As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroes of Newerth (HoN) - ITT we stop buying the Runed Axe already!

• Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't like this game. The K:D thing makes KSing an even bigger issue with people whining even more about it than usual, no one wants to die in a team battle so my entire team will just disappear even if I place a perfect meteor and elemental void (the two AoEs that enigma/tempest has). This access to everyone's stats just makes the community that much worse.

Games that are only fun when played with friends aren't really fun at all.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got an invite from someone here but I'm not sure so I would like to thank you Mr. Anonymous for making my day. I'll be looking for games tonight when I'm done downloading though I live in China. We'll see how the pings are.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd love an invite for a beta key if anyone still has any remaining!

Seguer on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It would be kind of nice if they put kills and assists in the same column, you know? I mean, they can track assists, so why not split the gold amongst everyone who assisted?

Of course, then you'd probably get people complaining about people sneaking in "just one hit" for the goldsteal.

TL;DR - People are always going to complain and bitch about things.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Imperfect wrote: »
    It would be kind of nice if they put kills and assists in the same column, you know? I mean, they can track assists, so why not split the gold amongst everyone who assisted?

Of course, then you'd probably get people complaining about people sneaking in "just one hit" for the goldsteal.

TL;DR - People are always going to complain and bitch about things.

They can follow Demigod's system.
    Eg. Killer gets 300 gold assist get 200 gold.

as for Kill : Death Ratio
    If they see Death > Kill it's immediately KICK for most games. (Non-Noob Games.)

So you are stuck with Noobs games for most part.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know DotA gives you gold for assists and I think that's the same in HoN. However assists in this game can be buggy. It apparently only registers assists if you damaged an enemy, and you won't get an assist if you used a non-damaging disable.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Battle JesusBattle Jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    no one wants to die in a team battle so my entire team will just disappear even if I place a perfect meteor and elemental void (the two AoEs that enigma/tempest has).

This right here is the cause of probably 60% of all of my deaths (the other ones being greed and not knowing which heroes do what yet). It drives me insane.

Battle Jesus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks like a patch late tomorrow that will implement basic clan functions, and 2 new heroes: Valkyrie (potm port) and a brand new guy named Maliken. Also other stuff such as a new rating system and a team auto balance feature.

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sorry to whoever I pissed off last night with my shitty Chronos playing. I'm pretty new to this and I try to stick to ranged characters but that game was random chars.

I think there's stuff that I just don't get very well about this game. As much as I try not to be a feeder I often end up in situations where one moment I'm full health or almost, killing creeps when suddenly some guy shows up and 3 seconds later I'm dead no matter what I do.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    try to keep an eye on the mini map. Your team should be warning you if the opponent they are paired with goes missing. If that happens try not to get too far from a safe area (either a tower early game or your team mates late game)

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Sorry to whoever I pissed off last night with my shitty Chronos playing. I'm pretty new to this and I try to stick to ranged characters but that game was random chars.

I think there's stuff that I just don't get very well about this game. As much as I try not to be a feeder I often end up in situations where one moment I'm full health or almost, killing creeps when suddenly some guy shows up and 3 seconds later I'm dead no matter what I do.

lol you weren't bad. There were a few times that as blood seeker I had a hard time catching you.

However - this is the problem. Here are the reasons why you might die to a hero.

1. You have no clue what they are capable of.
    I'm working with a friend right now - you played with him last night, Wark. I'm going through, playing 1v1, and explaining to him everything these heroes can do in voice chat and also how to bait, harass, and practice these skills. If you want in, maybe we can set up training or something. But understanding heroes, their builds, and the strategies behind them will save your ass and that is why really good players can get away with running in with no HP and come out with a kill.

2. You are out-leveled.

In that game - to be frank - I had out-leveled everyone on your team. I kept ganking a variety of people every time my ulti was up - and it appeared as if some people didnt know what my ulti did, or how my bloodrage worked. But once I was five levels ahead of you guys, it would require either a lot of disables or farming to match me. Unfortunately, the neutral creeps in this game are harder to kill than dota, so catching up is tough.

