As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Diego Comic-Con '09 News Thread

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
San Diego Comic-Con 2009 starts Thursday, July 23.

splash_ccilogo.gif

This is where everything regarding news, exclusives, preview art, etc. will be posted for all publishers.

Tweets regarding new info are also welcome.

We should also keep a tally on which creators get into fights this year, which ones get swine flu, or those who just make a fool out of themselves.

Official Website

Exhibitor List

TexiKen on

• Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Already made a thread about this in H/A, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask here.

Okay, so I have three days bought and paid for. Only problem is, I have no working printer, neither of my parents have functional computers attached to their printers, and my only option for printing my passes right now seems like Kinko's, though I'd prefer not to dip into my spending money to do so.

My question is thus: do you absolutely HAVE to have your registration information/bar codes printed up for them to scan at Comic-Con, or can they look up your information in their database or something?

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mondo Marvel Panel News

DC Superman Panel

Apparently the Thanagarians show up as New Krypton starts to expand their reach, and the Thanagarians were a conquered planet under Kryptonian rule in the past it seems.

And Superboy Prime shows up in Adventure Comics #4-5.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Mondo Marvel Panel News

DC Superman Panel

Apparently the Thanagarians show up as New Krypton starts to expand their reach, and the Thanagarians were a conquered planet under Kryptonian rule in the past it seems.

And Superboy Prime shows up in Adventure Comics #4-5.

You left out the best part where the Kryptonians steal a moon from Jupiter for their planet.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    JSA Panel

A new ongoing JSA book, JSA All Stars, written by Sturges and drawn by Freddie Williams (awesome).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Urghhh

I wanted to jump onto the new JSA run, but I can literally only afford one book. Plus, the thing I liked most about it was the younger heroes interacting with the older heroes.

I'm kind of pissed now.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Awesome news: "Captain America/Black Panther," a 4-issue mini by Reggie Hudlin and Denys Cowan, T'Challa's father T'Chaka will feature.
    BLAPCAP001_Cov_colDW-100.jpg

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And the first "break the internet in half" rumblings emerge.....

Marvel to Publish "Something"

Some say it's Miracleman with Moore scripts but different art, others say Ditko, anything short of Marvel buying Superman from the Siegel family (whatever the verdict was on that) isn't going to live up to the hype.

Details to be released at Quesada's panel tomorrow 2:00 pm PST

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If Marvel somehow gets Superman (which I don't even think is possible until 2012), I will quit reading comics from the big two entirely.

But, yeah, I can't think of any comic news at all, any possible permutation of creators and properties that could create enough uproar to live up to that kind of hype.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think Steve Ditko coming back to Marvel would be some heavy shit, not on par with Superman of course but it would be great to see some Ditko Spider-man stuff again.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Some say it's Miracleman with Moore scripts but different art, others say Ditko, anything short of Marvel buying Superman from the Siegel family (whatever the verdict was on that) isn't going to live up to the hype.

This is probably the answer to the "How do you create the future" ad in some recent comics.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

This is probably the answer to the "How do you create the future" ad in some recent comics.

Pretty sure those "How do you create the future" ads are for the Brubaker/Epting Marvels Project 8 issue mini coming out next month.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Touche.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I just laugh whenever I see that title. Marvel, being a publisher, is obviously goign to publish "something". It pretty much makes him right regardless of whatever Marvel announces, too.

KVW on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All I have to say is that the guy that wrote that blog entry is a giant dick. If you aren't allowed to say something on a topic, keep your damn mouth shut. Don't jump around like an 8 year old kid saying "I know a secret! I know a secret."

And I'm sorry, but nothing in the comics industry, nothing at all, would be powerful enough to "break the internet." Unless Marvel is bringing Michael Jackson back from the dead, turning him black again, and releasing a Thriller quality video, most of the world won't even notice.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    All I have to say is that the guy that wrote that blog entry is a giant dick. If you aren't allowed to say something on a topic, keep your damn mouth shut. Don't jump around like an 8 year old kid saying "I know a secret! I know a secret."

And I'm sorry, but nothing in the comics industry, nothing at all, would be powerful enough to "break the internet." Unless Marvel is bringing Michael Jackson back from the dead, turning him black again, and releasing a Thriller quality video, most of the world won't even notice.

They're actually publishing human beings.

With super powers.

Also, am I the only one who's kind of pissed by the JSA split?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think you're the only one who read through Thy Kingdom Come.

Maybe Bale and Munch stuck around...

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ringo wrote: »

Funny you should say that, because I actually didn't bother.

But still, it's frustrating. The element of the team I love is just completely dissolved. So now we have what's pretty much Infinity, Inc. 3.0 and the normal JSA, which will be down to like 5 or 6 guys after this (and the solicits hint that one of them is probably dying before the groups split).

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

With super powers.

