Options

Racial Profiling or Rightful Investigation?

145791031

Posts

  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just because he didn't cause a particular black person to die through negligence, and just because he "has black friends" doesn't mean he's incapable of acting in a racist way. And really I think if anyone's totally out of touch on the issue of race it's most white people.

    If you, say, went out of your way to look up the opinions of black people about the issue, or paid attention to the viewpoints of the majority of black commenters on this issue (and more broadly race relations in general), you'd see a very different, and more accurate story. But generally white people prefer to stay in their happy little bubble of post-racialism and pats on the back, and if it means ignoring black opinions to maintain that, well gosh darn it a few grunts about race-cards race-baiting are a-ok.

    cherv1 on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yall wrote: »
    Has anyone linked/read the police report? The accounts differ greatly regarding Gates behavior.

    I'm anxious to hear other witnesses describe his actions.

    According to the guy who took the photograph (he was a passerby) said Gates was "agitated" and
    “I know he was tired and upset, but someone of his stature and education should be a little more understanding,’’ he said.

    I mean normally I'm at nigh Than levels of cop-bashing but the knee-jerk reactions here are ridiculous.

    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Just because he didn't cause a particular black person to die through negligence, and just because he "has black friends" doesn't mean he's incapable of acting in a racist way. And really I think if anyone's totally out of touch on the issue of race it's most white people.
    Perhaps. But if you're going to claim this cop is racist, you're going to have to back it up. You don't get to just default assume that a white person is racist. That's actually racism, too.

    Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    If you, say, went out of your way to look up the opinions of black people about the issue, or paid attention to the viewpoints of the majority of black commenters on this issue (and more broadly race relations in general), you'd see a very different, and more accurate story.

    I'm gonna take the accounts of witnesses.

    Sheep on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    If you, say, went out of your way to look up the opinions of black people about the issue, or paid attention to the viewpoints of the majority of black commenters on this issue (and more broadly race relations in general), you'd see a very different, and more accurate story.

    I'm gonna take the accounts of witnesses.

    If you were a black man you'd know that those witnesses are racist too. Especially the Uncle Tom cop who was one of the arresting officers. Anyone who doesn't agree is just out of touch and doesn't understand /emo

    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    If you, say, went out of your way to look up the opinions of black people about the issue, or paid attention to the viewpoints of the majority of black commenters on this issue (and more broadly race relations in general), you'd see a very different, and more accurate story.

    I'm gonna take the accounts of witnesses.

    If you were a black man you'd know that those witnesses are racist too. Especially the Uncle Tom cop who was one of the arresting officers. Anyone who doesn't agree is just out of touch and is also racist themselves

    fixed that for you

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Just because he didn't cause a particular black person to die through negligence, and just because he "has black friends" doesn't mean he's incapable of acting in a racist way. And really I think if anyone's totally out of touch on the issue of race it's most white people.
    Perhaps. But if you're going to claim this cop is racist, you're going to have to back it up. You don't get to just default assume that a white person is racist. That's actually racism, too.

    Well, as a side note that's a matter of a bit of dispute among experts on racism (and sexism). By some definitions, racism = prejudice + power (likewise with sexism).
    Sheep wrote: »
    If you, say, went out of your way to look up the opinions of black people about the issue, or paid attention to the viewpoints of the majority of black commenters on this issue (and more broadly race relations in general), you'd see a very different, and more accurate story.
    I'm gonna take the accounts of witnesses.

    Not just on this, on race in general.

    cherv1 on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Just because he didn't cause a particular black person to die through negligence, and just because he "has black friends" doesn't mean he's incapable of acting in a racist way. And really I think if anyone's totally out of touch on the issue of race it's most white people.

    If you, say, went out of your way to look up the opinions of black people about the issue, or paid attention to the viewpoints of the majority of black commenters on this issue (and more broadly race relations in general), you'd see a very different, and more accurate story. But generally white people prefer to stay in their happy little bubble of post-racialism and pats on the back, and if it means ignoring black opinions to maintain that, well gosh darn it a few grunts about race-cards race-baiting are a-ok.

    Look dude, this is basically total bullshit. Your entire post here is 'don't trust whitey, they don't know', and 'blacks are the only ones who know what's going on'. You are basically saying that you can't trust the words of the police, or witnesses, or anything, if they are white.

