Options

Sam Raimi to direct World of Warcraft movie

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Well, I think being hyper reactionary without so much as a vague notion of the script, cast, or anything is really the only way to go here.

Works for the thread on the new star wars mmo.

I'm just saying looking at the source material here its like getting excited that Peter Jackson is directing the next Twilight movie.

It could be good, actually. I'll acknowledge that. Truth be told, I don't even want a good WoW movie because, frankly, I don't think everything of any value intellectually automatically has to be made into a movie. Yes, some things are fine even if they aren't full-length movies.

And on the other hand, it could also be very, very bad. And that would just the original material.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    See, the difference between warcraft and World of Warcraft is that the story in warcraft actually progressed. One of the prime tenants of an MMO is that the world can never change, or else players might miss an opportunity!.

Okay yeah they've gotten better about this, but still. WoW took an enormous dump on top of what could be considered the series' story. My guess is that blizzard is going to want to tie the movie in with the game as a publicity stunt, which means they'll try and incorporate the movie into the lore. Or the movie will be the definition of generic.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Or the movie will be the definition of generic.

This is going to happen no matter what. Warcraft is fantasy pastiche.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    taurens aren't very generic :O

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

High fantasy is fantasy pastiche.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like a lot of that crap (Warcraft included), but the stuff is generic if anything.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, I think being hyper reactionary without so much as a vague notion of the script, cast, or anything is really the only way to go here.

I'm just saying looking at the source material here its like getting excited that Peter Jackson is directing the next Twilight movie.

There's enough good material there to make a good movie. Whether or not that gets made is a completely different question.

But I think it's unseemly for everyone to act like it's automatically going to suck. They have stuff to work with that's good.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2009

There's enough good material there to make a good movie. Whether or not that gets made is a completely different question.

But I think it's unseemly for everyone to act like it's automatically going to suck. They have stuff to work with that's good.

They do. At least, I think they do. I've consistently enjoyed the stories for the first three games, and I think the expansions are good examples of how to make....good...expansions.

But, through no fault of the original material, these things tend to suck. But I also say this as someone who hated the Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat and other films. The only logically reason as to why I watched them is because I hate myself, though not sufficiently to watch that The Rise of Chun-Li film.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »

High fantasy is fantasy pastiche.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like a lot of that crap (Warcraft included), but the stuff is generic if anything.

There is a reason 9/10 of all fantasy is awful, awful, simply terrible.

Hachface on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I'm assuming they will draw more on past Warcraft games than on WoW itself.

With a good screenwriter, this could definitely result in a good film.

Worst case, I'm hoping there is a ragged band of heroes kicking the shit out of a bunch of giant monsters. Because really, how could that be bad?

Spoken like someone who's never seen the Dungeon Siege movie. Fantasy movies don't just end up shitty, they end up really shitty.

WoW's story is a joke and a rip off of better works, a good screen writer would have to redo the entire universe and at that point why even bother doing a WoW movie at all?

Warcraft stuff is fairly derivative, yes, but it's also very vague. There's a lot of room to be creative within the rough outlines that make up its lore, and yes, I think you could write a good story based upon them. Especially considering the fact that Warcraft hardly addresses characterization at all.

And Hachface, 9/10 of all fiction is awful and terrible. Fantasy's percentage of awfulness is about the same as any other genre's.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm assuming they will draw more on past Warcraft games than on WoW itself.

With a good screenwriter, this could definitely result in a good film.

Worst case, I'm hoping there is a ragged band of heroes kicking the shit out of a bunch of giant monsters. Because really, how could that be bad?

Spoken like someone who's never seen the Dungeon Siege movie. Fantasy movies don't just end up shitty, they end up really shitty.

WoW's story is a joke and a rip off of better works, a good screen writer would have to redo the entire universe and at that point why even bother doing a WoW movie at all?

Warcraft stuff is fairly derivative, yes, but it's also very vague. There's a lot of room to be creative within the rough outlines that make up its lore, and yes, I think you could write a good story based upon them. Especially considering the fact that Warcraft hardly addresses characterization at all.

And Hachface, 9/10 of all fiction is awful and terrible. Fantasy's percentage of awfulness is about the same as any other genre's.

I would make the case that it's higher. Frankly, I'm amazed I like Warcraft as much as I do.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If this movie is some kind of labor of love for Sam Raimi and those who write it then it will be successful.

If this movie is studio driven and Sam Raimi was just another director they lured with a paycheck and there are 9 writers involved none of whom have played WOW then it will be a disaster.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the movie would be better if the writers didn't play WoW. I mean story is not the central concept in the MMO.

How you do a movie about grouping up with people you don't like to get loot for days on end is beyond me though.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    space demons who fly around in giant crystals aren't generic

outland as a setting isn't too generic

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My vote for Vanndar Stormpike:
    jack-black.jpg

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It was only a matter of time before Jack Black appeared.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Who's going to play Leroy Jenkins?

Bruce Campbell, duh.

I really think a lot of you all are being increadibly harsh on the story. While it hasn't been handled exceedingly well in WoW (Wrath is better, but it still needs work), Warcraft III had quite an engaging plot. Sure, a lot of Warcraft is derivative, but what fantasy world isn't these days?

There's plenty to work with. I think it'd be better if the Warcraft movie didn't take place in the same universe as the games, though. If you set it anywhere besides a retelling of Warcraft I, it's going to be confusing as hell. And if you set it during Warcraft I, it's going to be generic. Let them take the characters and setting, and come up with something completely different.

As for the writer, Metzen's writing the first draft, I believe. You know, the creator of the entire setting.

Lynx on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Who's going to play Leroy Jenkins?
    It's the role Bruce Campbell was born to play.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    George Fisher needs a cameo in here. He's already in the game ffs.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I thought bruce was playing hogger

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man if this movie is as good as Drag Me To Hell, it will be awesome.

Considering that most video games movies have AWFUL directors attached to them, just have someone decent at the helm makes me happy.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Don't be too optimistic. If we are lucky it will be watchable at least.

Zealot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpindizzySpindizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Though I have doubts about this there is the glimmering hope that Blizzard being the sort of people who will delay a game until it is 'perfect' (in their words not mine) might mean the film might maintain some integrity.

One thing that you guys might have overlooked is that although the story of wow as an mmo hasn't really progressed drastically they are soon to be running out of villains, especially ones that were in WCIII. A clever ploy might be to actually extend the story further, new characters, bad guys etc so they can think about doing a WC4 or even a WoW2. But that would be the probably riskier option when they could just milk thrall like a dairy cow.

P.s Whover wrote the original article is a Douche, drag me to hell got great reviews and in the UK at least was a box office success, to say 'gwafle, it only grossed 42million' kinda misses the point of a cheap horror movie and the success it did receive was way greater than I imagine any other 'horror' film of 2009 will make.

Spindizzy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There's a billion villains left to deal with

Sargeras, The Lich King, Azshara, whatever's corrupting the emerald dream....

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the movie would be better if the writers didn't play WoW. I mean story is not the central concept in the MMO.

How you do a movie about grouping up with people you don't like to get loot for days on end is beyond me though.

Point taken. I'm just saying that the people creating the movie need to give a fuck about the franchise and not just be doing it for a buck. Peter Jackson and company set out to make the LOTR the best epic ever. Will Raimi and team give a WOW movie the same kind of TLC or will they be just trying to shove a picture out the door to meet a deadline and make some money?

Note I'm aware that LOTR is a critically acclaimed novel and WOW is a video game but I think the WOW fanbase deserves a well done movie.

At least we know Uwe Boll is not directing. That gives this picture a chance.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I dunno having played the reskinapalooza that was Wrath, I'd figure this movie has at best a 50% chance of being anything but a cash grab.

Hopefully it'll go the way of that Peter Jackson Halo movie.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They could make it focus on a ragtag crew of goblin pirates, sailing around and blowing shit up mixed with flying around on zeppelins and blowing shit up.

Savant on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Savant wrote: »
    They could make it focus on a ragtag crew of goblin pirates, sailing around and blowing shit up mixed with flying around on zeppelins and blowing shit up.

Pirates of the Caribbean meets goblin engineering?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Big MutantBig Mutant Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think it'll be a horrible mistake if they re-create anything that's been done in-game.

Because it's already been done, for one.

Also, because it's already been done.

The only way it would work for me is if they try and innovate a bit. It won't feel like a warmed up version of the MMO, and might be able to stand on its own. Bring in a new race, or radically change the story by doing the unexpected. The Lich King realises he's been bad for too long, and goes on a quest to reform himself, I don't know, whatever. I don't play the game, and I don't really follow the canon, but I'm a sucker for well-made fantasy movies, so I can only hope.

Anyway, can it be worse than Superman 3?

Big Mutant on
  • Options
    KingLampshadeKingLampshade regular
    edited July 2009
    I have the bad feeling this is going to suck. They are going to put in nameless characters nobody cares about rather than important people and Warcraft doesn't seem to lend itself even slightly to a live action film. If there has to be a Warcraft movie, just rehash WC3. Or better yet give me a CGI Starcraft movie.

KingLampshade on
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."
    British publisher and writer Ernest Benn [1875-1954]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Or better yet give me a CGI Starcraft movie.

Done by whoever did Roughnecks: Starship Troopers.

Yes

Nocturne on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Big Mutant wrote: »
    I think it'll be a horrible mistake if they re-create anything that's been done in-game.

Because it's already been done, for one.

Also, because it's already been done.

The only way it would work for me is if they try and innovate a bit. It won't feel like a warmed up version of the MMO, and might be able to stand on its own. Bring in a new race, or radically change the story by doing the unexpected. The Lich King realises he's been bad for too long, and goes on a quest to reform himself, I don't know, whatever. I don't play the game, and I don't really follow the canon, but I'm a sucker for well-made fantasy movies, so I can only hope.

Anyway, can it be worse than Superman 3?

I assume you mean Spider-Man 3. And I'd wait for 4 to assess just how bad it can get.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2009
    Its opening night screening will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, of this I am sure.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    But what if opening night is also a raid night? Those epicz won't farm themselves!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Its opening night screening will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, of this I am sure.

You've obviously not heard of the midnight releases for WoW expansion packs, sir.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lynx wrote: »
    I really think a lot of you all are being increadibly harsh on the story. While it hasn't been handled exceedingly well in WoW (Wrath is better, but it still needs work), Warcraft III had quite an engaging plot.
    Okay.

So I didn't actually finish the game, but I could basically figure out what happens, as evidenced by my assumption that the white dude becomes the Lich King.

If you think the cut scenes in that game constitute an "engaging plot," I submit to you that you are allowing your love of the medium to cloud your taste.

This reminds me of people idealizing the plot of The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. That game is the greatest game that I have ever played and probably ever will play. A strong argument can be made that it is humanity's crowning achievement as a species. But when people claim that the setting is "dark, adult fantasy" and pine for a movie that preserves the awesome plot, I want to kick them in the fucking vagina. It's a game about a kid dressed like Peter Pan who runs around with fairies and is tricked by a Dark Lord to get three things that end the world. It's a stupid fucking plot, it's not a fucking "dark adult fantasy" in any sense of any of those words except maybe the last one, and if you stripped the gameplay and pacing of that game into a cinematic experience nobody would pay money to see it and people who did see it would probably commit suicide.

World of Warcraft is the same way except it looks even more fucking cliched than Zelda. The upside is that, from what I've played, the games actually realize they're a joke.
    Sure, a lot of Warcraft is derivative, but what fantasy world isn't these days?
    His Dark Materials, the Bartimaeus trilogy, shit even Harry Potter is not "derivative" in that its magic system and metaphysics are extremely modern. I mean, I understand that there are bookshelves worth of books that basically take Lord of the Rings world and put it to Star Wars' plot, and maybe change the word "Orc" to "Urkel" (which, notably, WoW doesn't even bother to fucking do), but there's no excuse to do this unless you are actively making fun of the derivitiveness of the genre.

Qingu on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »

You've obviously not heard of the midnight releases for WoW expansion packs, sir.

My favorite anecodte about those is my roommate (star of our university's basketball team) getting back from a midnight run to the grocery store, which is right next to Gamestop, and telling me "man, there was a line of all these weird fat people all over the place by Gamestop. It was huge. Do you know what's going on?" and kept talking about how weird they all looked, and after I checked game release dates on my laptop I laughed my ass off when I saw the newest WoW expansion on the list. Then I had to explain to him WoW and midnight releases.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Big MutantBig Mutant Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I assume you mean Spider-Man 3. And I'd wait for 4 to assess just how bad it can get.

You're absolutely correct in assuming that, of course. :)

Big Mutant on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »

My favorite anecodte about those is my roommate (star of our university's basketball team) getting back from a midnight run to the grocery store, which is right next to Gamestop, and telling me "man, there was a line of all these weird fat people all over the place by Gamestop. It was huge. Do you know what's going on?" and kept talking about how weird they all looked, and after I checked game release dates on my laptop I laughed my ass off when I saw the newest WoW expansion on the list. Then I had to explain to him WoW and midnight releases.
    As a weird fat person, even I'm put off by the people I saw at the last expansion release.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think that if the movie is faithful to the franchise it could be really good. Larger than life heroes fighting overly-dark villains in a superficially serious fantasy setting, but play the whole thing as parody. That almost sounds like it could be an okay action romp/satire.

It probably won't be though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Exactly. If it has any hope of being good, the movie needs to take itself as seriously as the franchise does.

Which is to say not at all.

Nocturne on