As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some comedy.

EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I want some brand new comedy in my life, and as a gift (and a template of how I'd like to see your recommendations appear) I'll share with you some of my favourites.

These're the ones you know because you're all AMERICAN.

Arrested Development
arrested_development_cast_promo_photo.jpeg
Featuring George Bluth, Oscar Bluth, George Oscar Bluth, Michael Bluth, George Michael Bluth, Lucille 1, Lucille 2, a Loose Seal, Mabey, Annyong (Hel-Loh) and other characters whose names are more normal, this is by far the most intelligent and subtle of all American comedies. The story of a completely dysfunctional wealthy family who lose everything, and the one son who struggles to keep them together. Incredibly witty.

30 Rock
400_30rock_castphoto_080325_nbc_mellenmathew.jpg
The story of Liz Lemon, head writer of a live comedy show (think SNL) and the excellently eccentric group of writers and actors who she oversees, among others, from whom much of the comedy is spawned. Of note is her boss, Jack Donaghy (played by Alex Baldwin), whose dry delivery is consistently hilarious. This is a sharp comedy with great wordplay and smart gags, and some endearing character interactions.

How I Met Your Mother
how-i-met-your-mother.jpg
Your more traditional American Sitcom, with a group of friends going about their New York city lives. Its simplicity and the affection of the group makes it a very digestible show, and the dialogue's nice and... comfy? That sounds odd to say, but watch a bunch and you'll realise what I mean. The general plot is that it's a story being told in 2030 of how this one guy, Ted, met his future wife (the mother that he's telling his kids this story to), but in reality there's much more to it. The breakaway character is Barney, who is, well, awesome.

And here's the stuff you don't know anything about because it's BRITISH.

Snuff Box
Matt%20Berry%20and%20Rich%20Fulcher%20SnuffBox.jpg
A sort of sketch show with plot, about the hangman for the King of England and his assistant, and their delightfully surreal adventures surrounding the gentleman's cigar club where they spend most of their time. The door next to the men's lavatory leads to the same room but in the 19th Century, where they visit their ancestors for advice, and often, prostitutes. It's very odd, but an absolute treat. Watch it in one sitting. Oh, and the theme song's awesome.

Spaced
Do NOT tell me that you've not watched Spaced.

Look Around You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCWA7uevo_Q
This is a short show, of ten-minute long clips, which is a perfect parody of those old science shows you used to be shown in school. Americans might not get it, but check out the clip. They're all on youtube. It had a second season with a different format, but the first is by far the best. Also search youtube for 'birds of britain' once you're done.

Green Wing
cast_photo_1.jpg
Hospital comedy, but we don't actually see them do any medicine. A bunch of doctors and other administrative types who are all ridiculously odd but very well imagined, having relationships and generally not doing much work. Pretty surreal and with great editing, this is an absolute gem of a show.

IMPORTANT:
Please use this thread to recommend any great shows, using images and video and at least a little description, and feel free to post the same for anything already described. Please, please back up your opinions with description - I want people to be able to come away with actual knowledge of shows, not just people saying 'i like X/i dislike X'.

EddieDean on

• Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    are you specifically looking for series comedy, or standup stuff too?

Nerissa on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    EddieDean wrote: »
    Hospital comedy. A bunch of doctors and other administrative types who are all ridiculously odd but very well imagined, having relationships. Pretty surreal and with great editing, this is an absolute gem of a show.

Hmm...a surreal comedy set in a hospital, with odd characters and great editing...

Sorry, can't think of a comparable show.

In the meantime, below is a random YouTube clip that I hope you find amusing.

Scrubs - Top 5 Daydream Sequences

Lawndart on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scrubs is also fantastic, though they're very different shows. And sure, if you want to post standup, post some standup. Sketch comedy also welcome.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited July 2009
    Greg the Bunny

GregTheBunny.jpg

Funny, but short lived. The episodes are kind of uneven, but the funny ones are very funny. The setting is a children's show in a world where puppets are "real people". Foul mouth, substance abusing puppets and Seth Green. Sarah Silverman is pretty annoying, but she doesn't screw it up too bad. Some 'out takes'.

Also, no "The Office"? It comes in British (I'm sure you knew this), American, and Dutch flavors, maybe others.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chappelle's Show

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chappelle's Show

Let me help you out here by providing some footage

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    RuzanRuzan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really enjoy the US and British versions of "The Office", you should check them out.

[off topic] Gundam, your avatar and quote are awesome :)

Ruzan on
    If you say "plz" because it is shorter than "please" then I'll say "no" because it is shorter than "yes".
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jeff Dunham is hillarious, you should definitely check out his act.

He's a ventrilloquist, with a number of puppets, each with a distinct voice & personality.

I won't include any Achmed links because they're easy to find... Peanut (the purple ape-thing) is probably one of my favorites, but every single one of his characters is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DT41m86N4

Nerissa on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No mention of Better off Ted?

You're all dead to me

Khavall on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Srsly.

If I weren't at work I would post some Youtube or Hulu action. Someone feel free to do so in my stead.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No Curb Your Enthusiasm? Boo. It's going to be a while before the next season starts, but the last one was outstanding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUjKZmqRvM

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When i want to get a serious laugh, I always head to youtube and watch clips from Gabriel Iglesias

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIScMJnxBAY

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »

Srsly.

If I weren't at work I would post some Youtube or Hulu action. Someone feel free to do so in my stead.
    I was just going to come in here with a "Thread needs more Always Sunny," but my fellow Kansas (boy?) beat me to it.

Youtube is kind of sparse, mostly mashups to Night Man/Day Man and promo clips. Here's the Hulu page.

This show really needs more love. It's like Seinfeld gone off it's meds. Pure gold.