3. Out farmed

More items due to last hitting and denying.

So believe me - I've played dota for 3 years now and for the first 6 months, I wanted to quit. The only reason why I stayed and played was cause one of my friends would play with me. But we fed like hell the first few months.

The key is lots of games - and don't care about the feeding - just do your best. If one thing fails, be aware of it and try to understand why it failed.

*On Another Note*

Everyone should be checking the forums. Good strats and info there. If I write up a good OP - can someone edit it in?

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    If I write up a good OP - can someone edit it in?

Happily. I'm a total noob and as such, I don't know enough about strat to put up a reasonable OP for that.

Either post it in here or PM it to me and I'll make sure it goes up.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

lol you weren't bad. There were a few times that as blood seeker I had a hard time catching you.

However - this is the problem. Here are the reasons why you might die to a hero.

1. You have no clue what they are capable of.
    I'm working with a friend right now - you played with him last night, Wark. I'm going through, playing 1v1, and explaining to him everything these heroes can do in voice chat and also how to bait, harass, and practice these skills. If you want in, maybe we can set up training or something. But understanding heroes, their builds, and the strategies behind them will save your ass and that is why really good players can get away with running in with no HP and come out with a kill.

2. You are out-leveled.

In that game - to be frank - I had out-leveled everyone on your team. I kept ganking a variety of people every time my ulti was up - and it appeared as if some people didnt know what my ulti did, or how my bloodrage worked. But once I was five levels ahead of you guys, it would require either a lot of disables or farming to match me. Unfortunately, the neutral creeps in this game are harder to kill than dota, so catching up is tough.

3. Out farmed

More items due to last hitting and denying.

So believe me - I've played dota for 3 years now and for the first 6 months, I wanted to quit. The only reason why I stayed and played was cause one of my friends would play with me. But we fed like hell the first few months.

The key is lots of games - and don't care about the feeding - just do your best. If one thing fails, be aware of it and try to understand why it failed.

*On Another Note*

Everyone should be checking the forums. Good strats and info there. If I write up a good OP - can someone edit it in?

Thanks for the tips! I'll try to learn what heroes can do as I play more games.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God, I am bad at this stuff.

Why does the vent need 5 channels for this game? I am pissed. Super pissed.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Could I snag a key for a friend of mine, please?

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's pretty frustrating to go 18-2, be level 25, and have the rest of your team stagnant at level 10. There's still so many people learning how to play this game in pubs and dear god does it show.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's pretty frustrating to go 18-2, be level 25, and have the rest of your team stagnant at level 10. There's still so many people learning how to play this game in pubs and dear god does it show.

Look at Kill : Death Ratio and kick people without 100 more kills than death.
    And there you go, a game full of pro killers.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dis wrote: »

Look at Kill : Death Ratio and kick people without 100 more kills than death.
    And there you go, a game full of pro killers.

They don't need to be killers. It's just frustrating to see what could have been an easy win turn into a nightmare when the opposing team has a blood seeker as fed as I am and a poorly coordinated team of four level 17 heroes.

Rhasta has three disables and he was still getting man handled haha.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I checked the last two pages... not sure if there are keys available or not. I had no clue this wasn't a F2P Asian MMO and instead a DotA game.

But if somebody has a key I will be all up ins! TYVM.

zeppelin on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got a beta key, add me as elliotw2

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    ThugsBunnyThugsBunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm in the beta as Thugsbunny

I won't be able to play the next month though as I'm going backpacking in Japan for a month tomorrow!

ThugsBunny on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I playeda couple games wiht Starscream last night, and I did well when he had my back. when I was ina lane wiht anyone else, they'd let me get decimated, or steal my kills. =\

Also, I used Wildsoul and actually did pretty well despite what some people said. I just had to avoid tempest so he couldn't turn my bear into elementals.

