As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

College housing with exotic pets?

MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so I'm 27 and if I don't go to college real soon I don't think I'm ever going to. The thing is I have 3 pet parrots. The original master plan was that my friend, who was about to start going for his masters degree, was going to split rent on a house with me and all would be wonderful. Problem is that there has since been some kind of withholding of paper work that screwed him over for getting into the school this year and he is either going to have to go to one of the other schools that did accept him, or get stuck paying off his student loans before he can go back again. Either way, that leaves me with no one to split rent with.

So is there some other kind of inexpensive housing that I don't know about that would tolerate 3 parrots?

MushroomStick on

• Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's basically entirely dependent on your school, area, etc. There's no universal rule for this.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    From what I've seen, any housing that the school offers won't allow anything other than fish. YMMV, though.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm allowed to have birds and small rodents in my school housing.

There is no way we can help you out without knowing more about your circumstance.

Why don't you ask the school? If they're any good, they'll give you a hand - just say "yo teach, I got three parrots, where should I live"

Charles Kinbote on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I showed up for move-in day, and my roommate had three parrots, I'd be requesting another roommate.

I would start checking Craigslist and the classifieds, and make sure you make them aware of your birds.

Thanatos on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    School housing is generally more expensive than an apartment, at least in Cincinnati. Find an efficiency and cut down expenses (like exotic birds).

TL DR on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This would be for Northern Illinois university. The original plan was to go halves on a house with my best friend, who is well aware of my pets. I already know school housing wouldn't permit them. They are not all small birds - a sun conure, an eclectus, and a green-winged macaw - so I'm thinking an apartment wouldn't exactly invite me in with open arms. This thread is kind of my last ditch effort to see if there's some obvious solution that I'm overlooking (no, I'm not going to get rid of the birds.)

MushroomStick on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Apartments are usually fine with birds with a pet deposit. If the place allows pets, birds are usually in, it's specific dog breeds they usually have issues with.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited July 2009
    Even if one of them has a four foot wingspan?

MushroomStick on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    roc72dpi5087896.jpg

TL DR on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Apartments usually only care if you can keep it in a cage, just in case maintenance needs to get into your place.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited July 2009
    I'm worried that neighbors would complain about the noise. Even though my birds are relatively good about it (when its dark out and the lights are off, they know its bed time) there are a few times a day where they feel the need to express themselves. And if I dare to sleep until noon they give me the business.

MushroomStick on
  • Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A full-disclosure Craigslist ad is indeed your best bet. I had trouble finding a place for myself, a guinea pig and a cat not too long ago, and managed to locate a girl who needed to split a house and had a bearded dragon of her own. :D

Now I'm back in a college town, and the apartment/town houses have rules varying from No Pets Whatsoever to Anything Goes! to Anything But Ferrets and Rabbits--in other words, different places will be more concerned with dog breeds/sizes, or - in my lease's case - no chewing/stinky animals that'll ruin the floors, or potential noise hazards. If in doubt, call and speak to the landlord of a place you're interested in (not an office flunky or even a potential roomie who's "pretty sure it'll be okay"...people rarely check their own goddamn leases).

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yeah dorms (and probably any other university housing) will be out of the question. My undergrad university had some "family" housing that they would rent to non-traditionals and people with kids, so if you're somewhere with arrangements like that it might be a better option.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm worried that neighbors would complain about the noise. Even though my birds are relatively good about it (when its dark out and the lights are off, they know its bed time) there are a few times a day where they feel the need to express themselves. And if I dare to sleep until noon they give me the business.

This is a VERY valid concern. I own a Senegal and a Patagonian Conure, and I know in my heart that if I lived in an apartment, let alone student housing, that my neighbors would KILL ME. Heck, people who call me on the phone want to strangle the Patagonian, and he's all the way upstairs, in another room (yay for a 117dB squawk)!

If I was your roommate, I'd be asking to play with the birds all the time; but those are all pretty loud birds, relatively speaking. There are very few places that actually have effective insulation between units such that they won't be auidble outside the apartment. I've kept two cockatiels in an apartment and not gotten complaints, but I strongly suspect that conures and macaws will exceed most people's tolerance. Many people sleep during the day, and even a small amount of noise can be supremely irritating. And I know full well that birds can go on and on and on... Bird owners unsterstand about the flock calls, and we tend to tune out a lot of the background noise, but not everyone understands.

Your best bet is some sort of housing that doesn't share walls. And if you have to have a roommate, one who loves birds, not just one who isn't opposed to the idea of birds.

darkgrue on