As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PHALLA] Okami - Game over, Orochi victory!

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When you two start going on about game theory all I can think is this

GAMETHEORY.jpg

Seriously on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seriously wrote: »
    When you two start going on about game theory all I can think is this

m90z02.png

YESSSSSSSSSSS

(Red guy's shirt needs to be Orange.)

Edit: If you want something done right...

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My editing skills have already been taxed to the limit.

Besides, I wish to remain neutral to this grudge-thingey.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My editing skills have already been taxed to the limit.

Besides, I wish to remain neutral to this grudge-thingey.

I'd hardly call it a grudge. :lol:

Guy just has a raging hard-on to prove me wrong with hilarious(ly bad for the village) results.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    While that's entirely accurate, you gotta admit that you're not going out of your way to stop these hilarious(ly bad for the village) results.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    While that's entirely accurate, you gotta admit that you're not going out of your way to stop these hilarious(ly bad for the village) results.

Mostly because I'm dead. :P

STILL NO EXCUSE TO LIE DOWN ON THE JOB AM I RITE?

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cleonicus wrote: »
    Mafia killed on the first day. Looks like I gots me a grudge list.

Oh, right. Spreadsheeter; now I remember. :)

Darian on
  • Options
    ShiranuiShiranui Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Arkas wrote: »
    Thought it was kind of funny while combing through post histories...

Most of the top posters died days ago. B:L had more posts than anyone remaining in the final days, and he died day 1.

That's terrible.

The problem with the vulnerabilities system is that the specials needed the village's help, so a win would be heavily depended on an active network organizing the kills and of course active guardians. One failure in the setup will result in DOOM AND GLOOM.

You guys did the best with what you could. Except for Orange Soda, what the hell was up with his terrible plan? It was the perfect idea for someone evil or not village aligned, lie about your vulnerabilities, convince the village to not vote you out and vig you instead, and soak up all their one-shot kills and make them waste a day. (Un)fortunately for us, he was actually village aligned and likely only ended up wasting a few one shot kills, I hope.

Still, terrible game theory right there.

Given that 80% of the villagers died without using their attacks, I would hardly call the two (plus one from a head of Orochi) used on Orange Soda wasted. And given the rampant bandwagoning going on, his decision to get himself killed by other means in order to force people to discuss other vote options was, I believe, a valid decision -- although I think it wasn't set in stone that he needed to die one way or the other. I think he resigned himself to death too quickly when he saw the reactionary bandwagon form on him after the day 1 vote landed on you.

You are correct that had he been evil, he could have lied about his vulnerabilities and bought himself an extra day. But I don't agree that he should have just sat there and calmly ate the vote, if that's what you're saying.

Shiranui on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Shiranui wrote: »
    Arkas wrote: »
    Thought it was kind of funny while combing through post histories...

Most of the top posters died days ago. B:L had more posts than anyone remaining in the final days, and he died day 1.

That's terrible.

The problem with the vulnerabilities system is that the specials needed the village's help, so a win would be heavily depended on an active network organizing the kills and of course active guardians. One failure in the setup will result in DOOM AND GLOOM.

You guys did the best with what you could. Except for Orange Soda, what the hell was up with his terrible plan? It was the perfect idea for someone evil or not village aligned, lie about your vulnerabilities, convince the village to not vote you out and vig you instead, and soak up all their one-shot kills and make them waste a day. (Un)fortunately for us, he was actually village aligned and likely only ended up wasting a few one shot kills, I hope.

Still, terrible game theory right there.

Given that 80% of the villagers died without using their attacks, I would hardly call the two (plus one from a head of Orochi) used on Orange Soda wasted. And given the rampant bandwagoning going on, his decision to get himself killed by other means in order to force people to discuss other vote options was, I believe, a valid decision -- although I think it wasn't set in stone that he needed to die one way or the other. I think he resigned himself to death too quickly when he saw the reactionary bandwagon form on him after the day 1 vote landed on you.