Looks like it. I predicted they'd do this way back when there was going to be two Justice League ongoings, so I'm not terribly surprised. There's just way too many members on the team to give each character the face time they deserve, so splitting it up is a good thing.

Also, I found this pretty funny:
    "Are you keeping Obsidian gay?" Willingham: "I'm almost 97% certain that there won't be a scene in an upcoming JSA where Obsidian says, 'oh, I'm cured! I like women now!" He accounted the 3% of doubt to the fact that he's a Republican.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stop the presses. STOP THE PRESSES! Marvel is going to publish SOMETHING!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Some preview art at the panels yesterday, I really like the JSA All Stars piece:

jsa.jpg

Now that Willingham is writing JSA I keep thinking Cyclone's pet monkey is actually Bufkin.

BLAPCAP001_Cov_colDW-100.jpg

ASM607_cov.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

With super powers.

Looks like it. I predicted they'd do this way back when there was going to be two Justice League ongoings, so I'm not terribly surprised. There's just way too many members on the team to give each character the face time they deserve, so splitting it up is a good thing.

Also, I found this pretty funny:
    "Are you keeping Obsidian gay?" Willingham: "I'm almost 97% certain that there won't be a scene in an upcoming JSA where Obsidian says, 'oh, I'm cured! I like women now!" He accounted the 3% of doubt to the fact that he's a Republican.

I don't read JSA so I don't care, but I do find it funny that the only way to differentiate between teams in the DC Universe, apparently, is to make one a normal team and the other EXTREME PROACTIVE JUSTICE.

It's like the same storyline in JLA and JSA!

Rans on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ringo wrote: »

I did, and by the end wished I hadn't. I'm dropping the book in light of the crappy preview for Willingham and Sturges' first issue though. I learned my lesson with Shadowpact.

Munch on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is that Blackcat cover from Ultimate or 616?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is that Blackcat cover from Ultimate or 616?

ASM 607

KVW on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I can't wait to get home and see some shaky-cam clips of Kick-Ass.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Who kneels on a pile of diamonds? She should have blood seeping out from under her legs.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Question and Batwoman will be switching places as backup/main story after 7 issues, then continuing to trade off every now and again.

That's neat, but I wonder how they're going to collect this stuff.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    probably The Question stories in one trade and the Batwoman stuff in another

Rans on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    FVL and Calero are reuniting for X-Men Noir II. I skipped out on DD and Punisher and Wolverine Noir, but I think I'll probably pick this one up.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    25 minutes until the Joe Q. panel where he's allegedly going to pick the internet up, and then break it in two over his knee.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rans wrote: »

Comedy answer: DC puts out trades? Oh you mean those things that don't come out for at least 2years?

(is still bitter about the crazy delays in the Sinestro Corps War trades)

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Question and Batwoman will be switching places as backup/main story after 7 issues, then continuing to trade off every now and again.

That's neat, but I wonder how they're going to collect this stuff.

I guess that's one way to get JH Williams to be a monthly artist.

And a sidenote, Newsarama is getting beat by CBR in the SDCC coverage pretty well these past two days.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Rans wrote: »

Comedy answer: DC puts out trades? Oh you mean those things that don't come out for at least 2years?

(is still bitter about the crazy delays in the Sinestro Corps War trades)

Big stories come out in expensive hardcovers 3-4 months after they finish as floppies, then come out in trade (and I've been measuring this) an average of 10-11 months later.

Yes, it it quite shitty.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So, I think the worst news of the con so far is definitely She-Rulk.

Honestly, what the fuck people.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hope they let JRJR draw the Miracleman/Marvelman series. Or Alan Davis.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Marvel owns the rights to Marvelman (Miracleman)

...my internet still works.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I cant understand how could this Rulk stuff is actually selling. What is next Red Rick Jones? Red Captain America or Red Spiderman -errr-?

It wouldnt hurt so much if it wasnt such a big backstep after the development of the hulk books that we had with the planet hulk books. It seems we will have another Rulk beats the marvel universe series all over again.

Dreamon on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I went to the wiki page to find out more about Marvelman and it was already updated. Ah the internet

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    When a fan complained of the dollar increase on series like "Hulk," Loeb gave him a dollar. Taking the complaint at face value, Buckley said price increases came as a result of "how we look at the value of what we're producing. You may not agree with it, and I totally respect that. We look at the prices and the appropriate value for the content that's in it." McCann mentioned that added content will be in some titles to offset the increases, but Buckley said he "won't add content to rationalize my approach" and that he has made the call on what titles sell at what prices based on value.

Buckley is a businessman, surely he could have worded his response a bit better than "You're not going to get any more content for the price increase." Especially when McCann said the opposite a few seconds prior.

And the Marvelman stuff, I guess it's more of a UK thing?

Also, it was hinted Loeb is doing something in the X-verse within the year.

TexiKen on