Options

Sam Raimi to direct World of Warcraft movie

124678

Posts

  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alternatively, they could just make the movie about the first warcraft game, when it really wasn't anything more than medival humans fighting an invading horde of burly green skinned guys. That formula seems to be tried and true.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Exactly. If it has any hope of being good, the movie needs to take itself as seriously as the franchise does.

    Which is to say not at all.

    Well Sam Raimi is pretty good at making movies that don't take itself seriously

    Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Exactly. If it has any hope of being good, the movie needs to take itself as seriously as the franchise does.

    Which is to say not at all.

    Well Sam Raimi is pretty good at making movies that don't take itself seriously

    And this is why I am holding out a little hope. He is probably the best choice possible.

    Nocturne on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Exactly. If it has any hope of being good, the movie needs to take itself as seriously as the franchise does.

    Which is to say not at all.

    Well Sam Raimi is pretty good at making movies that don't take itself seriously

    And this is why I am holding out a little hope. He is probably the best choice possible.

    If this movie doesn't have at least one comment by a female character to her male equivalent along the lines of..

    "Hey, why if we're wearing the same armor am I effectively wearing a Bikini and I can't even see your nose?"

    then it is taking itself too seriously

    tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Exactly. If it has any hope of being good, the movie needs to take itself as seriously as the franchise does.

    Which is to say not at all.

    Well Sam Raimi is pretty good at making movies that don't take itself seriously

    And this is why I am holding out a little hope. He is probably the best choice possible.

    If this movie doesn't have at least one comment by a female character to her male equivalent along the lines of..

    "Hey, why if we're wearing the same armor am I effectively wearing a Bikini and I can't even see your nose?"

    then it is taking itself too seriously
    Maybe a female character could literally be wearing a stripper outfit?

    Couscous on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Exactly. If it has any hope of being good, the movie needs to take itself as seriously as the franchise does.

    Which is to say not at all.

    Well Sam Raimi is pretty good at making movies that don't take itself seriously

    And this is why I am holding out a little hope. He is probably the best choice possible.

    If this movie doesn't have at least one comment by a female character to her male equivalent along the lines of..

    "Hey, why if we're wearing the same armor am I effectively wearing a Bikini and I can't even see your nose?"

    then it is taking itself too seriously
    Maybe a female character could literally be wearing a stripper outfit?

    Well, clearly if this is Warcraft then they will be, but if they don't comment on how this is a bit absurd then it's being too serious :)

    tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If the movie is serious it basically has to be a subplot involved in the plaguelands/ pre-frozen throne human campaign. It's rehashed but at least it's a decent plotline and the shock value of the culling of stratholme and the story quests in the Plaguelands from vanilla WOW will carry it pretty far. Something like Resident Evil in a fantasy setting, basically, except with even more undead betrayals.

    Pel on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Lynx wrote: »
    I really think a lot of you all are being increadibly harsh on the story. While it hasn't been handled exceedingly well in WoW (Wrath is better, but it still needs work), Warcraft III had quite an engaging plot.
    Okay.

    So I didn't actually finish the game, but I could basically figure out what happens, as evidenced by my assumption that the white dude becomes the Lich King.

    If you think the cut scenes in that game constitute an "engaging plot," I submit to you that you are allowing your love of the medium to cloud your taste.

    This reminds me of people idealizing the plot of The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. That game is the greatest game that I have ever played and probably ever will play. A strong argument can be made that it is humanity's crowning achievement as a species. But when people claim that the setting is "dark, adult fantasy" and pine for a movie that preserves the awesome plot, I want to kick them in the fucking vagina. It's a game about a kid dressed like Peter Pan who runs around with fairies and is tricked by a Dark Lord to get three things that end the world. It's a stupid fucking plot, it's not a fucking "dark adult fantasy" in any sense of any of those words except maybe the last one, and if you stripped the gameplay and pacing of that game into a cinematic experience nobody would pay money to see it and people who did see it would probably commit suicide.