    Based on everything I've read, it sounds like there was zero racist intent in this entire debacle. The cops had a reason to be there. They did not single him out because of his race. They had a reason for arresting him (whether or not you think it's valid is a matter of opinion, and a case of he said/she said). None of this has anything to do with race. If I'm wrong on any of this, please correct me.

    Just saying that white people can't understand why this is racist is basically saying 'race relations can never move forward in this country'. It's moronic and unhelpful.

    SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Modern Man wrote: »
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Just because he didn't cause a particular black person to die through negligence, and just because he "has black friends" doesn't mean he's incapable of acting in a racist way. And really I think if anyone's totally out of touch on the issue of race it's most white people.
    Perhaps. But if you're going to claim this cop is racist, you're going to have to back it up. You don't get to just default assume that a white person is racist. That's actually racism, too.

    Well, as a side note that's a matter of a bit of dispute among experts on racism (and sexism). By some definitions, racism = prejudice + power (likewise with sexism).
    Which is just a cop-out by leftist academics so that they can be able to say that only white people can be racist. Victimization is a big industry in America, and your "experts on racism" want to maintain a monopoly on the franchise.

    Try telling a white kid in a predominantly black inner-city school that he isn't getting racist treatment from his black classmates.

    Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Try telling a white kid in a predominantly black inner-city school that he isn't getting racist treatment from his black classmates.

    Yo. You also forgot the racism BETWEEN BLACK PEOPLE. Maybe not as overt, but I've definitely seen a bias based on whether they're light or dark skinned.

    SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Try telling a white kid in a predominantly black inner-city school that he isn't getting racist treatment from his black classmates.
    Wouldn't those classmates be in a position of relative power, in that case?

    I'm not saying that I agree that prejudice+power is the only "true" form of racism, but that seems like a poor counter-example.

    Bama on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Try telling a white kid in a predominantly black inner-city school that he isn't getting racist treatment from his black classmates.

    Yo. You also forgot the racism BETWEEN BLACK PEOPLE. Maybe not as overt, but I've definitely seen a bias based on whether they're light or dark skinned.

    What's that movie about a black man in either WWII or Vietnam who has an incredibly racist black drill sargeant who constantly harasses the main character and ends up dead?

    Sheep on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    lolz trust a lawyer?

    That letter ignores the part where Gates, instead of talking with the cop when they first enter the house, picks up the phone to call someone (probably the lawyer) and asking for the cop and police chief's name.

    kaliyama wrote: »
    The real issue is that we let cops get away with being such dickheads to people.

    While that may be true for some cops, Gates was being the dickhead first.

    Woaaah. This is terrifying. Being a jerk isn't a punishable crime.

    kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    lolz trust a lawyer?

    That letter ignores the part where Gates, instead of talking with the cop when they first enter the house, picks up the phone to call someone (probably the lawyer) and asking for the cop and police chief's name.

    kaliyama wrote: »
    The real issue is that we let cops get away with being such dickheads to people.

    While that may be true for some cops, Gates was being the dickhead first.

    Woaaah. This is terrifying. Being a jerk isn't a punishable crime.

    It is if it's in public and it's loud.

    Sheep on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And don't forget Sonia Sotomayor, she is also a reverse-racist.

    cherv1 on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wonder why they're not going to prosecute the public loudness.

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    And don't forget Sonia Sotomayor, she is also a reverse-racist.
    This is a useless term. A reverse racist would be someone who isn't racist.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    And don't forget Sonia Sotomayor, she is also a reverse-racist.

    Grasping for straws there...

    This isn't the racism thread.

    Sheep on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    lolz trust a lawyer?

    That letter ignores the part where Gates, instead of talking with the cop when they first enter the house, picks up the phone to call someone (probably the lawyer) and asking for the cop and police chief's name.

    kaliyama wrote: »
    The real issue is that we let cops get away with being such dickheads to people.

    While that may be true for some cops, Gates was being the dickhead first.

    Woaaah. This is terrifying. Being a jerk isn't a punishable crime.

    It is if it's in public and it's loud.

    Sort of. Being a jerk in quiet to a police officer certainly isn't a crime. It would be an abuse of public disturbance laws in this case, to be certain. Him arguing with the cop didn't cause a public disturbance. If the cops didn't get caught doing something they shouldn't, and usually get away with, they wouldn't have dropped the charges.

    kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    If the cops didn't get caught doing something they shouldn't, and usually get away with, they wouldn't have dropped the charges.

