Options

Sam Raimi to direct World of Warcraft movie

• Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The pre-WC III stuff was never really fleshed out though, just a big war and stuff. I guess they could cover the opening of the dark portal, Medivh would make a decent character and it makes the orcs the big bad guys no questions asked. But that doesn't really allow for good storyline in my head, just "orcs are bad, here's a bunch of cool action scenes where we fight them!"

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Demiurge wrote: »
    But it works!

It works in the same way that Dungeon and Dragons' plot worked.

I was just thinking that.

Warcraft has a good story at its heart.

You could start with Thrall as an enslaved Orc, and continue on with the Warcraft 3 storyline.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Ferrous wrote: »
    Not really they both share the same universe, so it would really make no difference. Unless you are talking about time period in the universe, then it would make a difference. There is a ton of lore to work with, if they got some good writers or something I think it could be a good fantasy movie.
    This may be stepping on some toes, and I've never actually played the game, but...

Isn't the "lore" in WoW about as original as, you know, Eragon?

I did play the third game and I thought it was basically making fun of those tropes. Do people actually get into WoW shit in a non-ironic way?

The WoW "story" is about as original as someone who mixed up star wars and lotr. I'd figure the movie would be a more cleaned up version of the Dungeon Siege movie.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Raimi needs to get the hell back to working on Evil Dead.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    But it works!

I.. You... No, I refuse to compare the D&D movie with anything.

What about poop?

Can you compare it to poop? Not favorably, of course.

Even poop isn't 100 percent crap. It has some chunky nuts in it sometimes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    But it works!

You could start with Thrall as an enslaved Orc, and continue on with the Warcraft 3 storyline.

So Spartacus with a happy ending?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

Why? Is there something unresolved there you want closure on?

I loved Evil Dead, but come on... once you send the main character back to the Middle Ages with a shot gun and a chainsaw hand, aren't you pretty much done?
    But it works!

So Spartacus with a happy ending?

I'm Thrall...
    No, I'm Thrall!

Sure. Spartacus was good. I was thinking though, instead of ending it with Thrall being crucified (spoiler alert!) you could just have the Battle for Mount Hyjal, and then Thrall and Jania like, do it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I loved Evil Dead, but come on... once you send the main character back to the Middle Ages with a shot gun and a chainsaw hand, aren't you pretty much done?

Take off after the alternative ending.
    The theatrical release picks up after Ash has returned to the present, in which he stages one final confrontation with the "she-bitch" in the S-Mart Housewares Department. The alternative ending, which was favored by Raimi and Bruce Campbell, depicts Ash as he sits in his Oldsmobile, (the same 1973 Oldsmobile featured in many Sam Raimi films), in a cave, the entrance caved in by some of the black powder he made earlier. As he drinks the magic potion (given to him by a person that may or may not be Merlin - the king's name being "Arthur"), he is distracted by a falling rock and takes one drop too many. Ash sleeps well beyond his time, not aging but growing a very large beard, and shouts "I'VE SLEPT TOO LONG!" after awakening in a post-apocalyptic England.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I don't really have high hopes.

I think it'd be awesome if the Blizzard CGI team did it, but I guess they're not really cut out for a full length movie.

A 2 hour long WoW FMV would be the most incredible thing they could do.

Think FInal Fantasy: Spirits Within only without Ben Affleck and idiocy.

What they really need to do is just make it "Here is the Battle of Mount Hyjal: GO!"

that would be fantastic.

Tav on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The pre-WC III stuff was never really fleshed out though, just a big war and stuff.

I've heard that Warcraft was originally developed with the Warhammer universe in mind, but Games Workshop wasn't interested. A lot of the new material comes from things like Norse and Cthulhus Mythos.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ahhhh, Lich King. Lich King is such a bastard in the game, the way Lich King makes all those Death Knights and all that. I hear Lich King will be an awesome raid. Some lucky soul will get the Frostmourne.

Are titles really that hard to comprehend?

