a shot with his mind powers? And also, does Bullseye's perfect accuracy work for trying to throw coral through the water?
    That's what I meant. Sure he can have perfect aim with his harpoon gun, but those don't come with many harpoons and he's vulnerable as he reloads.

Unless he can surprise Grodd by throwing coral or whatever at Grodd at deadly speed and accuracy despite the impediment of the environment, he's greatly handicapped.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I say Namor takes both the clowns (from when he was evil).

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    That's what I meant. Sure he can have perfect aim with his harpoon gun, but those don't come with many harpoons and he's vulnerable as he reloads.

Unless he can surprise Grodd by throwing coral or whatever at Grodd at deadly speed and accuracy despite the impediment of the environment, he's greatly handicapped.

I think you're overthinking it.

It's perfect accuracy.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

I think you're overthinking it.

It's perfect accuracy.

I always considered his perfect accuracy and his ability to throw anything with deadly force to be two different abilities. I'm not sure that "perfect" accuracy means he can still turn anything into a weapon, even underwater. Since it's a comic book character it might, but it's still a pretty big question.

I'll just assume he can, I guess.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Grodd is big and strong and just plain badass enough to take a harpoon shot and then rip Bullseye apart.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SnoogySnoogy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Balefuego wrote:
    Grodd is big and strong and just plain badass enough to take a harpoon shot and then rip Bullseye apart.

agreed. I don't see one harpoon droping Grod, unless its a "Critical hit! Eye socket!" situation. Just how "perfect" is Bullseye's ain these days?

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:

agreed. I don't see one harpoon droping Grod, unless its a "Critical hit! Eye socket!" situation. Just how "perfect" is Bullseye's ain these days?
    Completely 100% perfect.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:

Completely 100% perfect.

Even with a harpoon lodged in his left eye socket, Grodd still has one eye left. It's enough.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, but the eye goes to the brian. I think he only has one of those. W/o some kind of sheilding i think the nod goes to Bullseye.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What the hell does Photographic Reflexes mean? Photographic memory, ok, Superhuman Reflexes, ok. The two don't really match up. I mean...what?

Langly on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Dosen't Grodd have telekinetic powers? At range he'd have enough time to protect himself, and I'd think it'd be pretty impossible for Bullseye to get the drop on him given Grodd's extensive telepathic powers. Bullseye would have to get in close, and up close he'd have zero chance.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm pretty sure neither Grodd or Bullseye are going to be doing much in the way of swimming, and it's going to take a hell of a lot more than one harpoon to keep Grodd from tearing Bulleye's face off or mind controlling the citizens of Atlantis and throwing them at him.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Langly wrote:
    What the hell does Photographic Reflexes mean? Photographic memory, ok, Superhuman Reflexes, ok. The two don't really match up. I mean...what?

He can emulate any movements he watches almost perfectly. (i.e. he watches Spidey's or DD's agility moves, and can now jump around to his own physical limit)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Can't Grodd just boddy jump into nearby sharks and shit as well? Actually this is a really cool fight!

edit: how long does Taskmaster's muscle memory last? i mean does he have the abilities of all the other combatants by watching the fight tapes?

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Langly wrote:

He can emulate any movements he watches almost perfectly. (i.e. he watches Spidey's or DD's agility moves, and can now jump around to his own physical limit)
    I'm actually pretty sure that it's perfectly. Also, he's watched tons of movies and fought tons of people so he has an endless supply of moves at his disposal.

He can also move twice as fast as the human body allows, though it puts a strain on his body if he does it for too long.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    Can't Grodd just boddy jump into nearby sharks and shit as well? Actually this is a really cool fight!

edit: how long does Taskmaster's muscle memory last? i mean does he have the abilities of all the other combatants by watching the fight tapes?
    I don't know if shark brains are developed enough to accommodate his mighty brain.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That's it!

Grodd mind controls a crapload of sharks. Sends thme at Bullseye.

Bullseye fires the harpoon.

Grodd blocks it with telekinesis.

Sharks tear Bullseye apart.

A perfectly logical scenario.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Langly wrote:

But SG is just a big strong guy, right? So there's no help there. All he can hope to do is (from the guns in the picture) Shoot him a whole lot and hope he falls down. Is SG particularly fast? Or does he shamble alot, like a normal zombie?

Langly on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    With two katanas, double speed and Lady Shiva's move set I don't think that SG has a prayer.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Grundy tends to move at a pretty good clip no matter who he's fighting at the time, but he's not going to be doing any backflips or somersaults any day soon.

Furu on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:
    That's it!

Grodd mind controls a crapload of sharks. Sends thme at Bullseye.

Bullseye fires the harpoon.

Grodd blocks it with telekinesis.

Sharks tear Bullseye apart.

A perfectly logical scenario.

I like the way you think.

august on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I'm not sure why Grodd couldn't just keep up a permanent tele-kinetic shield, it'll block what's thrown at him and won't require him to reactively use his power.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Grundy tends to move at a pretty good clip no matter who he's fighting at the time, but he's not going to be doing any backflips or somersaults any day soon.

I think we are missing one important piece of info for the SG/Taskmaster fight.

Is it on a Monday?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Balefuego wrote:
    Furu wrote:

I think we are missing one important piece of info for the SG/Taskmaster fight.

Is it on a Monday?

In this tourny alone Taskmaster has had access to tapes of Sabertooth Lady Shiva, and Bullseye. With those skill sets alone he should be able to clean up Solomon.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Septus wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not sure why Grodd couldn't just keep up a permanent tele-kinetic shield, it'll block what's thrown at him and won't require him to reactively use his power.
    If he's never done that in a fight, I think it's safe to assume he couldn't or wouldn't.

Bullseye causing Blob to choke on a rubber band ball or whatever probably didn't convince Grodd he was enough of a threat to warrant so much caution either. Regardless of whether or not Bullseye can still throw under water, Grodd will assume that that is the case.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Septus wrote:
    If he's never done that in a fight, I think it's safe to assume he couldn't or wouldn't.

Bullseye causing Blob to choke on a rubber band ball or whatever probably didn't convince Grodd he was enough of a threat to warrant so much caution either. Regardless of whether or not Bullseye can still throw under water, Grodd will assume that that is the case.

I think they're both fucked under water. I say Bullseye with a harpoon to the face, but if something happens that causes him to miss, he's got nothing. I don't think he can throw anything in water.

If that happens I think Grodd wins, controls some atlanteans to kill him.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Too bad he doesn't have one of Nemo's harpoon guns. You know, the semi-automatic ones.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So what the fuck does "perfect aim" mean again? I mean, to hit moving, thinking targets at a distance, you'd think it would have to some sort of future-sense or some shit.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:

He remembers his entire life down to every little detail, including everything he's ever seen anyone do. His ability to replicate a certain move never gets rusty either. The only thing he can't copy on a first try is copying a person's voice well enough to fake out a voice verification system (it takes a few).

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You know, I've read a fair chunk of Marvel in my day, but never a single comic with Taskmaster.

august on