What would Brian Boitano [Chat]?

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    japan wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    First time they started doing that here was weird

It's just like HOLY SHIT A CHIPOTLE BURRITO HAS 1200 CALORIES?!!
    When I worked for Starbucks one of the UK tabloids did a huge "exposé" on the number of calories in their drinks. I ended up having a number of conversations/arguments about this. Mostly they revolved around me saying "It's more than a pint of whole milk with a ton of syrup in it. What were you expecting?"
    Yeah, most Starbucks drinks would be more properly classified as "milkshakes" than "coffee."

I mean, really, proper coffee has zero calories.

Yeah, it always used to amaze me that there were people who could drink three of the largest size milk based drinks per day, given that the largest size is about 600ml and whole milk unless otherwise specified.

It was always interesting to see how new starts reacted to having essentially unlimited starbucks coffee on tap. Most of them went nuts trying out all the different gimmicks in the largest size for about a week before settling on half a small cup of something relatively mundane.
    How the fuck can people afford three of the largest drinks a day? Goddamn.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    First time they started doing that here was weird

It's just like HOLY SHIT A CHIPOTLE BURRITO HAS 1200 CALORIES?!!

Om nom nom. I'm a terminally skinny dude, so that's music to my ears. Just a few weeks ago, I was at the store with a buddy, comparing two pizzas. They cost the same, and both looked pretty good. I just went with the higher caloric content. He punched me on the shoulder.

TL DR on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That too.

I was once memorably lectured by one of them about how much more money I'd have if I gave up smoking. Even with the UK's relatively inflated cigarette prices, my habit cost half as much a day as hers did.

japan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't stand the creamy sugary shit at Starbucks. Yeah, it's more like a milkshake... and not just that, but a milkshake that has had a couple shots of flavored sugar syrup.

I like my skim lattes, thanks. If I'm really feeling a sweet tooth, a sugarfree vanilla shot will do (and even that's a little too sweet for me). I've thought about ordering half-shots of sugarfree syrup, but I can't shake the feeling that once you start asking for half of an ingredient in your coffee order, you've fallen into the rabbit hole and it's only a matter of time before you're ordering double skinny caramel half-caf no-foam macchiatos with extra room.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »
    roses are red
    violets are blue
    maybe you should eat less
    And maybe I should too.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That too.

I was once memorably lectured by one of them about how much more money I'd have if I gave up smoking. Even with the UK's relatively inflated cigarette prices, my habit cost half as much a day as hers did.
    Plus, your habit makes you thinner.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So the house I'm staying at got broken into last night. Pretty sure they hopped the fence, came in through the back and then left out the front door. All things considered it could have been a lot worse, they only grabbed two phones and one purse. I mean, all of us were asleep in the house when it happened, but luckily no one got hurt.

I'm just very shaken up and angry, with no one to be angry at right now.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Average coffee consumption per year for a Swedish citizen is estimated at $900 - $1300. When I heard this I cut down so much.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I'm at the auto shop right now using their wifi and Nickelodeon is on the TV here.

I'm frightened.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Spongebob is strangely hypnotic. It seems to contain absolutely no redeeming value but once my eyes focus on the screen it becomes disturbingly difficult to look away.

Feral on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    I can't stand the creamy sugary shit at Starbucks. Yeah, it's more like a milkshake... and not just that, but a milkshake that has had a couple shots of flavored sugar syrup.

I like my skim lattes, thanks. If I'm really feeling a sweet tooth, a sugarfree vanilla shot will do (and even that's a little too sweet for me). I've thought about ordering half-shots of sugarfree syrup, but I can't shake the feeling that once you start asking for half of an ingredient in your coffee order, you've fallen into the rabbit hole and it's only a matter of time before you're ordering double skinny caramel half-caf no-foam macchiatos with extra room.

We actually put pumps of syrup in our drinks, do you mean like only getting half a pump? Man, that's really no trouble for a barista.

(Also sugar free syrups and skim milk are both gross, at least you don't get a decaf, otherwise you'd be getting a tall why bother)

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There's some Madagascar spinoff with this dancing meerkat wearing a leaf headdress.

I don't understand why he is dancing or why the penguins hate him.

Feral on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I am a complete pain in the arse at Starbucks.

Usually I get the smallest Americano and ask them to use half the hot water they usually do. You'd think that would be relatively easy, but it doesn't fit into their coded labelling system the use for writing down orders, so it's a bit of a gamble.

As far as asking for less syrup, loads of people ask for that. If you get the standard amount it really is intolerably sweet.

japan on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Starbucks drinks (at least in the states) are not whole milk unless otherwise specified, they are 2% milk. They used to be whole milk, but that changed a year or two back.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Spongebob is strangely hypnotic. It seems to contain absolutely no redeeming value but once my eyes focus on the screen it becomes disturbingly difficult to look away.
    I too find Spongebob to be incredibly absorbing.

Bama on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Spongebob is awesome.

James on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Usually I get the smallest Americano and ask them to use half the hot water they usually do. You'd think that would be relatively easy, but it doesn't fit into their coded labelling system the use for writing down orders, so it's a bit of a gamble.

As far as asking for less syrup, loads of people ask for that. If you get the standard amount it really is intolerably sweet.

Any barista that can't handle that is a moron. You simply put a dash on a cup where the customer wants the water to and write H2O next to it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    I too find Spongebob to be incredibly absorbing.

I enjoy watching it with my daughter. She'll giggle and laugh and whatnot. We watch it like once a week or so.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I drink one single cup of coffee per work day. Sometimes, on the weekends, if I go out for breakfast, I'll have a couple of cups.

And that's straight, black coffee. Maybe once every couple of months I'll get a mint chocolate macchiatto thing at Starbucks, but I basically consider that a special treat, like a milkshake or something. I mean, don't get me wrong, they're good, but they're also, like, five bucks, and ridiculously unhealthy.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Starbucks drinks (at least in the states) are not whole milk unless otherwise specified, they are 2% milk. They used to be whole milk, but that changed a year or two back.

This may be a US/UK difference, or I may be out of date. At the time I worked there (which is a while ago now) it was definitely whole milk.

japan on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I just don't think I could do it without feeling like one of those chicks whose coffee order takes 15 minutes.

Feral on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Speaking of expensive habits, I own Magic cards again.

D:

Feral on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

This may be a US/UK difference, or I may be out of date. At the time I worked there (which is a while ago now) it was definitely whole milk.
    It was a price saving measure in the US honestly, when dairy went through the roof. They raised the prices of most drinks 5-10 cents too.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Feral, I'm considering trying to turn your last three posts into a sig. edit: the Nickelodeon ones.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's some Madagascar spinoff with this dancing meerkat wearing a leaf headdress.

I don't understand why he is dancing or why the penguins hate him.

Racism.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I drink one single cup of coffee per work day. Sometimes, on the weekends, if I go out for breakfast, I'll have a couple of cups.

And that's straight, black coffee. Maybe once every couple of months I'll get a mint chocolate macchiatto thing at Starbucks, but I basically consider that a special treat, like a milkshake or something. I mean, don't get me wrong, they're good, but they're also, like, five bucks, and ridiculously unhealthy.

I usually grab a tall iced latte once a day, or nothing at all, depending. To be fair, I get my drinks for either free or half price, depending on what store I go to, and I like getting in some milk everyday.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Any barista that can't handle that is a moron. You simply put a dash on a cup where the customer wants the water to and write H2O next to it.

Oh I know. My experiences of Starbucks since I left the company have not really been particularly positive, even if I am hyper-critical because I know how it should work.

japan on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

D:

Do you mainline them (MODO) or smoke them (IRL).

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

And that's straight, black coffee.
    ^5

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Feral, I'm considering trying to turn your last three posts into a sig. edit: the Nickelodeon ones.

Go for it?

Feral on

• Options
    edited July 2009

I wasn't aware that anyone outside of the States actually drank Americanos.

I don't usually go to Starbucks for coffee, because there are so many better options out there. Though, the whole bean stuff my office buys from Costco which they get from Starbucks is very good. Especially when you're using, like, a cup of coffee grounds per pot, and only using it for one pot. You can just about stand a fork up in the stuff. So good.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Whenever I go to Starbucks (not often) I get one of those strawberry blended lemonades, or a strawberries and creme thing with a shot of mocha.

If the weather is colder I just get hot chocolate.

James on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

D:

I tried the G&T MTGO league and didn't enjoy it much.

But I did a M2010 sealed event that was being run by my girlfriend's husband and had a lot more fun.

In short, I have a few of both right now.

Feral on

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Go for it?

iz hard. Need to distill excellence.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's all about making coffee in a french press, for the record.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I just don't think I could do it without feeling like one of those chicks whose coffee order takes 15 minutes.
    Try ordering a cup of black coffee at one, sometime.

They look at you like you're speaking a foreign language.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

But I did a M2010 sealed event that was being run by my girlfriend's husband and had a lot more fun.

2010, play using the new rules then? How are they...?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

D:

Good deal. I wasn't ever a huge leagues person. We had no stores in the area, so I got into MTGO pretty exclusively.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Try ordering a cup of black coffee at one, sometime.

They look at you like you're speaking a foreign language.

Actually, they are looking at you like the saint you are, because you just ordered the absolutely simplest, most painless thing to make on the entire menu.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I pretty much cut coffee out totally when I stopped having to wake up at 6:30 AM to do manual labor. Now I drink tea, which is much better for energy without it ascending into mania. I also have some cold-brewed coffee in the fridge right now, but it's going on 36 hours so I dunno how good it is. Also I'm out of coffee filters and using cheese cloth is a pain.

TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.