Brian888 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    This movie will only be good if the characters talk like WoW players and not like denizens of a pseudo-medieval fantasy land.
    this is brilliant

Elendil on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is the Lich King that blond white dude from the 3rd game that turns into an undead?

Qingu on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I worry for Blizzard.

I know they ventured into making WoW when everyone was like 'psha Blizzard youre ruining your reputation by going into this field; there's no room for a new MMORPG' and then they shattered everyone's preconceptions, but still. A movie? A video game movie?

They're going to need to pimp this movie out with credentials. Huge stars. Ridiculously amazing writers. Special effects that will... well... something impressive.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    I was always confused as to whether this was supposed to be a "Warcraft" movie or a "World of Warcraft" movie. The two actually do have considerably varying connotations.

Not really they both share the same universe, so it would really make no difference. Unless you are talking about time period in the universe, then it would make a difference. There is a ton of lore to work with, if they got some good writers or something I think it could be a good fantasy movie.

The tone and aesthetics of the universe are strikingly different, though. Watch this Warcraft cinematic, for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwIPo5x8B4s

Note what these two Orcs (who are supposed to be the two MOST POWERFUL orcs at the time) are wearing. Compare that to the typical gear now seen in WoW:

warlock_t4.jpg

Warcraft was definitely stylized (and as mentioned, derivative), but it had a lot more intriguing sincerity in its character design and art direction. WoW is a lot more superficial.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Is the Lich King that blond white dude from the 3rd game that turns into an undead?

Yes, basically.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Lich_King
    The Lich King was created by Kil'jaeden the Deceiver from the spirit of the orcish shaman Pointless Apostrophe. Initially trapped within the Frozen Throne, the Lich King eventually merged with the human Arthas Menethil becoming one being and the new Lich King. He is the creator of the Scourge and rules over it telepathically from his throne atop Icecrown Glacier in a way that is in no way reminiscent of any other copyrighted works. The Lich King is the main antagonist in the World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, this was announced years ago.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48296

Tav on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    b) They have enough of a sense of fun that it still feels like the game, but enough seriousness that it's not just fart jokes and boobs.
    Aaaaaand there go two of the three legs of the Raimi screenplay stool.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Who's going to play Leroy Jenkins?

Anthony Hopkins.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was always confused as to whether this was supposed to be a "Warcraft" movie or a "World of Warcraft" movie. The two actually do have considerably varying connotations.

The tone and aesthetics of the universe are strikingly different, though. Watch this Warcraft cinematic, for instance:

video

Note what these two Orcs (who are supposed to be the two MOST POWERFUL orcs at the time) are wearing. Compare that to the typical gear now seen in WoW:

Warcraft was definitely stylized (and as mentioned, derivative), but it had a lot more intriguing sincerity in its character design and art direction. WoW is a lot more superficial.

It looks fairly similar to me:
    208863-ss007_super.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

The theatrical release picks up after Ash has returned to the present, in which he stages one final confrontation with the "she-bitch" in the S-Mart Housewares Department. The alternative ending, which was favored by Raimi and Bruce Campbell, depicts Ash as he sits in his Oldsmobile, (the same 1973 Oldsmobile featured in many Sam Raimi films), in a cave, the entrance caved in by some of the black powder he made earlier. As he drinks the magic potion (given to him by a person that may or may not be Merlin - the king's name being "Arthur"), he is distracted by a falling rock and takes one drop too many. Ash sleeps well beyond his time, not aging but growing a very large beard, and shouts "I'VE SLEPT TOO LONG!" after awakening in a post-apocalyptic England.

There is nothing in that which does not scream AWESOME.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

There is nothing in that which does not scream AWESOME.

Yeah... I agree. I see the error of my ways now.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

video

It looks fairly similar to me:
    208863-ss007_super.jpg

Even in that shot, though, the elves (and their attire) look elivsh, the dwaves (and their attire) look dwavish, and the humans (and their attire) look human.