    World of Warcraft is the same way except it looks even more fucking cliched than Zelda. The upside is that, from what I've played, the games actually realize they're a joke.

    His Dark Materials, the Bartimaeus trilogy, shit even Harry Potter is not "derivative" in that its magic system and metaphysics are extremely modern. I mean, I understand that there are bookshelves worth of books that basically take Lord of the Rings world and put it to Star Wars' plot, and maybe change the word "Orc" to "Urkel" (which, notably, WoW doesn't even bother to fucking do), but there's no excuse to do this unless you are actively making fun of the derivitiveness of the genre.

    His Dark Materials is just the Chronicles of Narnia if Aslan was the bad guy. And Harry Potter isn't derivitive? Seriously? The whole series is a bildungsroman with magic to distinguish it. Hell, Roald Dahl did it first with Matilda. Just because something is derivative doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.

    Other than Arthas following the same path as Darth Vader, the rest of the plot isn't like Star Wars at all. The Night Elves, the Orcs, and the Burning Legion are all well removed from anything. I'm not saying they're stellar pieces of work, but they have an engaging enough story that kept me playing. I'd also put forth that the Warcraft series has a far richer story than the Ocarina of Time (Or any of the Zelda games) and could make an entertaining movie.

    If you haven't even finished the goddamn game, and just guessed that it ends with Arthas becoming the Lich King (Which isn't even the climax of the original game), you have no right to complain about it.

    If you're expecting every fantasy movie, game and book to be like Lord of the goddamn Rings, though, you're never going to be satisfied.

    Lynx on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lynx wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »
    Lynx wrote: »
    I really think a lot of you all are being increadibly harsh on the story. While it hasn't been handled exceedingly well in WoW (Wrath is better, but it still needs work), Warcraft III had quite an engaging plot.
    Okay.

    So I didn't actually finish the game, but I could basically figure out what happens, as evidenced by my assumption that the white dude becomes the Lich King.

    If you think the cut scenes in that game constitute an "engaging plot," I submit to you that you are allowing your love of the medium to cloud your taste.

    This reminds me of people idealizing the plot of The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. That game is the greatest game that I have ever played and probably ever will play. A strong argument can be made that it is humanity's crowning achievement as a species. But when people claim that the setting is "dark, adult fantasy" and pine for a movie that preserves the awesome plot, I want to kick them in the fucking vagina. It's a game about a kid dressed like Peter Pan who runs around with fairies and is tricked by a Dark Lord to get three things that end the world. It's a stupid fucking plot, it's not a fucking "dark adult fantasy" in any sense of any of those words except maybe the last one, and if you stripped the gameplay and pacing of that game into a cinematic experience nobody would pay money to see it and people who did see it would probably commit suicide.

    World of Warcraft is the same way except it looks even more fucking cliched than Zelda. The upside is that, from what I've played, the games actually realize they're a joke.

    His Dark Materials, the Bartimaeus trilogy, shit even Harry Potter is not "derivative" in that its magic system and metaphysics are extremely modern. I mean, I understand that there are bookshelves worth of books that basically take Lord of the Rings world and put it to Star Wars' plot, and maybe change the word "Orc" to "Urkel" (which, notably, WoW doesn't even bother to fucking do), but there's no excuse to do this unless you are actively making fun of the derivitiveness of the genre.

    His Dark Materials is just the Chronicles of Narnia if Aslan was the bad guy. And Harry Potter isn't derivitive? Seriously? The whole series is a bildungsroman with magic to distinguish it. Hell, Roald Dahl did it first with Matilda. Just because something is derivative doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.

    Other than Arthas following the same path as Darth Vader, the rest of the plot isn't like Star Wars at all. The Night Elves, the Orcs, and the Burning Legion are all well removed from anything. I'm not saying they're stellar pieces of work, but they have an engaging enough story that kept me playing. I'd also put forth that the Warcraft series has a far richer story than the Ocarina of Time (Or any of the Zelda games) and could make an entertaining movie.

    If you haven't even finished the goddamn game, and just guessed that it ends with Arthas becoming the Lich King (Which isn't even the climax of the original game), you have no right to complain about it.

    If you're expecting every fantasy movie, game and book to be like Lord of the goddamn Rings, though, you're never going to be satisfied.

    ^ This.

    Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Lynx wrote: »
    I really think a lot of you all are being increadibly harsh on the story. While it hasn't been handled exceedingly well in WoW (Wrath is better, but it still needs work), Warcraft III had quite an engaging plot.
    Okay.

    So I didn't actually finish the game, but I could basically figure out what happens, as evidenced by my assumption that the white dude becomes the Lich King.

    If you think the cut scenes in that game constitute an "engaging plot," I submit to you that you are allowing your love of the medium to cloud your taste.

    This reminds me of people idealizing the plot of The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. That game is the greatest game that I have ever played and probably ever will play. A strong argument can be made that it is humanity's crowning achievement as a species. But when people claim that the setting is "dark, adult fantasy" and pine for a movie that preserves the awesome plot, I want to kick them in the fucking vagina. It's a game about a kid dressed like Peter Pan who runs around with fairies and is tricked by a Dark Lord to get three things that end the world. It's a stupid fucking plot, it's not a fucking "dark adult fantasy" in any sense of any of those words except maybe the last one, and if you stripped the gameplay and pacing of that game into a cinematic experience nobody would pay money to see it and people who did see it would probably commit suicide.

    World of Warcraft is the same way except it looks even more fucking cliched than Zelda. The upside is that, from what I've played, the games actually realize they're a joke.
    Sure, a lot of Warcraft is derivative, but what fantasy world isn't these days?
    His Dark Materials, the Bartimaeus trilogy, shit even Harry Potter is not "derivative" in that its magic system and metaphysics are extremely modern. I mean, I understand that there are bookshelves worth of books that basically take Lord of the Rings world and put it to Star Wars' plot, and maybe change the word "Orc" to "Urkel" (which, notably, WoW doesn't even bother to fucking do), but there's no excuse to do this unless you are actively making fun of the derivitiveness of the genre.

    While I agree that pretty much all game stories are fairly bad, your being overly harsh on Warcraft. It started out as a virtual Warhammer rip-off, but has since cut out it's own niche.

    It's more steampunk then traditional high fantasy, does a few interesting twists, and knows when to take a good laugh at it's own expense. It's not high art, but by video game standards, it's pretty good.

    WoW itself actually has alot of interesting stories in it. It's just most of them (especially in the non-expansion game) don't shove themselves in your face.

    However, to get back on topic, I have little faith in their ability to make a good movie out of the setting. It's really not the kind of setting that works well for movie-type stories.

    shryke on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I do think this would be especially fun (and timely) if Raimi played up the tongue-in-cheek elements of Warcraft and basically played it as a parody of fantasy.

    OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    WoW itself actually has alot of interesting stories in it. It's just most of them (especially in the non-expansion game) don't shove themselves in your face.

    However, to get back on topic, I have little faith in their ability to make a good movie out of the setting. It's really not the kind of setting that works well for movie-type stories.

    The first paragraph is so true. If you actually take time to read quests, there are a lot of interesting things going on. Anyone can summarize the main stuff in a "Lich King = Sauron LOL!" manner, but there is some nice writing and unpredictable turns every now and again, like you said it just doesn't always jump out at you.

    Unfortunately, the second paragraph is mostly true. Like I said earlier, I think Raimi might be able to pull off a good take on it, if anyone is able to.

    Nocturne on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I do think this would be especially fun (and timely) if Raimi played up the tongue-in-cheek elements of Warcraft and basically played it as a parody of fantasy.

    This would be the best way to do it. And he is able. Here's hoping.

    Like I said, Warcraft doesn't even take itself too seriously, and often makes fun of itself. Raimi has proven that he can do the same.

    Nocturne on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    I do think this would be especially fun (and timely) if Raimi played up the tongue-in-cheek elements of Warcraft and basically played it as a parody of fantasy.

    This would be the best way to do it. And he is able. Here's hoping.

    Like I said, Warcraft doesn't even take itself too seriously, and often makes fun of itself. Raimi has proven that he can do the same.

    I agree. I'm not expecting something on the level of LotR. Or even Star Wars. I'm expecting a decent fantasy war movie with humans and orcs beating the crap out of each other. With a good dose of humor to go with the epic battles. If it accomplishes that, I'll be happy.

    Lynx on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm very VERY curious to see how Raimi works his '73 Oldsmobile into the movie.

    Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm very VERY curious to see how Raimi works his '73 Oldsmobile into the movie.

    Gnomish Engineering.

    Cervetus on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Okay.

    So I didn't actually finish the game, but I could basically figure out what happens, as evidenced by my assumption that the white dude becomes the Lich King.

    If you think the cut scenes in that game constitute an "engaging plot," I submit to you that you are allowing your love of the medium to cloud your taste.

    This reminds me of people idealizing the plot of The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. That game is the greatest game that I have ever played and probably ever will play. A strong argument can be made that it is humanity's crowning achievement as a species. But when people claim that the setting is "dark, adult fantasy" and pine for a movie that preserves the awesome plot, I want to kick them in the fucking vagina. It's a game about a kid dressed like Peter Pan who runs around with fairies and is tricked by a Dark Lord to get three things that end the world. It's a stupid fucking plot, it's not a fucking "dark adult fantasy" in any sense of any of those words except maybe the last one, and if you stripped the gameplay and pacing of that game into a cinematic experience nobody would pay money to see it and people who did see it would probably commit suicide.
    You're a dumbass.

    Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm very VERY curious to see how Raimi works his '73 Oldsmobile into the movie.

    It's Warcraft. There's dimensional portals all over the place.

    King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah. Could be good. Would be better if the CGI team did it. But Warcraft has a fairly decent plot. Demon betrayals, Arthas turning, Illidan's whole story. Could be good. Now, if it's something new and plot progressing, then we have an issue.

    SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm very VERY curious to see how Raimi works his '73 Oldsmobile into the movie.

    It's Warcraft. There's dimensional portals all over the place.

    It's under a wrap of some sort in The Quick and The Dead. You'll probably see it as a non obvious detail in some large impressive... thing. Kind of like how Spielberg did it in raiders, close encounters etc with the starwars stuff.

    Or maybe it'll be a new character played by Ted Raimi, voiced by Bruce Campbell, full of wisecracks, but also teaches the main characters a few lessons about love and friendship.

    Cue buckets of tears when "Oldsy" has to sacrifice himself to save the heroes. They'll say "No Oldsy! There has to be another way", and Oldsy will say "It's ok, I finally learned the meaning of friendship" before leaning backwards into a fall into the chasm of Huge Evil Chasm with a smile in his face.

    Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

    I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Warcraft has fucking motorcycles now. I don't think an oldsmobile is that far off. They can just paint it with the blood of dwarves.

    Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wonder what the chances are of the Horde not being painted as generic badguys because test audiences are inherently comfortable with fantasy racism.

    Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I wonder what the chances are of the Horde not being painted as generic badguys because test audiences are inherently comfortable with fantasy racism.

    D:

    Arch on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I wonder what the chances are of the Horde not being painted as generic badguys because test audiences are inherently comfortable with fantasy racism.

    D:

    Don't forget the homophobia. Horde does have the blood elves.

    tallgeeze on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I wonder what the chances are of the Horde not being painted as generic badguys because test audiences are inherently comfortable with fantasy racism.

    D:

    Don't forget the homophobia. Horde does have the blood elves.

