As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Google Wave] OPEN TO ALL: invites no longer necessary!

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    I'm getting all these random requests for invites by PM when I explicitly said TWB regulars would get priority.

:(

I'm sure they figured it current hurt.

I mean, I'd have done it myself, but I'm too lazy.

Maybe we should have a wall of shame, and remove attempted line-jumpers from the list, so that those of us who are following the rules get rewarded sooner.

Honestly, I don't mind waiting to use the service, I just want to get my username ASAP. I still hate the fact that i couldn't have Evander for gmail.

Evander on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you already have a google account, it tacks that name on to the google wave address when you make the wave account.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If you already have a google account, it tacks that name on to the google wave address when you make the wave account.

So if you have a Gmail adress, that name is reserved for you?

good to know

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dragging/dropping pictures is pretty slick. It was a bit surreal to watch people typing in real time but then I remembered my old days on ICQ where I'm pretty sure that was a thing that would happen.

I see a lot of potential for a lot of confusion in this because people don't seem to be hitting reply to some things. They just start a new, unrelated blip that can get pushed out of position by actual replies.

I also learned that hitting ctrl+enter submits the blip and then brings up a box where you can reply to what you just submitted, which is weird.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    still nothing from google

i figured if my involvement beta testing the online glossary for the human genome project was worth something anywhere, it would be here

I just want to wave, is that so wrong?

They figure it's best to keep you out of Google Wave for as long as possible. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I suspect they aren't going to get a lot of feedback on how people actually use it until there are a tonne more people who know each other on it. I have about 6 people on my contacts list (all PA people) but only a couple of them have actually contributed anything that I know of.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blake T on
  • Options
    CKyleCKyle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

That's for Google Voice, not Google Wave.

CKyle on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Still no wave invite though some people who have posted requests have come after me. :(

C'est la vie.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Still no wave invite though some people who have posted requests have come after me. :(

C'est la vie.

I'm number 2 on the list, and I haven't received anything.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

C'est la vie.

Actually, it's been sent. It just takes a while for you to get it ;)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Xaviar wrote: »

C'est la vie.

Actually, it's been sent. It just takes a while for you to get it ;)

So much love right now. <3

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GENTLEMANS.

I got my invite from Google.

1) Please remove me from the list waiting for an invite.
    2) I will now contact the op to hook people up with invites. Bless your hearts!

Divebommah on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I totally want this Wave thing.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If people who have Wave addresses want them posted in the OP, please PM me; then we can get waving to each other, rather than just playing around with an empty inbox.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have wave!

When I can work out if I hasve any invites and how to send them I'll let the OP know.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    So, after having looked at some public waves with plenty of content, I have concluded that this feels a bit like threaded discussions in Fidonet.

Except that in Fidonet you could actually follow subthreads easily, not to mention quoting what you reply to so it makes more sense.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Have you tried using playback to follow a thread?
    Also, if you want to "quote" someone, you should be able to edit their blip and insert your comment directly under the bit you want to talk about.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I have wave!

When I can work out if I hasve any invites and how to send them I'll let the OP know.

Invites are in the form of an invite wave in your inbox.

MKR on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And as for the gentleman who wanted to run a d&d game over wave.. I totally think you could pretty easily. There's a dice-roller bot.. You type xdx (3d4) and it'll roll and add '(result)' behind your thing. so I type "attack roll: 2d8" and it's reaplace with "attack roll: 2d8 (7)"
    Also there are private replies that other people can't hear, for gm/dm-to-player convos.

I think it could work out well.

[edit]
    I would love to see someone make a map/battle/gird gadget thing too. I imagine it wouldn't even be too hard for someone who is into that.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    So, after having looked at some public waves with plenty of content, I have concluded that this feels a bit like threaded discussions in Fidonet.

Except that in Fidonet you could actually follow subthreads easily, not to mention quoting what you reply to so it makes more sense.

If people actually reply properly (by clicking the bar beneath the blip to which they're replying) it's not too bad to follow the first couple of replies and sub-replies but it gets difficult after you have more than about two replies, I agree.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

If people actually reply properly (by clicking the bar beneath the blip to which they're replying) it's not too bad to follow the first couple of replies and sub-replies but it gets difficult after you have more than about two replies, I agree.

On many occasions doing this doesn't work right. It still ends up directly under rather than under and to the right. Sometimes it works, but not consistently.

MKR on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God I want to try this. Seems like an awesome program.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    On many occasions doing this doesn't work right. It still ends up directly under rather than under and to the right. Sometimes it works, but not consistently.

It's way too easy to click somewhere and randomly add a new empty reply - and then this gets saved to the wave instantly and you have to delete it and then 50% of the playback consists of added/deleted empty replies.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So tell the dev. team they need to set up an option where you can purge an empty reply from the logs instead of simply deleting it and adding another transaction. Is there not a developer suggestions wave somewhere?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So tell the dev. team they need to set up an option where you can purge an empty reply from the logs instead of simply deleting it and adding another transaction. Is there not a developer suggestions wave somewhere?

Better yet, don't save replies until there's actually something in them.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Better yet, don't save replies until there's actually something in them.

But that nerfs the whole dynamic update thinger. Tough there isn't really anything to update until you actually press a key, I suppose.
    What about a dealy where if you delete a post that has no data it auto-purges silently, instead of another button?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    God I want to try this. Seems like an awesome program.

It is really cool in theory. In practice, I've got three waves with next to no content and very little action. I am looking forward to it being more widely available because then it'll be something beyond a nifty tech demo.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

C'est la vie.

FYI you're not on the list in the OP, you're under "waiting for email addresses from"... which may be why you haven't gotten an invite yet?

midgetspy on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    eagerly awaiting my invite~

Vladimer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »

C'est la vie.

FYI you're not on the list in the OP, you're under "waiting for email addresses from"... which may be why you haven't gotten an invite yet?

I find it amusing that in a thread about an emerging communications technology that you mainly use to read communications that people still seem to be struggling with the concept of reading the OP.

Maybe those people on the first couple of pages talking about how complicated Email is were actually on to something.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If you have wave, search for

with:public "pa forum wave"

there you can inform others of your waveness.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesome, CKyle and I just had a live conversation on le Wave de GOOG. I know that's not exactly cutting edge but it is pretty neat doing it in this context.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I did my 6 nominations based on the e-mails Mr Rose gave me.

Hopefully they won't take too long to come through.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You rock, Mr. BobCesca.

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I did my 6 nominations based on the e-mails Mr Rose gave me.

Hopefully they won't take too long to come through.

I think they just save them up and do them in big batches, cause I've yet to receive mine.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'M IN, BITCHES!

Take me off the request list, and once I figure out invites, I'll toss some this way.

Now, what am I supposed to be adding or subtracting in order to wave at fine PA folks?

edit: I'm a little annoyed to discover that my little brother was already on here and never told me. I'd remove him from my contact list, but then I'd have no one to talk to.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    I'M IN, BITCHES!

Take me off the request list, and once I figure out invites, I'll toss some this way.

Now, what am I supposed to be adding or subtracting in order to wave at fine PA folks?

edit: I'm a little annoyed to discover that my little brother was already on here and never told me. I'd remove him from my contact list, but then I'd have no one to talk to.

Put this in the search box: with:public penny arcade

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    cool, I found that.

my google wave name is TheEvander@googlewave.com, if anyone wants to wave at me.

Evander on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yay, I got an invite, I signed up for this a few months back. I'm going to see if I can make some cool apps/bots. Boo at not having nickname support in google accounts BTW. The PA wave is getting cozy.

peterdevore on