EDIT I still can't seem to pick something and stick with it, since I have no clue what items go with which hero to make them good in the mid to late game.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SomethingorotherSomethingorother Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Would you guys mind if I tried this out? The fact that spans across Linux, Windows, and Mac is very appealing to me, as my group of friends at school had the unfortunate problem of being unable to play with each other due to different OS's.

Somethingorother on
  • Options
    Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, anyone have any keys available? I played quite a bit of DotA way back when and was looking for something to fill up the hours.

Winnie The Pooh on
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, you just need to develop situational awareness. Your team should be helping on this, but in pub games its pretty hit or miss on whether they will notify people of missing heroes. Generally people will call mia on any heroes if they have been out of sight an appreciable amount of time. That will be a red flag that a gank is about to happen, especially if the heroes gone missing are known to be strong gankers. Other times it means that they just backed up to go buy or heal, but better safe than sorry.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I should be getting my key here soon from being a fan on Facebook.

Seems a lot of fun.

Hawk on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's going to be a round of keys going out on facebook once the patch hits tonight

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    from a complete newbs perspective, this game is rather daunting to try and get into. I mean, I know nothing really about the heroes or items, and it just feels like that is going to put me at a huge disadvantage.

I fired this up and played around by myself just to try and figure out how things worked with a few of the heroes. it seems quite fun but i'm just worried about getting my face stomped in while some elitist dick has to tell me how bad he's stomping my face in.

I haven't had the time to get into other than that.

on the other hand, i liked both jereziah and demented shaman. I feel pretty good with support heroes.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    First person to PM me their e-mail gets a key. I don't have nearly enough time to spend learning this game.

Edit: gone.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Feldorn wrote: »
    from a complete newbs perspective, this game is rather daunting to try and get into. I mean, I know nothing really about the heroes or items, and it just feels like that is going to put me at a huge disadvantage.

I fired this up and played around by myself just to try and figure out how things worked with a few of the heroes. it seems quite fun but i'm just worried about getting my face stomped in while some elitist dick has to tell me how bad he's stomping my face in.

on the other hand, i liked both jereziah and demented shaman. I feel pretty good with support heroes.

Are you useast or west? You could always train with a my friend and I.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

HoN, much like DoTA is very daunting and hard to get into. The only other game I could compare it to is Counter-Strike, except people in CS are nicer. A good CS player can still mop up the other team if there's a few shitty players on his team. In DoTA/HoN one bad player can lose the game for the entire team by dying a lot and giving the other team an insurmountable early experience and gold boost, which is why the community is pretty fucking horrendous.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the key, good sir!

Edit: Holy fuck, should I be torrenting this thing? 29 days left on the download from the site.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was pretty good at counter-strike :P

also, i'm on the west coast. the biggest thing is all the characters/skills to learn and then the items o_O

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I was pretty good at counter-strike :P

also, i'm on the west coast. the biggest thing is all the characters/skills to learn and then the items o_O

We could always play on a central server.

Mmmm...I'd say knowledge plays a larger role early on rather than technical skill. The technical skill will come later. A new OP was written up with guides, so it should be up on page 1 soon with links.

Work one one hero at a time - preferably ranged.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, soloing mid as blood hunter against a pyro sucked. Never notice how important early creep kills are until you can't get them.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    how do you get more beta keys?

Also glacius is awsome!!!

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I checked on my download, it said I had 237 days left. I said fuck it and found a torrent. Now, the game won't patch 1.21 to 1.29. Is the patcher down or do I need to find some different way to download the game? I get to about 4% then it stops, patch bar goes away like its done. No games show, can't joing chat, can't create. Bah.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wow. So apparently Google Chrome downloads so fucking slow. Went to the beta site with IE and I've got the client downloaded in about six minutes. Wiiieeerrd.

HA fuck you game. Problems solved and I'm ready to play!

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    anyone with a spare beta key? it says i reached my limit, and i wanna play with my friend (he wants to too!)
    his email is phobos487@yahoo.com. thanks in advance!

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If anyone has a key left, I'd be happy to receive one, this game seems like a blast!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg