As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

indecisions in athkatla

pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in the mood for playing through BG2 SoA and ToB again, but i can't decide on which class to play as. I've done Irenicus' dungeon like a hundred times now with countless race/class/weapon prof combinations, but I just can't make a decision.
The last time i played through the games I played an elf swashbuckler. I prefer melee but wouldn't be opposed to a caster, and i like playing the thief classes but i could never master backstabbing.
What are your preferences?

what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
pogo mudder on

• Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I always played my main character based on what my party of NPCs needed.

Frankly, I always had less connection to my main character, and more to the NPCs in my crew - the 'main character' to me was simply filler to round out the party.

With that in mind, here were my all-time favorite party choices and main character compliment:

1:
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Jan -> Imoen (after spellhold)
    Keldorn -> Sarevok (after suldanessellar)
    Edwin
    Me: Half-Orc fighter or Elf Swashbuckler, anything that takes advantage of all the wonderous long swords in the game. Korgan will be using axes, Viconia the crom feyer, Jan/Imoen the short swords, short bows, and crossbows, Keldorn with the holy avenger and Sarevok with the black razor.

Korgan
    Viconia
    Mazzy
    Minsc
    Edwin
    Me: Bounty Hunter, swash, or straight thief, again using long swords.

Korgan
    Viconia
    Minsc
    Jan
    Keldorn
    Me: Wild Mage! Wild Mage! Wild Mage!

These are by no means the 'best' or 'strongest' combos - they are simply based on the NPCs I loved playing with.
    The dialogue and sidequests for Jan, Korgan, and Edwin are just too hilarious for me not to play with. Jaheira and Anomen annoy me to no end, I do my best to permanently kill them in any game I play. THe rest of the characters seem lacking in overall 'punch' to me, and don't have interesting enough stories for me to warrant handicapping myself in a game for.

If you've never heard the imoen/sarevok banter, the viconia/keldorn/jan banter, or the mazzy/korgan banter, you're doing yourself a disservice as well. So many fun combinations, but those were easily the funniest to me.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've never had the Imoen/Sarevok cmbo before so i'll have to try it out. I normally find myself playing one of the thief classes because after you lose Yoshimo I don't feel like many of the other thieves cut it. Does Jan do a good enough job?

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've never had the Imoen/Sarevok cmbo before so i'll have to try it out. I normally find myself playing one of the thief classes because after you lose Yoshimo I don't feel like many of the other thieves cut it. Does Jan do a good enough job?

Jan has the blessing and curse of being multi-class.
    I love the fact that his thief skills continue to improve, and his illusionnist spells are a nice compliment to Edwin's. Plus, the xbow from watcher's keep turns Jan into a freaking machine gun.
    He definitely has all the thief skill levels you'd need to finish the game with. Hell, Imoen can as well with the help of a potion or item once in a while, and she dualled out of thief at level 7.
    Jan's other benefit is that he's a gnome, which should be reason enough to play him.
    Beyond that, his dialogue is thoroughly entertaining.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    zhen_rogue wrote: »

Jan has the blessing and curse of being multi-class.
    I love the fact that his thief skills continue to improve, and his illusionnist spells are a nice compliment to Edwin's. Plus, the xbow from watcher's keep turns Jan into a freaking machine gun.
    He definitely has all the thief skill levels you'd need to finish the game with. Hell, Imoen can as well with the help of a potion or item once in a while, and she dualled out of thief at level 7.
    Jan's other benefit is that he's a gnome, which should be reason enough to play him.
    Beyond that, his dialogue is thoroughly entertaining.

Just be aware he has really low hit points. Low enough that a high level mage can open a fight with power word: kill and instantly make you hear a mournful "Don't forget to raise me . . ."

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Roll a multiplayer game with 2 custom characters. Make them both evil, and make sure one has some sort of thief skills. Switch the save file over to single player, pick up korgan, edwin, and viconia. Promptly start killing every single npc you can find.

Ethea on
  • Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got hooked on soloing mage multiclass characters. If I start a game with a full party I usually find myself missing the challenge (and xp rate) of soloing or using small parties. If you've never tried it, it might be fun. One point to note is that traps are 'just' spells and attacks, so you can defend against them with magic, or walk around them, you're not tied to a thief. I find it's a more tactical style of play than using a party where your fighters end up doing 90% of the work. Though I usually don't drop my party until I'm out of the starting dungeon.

One of my favorite play throughs was with a PC Elf Cleric/Mage and Aerie, no other NPCs. Lots of spells, lots of options, and a second character allows your PC to get mazed without it being game over which is occasionally relevant.

Raern on