You are correct that had he been evil, he could have lied about his vulnerabilities and bought himself an extra day. But I don't agree that he should have just sat there and calmly ate the vote, if that's what you're saying.

Nope. All I'm saying was that it would be a good plan for someone evil to pull off and it just made him look more suspicious.

Although I inferred more kills than that were wasted since you said "A LOT". My bad. :P

• Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I didn't even know I was considered special until I died, bloom is what I would call not a very descriptive ability, also being masoned with erich D:.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, what's the commonly accepted wisdom when it comes to attacks or other similar mechanics? I used one on the night I died just for the hell of using it, and because the village was so screwed by that point I figured I might as well go for it, but really, with the chances of me hitting a good special being much higher than ever hitting a baddie, and not having any clue if my attack would have any effect anyway, I was pretty well resigned to waiting for a seering and having the network direct my attack.

EDIT:

I missed two votes in this phalla and was horrendously inactive. I'm really sorry about that :( My week got way busier than I was expecting to, and every time I came back to the thread I'd read up on everything I missed and come up with zero leads anyway, so I didn't have much incentive to post. Not having any clue where the kills came from really put a damper on any analysis I tried to do.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    coutts wrote: »
    I didn't even know I was considered special until I died, bloom is what I would call not a very descriptive ability, also being masoned with erich D:.

you should have outed yourself as evil and gained my respect.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Conventional wisdom says that any attacks which are not mafia controlled should be used, since mafia controlled attacks never hit the bad guys, but even a random vig might. I haven't ever looked into the mathematics of it enough to say either way, but using them was likely a good idea.

Something the village could have done: organized a second vote or have the network head call a secondary target and ask one lesser spirit of each element to take them down.

Darian on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

you should have outed yourself as evil and gained my respect.

Or outed erich zahn as evil!

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ty Sharanui. You're being too kind. And yes, I had a great time, evidenced probly by how many posts I did on Saturday and Sunday last week. I swear, I'd post, then go have a cigarette and the whole time be agonizing about a vote and just trying to logicly think everything out. Afterwords, I'd come right back and post again. (I had the day off, what can I say? lol) I'm hooked. Thanks.

I was very suprised that I had any sort of proper aim.

Fun stuff everyone. Sorry if I pissed anyone off.

edit: Oh yeah Erich Zahn pretty much totalyl teamkilled everyone? Totally childish.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009

There were 20 good specials, but most of them were pretty low-power compared to what you'd typically associate the word with.

I couldn't be too specific with the Bloom description because I wanted to limit the metagaming (i.e. knowing that there were Guardian Saplings out there before any other player did would have enabled you to verify them too easily). I apologize if I erred too far on the side of vagueness.

The general idea was to have two mason pairs that could eventually link up through good luck or through risky (public) play. The other pair also controlled the guardings, so had you succeeded, it would have been quite a potent four-player network.

Shiranui on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    oaklore, you were also an invaluable source of Okami-themed cuteness.
    Amaterasu.jpg

Shiranui on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If Orochi won, and I was a Orochi head, does that mean I won? It would be the first mafia win for me. And I did a big part in it. I killed a network and two specials!

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Of course you won. =]

Shiranui on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quick question tho about Phallas in general that isn't mentioned in the sticky:

- Do the evil people start the game knowing who else is evil (already networked), in this game and typically?

- Is it typical that you recieve a role PM every time (even if you have no role or power outside of voting)?

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    --Typically yes, not always (dunno about this game)

--Sometimes, depends on the host. If not in PM form, though, there's almost always a "default" villager PM posted in the OP.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oaklore wrote: »

- Do the evil people start the game knowing who else is evil (already networked), in this game and typically?

- Is it typical that you recieve a role PM every time (even if you have no role or power outside of voting)?

- Yes, typically a Mafia faction start off knowing one another. Since they share a kill, it's best to ensure they don't use it on themselves.

- Varies from game to game. In the few I've been in, I'd guess about half I've seen everyone get a PM, but there seems to be a recent trend toward just posting the villager role in the OP, and stating that if you got no PM, you're a villager.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I see my first question is actually covered in the sticky.

So evils start off knowing eachother...? That is wicked.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Reading this OP would be useful when playing these games.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That's the basic idea behind the game, to see if a large but initially clueless majority can get their act together quick enough to excise the smaller but networked team working to their destruction.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Something the village could have done: organized a second vote or have the network head call a secondary target and ask one lesser spirit of each element to take them down.

I am terrible.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That's the basic idea behind the game, to see if a large but initially clueless majority can get their act together quick enough to excise the smaller but networked team working to their destruction.

Yeah, thats how it worked in Werewolf too. Just wasn't sure that that's a majority here on the PA boards and all.

Nocturne. That was the sticky I mentioned. TY.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

In a basic game of Phalla, there are two factions- 1) a masoned mafia group who are a small percentage of the players, who have no powers other than kill(s) and the fact that they are masoned. 2) a village faction with numerical superiority and a variety of special abilities, but who are almost all un-masoned at the beginning. Occasionally you get 3) neutral factions that can win with anyone and/or one-man evil factions (serial killer) in a basic-y game.

The game is all about "can the village network itself before the mafia eat away their numbers and win"

Typically everyone receives a role PM, though sometimes the host will post a generic one in the thread so that a) they don't have to send out a bunch of PMs, and b) the baddies aren't totally unable to hide when someone asks them "so what's your win condition?".

Be aware that multiple mafia factions, neutral factions, conversions, hit points, locations and all sorts of craziness happen occasionally, though this type of thing is generally advertised during signups.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    El Skid wrote: »

In a basic game of Phalla, there are two factions- 1) a masoned mafia group who are a small percentage of the players, who have no powers other than kill(s) and the fact that they are masoned. 2) a village faction with numerical superiority and a variety of special abilities, but who are almost all un-masoned at the beginning. Occasionally you get 3) neutral factions that can win with anyone and/or one-man evil factions (serial killer) in a basic-y game.

The game is all about "can the village network itself before the mafia eat away their numbers and win"

Typically everyone receives a role PM, though sometimes the host will post a generic one in the thread so that a) they don't have to send out a bunch of PMs, and b) the baddies aren't totally unable to hide when someone asks them "so what's your win condition?".

Be aware that multiple mafia factions, neutral factions, conversions, hit points, locations and all sorts of craziness happen occasionally, though this type of thing is generally advertised during signups.

Sweet. TY. I'm looking forward to the next!
    CUTE-okami.jpg

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    ArkasArkas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Boo. Still no unlock on the evil boards?

Arkas on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CJ has to do it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CJ has to do it.

What ever happened to that "I can do it" spirit? :P

• Options
    edited July 2009
    CJ has to do it.

I thought he made us all admins... oh well.

I can tell you what happened if you want!

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You guys killed me because I was so dangerous and perceptive, right?

Seriously on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    I'd ask why they killed me but I'm pretty sure the reasoning was pretty obvious. I don't blame the guards for failing to protect me though, because they tried! I'm just glad I ended up getting two evils on the bandwagon, and figured out two more, it's more than I usually can do in a game like this.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CJ has to do it.

Did you go for me day seven because I kept asking about weakenesses?

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Great job, team. :)

http://crimsonorochi.proboards.com/index.cgi

Unlocked.

And I am the worst evil at staying off radar. :( Ah well. Glad we still pulled it off.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just now took a look at the spreadsheet.

And here I thought I was offed by the mafia. But no, instead it was the insanely powerful mass murderer.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CJ has to do it.

Did you go for me day seven because I kept asking about weakenesses?

Not sure about day 7, but on all the previous days when people came into the thread and said "I'm weak to these three things" we would toss an appropriate kill that way, just in case they were telling the truth. And even if they didn't specify which three things, we'd still be likely to throw a few heads that way for the easy kill.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I just now took a look at the spreadsheet.

And here I thought I was offed by the mafia. But no, instead it was the insanely powerful mass murderer.

My one great regret was that he didn't claim the Amaterasu role until it was too late.

Shiranui on