    SHUT UP

    edit: Oh god I hope there isn't any more up-playing the Blood elves' feminine qualities or that will just fuel the "OMG BLOOD EVLES ARE TEAH GAYZZZ"

    I am not worried about a blood elf mage (not a female) popping up and going "Heyyyyyy girls! How are you today? OH! And just look at those NAILS!"

    And then being a major character that we have to suffer through for the entire movie

    Arch on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Or the movie will be the definition of generic.

    This is going to happen no matter what. Warcraft is fantasy pastiche.

    How are you comparing a video game to a nut?

    urahonky on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lynx wrote: »
    His Dark Materials is just the Chronicles of Narnia if Aslan was the bad guy.
    Um. I actually wrote my thesis about these two series. (Very practical, I know.) And while there are some interesting similarities, the worlds, magic systems, worldviews, and characters are completely different.
    And Harry Potter isn't derivitive? Seriously? The whole series is a bildungsroman with magic to distinguish it.
    Bildungsroman is more of a genre, not a specific plot device or template. I think HP is derivative in certain ways, but my point was that its magic system is actually fairly inventive and modern, in a way that most fantasy is not. Scooby-Doo shit aside, by the end of the series I was impressed at how much the conflicts in HP resembled something from a Martin Scorsese movie.
    Just because something is derivative doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.
    I guess I'm pickier about originality than you. I mean, if you write a fantasy story with forest-dwelling elves and tribal warrior orcs in it (or even a fantasy story with "fae" and "uruks" or whatever the fuck) who are functionally identical to the creatures in Tolkien's universe, unless you are doing very interesting things with these concepts or else ironically commenting on the genre or something (which Warcraft 3 sort of did, to be fair), that's just being lazy. I fucking hated Eragon for this reason, and I think Christopher Paolini ought to be dragged out and hung.
    If you haven't even finished the goddamn game, and just guessed that it ends with Arthas becoming the Lich King (Which isn't even the climax of the original game), you have no right to complain about it.
    This is fair as far as the plot goes. I guess I should limit my complaints to WoW's cliched fantasy world. As I said, from my time with the game I always thought the draw of this world is that the game was really poking fun at its absurdity, not taking it seriously as a setting.
    If you're expecting every fantasy movie, game and book to be like Lord of the goddamn Rings, though, you're never going to be satisfied.
    I have no idea how you got this from my post. Unless you mean that I want every fantasy work to be as original as LoTR was when it first came out. And that would be awfully nice.

    Qingu on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My interest in this movie just skyrocketed

    Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Lynx wrote: »
    His Dark Materials is just the Chronicles of Narnia if Aslan was the bad guy.
    Um. I actually wrote my thesis about these two series. (Very practical, I know.) And while there are some interesting similarities, the worlds, magic systems, worldviews, and characters are completely different.
    And Harry Potter isn't derivitive? Seriously? The whole series is a bildungsroman with magic to distinguish it.
    Bildungsroman is more of a genre, not a specific plot device or template. I think HP is derivative in certain ways, but my point was that its magic system is actually fairly inventive and modern, in a way that most fantasy is not. Scooby-Doo shit aside, by the end of the series I was impressed at how much the conflicts in HP resembled something from a Martin Scorsese movie.
    Just because something is derivative doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.
    I guess I'm pickier about originality than you. I mean, if you write a fantasy story with forest-dwelling elves and tribal warrior orcs in it (or even a fantasy story with "fae" and "uruks" or whatever the fuck) who are functionally identical to the creatures in Tolkien's universe, unless you are doing very interesting things with these concepts or else ironically commenting on the genre or something (which Warcraft 3 sort of did, to be fair), that's just being lazy. I fucking hated Eragon for this reason, and I think Christopher Paolini ought to be dragged out and hung.
    If you haven't even finished the goddamn game, and just guessed that it ends with Arthas becoming the Lich King (Which isn't even the climax of the original game), you have no right to complain about it.
    This is fair as far as the plot goes. I guess I should limit my complaints to WoW's cliched fantasy world. As I said, from my time with the game I always thought the draw of this world is that the game was really poking fun at its absurdity, not taking it seriously as a setting.
    If you're expecting every fantasy movie, game and book to be like Lord of the goddamn Rings, though, you're never going to be satisfied.
    I have no idea how you got this from my post. Unless you mean that I want every fantasy work to be as original as LoTR was when it first came out. And that would be awfully nice.

    I still feel that you are being rather unfair to this genre. Yes, Tolkien expounded on and changed many things forever about how we view certain "races" (Elves, dwarves, and Orcs, not to mention inventing Hobbits aka Halflings in modern fantasy)

    Look at it this way- Narnia is not looked at as being "taken" from something else, because the myths it used to fuel its world are Older than Dirt. Talking animals, witches, and magical fairy lands have been in the collective human fantasy bank for hundreds of years.

    Compare to the fantasy genre invented by Tolkien which has been around barely a half-century.

    Since there are still people who remember when it was invented by Tolkien anything that takes or borrows anything (ESPECIALLY the "races" he defined) is seen as "derivitaive" and ripping it off (or some other digression).

    The "myths" that make up this world of are very very young, and they will all resemble each other just like every myth and story ever does.

    That is not to say you shouldn't look for some originality, but you seem like you disregard out of hand anything that resembles this mythos. Going to re-quote you
    if you write a fantasy story with forest-dwelling elves and tribal warrior orcs in it (or even a fantasy story with "fae" and "uruks" or whatever the fuck) who are functionally identical to the creatures in Tolkien's universe, unless you are doing very interesting things with these concepts or else ironically commenting on the genre or something (which Warcraft 3 sort of did, to be fair), that's just being lazy.

    Some of this is frankly, unfair for the reasons I stated above. If I write a story about a gumshoe detective that is functionally very similar to Sherlock Holmes' style of problem-solving, is that being lazy? You may come to that conclusion, but I feel it will be less of a knee-jerk reaction than how you respond to something with Orcs, Elves, and Dwarves in it.

    The functional character races that Tolkien penned have become the staples of stories today, much like the gumshoe detective, Rebel Cop, and the hundreds of other easily definable characters have become. Yes, if the stories are terrible, they are terrible. I am not arguing that WoW or Eragon is an amazing work of literature and complex story, but just because some people take a few elements, swirl them around, and then spit out some story doesn't mean that you can discount an entire genre of work (High Fantasy) based on the classifier that it has Orcs, Elves, and other shit in it.

    Arch on
  • Options
    FreakinchairFreakinchair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It would be amazing if this movie took place after the events of WoW - have like a 20 minute montage of CG/Real actors killing each main boss of each raid with epic music playing. Then goes on for the movie and the after events of WoW - A NEW EVIL ARISES RAWR and bam WoW 2 coming out in 2012 at the end of the movie.

    Freakinchair on
    I'd construct a situation such that everyone died at the exact same moment so that we could attack whatever afterlife there happens to be en masse and so take it over and create a perfect unending afterlife existence. Also, everyone who wanted one would have an afterlife pony.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So you want a 2 hour advertisement for a video game? :)

    urahonky on
  • Options
    FreakinchairFreakinchair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    So you want a 2 hour advertisement for a video game? :)

    yes

    Freakinchair on
    I'd construct a situation such that everyone died at the exact same moment so that we could attack whatever afterlife there happens to be en masse and so take it over and create a perfect unending afterlife existence. Also, everyone who wanted one would have an afterlife pony.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Qingu wrote:
    I guess I'm pickier about originality than you. I mean, if you write a fantasy story with forest-dwelling elves and tribal warrior orcs in it (or even a fantasy story with "fae" and "uruks" or whatever the fuck) who are functionally identical to the creatures in Tolkien's universe, unless you are doing very interesting things with these concepts or else ironically commenting on the genre or something (which Warcraft 3 sort of did, to be fair), that's just being lazy. I fucking hated Eragon for this reason, and I think Christopher Paolini ought to be dragged out and hung.

    I find if funny that the cultural differences between some of the races between Warcraft and LotR (especially the Orcs) is of no merit to you for originality. Yet Harry Potter waving his wand and saying words in pseudo-latin compared to Gandalf using his staff and old elvish words to conjure spheres of light is great literary originality on behalf or Rowlings.

    I also find it funny that they think "Lich King" is a name rather than a title.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I find if funny that the cultural differences between some of the races between Warcraft and LotR (especially the Orcs) is of merit to you for originality. Yet Harry Potter waving his wand and saying words in pseudo-latin compared to Gandalf using his staff and old elvish words to conjure spheres of light is great literary originality.

    Orcs as proud warrior race guys is just transferring one stereotype onto another and isn't very interesting either.

    Now Orcs as basically violent soccer hooligans...

    Couscous on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    If I write a story about a gumshoe detective that is functionally very similar to Sherlock Holmes' style of problem-solving, is that being lazy?

    Yes.

    Edit: Qingu, your comments about HP's magic system being original are... curious. HP didn't really have much of a system as far as I can tell. What saves HP is its characterization.

    Hachface on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I find if funny that the cultural differences between some of the races between Warcraft and LotR (especially the Orcs) is of no merit to you for originality.
    Well, any orc culture is better than what they had in LoTR. I mean, shit.
    Yet Harry Potter waving his wand and saying words in pseudo-latin compared to Gandalf using his staff and old elvish words to conjure spheres of light is great literary originality on behalf or Rowlings.
    No. The superficial aspects of HP magic is unoriginal trope-recycling. I was referring to the way it was used in-world and the way the world itself is built up around it.
    I also find it funny that they think "Lich King" is a name rather than a title.
    Uh, I was making fun of the NYT caption, dude.

    Qingu on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I think warhammer would make a better movie, IMHO. But that's not really important here...

    As for the "bitching" about the "plot" of Warcraft, or the style. Some things: First, ready the damn books that came with warcraft, warcraft 2, warcraft 3 (and the expansion packs). The books are actually packed with plot and story that helps define the games. Also keep in mind that the cartoonish look of all those games also has a lot to do with graphical limitations at the time. WC3 was bashed senseless when it came out for high system specs, and it hasn't aged well. The CGI vids show where they were really going with all this.

    Basing your perception of the warcraft universe, off the interactions in WOW (which is controlled by fairly retarded idiot cos-play gamers and is full of idiocy), instead of the written books and actual plot from the RTS games, is a recipe for frustration.

    psychotix on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes because novelizations of video game franchises are always rip-roaring literary successes.

    Hachface on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Yes because novelizations of video game franchises are always rip-roaring literary successes.

    I meant the written background in the instruction booklets. Take WC3. The instruction booklet had a lot of background detailing what was going on and why. It dropped several major characters and actually explained things. The plot of the game, while no fantasy novel or epic movie, was good enough to move the game along so it wasn't just "load map kill, load map kill, load map kill".

    It's not grade A stuff, but it's good enough.

    If you haven't actually played through or read it, and then base your opinions about Warcraft off the black-hole of lunacy and human waste that is WOW, you're not really seeing what the Warcraft universe actually is.

    psychotix on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Yes because novelizations of video game franchises are always rip-roaring literary successes.

    They certainly do a better job than WoW. Richard Knaak knows how to write a fun, engaging novel.

    BTW, if you're expecting anything other than "good comic book-ish movie" in terms of "literary value" then I don't really know what to say. This movie is likely going to be entertainment oriented with a few hints of characterization and perhaps a dash of thematic sincerity. It's not fucking Dostoevsky.

    Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
Sign In or Register to comment.