As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Google Wave] OPEN TO ALL: invites no longer necessary!

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can guarantee at least two invites to PA people if I get in.

lemmeinlemmeinlemmeinlemmein

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think everybody is now on the 1st and I've still yet to find anything concrete regarding the invites having been sent.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    All I'm seeing is spam on twitter =/

Vladimer on
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    twephanie RT @larsras: 11pm in Sydney + done with #googlewave invitations for the day. More tomorrow if servers still alive...

:-(

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    twephanie RT @larsras: 11pm in Sydney + done with #googlewave invitations for the day. More tomorrow if servers still alive...

:-(
    And yet still no goddamn reports of anybody having received one.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    if you search #googlewave on twitter there are all kinds of people claiming "have 1000 google wave invites, just follow me and retweet this to get one!"

which means two things:

1) nobody actually has any
    2) twitter is a clusterfuck right now.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay, I've now heard of one person having been sent an invite. Not sure I can get one from him though.

Edit: He claims to have invited me. So we'll see.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Okay, I've now heard of one person having been sent an invite. Not sure I can get one from him though.

Edit: He claims to have invited me. So we'll see.

Here's hoping that 2nd party invitees get extra invites so we can take a single PA invite and grow it around to all of us :0)

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well it's not popped up yet but I'll keep you informed.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm assuming we'll have one crazy clusterfuck Penny Arcade Wave?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's more likely that each forum will have several waves.

MKR on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think I signed up for the beta a long time ago, but I signed up again to be sure. Put my name on the list.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    I think I signed up for the beta a long time ago, but I signed up again to be sure. Put my name on the list.

Pfft, I signed up with four different email accounts. :P Nothing yet. Also, I guess you need to be careful what you click on if you search for invites.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MKR wrote: »

It's more likely that each forum will have several waves.

I keep reading this as waves of subscription. It's rather entertaining.

Linden on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well more waves are then hopefully coming out in the next 6 hours then.

Blake T on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know a single person who's received an invite, which is weird because I work at a tech support call center...

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, with a bit of luck. Waves of waves... hmm.

Linden on
  • Options
    nhrnnhrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I manage to get an invite, I'll only be keeping two for my friends (the only two who have heard of it and that's only because I told them) so I can give away the lion's share of mine. ALSO wave will make it possible to continue a D&D campaign my group has had to put on hold because people have spread around the country.

nhrn on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm thinking that none of us are going to be getting any invites this time around, oh shucks.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I don't know a single person who's received an invite, which is weird because I work at a tech support call center...

Yeah it's very odd how limited it seems to be... I haven't even heard of somebody who got one. You'd think 800k invites would make an impact in the techy communities we probably all frequent.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »

Yeah it's very odd how limited it seems to be... I haven't even heard of somebody who got one. You'd think 800k invites would make an impact in the techy communities we probably all frequent.

I read it was only 100k.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

I read it was only 100k.

everyone who gets one can invite 8 people.

so, actually 900k

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, I got an invite!
    To Google Voice. Still, pretty cool.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have Google Wave, but I don't know how to see if I have any invites to give out. Does anyone know?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nibble wrote: »
    I have Google Wave, but I don't know how to see if I have any invites to give out. Does anyone know?
    I guess there should be a little panel somewhere that says how many invites you have? Like Gmail maybe?
    Or it could be in the preferences etc.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Also I read that if you weren't invited by google (if you're a 2nd-party invite) then you don't get any invites, so you may not have any if you got invited by a friend. But if you do, man I hope I'm high enough up on the list ;-P

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Also I read that if you weren't invited by google (if you're a 2nd-party invite) then you don't get any invites, so you may not have any if you got invited by a friend. But if you do, man I hope I'm high enough up on the list ;-P

The inherent problem with that is that if you get no invites then you can't use the program as you'd have nobody to talk to.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The inherent problem with that is that if you get no invites then you can't use the program as you'd have nobody to talk to.

Well you have whoever invited you, and apparently they've created a robot you can talk to in case you have no friends ;-P

midgetspy on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Well you have whoever invited you, and apparently they've created a robot you can talk to in case you have no friends ;-P
    Eliza wrote:
    Oh, i have whoever invited i and apparently theyve created a robot i can talk to in case i have no friends.
    :P

(There are public waves people can talk on, apparently, though they're understandably rather busy and therefore hard to follow.)

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    More from Twitter:
    We will send out more than 100K. Some days lots of invites will go, some days none. We are working hard to scale and keep stable and fast.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    More from Twitter:
    We will send out more than 100K. Some days lots of invites will go, some days none. We are working hard to scale and keep stable and fast.

Just to make things easier for the Twitterers among you: You're looking for Steph Hannon.

Linden on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wave.google.com isn't loading, and all Google services are slow for me. Anyone else seeing this?

MKR on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's working for me....

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's working for me....

Yeah, it came back. I posted that hours ago. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Forgive my ignorance, but I'm one of those people who fail to really see the appeal of Google Wave. It seems interesting, but also seems to be extremely "Busy" as an interface. I could be misreading it, but it seems like ADD made into a program. I'd like to use it for games, I saw the Risk plugin and was very excited, a D&D plugin is going to be there soon I'd imagine.

I'll also admit I'm a bit distrusting of Google. Too much personal information held by one company.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I'll also admit I'm a bit distrusting of Google. Too much personal information held by one company.
    This is a complaint I will never understand. Why, beyond raw paranoia, is it bad for people to know things about you?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I can see TWB really getting some use out of Wave. We're at our craziest during the rare IRC session, and this takes all the barriers away.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    This is a complaint I will never understand. Why, beyond raw paranoia, is it bad for people to know things about you?

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Forgive my ignorance, but I'm one of those people who fail to really see the appeal of Google Wave. It seems interesting, but also seems to be extremely "Busy" as an interface. I could be misreading it, but it seems like ADD made into a program. I'd like to use it for games, I saw the Risk plugin and was very excited, a D&D plugin is going to be there soon I'd imagine.

I'd say that the largest immediately apparent use is for work collaboration. I'm designing a piece of software right now for a class as part of a group project. We have a google group for uploading common docs and for e-mail communication (complete with the occasional reply/reply-all snafu), a wiki for throwing up general information, and a set of google docs for when we're working on proposals, etc to turn in as a group. Wave can (theoretically) do all of those things better than each individual tool in one unified interface.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Forgive my ignorance, but I'm one of those people who fail to really see the appeal of Google Wave. It seems interesting, but also seems to be extremely "Busy" as an interface. I could be misreading it, but it seems like ADD made into a program.
    On the topic of that last sentence, could you tell me what you mean by "busy" please?
    The default layout is the same three panes I use every day at work in Outlook; contacts/folders on the left, Inbox in the middle and message preview on the right. Absolutely nothing looks out of place to me.

Mr_Rose on