As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Google Wave] OPEN TO ALL: invites no longer necessary!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    kragerbazu wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Google Wave

wasn't it supposed to be some massive textual revolution

I guess it's just another case of Google trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist

so much inefficiency going on over there.

The thing is that it needs to be integrated into email.

until it is it will be too unweildly to use by itself.

I mean it's neat to organise shit.

But you are limited to people who only use wave.

Blake T on
  • Options
    kragerbazukragerbazu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    some things are more important

than money

kragerbazu on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    for everything else

there is credit

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    for everything else

there is mastercard

Such an obvious reference, come on.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Blaket wrote: »

I guess it's just another case of Google trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist

I would be careful who you phrase that, Wave does need a notification system. But we do not need yet another form of Buzz.

I'm going to log into my Wave account and see how Wave runs in IE9 preview 2.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

than money
    I have no idea where you're going with this. Are you still trying to manoeuvre towards a point, or are you just picking out words and constructing bits of sentences around them now?

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cyvros wrote: »

than money
    I have no idea where you're going with this. Are you still trying to manoeuvre towards a point, or are you just picking out words and constructing bits of sentences around them now?

He's trying to work his way up to the claim that when you are working for a small company on an awesome project you like, and that company gets bought by a bigger company, your fantastic project automatically becomes a soul-crushingly evil nightmare and that it is therefore morally wrong for Google to hire people to do stuff.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would sell out in a heartbeat if Google wanted to buy something I made. I've got no entrepreneurial inclination and would be happy to retire before 50.

MKR on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »

than money

He's trying to work his way up to the claim that when you are working for a small company on an awesome project you like, and that company gets bought by a bigger company, your fantastic project automatically becomes a soul-crushingly evil nightmare and that it is therefore morally wrong for Google to hire people to do stuff.
    I see.

Kragerbazu, how big is the company you work for? If its employees number over a hundred, you might want to consider whether your position is morally tenable.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would be careful who you phrase that, Wave does need a notification system. But we do not need yet another form of Buzz.

There is a notifier thing for Wave. I have it for Chrome, not sure if its available for other browsers.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Personally, (I think I mentioned this awhile ago in this thread) I'd like to see a modified version used for forums.

This I can see happening. The real Wave is the protocol, and that will be open when it's finalized. The stuff Google has is just their user interface for the protocol.
    That's what pisses me off about Google, when they can't do something they just buy someone off and force them to do it for them

Hey, it worked for Microsoft for 30 years.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Personally, (I think I mentioned this awhile ago in this thread) I'd like to see a modified version used for forums.

This I can see happening. The real Wave is the protocol, and that will be open when it's finalized. The stuff Google has is just their user interface for the protocol.
    That's what pisses me off about Google, when they can't do something they just buy someone off and force them to do it for them

And in Microsoft's case, they were overcompetitive pricks from day one. That was Bill Gates' thing.

Google has been pretty nice from the start, and save for a few mis-steps, seems to have good intentions.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »

There is a notifier thing for Wave. I have it for Chrome, not sure if its available for other browsers.

I have not seen one for IE or Opera. But then again I couldn't use Chrome framework without IE crashing.

Also for me Wave did not work in IE9 preview 2. I think Wave didn't know how to identify it.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »

And in Microsoft's case, they were overcompetitive pricks from day one. That was Bill Gates' thing.

Google has been pretty nice from the start, and save for a few mis-steps, seems to have good intentions.

Google most certainly do not have good intentions. They spy on everything we do in order to mine data on us. In addition to that they mess up other companies' business models trying to give services away for free. The latest is what they're trying to do to the GPS market. To add insult a lot of Google's software isn't even as good as the competition.

I'm going to stop here. Sorry but myself and other's I've worked on sites with have been screwed over by Google adsense. On top of that their intentional data-mining is beyond questionable yet people like you seem to give them a free pass on this.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Google most certainly do not have good intentions. They spy on everything we do in order to mine data on us. In addition to that they mess up other companies' business models trying to give services away for free. The latest is what they're trying to do to the GPS market. To add insult a lot of Google's software isn't even as good as the competition.

I'm going to stop here. Sorry but myself and other's I've worked on sites with have been screwed over by Google adsense. On top of that their intentional data-mining is beyond questionable yet people like you seem to give them a free pass on this.

:?

You're extrapolating quite a bit from what I said.

The adsense BS is one of the mis-steps I was referring to in that very important modifier I carefully placed in my sentence.

MKR on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure I should care that they are screwing up someones corporate business model if it means I get a similar or even superior product for free.

If I did care I would play them a dirge with the world's tiniest violin.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And if you're worried about data mining, you should stop using the internet and pay for everything with cash.

MKR on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, hope you don't have a Facebook account.

Or a scanner card for your local grocery.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In addition to that they mess up other companies' business models trying to give services away for free. The latest is what they're trying to do to the GPS market. To add insult a lot of Google's software isn't even as good as the competition.

If the free product is sufficiently inferior, people will pay for the superior product. That's sort of how the real world works.

exis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    exis wrote: »
    In addition to that they mess up other companies' business models trying to give services away for free. The latest is what they're trying to do to the GPS market. To add insult a lot of Google's software isn't even as good as the competition.

If the free product is sufficiently inferior, people will pay for the superior product. That's sort of how the real world works.

Google maps is infinitely better than the maps on my GPS, but the GPS will navigate in the car without me having to drop $600 on a smartphone and $25/month on a data plan. GPS still has value for me. :D

And it's not like the GMaps service on phones is free. Google starts charging over a certain usage, and any phone carrier will zoom right by that.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lifehacker are live-waving GoogleIO here.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    THIS JUST IN:
    Wave is now open to all; no invites needed. Just go to http://wave.google.com and sign up!

Full details at google wave blog here.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    VP8 got cracked wide open.

http://www.webmproject.org/

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    VP8 got cracked wide open.

http://www.webmproject.org/
    Also, Adobe is incorporating full HTML5 support into Dreamweaver and adding webm to Flash.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    WOOP! Lars Rasmussen (father of gWave IYDK) onstage now at GoogleIO

Wave now part of Google Apps!

Data-only API now available; stand-alone clients imminent!

In-browser editor goes OSS!

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, is it time to get excited again (and then be crushed with disappointment again?)

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I can't wait for open-source clients, wohoo.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    uean wrote: »
    So, is it time to get excited again (and then be crushed with disappointment again?)
    Welp, Novell seems to think it will fly...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

An on button would be nice then!

But I mean why would I go to wave and "wave" them when I can go to my already open email and send them an email.

Sending them an email takes less time and in the days of push notification is just as fast.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    An on button would be nice then!

But I mean why would I go to wave and "wave" them when I can go to my already open email and send them an email.

Sending them an email takes less time and in the days of push notification is just as fast.
    Wait, how does sending someone an e-mail take less time? With wave, as soon as you hit done it's in their inbox. Unless you've been disconnected somehow, but the same thing happens with e-mail. E-mail on the other hand has to go into your "outbox" then wait until the client finishes processing the send request etc.

Or take it from the other side; why would you even bother e-mailing someone when you could just IM them? Much faster and you're likely to get an instant response.

Or have you forgotten that your e-mail client takes time to start up from cold too?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, the Chrome Web Store looks massively impressive. The Sports Illustrated App looks phenomenal, and Lego Star Wars looked like it could lead to some awesome things. Imagine Diablo Clones that don't have shitty controls! Woo!

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Man, the Chrome Web Store looks massively impressive. The Sports Illustrated App looks phenomenal, and Lego Star Wars looked like it could lead to some awesome things. Imagine Diablo Clones that don't have shitty controls! Woo!

The Web Store is only half the picture. The other half is Native Client. Was that in the same video? I forget. Anyway, it's open source, it'll be built into Chrome, and it'll let you write programs in C++ and run them sandboxed through the browser. On any operating system. Like what Java was supposed to be, but actually viable for gaming.

The Unity team collaborated with Google, and the Lego Star Wars demo was running on it. They've already got internal versions of Unity that output Native Client binaries.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The main question is: is it cross-platform?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yes?
    It's supposed to be part of a full HTML 5 implementation IIRC.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    As long as my MacBook holds out long enough, I really think my next laptop will be one of the upcoming Chrome OS ones. I messed around dual-booting it on my mac and even in it's pre-alpha state I can see it'll totally cover my needs.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    As long as my MacBook holds out long enough, I really think my next laptop will be one of the upcoming Chrome OS ones. I messed around dual-booting it on my mac and even in it's pre-alpha state I can see it'll totally cover my needs.

Doesn't Chrome OS only support Web Apps and not allow anything to be installed in the OS?

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Doesn't Chrome OS only support Web Apps and not allow anything to be installed in the OS?

Yes. However, there are some really sweet webapps out there, and Chrome OS is going to support Native Client. Also, a semi-HTML5 feature it will support is cached versions of websites with a database backend. Gmail, Google Docs, etc offline, basically. Kinda like Google Gears.

Frem on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Forgive me for misunderstanding...but will that transform your laptop into a brick of plastic when there's not a internet connection? And also, I dunno if i like Google holding all my data and documents :)

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No. Webapps using the latest and greatest in internets can magically run when there is no wifi.

As for the privacy thing, yeah, that's kinda a problem. I'm hoping more service providers start taking Diasporia's lead and store more things encrypted.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Really, I have no reason to be afraid of Google holding my info, largely because I don't have anything all that interesting, and second, because I haven't had a reason to think they'll do anything with it anyway.

InkSplat on