    Wut?

    Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »
    If the cops didn't get caught doing something they shouldn't, and usually get away with, they wouldn't have dropped the charges.

    Wut?
    He's saying the charges were dropped because the DA/police know they did something wrong, which is unusual. Usually they can get away with just about anything.

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    lolz trust a lawyer?

    That letter ignores the part where Gates, instead of talking with the cop when they first enter the house, picks up the phone to call someone (probably the lawyer) and asking for the cop and police chief's name.

    kaliyama wrote: »
    The real issue is that we let cops get away with being such dickheads to people.

    While that may be true for some cops, Gates was being the dickhead first.

    Woaaah. This is terrifying. Being a jerk isn't a punishable crime.

    It is if it's in public and it's loud.

    Sort of. Being a jerk in quiet to a police officer certainly isn't a crime. It would be an abuse of public disturbance laws in this case, to be certain. Him arguing with the cop didn't cause a public disturbance. If the cops didn't get caught doing something they shouldn't, and usually get away with, they wouldn't have dropped the charges.
    "Disorderly conduct" is basically a catch-all charge for "You're an asshole who's wasted our time, so now we're going to waste some of yours". They very rarely go to trial. It's pretty much completely punitive.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Try telling a white kid in a predominantly black inner-city school that he isn't getting racist treatment from his black classmates.

    Yo. You also forgot the racism BETWEEN BLACK PEOPLE. Maybe not as overt, but I've definitely seen a bias based on whether they're light or dark skinned.

    Ironic then, that Gates is part of the W. E. B. Du Bois institute or whatever the fuck it is. (IIRC he was one of those that favored 'light' skinned over 'dark')

    Yall on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love how everyone keeps saying the cop "wouldn't leave" when it no where says that in the report.

    Lemme give you a timeline of what we have

    -Gates pries open door
    -Neihbor sees this, and calls cops describing 2 black people forcing entry
    -Gates enters home and starts calling the property people
    -Cop shows up to invesitage B&E call
    -Cop meets Gates, and asks him to step out on porch
    -Gates refuses and calls him racists
    -Cop explains situation
    -Gates threatens cop saying "You dont know who your messing with, and you wont hear the end of this"
    -Cop asks him to provide I.D.
    -Gates refuses, then eventually turns it over
    -Gates shows him I.D. while flipping out and accusing the Cop of Racial Bias.
    -Gates yells at cop and demands his badge number and name
    -Cop starts leaving the house
    -Gates follows Cop onto porch, still overacting and unleashing a verbale tirade on the officer.
    -Cop warns Gates he's becoming disorderly.
    -Gates continues
    -Cop warns him again
    -No stop
    -Cop arrests him in probably the most careful manner, placing hands in front of him and grabbing a cane for Gates, while making sure there is someone to lock up the house.

    Oh yea, and this cop is SUCH a racist that in 1993 he gave mouth to mouth to Boston Celtics's Reggie Lewis when he suffered a heart attack. Obviously he could have tried harder...

    It had nothing to do with race, the stupid proffessor MADE it about race.

    Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually they cuffed him behind the back first, Gates said that it hurt him, so they switched to the front.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I love how everyone keeps saying the cop "wouldn't leave" when it no where says that in the report.

    The only people who are saying that are the only people who are wrong.

    Sheep on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought the cop left the house because of the acoustics in the kitchen were bad while Gates was loud and upset. Which, in my mind, translated to "lets go outside where I can arrest your ass for being loud."

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought the cop left the house because of the acoustics in the kitchen were bad while Gates was loud and upset. Which, in my mind, translated to "lets go outside where I can arrest your ass for being loud."

    The cop left the house because police can't arrest people in their homes for a misdemeanor in Massachusetts without a warrant. He wanted to arrest him, so he lured Gates outside.

    kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »

    Sort of. Being a jerk in quiet to a police officer certainly isn't a crime. It would be an abuse of public disturbance laws in this case, to be certain. Him arguing with the cop didn't cause a public disturbance. If the cops didn't get caught doing something they shouldn't, and usually get away with, they wouldn't have dropped the charges.

    The charges were dropped because Public Officials are scared to death of "Racism" claims from a Harvard Professor that made it into national news lines.



    Anyone in here talking about the Presidents comment on this last night? It was very stupid of HIM to even say anything about it.

    Buddies on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought the cop left the house because of the acoustics in the kitchen were bad while Gates was loud and upset. Which, in my mind, translated to "lets go outside where I can arrest your ass for being loud."

    When they wen't outside, the cop warned him sufficiently that he was being disorderly. When you have a cop give you two verbal warnings that you should probably stop being so loud or you will be deemed as disorderly, you can't realy claim that arresting him was premeditated.
    Buddies wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »

    Sort of. Being a jerk in quiet to a police officer certainly isn't a crime. It would be an abuse of public disturbance laws in this case, to be certain. Him arguing with the cop didn't cause a public disturbance. If the cops didn't get caught doing something they shouldn't, and usually get away with, they wouldn't have dropped the charges.


    Anyone in here talking about the Presidents comment on this last night? It was very stupid of HIM to even say anything about it.

    Least I can finally say I disagree with Obama on something.

    Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought the cop left the house because of the acoustics in the kitchen were bad while Gates was loud and upset. Which, in my mind, translated to "lets go outside where I can arrest your ass for being loud."

    When they wen't outside, the cop warned him sufficiently that he was being disorderly. When you have a cop give you two verbal warnings that you should probably stop being so loud or you will be deemed as disorderly, you can't realy claim that arresting him was premeditated.
    What? That gives me even better reason to think that the only reason the officer wanted to go outside was to get Gates to continue to be loud somewhere where he could arrest him.

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    I thought the cop left the house because of the acoustics in the kitchen were bad while Gates was loud and upset. Which, in my mind, translated to "lets go outside where I can arrest your ass for being loud."

    The cop left the house because police can't arrest people in their homes for a misdemeanor in Massachusetts without a warrant. He wanted to arrest him, so he lured Gates outside.

    That's quite the assumption, especially since (again according to the report) the officer gave him several warnings while they were outdoors.

    If I'm going to be all tricky and bait someone into something, I'm probably not going to warn them twice before I set off the trap.

    Yall on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought the cop left the house because of the acoustics in the kitchen were bad while Gates was loud and upset. Which, in my mind, translated to "lets go outside where I can arrest your ass for being loud."

    When they wen't outside, the cop warned him sufficiently that he was being disorderly. When you have a cop give you two verbal warnings that you should probably stop being so loud or you will be deemed as disorderly, you can't realy claim that arresting him was premeditated.
    What? That gives me even better reason to think that the only reason the officer wanted to go outside was to get Gates to continue to be loud somewhere where he could arrest him.

    Duh. If people were this deferential to whoever had a uniform and a gun 200 years ago we'd all be typing in this forum and using too many "u"s.

    kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Buddies wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »

    Sort of. Being a jerk in quiet to a police officer certainly isn't a crime. It would be an abuse of public disturbance laws in this case, to be certain. Him arguing with the cop didn't cause a public disturbance. If the cops didn't get caught doing something they shouldn't, and usually get away with, they wouldn't have dropped the charges.

    The charges were dropped because Public Officials are scared to death of "Racism" claims from a Harvard Professor that made it into national news lines.



    Anyone in here talking about the Presidents comment on this last night? It was very stupid of HIM to even say anything about it.

    That's odd, if they were so scared of racism you'd have thought that maybe the officer in question may have backed down or made some sort of apology, even when a certain even more high up black man criticised his actions.

    cherv1 on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All right here's the thing.

    Several people here have tried to reduce this to a clash of egos between a famous professor and an asshole cop. The idea is that Gates got what was coming to him by provoking the cop's ego.

    But hey guess what

    When private citizen Henry Louis Gates decides to swing his dick around, it is not an abuse of power. When a police officer responds in kind, it absolutely is.

    Hachface on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought the cop left the house because of the acoustics in the kitchen were bad while Gates was loud and upset. Which, in my mind, translated to "lets go outside where I can arrest your ass for being loud."

    When they wen't outside, the cop warned him sufficiently that he was being disorderly. When you have a cop give you two verbal warnings that you should probably stop being so loud or you will be deemed as disorderly, you can't realy claim that arresting him was premeditated.
    What? That gives me even better reason to think that the only reason the officer wanted to go outside was to get Gates to continue to be loud somewhere where he could arrest him.

    The cop had no other reason to stay in the house, (which you guys have already made clear), Gates could have gotten away pretty damn easily if he had just shut up. If the cop wanted to arrest him from the git go, then he would have. But he gave Gates sufficient amount of time to stop blathering, he warned him TWICE, and Gates didn't stop. Its not that hard to stop yelling at someone, all you have to do is shut your mouth. Gates was in the wrong 100%, the cop was not being racist, yet Gate's Pride wouldn't let it go and he HAD to make it about Racial Profiling. He should have just let his pride go and clear it up later. But he didn't he wanted more, and thats why he got himself arrested for disorderly conduct.

    Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    All right here's the thing.

    Several people here have tried to reduce this to a clash of egos between a famous professor and an asshole cop. The idea is that Gates got what was coming to him by provoking the cop's ego.

    But hey guess what

    When private citizen Henry Louis Gates decides to swing his dick around, it is not an abuse of power. When a police officer responds in kind, it absolutely is.

    The counter-discourse, so far, has been "Well, he should have expected it if he sassed a cop." While true, this doesn't mean we should allow police officers to arrest anyone who hurts their feelings. I'm not sure if people are saying that police officers should be able to, or have just completely conceded that nobody can effectively challenge the authority of police officers.

    kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    All right here's the thing.

    Several people here have tried to reduce this to a clash of egos between a famous professor and an asshole cop. The idea is that Gates got what was coming to him by provoking the cop's ego.

    But hey guess what

    When private citizen Henry Louis Gates decides to swing his dick around, it is not an abuse of power. When a police officer responds in kind, it absolutely is.

    The counter-discourse, so far, has been "Well, he should have expected it if he sassed a cop." While true, this doesn't mean we should allow police officers to arrest anyone who hurts their feelings. I'm not sure if people are saying that police officers should be able to, or have just completely conceded that nobody can effectively challenge the authority of police officers.

    You're against disorderly conduct charges in general then?
    Buddies wrote: »
    Anyone in here talking about the Presidents comment on this last night? It was very stupid of HIM to even say anything about it.

    He was asked a direct question about it. I'm in favor of candor and honesty in my public officials, don't know about you.

    lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    All right here's the thing.

    Several people here have tried to reduce this to a clash of egos between a famous professor and an asshole cop. The idea is that Gates got what was coming to him by provoking the cop's ego.

    But hey guess what

    When private citizen Henry Louis Gates decides to swing his dick around, it is not an abuse of power. When a police officer responds in kind, it absolutely is.

    The counter-discourse, so far, has been "Well, he should have expected it if he sassed a cop." While true, this doesn't mean we should allow police officers to arrest anyone who hurts their feelings. I'm not sure if people are saying that police officers should be able to, or have just completely conceded that nobody can effectively challenge the authority of police officers.

    I think it's a touch more than that.

    Something along the lines of:

    Cop: "Ok now I'm saying you are in violation of the law and I'm asking you to stop."

    Gates "Nu-uh"

    Cop: "No really - I'm serial"

    Gates: "Yo mama"

    Regardless of race, if a police officer says he is about to arrest you because of your current course of action(s) it's best to at least listen to him/her for just a second.

    Yall on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Buddies wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »

    Sort of. Being a jerk in quiet to a police officer certainly isn't a crime. It would be an abuse of public disturbance laws in this case, to be certain. Him arguing with the cop didn't cause a public disturbance. If the cops didn't get caught doing something they shouldn't, and usually get away with, they wouldn't have dropped the charges.

    The charges were dropped because Public Officials are scared to death of "Racism" claims from a Harvard Professor that made it into national news lines.



    Anyone in here talking about the Presidents comment on this last night? It was very stupid of HIM to even say anything about it.

    That's odd, if they were so scared of racism you'd have thought that maybe the officer in question may have backed down or made some sort of apology, even when a certain even more high up black man criticised his actions.


    The Police Officer in question is not a Public elected Official. Nor is he racist. He is a Cop that does his job. Could the arrest been avoided? Yea, through different actions taken by both parties. Should the cop apologize for doing things he has every right to do? No, I don't think so.


    Police Report via The Smoking Gun for those that haven't read it and are still interested.

    Buddies on
Sign In or Register to comment.