Night Man. Considered yourself warned.
    Day Man. For much needed balance.

Promo Music Video, because I'm a whore.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm glad to see Spaced and Snuff Box have been mentioned.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    durkinjdurkinj Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nurse Jackie - serious sometimes, but bust-a-gut laughing quite often.

durkinj on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Srsly.

I was just going to come in here with a "Thread needs more Always Sunny," but my fellow Kansas (boy?) beat me to it.

Youtube is kind of sparse, mostly mashups to Night Man/Day Man and promo clips.
    This show really needs more love. It's like Seinfeld gone off it's meds. Pure gold.

I'll third this so hard. SO HARD.

I'm a pretty big fan of it's always sunny, on the British side of things, I'm a fan of The Mighty Boosh and the IT Crowd if there's a healthy bit of geek in you. Pretty much anytime you get Richard Ayoade, Matt Berry, and/or Noel Fielding you're bound for comic gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKwQ_zeRwEs

I also went back and watched Black Adder recently. Great stuff if you can track it down, Rowan Atkinson is an awesome anti-hero, and you get to see Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie as you move into later seasons. Both of Hugh Laurie's character's are absolutely hilarious.
    Subtitles are lame, but you'll get the idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfrOo3qxVmM

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Black Books
    blackbooks.jpg
    Sitcom set in a small book shop run by Bernard Black [Dylan Moran], a smoking, drinking misanthropist, and well-meaning but spaced out Manny Bianco [Bill Bailey]. It's eccentric, surreal and very, very funny.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4wBLUBa8YI

Red Dwarf
    red-dwarf.jpg
    First part of the pilot
    Set on a mining ship sent three million years into deep space as a result of a radiation leak that wiped out almost everyone on board. The only survivor of the crew was David Lister [Chris Barrie], in suspended animation at the time of the leak as punishment for bringing a pregnant cat on board. The cat was sealed in the cargo hold, and over the years her descendants evolved into Felis Sapiens, who left in search of the Promised Land apart from one [Danny John-Jules]. Lister's bunk-mate, Arnold Rimmer [Chris Barrie], was brought back by the ship's computer [Norman Lovett] in an attempt to keep Lister from going insane with loneliness.

Over the eight series the show's premise expanded to include Kryten [Robert Llewellyn], a service droid, as part of the main crew, and a host of other antagonists such as Agonoids and genetically engineered life forms. I'm more of a fan of the earlier stuff, though, where it's all about how the characters deal with being three million years into Deep Space.

Porridge
    porridge_1_396x222.jpg
    Pilot snippet
    Starring Ronnie Barker as career criminal Norman Stanley Fletcher and Richard Beckinsale as first-time offender Lennie Godber, serving their time in Slade Prison. A true classic.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    durkinjdurkinj Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Being from Saskatchewan, I am obligated to mention http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner_Gas. On the plus side, it's damn funny. Probably more so if you're from a rural area.

durkinj on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rhesus +, you're a good dude.

Also, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace really needs a mention here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjmJWVc1RGY

All the episodes are up on Youtube and are easy to find.

Tav on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    durkinj wrote: »
    Being from Saskatchewan, I am obligated to mention http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner_Gas. On the plus side, it's damn funny. Probably more so if you're from a rural area.

Seconded on the series recommendation. And SK is a great place...to be from :D.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Stella was an amazing show and should have lasted longer.

Damn you Comedy Central.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Thick of It.

I haven't watched it yet but heard good things.

Watch it and then get back to me on whether it's worth watching or not.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stella was an amazing show and should have lasted longer.

Damn you Comedy Central.

On the plus side, at least they're giving the Michaels a new show, and they're the only ones anybody ever really cared about. I'm almost certain it won't be as good, and probably won't be as ridiculous as Stella was, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't crack me up.

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    hey, David Wain's the warden on Superjail. I care about him.

Okay yeah the michaels are better though

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That is very true.

I also liked Dog Bites Man and that was cancelled so fast.

All the while they kept renewing Mind of Mencia for another 20 seasons.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That is very true.

I also liked Dog Bites Man and that was cancelled so fast.

All the while they kept renewing Mind of Mencia for another 20 seasons.

*shudder*

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, uncalled for David Wain hating going on in here. Haven't you watched Wainy Days?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6HYbHYxUgM

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tiny and soft is what gets me going.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    brorsteinbrorstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "It's like I'm... humping a piece of gum."

Wain also directed Wet Hot American Summer and Role Models (which surprisingly had its moments).

brorstein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    brorstein wrote: »
    "It's like I'm... humping a piece of gum."

Wain also directed Wet Hot American Summer and Role Models (which surprisingly had its moments).

Those are two fantastic facts!

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stella is just genius. I'm holding out a lot of hope for the new show, but I don't know if they can make it work without David Wain.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Read a book! Specifically, "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. You will laugh yourself sick.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    2 pages in and no mention of Mitch Hedberg? What's wrong with you people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2491LucLa1g

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    2 pages in and no mention of Mitch Hedberg? What's wrong with you people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2491LucLa1g

Yeah. Unfortunately, he let the drugs get him.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Eddie Izzard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdmG-TRxzE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAOLOGGftTY&feature=related

Psych:

Its a light hearted mystery show but the greatness comes from the chemistry of the two main leads. It starts off a bit iffy, but quickly finds its legs.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    The funniest thing on radio is, of course, Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
    Here's the latest episode.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Psych:

Its a light hearted mystery show but the greatness comes from the chemistry of the two main leads. It starts off a bit iffy, but quickly finds its legs.
    Ovaltine Jenkins
    Shout+Thriller
    Ebony and Ivory

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks!

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets