As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sam Raimi to direct World of Warcraft movie

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Aw fuck yeah!
LOS ANGELES — Legendary Pictures, which joined Warner Brothers in backing “The Dark Knight” and “300,” took a big step toward assembling what may be its next blockbuster franchise: the company said on Tuesday that Sam Raimi had agreed to direct a movie based on the World of Warcraft online game and fantasy universe.

Mr. Raimi directed three films in Sony’s “Spider-Man” series and is expected to start shooting a fourth this fall, set for release in 2011. His signing with “World of Warcraft” makes that film one of the strongest bets on the Warner schedule as early as 2012.

Blizzard Entertainment, which introduced its first Warcraft game in 1994, began developing the current film version with Legendary three years ago. With more than 11 million monthly subscribers, the Warcraft series has been widely described as the most heavily played of the multiplayer online games, which pit players against one another via the Internet.

Warner, which is expected to be a co-financer of the “Warcraft” movie and to distribute it, has been hungry for new film series to augment a roster of high-budget fantasy and action franchises that include the Batman, Superman and Harry Potter films. The studio flirted with, then pulled back from, a “Justice League of America” project that would have put some of its DC Comics-based heroes, including Batman and Superman, in a single film.

And it had a misfire this year with “Watchmen,” an expensive picture based on a graphic novel, of which Legendary was co-financer. That film underperformed at the box office and was not seen as a good candidate for sequels because ardent fans were so insistent on fidelity to the complex, underlying story, about the decline of masked crime fighters.

It was not immediately clear when production might start on the “Warcraft” film, which would be delayed until Mr. Raimi finishes with “Spider-Man 4.” He last directed “Drag Me to Hell,” a supernatural horror picture that was not intended as a broad crowd pleaser and took in only about $42 million at the domestic box office when it was released by Universal Pictures in May.

Charles Roven, a producer of “The Dark Knight,” is among the producers of the “Warcraft” film, Legendary said.

Article is worth looking at just for the mugshot of "Lich King."

Now, I have never played The World of Warcraft that all you kids are talking about. Which makes someone like me the ideal candidate to think of a screenplay for this movie.

The plot should center around some nerd videogame playing loser in his parents' basement who magically gets sucked into the WORLD OF WARCRAFT. This plot device fell out of fashion after the 80's and I'm not sure why. The kid becomes a hero inside the fantasy world of the world of warcraft, defeats Lich King in a "raid," and saves a princess of some manner. Orcs can be voiced by jive-talking African Americans.

The movie would be somewhat similar to "Army of Darkness" in that it features a hero from our time and culture transported back into a medieval fantasy world of danger and mystery. Basically, if Sam Raimi just made this a flat-out sequel to "Army of Darkness," it could be the second best movie ever made, after "Army of Darkness."

Qingu on

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Somehow, I think it'll be nothing like the way you envision it.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is your enthusiasm for this supposed to be ironic?

Speaker on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Will they show Arthas for 5 minutes and kill him off too?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    Is your enthusiasm for this supposed to be ironic?
    ...I honestly don't know anymore.

Qingu on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He needs to bring in the guys from South Park as creative consultants.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This movie will only be good if the characters talk like WoW players and not like denizens of a pseudo-medieval fantasy land.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I wasn't even done thinking "maybe this could be a good venue for talented writers to bring their stories to life" before I inwardly chuckled, groaned, and snorted with derision.

Speaker on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

Link?

_J_ on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    I thought this was the movie equivalent of vaporware.

And by that, I mean I really hoped it was. Ugh.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Thank god, this means he won't have anything to do with the Spider-Man films anymore right?

Right?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was always confused as to whether this was supposed to be a "Warcraft" movie or a "World of Warcraft" movie. The two actually do have considerably varying connotations.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

Link?
    Sorry, is up.
    This movie will only be good if the characters talk like WoW players and not like denizens of a pseudo-medieval fantasy land.
    I think if the movie is as silly as Raimi's other work, either way or both could be kind of awesome.

Edit: I mean, you need at least one giant armored monster man rearing up and yelling "BRIIIING OUT THE WENCHES!" or something.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    I was always confused as to whether this was supposed to be a "Warcraft" movie or a "World of Warcraft" movie. The two actually do have considerably varying connotations.

One of the movies would be turn based?

_J_ on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

It also needs to deal with the futility of attempting to change the world of Warcraft

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lich king is a pin head.

Not formidable.

Speaker on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think if the movie is as silly as Raimi's other work, either way or both could be kind of awesome.

Edit: I mean, you need at least one giant armored monster man rearing up and yelling "BRIIIING OUT THE WENCHES!" or something.

I really think a movie where the characters talk frankly about grinding mobs is viable. The Order of the Stick is a great webcomic, and its entire premise is D&D characters who are aware of the rules.

Hachface on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thank god, this means he won't have anything to do with the Spider-Man films anymore right?

Right?

nope. Article I read said he is doing spidey 4 then this WoW movie.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It can only work if...

a) They get someone to rewrite the story so it both works as a movie and as something which has some relation to the game
    b) They have enough of a sense of fun that it still feels like the game, but enough seriousness that it's not just fart jokes and boobs.

Honestly, I don't think anyone will care enough and it will just be shovelled out. The best we can really hope for is something thats a vaguely fun action romp like transformers.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So this will just be an almagmation of other fantasy genre movies with World of Warcraft splashed in front of it? Or will they go true to the source and just blantantly put Lord of the Rings clips in the movie?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'll be honest, I don't really have high hopes.

I think it'd be awesome if the Blizzard CGI team did it, but I guess they're not really cut out for a full length movie.

End on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lich king is a pin head.

Not formidable.

I think he stole Sauron's clothes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Whoa whoa whoa let's back up a second here.
    “Watchmen” ... was not seen as a good candidate for sequels

They were expecting to be able to turn Watchmen into a franchise?

As for WoW, I mean I was aware that there was a story going on while playing it, but that was so abstracted to the gameplay that I just don't see what story there is to tell with it unless Raimi does the whole "sucked through space and time" thing with an actual player ... which come to think of it was the conceit behind Ultima.

I'm prepared to be embarrassed for all gamers everywhere.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

One of the movies would be turn based?

Warcraft was always an RTS. :P

But yeah, Warcraft wasn't about big glowy shoulders and shit, and actually has a pretty fun heap of plotline to adapt to film.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sam Raimi really is the only one who could possibly make this watchable.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Lich king is a pin head.

Not formidable.

And the fortress.

End on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    End wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I don't really have high hopes.

I think it'd be awesome if the Blizzard CGI team did it, but I guess they're not really cut out for a full length movie.

A 2 hour long WoW FMV would be the most incredible thing they could do.

Think FInal Fantasy: Spirits Within only without Ben Affleck and idiocy.

What they really need to do is just make it "Here is the Battle of Mount Hyjal: GO!"

that would be fantastic.

_J_ on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    See now the only thing I can think of that would make a good movie plot is the Onyxia questline. Heroes from both the Horde and the Alliance sniff out that the dragon's been messing with the heads of Stormwinds nobility and during their investigation they team up to defeat the broodmother in an epic battle. I envision an orc warrior, a human paladin, dwarf hunter, troll shaman and a gnome mage who acts as comic relief.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

I really think a movie where the characters talk frankly about grinding mobs is viable. The Order of the Stick is a great webcomic, and its entire premise is D&D characters who are aware of the rules.
    I mean ... I was being post-ironic in my OP but perhaps so post-ironic that I passed beyond some threshold where it becomes sincere.

I actually think it would be awesome if the movie is about some kid or kids who get sucked into the world of warcraft and tear around in armor and shit talking like nerds. And then interact with medieval fantasy tropes. But in a way that isn't conspicuously a retread of Army of Darkness' humor. (I was being earnest when I said Army of Darkness is the best movie ever, which is absolutely true.)

Qingu on
  • Options
    FerrousFerrous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Not really they both share the same universe, so it would really make no difference. Unless you are talking about time period in the universe, then it would make a difference. There is a ton of lore to work with, if they got some good writers or something I think it could be a good fantasy movie.

Ferrous on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    See now the only thing I can think of that would make a good movie plot is the Onyxia questline. Heroes from both the Horde and the Alliance sniff out that the dragon's been messing with the heads of Stormwinds nobility and during their investigation they team up to defeat the broodmother in an epic battle. I envision an orc warrior, a human paladin, dwarf hunter, troll shaman and a gnome mage who acts as comic relief.

That is one generic plot.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    But it works!

Edit: And its got Bolvar Fordragon, Bolvar is the fucking man!

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lich king is a pin head.

Not formidable.

And Vaders backstory.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    But it works!

It works in the same way that Dungeon and Dragons' plot worked.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    But it works!

I.. You... No, I refuse to compare the D&D movie with anything.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ferrous wrote: »
    Not really they both share the same universe, so it would really make no difference. Unless you are talking about time period in the universe, then it would make a difference. There is a ton of lore to work with, if they got some good writers or something I think it could be a good fantasy movie.
    This may be stepping on some toes, and I've never actually played the game, but...

Isn't the "lore" in WoW about as original as, you know, Eragon?

I did play the third game and I thought it was basically making fun of those tropes. Do people actually get into WoW shit in a non-ironic way?

Qingu on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Then he dies, but don't you see? He lives within us.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

From what I heard, they were covering pre-WoW post-Warcraft III events. Something to do with those intervening 4 years, from the alliance PoV.

The comic already covers Onyxia, and in my opinion not really all that well. Onyxia is mostly WoW material, so I'm not so sure, but Lady Prestor's (Onyxia's human form) meddling has huge consequences for humans lands, so I dunno.

End on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Who's going to play Leroy Jenkins?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    End wrote: »
    From what I heard, they were covering pre-WoW post-Warcraft III events. Something to do with those intervening 4 years, from the alliance PoV.

The comic already covers Onyxia, and in my opinion not really all that well. Onyxia is mostly WoW material, so I'm not so sure, but Lady Prestor's (Onyxia's human form) meddling has huge consequences for humans lands, so I dunno.
    Pretending Warcraft has anything resembling an original or coherent storyline at this point requires a pretty serious disconnect from reality.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    But it works!

I.. You... No, I refuse to compare the D&D movie with anything.

What about poop?

Can you compare it to poop? Not favorably, of course.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.