In WoW, every high level character looks like they belong on stage at a KISS concert. There's no discrepancy.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    The MMO nature of WoW really did nasty things to the story. They'd be best looking at the original RTS games for the plot inspiration.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would almost want to see a Warcraft 3 film with a plot based around the fall of Prince Athas and the rise of Thrall - classic reversal - the high fall and the low are raised high etc. In CGI though

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

El Jeffe needs to be a producer on this. He's not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Also, does this mean we'll see "World of Warcraft: The Movie: The Game: Based on the Game (That became a hit movie!)"

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009

El Jeffe needs to be a producer on this. He's not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Also, does this mean we'll see "World of Warcraft: The Movie: The Game: Based on the Game (That became a hit movie!)"
    The FMV sequel to the megaton MMORPG, coming this fall to Sega CD!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    But it works!

I.. You... No, I refuse to compare the D&D movie with anything.

what about the direct-to-SciFi-network D&D sequel?

Man that thing was a pile of shit. Speaking as someone who owns the first one on DVD for how hilariously bad it is.

Doc on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Even in that shot, though, the elves (and their attire) look elivsh, the dwaves (and their attire) look dwavish, and the humans (and their attire) look human.

In WoW, every high level character looks like they belong on stage at a KISS concert. There's no discrepancy.

You know...

ugh. Nevermind. Fine.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The MMO nature of WoW really did nasty things to the story. They'd be best looking at the original RTS games for the plot inspiration.

This is true, but even if it was based on the MMO, was somebody really talking about all the level 80s running around in the same armor as if that would make it into the movie?

Really?

Nocturne on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm assuming they will draw more on past Warcraft games than on WoW itself.

With a good screenwriter, this could definitely result in a good film.

Worst case, I'm hoping there is a ragged band of heroes kicking the shit out of a bunch of giant monsters. Because really, how could that be bad?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Honestly, I'd be ecstatic if they made a movie that was an addaptation of Lord of the clans.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I'm assuming they will draw more on past Warcraft games than on WoW itself.

With a good screenwriter, this could definitely result in a good film.

Worst case, I'm hoping there is a ragged band of heroes kicking the shit out of a bunch of giant monsters. Because really, how could that be bad?

Spoken like someone who's never seen the Dungeon Siege movie. Fantasy movies don't just end up shitty, they end up really shitty.

WoW's story is a joke and a rip off of better works, a good screen writer would have to redo the entire universe and at that point why even bother doing a WoW movie at all?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    WoW's story is a joke and a rip off of better works, a good screen writer would have to redo the entire universe and at that point why even bother doing a WoW movie at all?

Which are all ripoffs of Shakespeare anyway, so let's not make anything.

I'm not trying to say that Warcraft's story is epic, but this line of reasoning is so dumb.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Goddamn it, is it really so easy to make movies based on video games? Is it really?

Is it actually a requirement of the cinema industry in this country to produce a certain number of crappy films every year, with the number rising each year? Are we really that far behind on our quota? Or is there some rich person sitting in a yacht somewhere off the coast of California absolutely convinced that every popular video game is a potential goldmine?

The only people who benefit from this, I think, are those people who originally owned the rights to the material. Lucky them. Maybe this money can go to Warcraft IV (hey, I can dream).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They have mountain dew with wow on it, even a horrid commercial. A movie is a logical next step as the fan base will apparently buy anything associated with their product.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I think being hyper reactionary without so much as a vague notion of the script, cast, or anything is really the only way to go here.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Isn't this one of the signs that Armageddon is approaching?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Isn't this one of the signs that Armageddon is approaching?

The fact that I swapped the "r" and "n" in your name might be.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I think being hyper reactionary without so much as a vague notion of the script, cast, or anything is really the only way to go here.

Works for the thread on the new star wars mmo.

I'm just saying looking at the source material here its like getting excited that Peter Jackson is directing the next Twilight movie.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net